Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Strain guages

I know some of you have good technical backgrounds. I am very new to this type of stuff but am trying to learn. Searching for the right hardware is difficult because I am not quite sure what I am looking for or what the technical verbiage means.

Anyway, I am looking for a very small strain Guage, maybe 5mm x 5mm maximum. Something that is water proof. I want it to be accurate to the hundredth of an ounce or tenth of a mL. I want it to be able to measure the weight of fluid on top of it basically.

Getting even more technical, I want to be able to transmit this data via Bluetooth. So as far as I know I need a strain Guage, a micro Bluetooth chip, and a power source (battery). Do I also need a microcontroller?

I have no clue what that it, but it might help you find one if you spell it correctly.

I have no clue what that it, but it might help you find one if you spell it correctly.

He's looking for a Gwage, don't you have one?

They seem to be on a much larger scale

much larger gauge, if you will

I use my bunghole to gauge strain. If it bleeds, I pushed too hard.

Took the words right out of my butt. :D

I was thinking hemorrhoid size. :thumbsup:

Ok so I think I have found what I am looking for, and it is not a strain gauge. I am looking for a Load Cell, which can contain Strain Gauges if on a larger scale. So I found a nice cheap Load Cell with a Load Cell AD Module (this one includes an amplifier if I read it correctly) included for less than $5. Now I need to get the microcontroller, probably an Arduino Uno, and I need to figure out how much battery I need to supply all this with power. Since I never paid attention to electricity and what all the measurements mean, I am going to have to start learning.