Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

O line changes and their impacts

ok guys, this topic has been touched upon in a couple of other threads, and I'm a big believer that the line is a large contributor to the success (or lack of success) of most RB's.

I also believe the line contributes heavily to the success or failure of a QB.

Naturally, there are a handful of RB's and QB's whose skill allows them to perform even with a sub par line.

I'd like this thread to be almost completely focused on the O line's. Any team is fair game.

There was talk on another thread about the Oakland O line and the fact that Webb wont be starting again this year is expected to make a major impact.

Other teams in dire need of O line help going into this off-season were Miami, the Chargers, the Titans, the Eagles, the Lions (44 sacks for Stafford is way too many), and the Broncos (to name a few).

There are other teams who also need help on the line, and honestly, I'd bet that half the teams in the NFL not mentioned above are looking to upgrade the line somewhere.

It is a reasonably decent draft class for OT prospects. Not a great one for guards, and a mediocre one for Centers.

In most of the readings, it looks like the first guard and center are expected to go in the 2nd round, but 5-6 Tackles are expected to go in round 1. Some of these guys will inevitably become guards if they cant cut it on the edge.

Many of the rookie offensive linemen struggled badly last season. With the exception of Brandon Scherff, and perhaps Rob Havenstein of the Rams, all graded out from average to very poorly.

Many of the rookie offensive linemen struggled badly last season. With the exception of Brandon Scherff, and perhaps Rob Havenstein of the Rams, all graded out from average to very poorly.

Yes, the Rams look to be better at Tackle with the addition of Havenstein, and Greg Robinson the year before.

Both players were okay, but both have room to grow. Third round pick Jamon Brown started at guard until he got hurt and wasnt bad. This is a young line that is on the rise to be sure.

I'd like to see them draft a Center. and the top 2 on the board wont likely be first round selections.

I could see them grabbing a QB in this draft before they draft any O linemen. I'd say there is a chance they could grab a WR as well.

I'd be inclined to go QB in the first round, Center in the second round, and WR in the third.

I wouldnt be totally surprised if I was wrong in the order.

But a Center such as Ryan Kelly would be a nice add for this line. Possibly Tuerk.

With some good coaching, both may be capable of starting immediately.

The Eagles offensive line got some major help with Brooks. The guard play for the Eagles really struggled early last season, but found some credibility as the season went on.

The underlying question for Philly is how long Jason Peters can produce, and whether they'd want to get either his, or Lane's replacement in this draft. Ronnie Stanley is a guy I've heard a decent amount of from draft talk, but I just don't see a lineman being taken in the top-10 that won't start at his natural position.

Its a lot easier for armchair coaches to say, "Slide him to guard" than it is for players to actually make that transition. The game is faster in the middle and D-linemen are usually not only bigger, but stronger than outside pass-rushers.

I think the Eagles need to go heavy on the interior linemen this draft after the first pick. They might even want a backup center as Kelce is not a spring chicken anymore either.

Should they get some help there, it could make whomever the Eagles have in the backfield a bit of a underrated value play.

The Eagles offensive line got some major help with Brooks. The guard play for the Eagles really struggled early last season, but found some credibility as the season went on.

The underlying question for Philly is how long Jason Peters can produce, and whether they'd want to get either his, or Lane's replacement in this draft. Ronnie Stanley is a guy I've heard a decent amount of from draft talk, but I just don't see a lineman being taken in the top-10 that won't start at his natural position.

Its a lot easier for armchair coaches to say, "Slide him to guard" than it is for players to actually make that transition. The game is faster in the middle and D-linemen are usually not only bigger, but stronger than outside pass-rushers.

I think the Eagles need to go heavy on the interior linemen this draft after the first pick. They might even want a backup center as Kelce is not a spring chicken anymore either.

Should they get some help there, it could make whomever the Eagles have in the backfield a bit of a underrated value play.

Agreed.

I'd be very surprised if the Eagles didnt get some help on the line in the first 2-3 picks.

for me, the question is which round will they pick someone?

Peters performed well enough, but at 34, you are correct. his replacement needs to be planned for.

I think Peters replacement is likely a year away unless they draft him now and plug him in at guard for a year. If this happened, you may be looking at a situation where the eagles draft a Tackle in round 1, Plug him in at guard for a year, and grab a Center in round 2 or 3.

but the Eagles also have need on the D line. and they dont have enough draft picks to fill both needs.

so I think it is more likely they draft someone for the defense in round 1.

a Center or guard in round 2, and look into Peters replacement next year.

The problem is for the Eagles: They don't have a second round pick this year. They lost it in the Nick Foles trade.

And that further increases the need to hit on the eighth pick. The Eagles have one pick in the top 76. They then have three picks in the next 24 picks. There's always bread and butter in the 3rd rounds. Get a stud in the top ten to start at his position from day one (ie: BPA) and address needs when the meat and potatoes of the roster (fourth food item referenced, I'm hungry waiting for Easter dinner).

I just don't think taking a tackle making the (temporary?) transition to guard is a wise choice when other players can serve an immediate need. It seems that the Eagles have four options. Move up and get a QB, draft either Hargreaves or Zeke at 8, or trade down a bit and acquire some draft capital. Howie does love to have a bevy of draft picks at his disposal.

There are a lot of 2-4th round guards in this draft, and some could be decent in the NFL in my opinion. Joshua Garnett is a solid run-blocker, though I think he'll be gone before 77. Denver Kirkland is built in the same mold but with a bit longer arms. Should the Eagles be able to move down and get a late 2nd or early 3rd..

The Eagles need maulers. They held up in pass protection fairly well, but inside swim moves burned them numerous times last year. Opposing defenses were able to get a lot of penetration in the interior of those zone sweeps. Our guards just couldn't pull and attack.

A guy to look for in the draft that could slip is Landon Turner. His sheer size fits the bill (6'5 327), and word was that he looked good during the positional drills for UNC other than his conditioning. He's on the mend from an injury I believe. While I don't think he'll be more than depth his rookie season, that's exactly what the Eagles need. I could easily see him being taken at 77 or 79

The problem is for the Eagles: They don't have a second round pick this year. They lost it in the Nick Foles trade.

And that further increases the need to hit on the eighth pick. The Eagles have one pick in the top 76. They then have three picks in the next 24 picks. There's always bread and butter in the 3rd rounds. Get a stud in the top ten to start at his position from day one (ie: BPA) and address needs when the meat and potatoes of the roster (fourth food item referenced, I'm hungry waiting for Easter dinner).

I just don't think taking a tackle making the (temporary?) transition to guard is a wise choice when other players can serve an immediate need. It seems that the Eagles have four options. Move up and get a QB, draft either Hargreaves or Zeke at 8, or trade down a bit and acquire some draft capital. Howie does love to have a bevy of draft picks at his disposal.

There are a lot of 2-4th round guards in this draft, and some could be decent in the NFL in my opinion. Joshua Garnett is a solid run-blocker, though I think he'll be gone before 77. Denver Kirkland is built in the same mold but with a bit longer arms. Should the Eagles be able to move down and get a late 2nd or early 3rd..

The Eagles need maulers. They held up in pass protection fairly well, but inside swim moves burned them numerous times last year. Opposing defenses were able to get a lot of penetration in the interior of those zone sweeps. Our guards just couldn't pull and attack.

A guy to look for in the draft that could slip is Landon Turner. His sheer size fits the bill (6'5 327), and word was that he looked good during the positional drills for UNC other than his conditioning. He's on the mend from an injury I believe. While I don't think he'll be more than depth his rookie season, that's exactly what the Eagles need. I could easily see him being taken at 77 or 79

I forgot that they sent the 2nd away.

I agree, value could be had in the third.

I figure there are 2-3 centers who project out in the second, but could drop to the third as well.

but the top 2 on the list could potentially start right away. (which makes them more desireable in some respects)

I agree, some talent is available at guard. I know the top couple are expected to go in round 2, but could slip to round 3. I havnt looked at all the scouting reports on the guards, but I got the impression that most (other than the top 2-3 guys) would not start right away. a few of those projected to go in round 3 or later need to gain some muscle mass or need some time to refine their technique, and project to start in a year or so.

There is usually one or two exceptions who step the game up (or put on the required weight with a huge offseason workout program) but it is looking like the Eagles may need to be a bit patient.

Ok, since this has been a topic of conversation on other threads, I'm gonna discuss the Denver Situation.

to begin, I'm going to summarize what happened last year.

1) Clady got hurt on the first day of camp(ACL). Arguably he was the best Blocker on the line. he has had some pro bowl seasons in the past.

2) his replacement- Rookie (2nd round pick) Ty Sambrailo gets hurt a couple games into the regular season. This forces RT Ryan Harris to move from RT to LT.

3) Schofield and Polumbus take turns playing at RT with Schofield taking most of the snaps there. Polumbus is more of a reserve who played sparingly.

4) Vasquez, Mathis play the two guard spots with Max Garcia rotating in and out at both spots at times depending on injury and fatigue.

Injuries to Vasquez and Mathis dont cause much in terms of time lost(1 game each I think) , but are enough to destabilize the line further.

The line performed poorly. I dont think anyone disagrees. I do think a good chunk of the problem was injuries and lack of depth.

That being said, The broncos are asking for a restructured deal for Clady, and may trade him or cut him if he wont take less money.

to summarize:

Clady, when healthy, has been a stud. but he has missed a lot of time to a Lis Franc injury and to an ACL Tear. Lis Franc(foot) injuries are notoriously bad to come back from and by itself is a serious concern (in some respects even moreso than the torn ACL) As such, it is not surprising that Okung was brought in.

Pradis © didnt play his rookie year(essentially a red shirt season for a 6th round pick out of college) and came out this last year and played surprisingly well for a first year starter. He is pencilled in to start again at C.

I suspect 2nd round pick Sambrailo will start somewhere, but he is a question mark. My guess is that he plays guard, but Right Tackle isnt out of the question.

Harris, who played LT last year may move back to RT where the pressure isnt as strong, but could move inside to play guard.

Schofield, a third round pick 2 years ago who played RT most of last year, looked slow and was often beat by speed rushers, and may be better suited to play inside. He's good in the run game, and he is a big body.

There is no guarantee that the guys who played tackle will be successful moving inside to play guard, but the interior line positions are generally considered to be less demanding, so a lot of tackles are able to make that transition. Based on this, they MAY actually be okay.

The larger issue is can they stay healthy.

If Clady is traded The team will get some much needed cap space.

If he restructures the contract to take less money, a move to RT may make a real difference to this line. (so long as he remains healthy)

I think it is more likely the Broncos trade him away to generate cap space to sign someone else (QB maybe?) and take another player in the draft.

Vasquez and Mathis (the guards from last year) are both gone.

Mathis was good for the run block, not so good on the pass block. His departure will hurt the run game, but may help the pass game.

Vasquez will be missed I think. hes also a good run blocker.

I think the largest difference from last year to this year, is that the team will have a reliable player at LT. Harris (or Sambrailo) will be able to play at RT, Paradis will have another year of experience at C and Schofield wont have to play RT.

so LT and RT should be better (assuming starters remain healthy) and C should be better (assuming Paradis takes a step forward) The question here is the guard positions. This would be a logical position for the broncos to draft for, even if Harris or Sambrailo can move inside with success.

That's a great write up, thanks. Translated I'd say that offensive line is a mess. Yeoman's work was done by Garcia, he really saved them last year. They'll miss Vazquez, not sure why they ran him.

You assume Sambrailo will be passable, but he basically was shelved all last season. Rookie offensive linemen from the 2015 draft struggled badly, almost to a man. Outside of Scherff, and maybe Rob Havenstein and Ali Marpet, none scored positive grades. Lael Collins, Laken Tomlinson, Flowers (the guy NY took NINTH overall), had PFF grades in the 50's or lower. I wouldn't count on Sambrailo to carry the mail.

Clady is done, Harris is passable but hardly a premier RT. The Raiders passed on Okung, even at his Walmart rate. Schofield was a blocking sled for Khalil Mack last year.

Glad this thread was started, as it brings light to the Chinese fire drill happening on the offensive line in Denver. Lol, I'm amused at folks just assuming they'll run the ball and protect whatever scrub is at QB. The draft is fairly deep at guard but not tackle. They MAY get Decker in the bottom of the first, but have other needs as well.

Either way, Raider fans relishing the chance to get some payback.

That's a great write up, thanks. Translated I'd say that offensive line is a mess. Yeoman's work was done by Garcia, he really saved them last year. They'll miss Vazquez, not sure why they ran him.

You assume Sambrailo will be passable, but he basically was shelved all last season. Rookie offensive linemen from the 2015 draft struggled badly, almost to a man. Outside of Scherff, and maybe Rob Havenstein and Ali Marpet, none scored positive grades. Lael Collins, Laken Tomlinson, Flowers (the guy NY took NINTH overall), had PFF grades in the 50's or lower. I wouldn't count on Sambrailo to carry the mail.

Clady is done, Harris is passable but hardly a premier RT. The Raiders passed on Okung, even at his Walmart rate. Schofield was a blocking sled for Khalil Mack last year.

Glad this thread was started, as it brings light to the Chinese fire drill happening on the offensive line in Denver. Lol, I'm amused at folks just assuming they'll run the ball and protect whatever scrub is at QB. The draft is fairly deep at guard but not tackle. They MAY get Decker in the bottom of the first, but have other needs as well.

Either way, Raider fans relishing the chance to get some payback.

honestly, I dont know for sure if Sambrailo will be passable or not. The sample size is too small. Rookies do tend to struggle a bit in the early games.

He was a second round pick which is an indication that he has some talent. And I have to think the team thought a lot of him if they were going to start him at LT ahead of Harris. I agree Harris is passable, but hes certainly no stud.

all I did was post what happened and then speculate on what the team may do. They have lots of Tackles, few guards. some of those guys are good candidates to move inside as I dont think they are strong enough to work the edge which requires a lot more quickness to handle the speed rushers you get on the edge. Some may be able to make the transition, some may not.

I did see an article saying that numerous teams are interested in Clady, so the Broncos may have some options there.

Either way, I would be very surprised if they didnt grab a guard (or another tackle) in the draft.

I have no doubt this line is better healthy than injured (like they were last year) but I still question the ability of these guys to stay healthy.

If they find interest in Clady, they'd be smart to trade him away. The cap hit of 10 M will allow them to sign someone else.

the buyout wouldnt save as much cap space, but is also a legit option.

Mick, would you do the write up for Oak please? Also would like siren song or Cruzer to do Dallas. I'll do the Bears in a week or so.

Mick, would you do the write up for Oak please? Also would like siren song or Cruzer to do Dallas. I'll do the Bears in a week or so.

Oakland was next on my list, but if Mick is an Oakland Homer, it may be better to leave this to him (if hes willing). Ideally I'd like some of the homers to chime in on this thread cuz sometimes they notice things that others dont see.

Oakland was next on my list, but if Mick is an Oakland Homer, it may be better to leave this to him (if hes willing). Ideally I'd like some of the homers to chime in on this thread cuz sometimes they notice things that others dont see.

Blowing town this weekend, so was going to look at it when I got back. Basically am going to sell Oakland as a Top 2 offensive line, and show why.

The San Diego Chargers O line has had a lot of issues this year. While the Sack numbers arent bad, this stat is deceiving because Rivers has one of the fastest releases in the NFL. But make no mistake about it, he was under pressure a lot. and the run game ranked 31st in the NFL.

Summary: This unit was ravaged by injury in 2015.

King Dunlap signed a 4 year 28 million dollar contract then started only 7 games last year.

They brought in Orlando Franklin from Denver via Free Agency and he missed 6 games.

Fluker missed 4 games

Center/guard Chriss Watt spent most of the season on IR.

Trevor Robinson was projected to be a backup, but he started 13 games.

The only player to start every game was Right Tackle Joe Barksdale who has resigned for 4 years

The end result was not good overall.

the Weak Links:

Center: Trevor Robinson was beat in both the pass and Run blocking and an upgrade is needed here.

Guard: The chargers moved Chris Watt from Center to Guard, but he didnt get a lot of playing time due to a shoulder injury that ended his season. The scouting report I saw said that his limited time at guard wasnt pretty.

That being said, sometimes it takes some time for someone to make an adjustment like this, so the jury is out whether he is the answer there but the early returns suggest he's not the answer. It sounds like they will continue with DJ Fluker at the other guard spot.

They may move Watt Back to Center which may or may not help, but the bottom line is they need personell to strengthen the starting lineup, and the depth which has proved to be inadequate needs an upgrade as well.

Regardless of all this, I think a guard or a Center is a must draft for the team this year. If they dont grab one or the other in the first 2-3 rounds I think they are making a big mistake.

• Like 1

At this time last off season folks here were ridiculing the Raiders offensive line as being one of the worst in the league. I cautioned that it was much improved, and that players such as second year guard Gabe Jackson and new free agent center Rodney Hudson would solidify the unit. In 2015 the Oakland offensive line was ranked sixth in the league by Pro Football Focus. More importantly, it was ranked second in pass blocking. This allowed a young Derek Carr time to mature and develop.
This offseason the front office is replacing the line’s weakest link (guard JaMarcus Russell scored negatively in all phases last year) with Keleche Osemele, a young mauler from Baltimore who showed versatility by filling in for Eugene Monroe at left tackle last year. Oakland offered Osemele a monster contract for a guard, but the kid’s prowess in run blocking (PFF grade of 92) and his ability to swing outside made the deal well worth it. The team will play him at left guard for now.
Donald Penn was then re-signed to a very team-friendly deal, and even at age 32 Penn is still a force. He graded out as the 10th rated tackle overall with a pass blocking score of 84.5 while protecting Derek Carr’s blindside at left tackle.
Hudson was probably a little overpaid last year, but it should be noted that Reggie McKenzie has a policy of front loading contracts, often paying entire bonuses up front as roster bonuses. Hudson was a steadying influence last year, also posting an excellent pass blocking score of 85.6. When he went down with a sprained ankle late in the season the line struggled somewhat.
With the addition of Osemele, Gabe Jackson will shift from left guard to the more critical position of right guard. Make no mistake, Jackson is an up-and-coming star in this league and you’ll be hearing his name plenty in the coming season. Often last year, when the team needed critical yards in the run game, they ran behind Jackson or he pulled to the right and opened holes for Latavius Murray. Jackson’s overall PFF score was 84.4.
Austin Howard was unheralded at right tackle, yet had a quietly effective season as PFF’s 14th rated overall tackle. Howard’s run blocking score of 62.1 left much to be desired, yet like the rest of the team he excelled in pass blocking posting an 85.2 grade. Howard suffered a knee injury late last year but should be ready for OTA’s.
As for depth, the Raiders lost G-C Tony Bergstrom, who filled in admirably for Hudson last year. The backup swingman signed a two year $6 million deal to play center in Houston. Oakland would have liked to retain him, but felt the price too steep. Second year guard Jon Feliciano may take over backup center duties, or they could address the position in the draft. Feliciano also saw action late last season due to Howard’s injury. With Webb sliding over to RT, the rookie filled in at RG and posted a passable grade of 73.2 in those two games. I say passable because almost without exception, most of the rookie offensive linemen last season struggled badly. Feliciano, who was hand-picked in the fourth round by offensive line guru and coach Mike Tice, is a mauler is specializes in the power blocking game.
Menelik Watson is a former second round pick from 2013 who was having a strong training camp last year before suffering a bad Achilles injury. The word is that he was outplaying Howard and would take the RT job outright. He’s been hurt for much of his career (17 games played in three seasons), but is 6’5” 315 and with a ton of potential.
The team may bring back journeyman Khalif Barnes and Matt McCants also as backups. Though the defense will be addressed heavily in the draft, expect the team to take at least one offensive lineman. Jack Conklin of Michigan State and Kyle Murphy of Stanford have been mentioned frequently, with Murphy being another personal interest of Mike Tice.
Overall, the 2016 offensive line is very stout on paper. Left to right, it is big, mean, and nasty. One only needs to watch tape on Jackson and Osemele for clarification. All five starters have 2015 PFF grades of 79 or better. No other current NFL line can boast as much, including Dallas. And this grade would even be more impressive, yet Osemele played several games at left tackle where he scored considerably lower. What’s more, the unit’s major weakness (JaMarcus Webb) was replaced with a top tier player in Osemele, who’s 93.4 run blocking grade was one of the highest in the league, and helps the one area that Oakland’s line suffered the most last year.
Right now, on paper of course, I can say with assuredness this is a top 5 offensive line and probably second only to that of Dallas. In fact, up the middle, guard-to-guard, there’s no better unit in football. This has been the primary driver of my claim that Oakland will place a running back in the top ten this year as well.
  • Like 1

At this time last off season folks here were ridiculing the Raiders offensive line as being one of the worst in the league. I cautioned that it was much improved, and that players such as second year guard Gabe Jackson and new free agent center Rodney Hudson would solidify the unit. In 2015 the Oakland offensive line was ranked sixth in the league by Pro Football Focus. More importantly, it was ranked second in pass blocking. This allowed a young Derek Carr time to mature and develop.
This offseason the front office is replacing the line’s weakest link (guard JaMarcus Russell scored negatively in all phases last year) with Keleche Osemele, a young mauler from Baltimore who showed versatility by filling in for Eugene Monroe at left tackle last year. Oakland offered Osemele a monster contract for a guard, but the kid’s prowess in run blocking (PFF grade of 92) and his ability to swing outside made the deal well worth it. The team will play him at left guard for now.
Donald Penn was then re-signed to a very team-friendly deal, and even at age 32 Penn is still a force. He graded out as the 10th rated tackle overall with a pass blocking score of 84.5 while protecting Derek Carr’s blindside at left tackle.
Hudson was probably a little overpaid last year, but it should be noted that Reggie McKenzie has a policy of front loading contracts, often paying entire bonuses up front as roster bonuses. Hudson was a steadying influence last year, also posting an excellent pass blocking score of 85.6. When he went down with a sprained ankle late in the season the line struggled somewhat.
With the addition of Osemele, Gabe Jackson will shift from left guard to the more critical position of right guard. Make no mistake, Jackson is an up-and-coming star in this league and you’ll be hearing his name plenty in the coming season. Often last year, when the team needed critical yards in the run game, they ran behind Jackson or he pulled to the right and opened holes for Latavius Murray. Jackson’s overall PFF score was 84.4.
Austin Howard was unheralded at right tackle, yet had a quietly effective season as PFF’s 14th rated overall tackle. Howard’s run blocking score of 62.1 left much to be desired, yet like the rest of the team he excelled in pass blocking posting an 85.2 grade. Howard suffered a knee injury late last year but should be ready for OTA’s.
As for depth, the Raiders lost G-C Tony Bergstrom, who filled in admirably for Hudson last year. The backup swingman signed a two year $6 million deal to play center in Houston. Oakland would have liked to retain him, but felt the price too steep. Second year guard Jon Feliciano may take over backup center duties, or they could address the position in the draft. Feliciano also saw action late last season due to Howard’s injury. With Webb sliding over to RT, the rookie filled in at RG and posted a passable grade of 73.2 in those two games. I say passable because almost without exception, most of the rookie offensive linemen last season struggled badly. Feliciano, who was hand-picked in the fourth round by offensive line guru and coach Mike Tice, is a mauler is specializes in the power blocking game.
Menelik Watson is a former second round pick from 2013 who was having a strong training camp last year before suffering a bad Achilles injury. The word is that he was outplaying Howard and would take the RT job outright. He’s been hurt for much of his career (17 games played in three seasons), but is 6’5” 315 and with a ton of potential.
The team may bring back journeyman Khalif Barnes and Matt McCants also as backups. Though the defense will be addressed heavily in the draft, expect the team to take at least one offensive lineman. Jack Conklin of Michigan State and Kyle Murphy of Stanford have been mentioned frequently, with Murphy being another personal interest of Mike Tice.
Overall, the 2016 offensive line is very stout on paper. Left to right, it is big, mean, and nasty. One only needs to watch tape on Jackson and Osemele for clarification. All five starters have 2015 PFF grades of 79 or better. No other current NFL line can boast as much, including Dallas. And this grade would even be more impressive, yet Osemele played several games at left tackle where he scored considerably lower. What’s more, the unit’s major weakness (JaMarcus Webb) was replaced with a top tier player in Osemele, who’s 93.4 run blocking grade was one of the highest in the league, and helps the one area that Oakland’s line suffered the most last year.
Right now, on paper of course, I can say with assuredness this is a top 5 offensive line and probably second only to that of Dallas. In fact, up the middle, guard-to-guard, there’s no better unit in football. This has been the primary driver of my claim that Oakland will place a running back in the top ten this year as well.

Nice post.

I was one of the people who felt the Raiders line didnt look great early last year. (based on what I watched in pre season) but to their credit, the young guys stepped up and improved as the year wore on, and the only real weak link by year end was J'Marcus Webb Who was terrible all year long. I think the replacement of him by itself will make this unit very solid.

What I'd like to see is for this team to draft for Depth (in case of injury).

also, a developmental Tackle would be nice as Penn is turning 33. We dont know when the wheels will fall off, but it's better to get a succession plan in place now so that when injury or that natural decline due to age hits, Oakland wont be scrambling to fill his spot.

flattered that you would ask, but i'm caught up in my thesis right now and don't have time to do any kind of useful analysis. very briefly, not much is likely to change on the DAL line. 4 of the starters are expected to return, leaving only 1 disputed position: LG. collins was exceptional at times, but subject to breakdowns (as any rookie is). leary was playing quite well before his groin injury, and received a tender from the ballclub. either of those guys is capable of doing very good work.

the only real issue is depth (which is a legitimate issue). bernadeaux was the backup G/C, and the team had to sign a journeyman to have some experience at the C position (martin played some in college, but not much). green should challenge for swing tackle after his redshirt season, but with no game experience, it could be rough.

long story short, the line continuity looks exceptionally good, and it would be reasonable to expect improvement over last season. one thing to watch is the blocking scheme based on who is running the ball. DAL wants to run zone, but DMC is not ideal for those concepts. morris is a perfect fit, and elliott projects to be excellent in ZBS also. so that's worth monitoring in camp.

The Eagles O line was in somewhat rough shape last year.

Partly because they had the wisdom to replace Mathis and Herremans with Allen Barbre and Matt Tobin..... Oops.

Jason Peters and Lane Johnson are solid at Tackle, but Peters is getting up in age. I hear he took himself off the field late in the season (which I dont like)

Changes: The Eagles signed Guard Brandon Brooks to a big contract. This should stabilize the interior of the line. another draft pick may still be in order, but I do see a significant improvement for this line. I still expect the Eagles may draft someone in the first 3-4 rounds. Perhaps the succession plan for Peters will be that they will draft a tackle who will start at guard this year, and move to RT as Lane moves to LT.

this is speculation, but the plan seems reasonable.

...LG. collins was exceptional at times, but subject to breakdowns (as any rookie is). leary was playing quite well before his groin injury, and received a tender from the ballclub. either of those guys is capable of doing very good work.

I don't think there's any way Collins is not starting on this line. Most probably at LG, but I could very easily see him swing to RG or even RT depending on Free and Green.

The difference between Collins and Leary: Leary is a very nice, serviceable player... Collins is a dominating beast, a difference maker.

I don't think there's any way Collins is not starting on this line. Most probably at LG, but I could very easily see him swing to RG or even RT depending on Free and Green.

The difference between Collins and Leary: Leary is a very nice, serviceable player... Collins is a dominating beast, a difference maker.

Not yet, but I do agree with your take on him. Collins struggled badly at times last year, but in his defense most of the rookie offensive linemen did. His PFF grades were low into the red, across the board. The positive news for Dallas is he probably outplayed Erik Flowers, who the Giants took ninth overall. Adding insult to injury, if that mess involving the mother of Collins' child doesn't break when it did, there's a very good chance New York grabs him at nine. Regardless of his play last year, grabbing Collins was a beads-for-Manhattan moment for the Boys.

in 2015, collins had a higher ceiling but a much lower floor than leary. if collins can clean up his game in camp, he will likely start. but if he continues to make basic mental and technique errors, then leary will be the starter on opening day.

for the record, leary's 2014 pff score in run blocking was 6th in the league among guards, and his overall score was 17th out of 80 qualifying guards.

in 2015, collins had a higher ceiling but a much lower floor than leary. if collins can clean up his game in camp, he will likely start. but if he continues to make basic mental and technique errors, then leary will be the starter on opening day.

for the record, leary's 2014 pff score in run blocking was 6th in the league among guards, and his overall score was 17th out of 80 qualifying guards.

I think it's a done deal - can print the starting LG brochure.

The San Diego Chargers O line has had a lot of issues this year. While the Sack numbers arent bad, this stat is deceiving because Rivers has one of the fastest releases in the NFL. But make no mistake about it, he was under pressure a lot. and the run game ranked 31st in the NFL.

King Dunlap signed a 4 year 28 million dollar contract then started only 7 games last year.

They brought in Orlando Franklin from Denver via Free Agency and he missed 6 games.

Fluker missed 4 games

The only player to start every game was Right Tackle Joe Barksdale who has resigned for 4 years

the Weak Links:

Center: Trevor Robinson was beat in both the pass and Run blocking and an upgrade is needed here.

Guard: The chargers moved Chris Watt from Center to Guard, but he didnt get a lot of playing time due to a shoulder injury that ended his season. The scouting report I saw said that his limited time at guard wasnt pretty.

That being said, sometimes it takes some time for someone to make an adjustment like this, so the jury is out whether he is the answer there but the early returns suggest he's not the answer. It sounds like they will continue with DJ Fluker at the other guard spot.

They may move Watt Back to Center which may or may not help, but the bottom line is they need personell to strengthen the starting lineup, and the depth which has proved to be inadequate needs an upgrade as well.

Regardless of all this, I think a guard or a Center is a must draft for the team this year. If they dont grab one or the other in the first 2-3 rounds I think they are making a big mistake.

(the quote above was posted earlier in the thread)

C Max Tuerk was picked in round 3 of the NFL draft

Pick Analysis: "He's as good a pulling center as anybody I've seen. He's an athletic kid." -- Mike Mayock

G Donovan Clark was picked in round 7 of the NFL draft

Pick Analysis: This is a safe, late-round flyer on a guy familiar with pro concepts on one of the best offensive lines in college football last season. San Diego needs line help, so he's worth a look in camp. --Mark Dulgerian

Pick Analysis: "He's as good a pulling center as anybody I've seen. He's an athletic kid." -- Mike Mayock

Fluker missed 4 games

the Weak Links:

(the quote above was posted earlier in the thread)

C Max Tuerk was picked in round 3 of the NFL draft

G Donovan Clark was picked in round 7 of the NFL draft

Pick Analysis: This is a safe, late-round flyer on a guy familiar with pro concepts on one of the best offensive lines in college football last season. San Diego needs line help, so he's worth a look in camp. --Mark Dulgerian

If I'm Philip Rivers I'm pissed. They should have taken Tunsil, or better yet Stanley. That was a big mistake, as at the VERY least they could have moved one of the kids inside. This will definitely come to light when they face Oakland's pass rush.

If I'm Philip Rivers I'm pissed. They should have taken Tunsil, or better yet Stanley. That was a big mistake, as at the VERY least they could have moved one of the kids inside. This will definitely come to light when they face Oakland's pass rush.

Keep in mind a lot of the problems arose due to injuries.

the problem is... on the line, injuries can become chronic because you take a pounding in there.

I personally felt the biggest need was at Center. Trevor Robinson Was all kinds of terrible last year and Watt (who can also play center) was playing guard and was hurt most of the season.

Tuerk (who I think can also play guard) gives them some options for the interior part of the line which really was the root of the line problems in San Diego.

I think they will put him in the weight room and get him to put on a few pounds, and he will be a fine addition.

I agree more work needs to be done here, but I do think they have at least taken a step in the right direction. Based on Tuerks scouting report, I feel the largest improvement will be in the run game, but I do think the pass protection will also improve.

Agreed.

I'd be very surprised if the Eagles didnt get some help on the line in the first 2-3 picks.

for me, the question is which round will they pick someone?

Peters performed well enough, but at 34, you are correct. his replacement needs to be planned for.

I think Peters replacement is likely a year away unless they draft him now and plug him in at guard for a year. If this happened, you may be looking at a situation where the eagles draft a Tackle in round 1, Plug him in at guard for a year, and grab a Center in round 2 or 3.

but the Eagles also have need on the D line. and they dont have enough draft picks to fill both needs.

so I think it is more likely they draft someone for the defense in round 1.

a Center or guard in round 2, and look into Peters replacement next year.

Update:

The Eagles Drafted two O linemen in this draft.

Isaac Seumalo (3rd round OG)

Halapoulivaati Vaital (OT-5th round)

Seumalo is a big strong kid, 6'5" and only 298 lbs. he can put on some more weight. He has a lot of power, but the reports I saw suggest he struggles in space and doesnt do well against lateral movements. hes listed as a guard, but did also play tackle but is unlikely to play tackle at the NFL level. It looks like he could use some coaching on his technique. he also recovered from a broken foot in 2014 that required two surgeries. It looks like he could be a future starter if he can clean up his technique and stay healthy.

Vaitai is listed as a Tackle, but the reports I saw suggest he may be better suited to play guard early in his career. He's very quick out of his stance, mechanically very sound and mirrors pass rushers effectively.

he is 6'6 and only 308 lbs. Unlike Seumalo, he lacks strength. This is a kid who could be a starter at tackle if he can put on some muscle and gain some strength. Like Seumalo, he may need a year or two before he can play Tackle at the NFL level. In the interim, he may be able to start at guard but it may be better for him to focus on putting on weight and gaining strength. An extra 20 or 30 lbs would work wonders for this kid.

anyhow, I'm guessing that the Eagles are hoping that one of these two will be able to help them immediately, but I think it is more likely that these guys will have a chance to start for the Eagles next year.

Good right up on the Raiders. I like the moves they made to solidify an already good unit. Jackson is a beast for sure.

I think the Raiders and Chiefs will compete for the division, but don't sleep on the Chargers. They had a lot of injuries last year.

Think the Raiders will win their divison .

And that's something that I would like to see .

Good right up on the Raiders. I like the moves they made to solidify an already good unit. Jackson is a beast for sure.

I think the Raiders and Chiefs will compete for the division, but don't sleep on the Chargers. They had a lot of injuries last year.

Agreed. he did a nice job.

just to update: the Raiders only picked up one player in the draft that would help the line.

OG Vadal Alexander.

Pick Analysis: This is another behemoth interior road grader for the Raiders offensive line. He's a very solid depth addition who should stick. --Mark Dulgerian

I guess my take is any player you select in the 7th round who makes the team is a good pickup. This kid should help with depth while they get him coached up.

just to update: the Raiders only picked up one player in the draft that would help the line.

OG Vadal Alexander.

Pick Analysis: This is another behemoth interior road grader for the Raiders offensive line. He's a very solid depth addition who should stick. --Mark Dulgerian

I guess my take is any player you select in the 7th round who makes the team is a good pickup. This kid should help with depth while they get him coached up.

Reggie McKenzie drafts are very unorthodox, to say the least. It took awhile for Raider fans to appreciate his methods, and to understand that Reggie will always have 'his guys.' The draft of Karl Joseph at 14 raised some eyebrows initially, as many were calling it a reach. But according to whose board?

The night before the draft KJ had quietly risen into the bottom of the first round in some mocks. And in actuality, he would've undoubtedly gone to ATL at 17 if Oakland passed on him. But I digress.

Raider fans were fine with this draft, because those players were 'Reggie's guys.' But we did recognize two distinct value picks. One being Shilique Calhoun in the third, and the other being Alexander in the 7th. The latter was probably one of the top guards in the draft, a factoid overlooked because LSU played him out of position at tackle much of the time. I believe now the plan is to use Jon Feliciano, another mauler from last year's draft, at backup center and swing guard making room for the rookie.

Heard it said by a caller on the Rome show yesterday that Oakland has the best offensive line in the AFC. I'd support that statement.

OG Vadal Alexander.

When I said "moves", I was including the free agency period. Didn't they sign a G/T? Also, resigned a T right? Good moves in my book. They're offense should be even better this year. I like the moves on defense too. Nelson and Joseph at safety (if Joseph can get healthy), re-signed Smith. They'll be tough to beat!

Reggie McKenzie drafts are very unorthodox, to say the least. It took awhile for Raider fans to appreciate his methods, and to understand that Reggie will always have 'his guys.' The draft of Karl Joseph at 14 raised some eyebrows initially, as many were calling it a reach. But according to whose board?

The night before the draft KJ had quietly risen into the bottom of the first round in some mocks. And in actuality, he would've undoubtedly gone to ATL at 17 if Oakland passed on him. But I digress.

Raider fans were fine with this draft, because those players were 'Reggie's guys.' But we did recognize two distinct value picks. One being Shilique Calhoun in the third, and the other being Alexander in the 7th. The latter was probably one of the top guards in the draft, a factoid overlooked because LSU played him out of position at tackle much of the time. I believe now the plan is to use Jon Feliciano, another mauler from last year's draft, at backup center and swing guard making room for the rookie.

Heard it said by a caller on the Rome show yesterday that Oakland has the best offensive line in the AFC. I'd support that statement.

Well, I think these things really come down to the GM having a good relationship with his coaches.

If a GM sees talent, and talks with his O line coach who agrees that with some coaching certain 'problems' with someone's technique will go away. It is just a matter of finding out how teachable that player is and making sure that he gets the help he needs to become a solid player.

This is why GM's quite often want to bring in 'Their man' as the coach of the team.

In this case, it looks like Oakland did a nice job.

Update:

The Eagles Drafted two O linemen in this draft.

Isaac Seumalo (3rd round OG)

Halapoulivaati Vaital (OT-5th round)

Seumalo is a big strong kid, 6'5" and only 298 lbs. he can put on some more weight. He has a lot of power, but the reports I saw suggest he struggles in space and doesnt do well against lateral movements. hes listed as a guard, but did also play tackle but is unlikely to play tackle at the NFL level. It looks like he could use some coaching on his technique. he also recovered from a broken foot in 2014 that required two surgeries. It looks like he could be a future starter if he can clean up his technique and stay healthy.

Vaitai is listed as a Tackle, but the reports I saw suggest he may be better suited to play guard early in his career. He's very quick out of his stance, mechanically very sound and mirrors pass rushers effectively.

he is 6'6 and only 308 lbs. Unlike Seumalo, he lacks strength. This is a kid who could be a starter at tackle if he can put on some muscle and gain some strength. Like Seumalo, he may need a year or two before he can play Tackle at the NFL level. In the interim, he may be able to start at guard but it may be better for him to focus on putting on weight and gaining strength. An extra 20 or 30 lbs would work wonders for this kid.

anyhow, I'm guessing that the Eagles are hoping that one of these two will be able to help them immediately, but I think it is more likely that these guys will have a chance to start for the Eagles next year.

Seomalo might have a chance at LG but Vaitai is strictly a backup for now. The big moves were adding Brandon Brooks at RG and Stefen Wiesinski at C - he might push Kelce for a role.

Seomalo might have a chance at LG but Vaitai is strictly a backup for now. The big moves were adding Brandon Brooks at RG and Stefen Wiesinski at C - he might push Kelce for a role.

Kind of what I thought.

Seomalo has the power, and depending on how long it takes him to learn, he could start sooner rather than later. But Vaitai's issue is strength. he needs more muscle and needs to get stronger. It may take more than a year to put on the weight and add the strength he needs.

He is a good candidate for next year if he can add strength and weight.

Kind of what I thought.

Seomalo has the power, and depending on how long it takes him to learn, he could start sooner rather than later. But Vaitai's issue is strength. he needs more muscle and needs to get stronger. It may take more than a year to put on the weight and add the strength he needs.

He is a good candidate for next year if he can add strength and weight.

Really the only changes with the Eagles OL are Brooks at RG and much better depth all around. Their rushing #s are almost certain to go down though just due to a normal pace of the game.

Titans

The Titans are an interesting team to watch in terms of OL for a number of reasons: (1) HC Mike Mularkey has been adamant about the team playing a run-first, smash-mouth form of football; (2) New GM Jon Robinson has made several offseason moves to that effect, including acquiring Murray, Henry, Conklin, Jones, etc. this offseason; & (3) Young QB Marcus Mariota looked the part of a franchise-calibur QB last season despite lacking experience and playing behind a porous OL with questionable receiving talent.

The Titans' OL has been mostly disastrous the last few seasons because of retirement (e.g. stalwart Michael Roos), striking out on key FA additions (e.g. Steve Hutchinson, Andy Levitre, & Michael Oher), lackluster drafting (e.g. Jeremiah Poutasi, Brian Schwenke, and, to a lesser extent, Chance Warmack), and LOTS of injuries.

This season, the big additions up-front are C Ben Jones and RT Jack Conklin. Jones is a veteran from the rival Texans, who is a quirky character but is a savvy, experienced player -- which we haven't really had at the center position since the retirement of Kevin Mawae many seasons ago. The rookie Conklin doesn't have top-flight athletic abilities but plays with a nasty demeanor and is a road-grader type OT -- which we haven't had since a healthy David Stewart. Barring injuries, both of these players will be starters on day one at their respective positions. A smaller free-agency move was re-signing veteran OG/OT Byron Bell. Bell played at both LG and RT last season for us; and while he wasn't very good at RT (he's definitely a plodder and lacks the foot-speed to keep up with speed rushers), he's better at the OG spot where he'll be asked to go one-on-one with interior DL and/or block in-tandem with his linemates. Another move that this team makes that might go under some radars is the drafting of OG Sebastian Tretola, who is a big bruiser of a lineman from the OL and who demonstrates a very mean, nasty demeanor in the run-game. His play style seems like a perfect match for the power-run scheme that Mularkey wants to execute. In terms of some of the other spots, it'll be interesting to see just how OG Chance Warmack responds after the team didn't pick-up his 5th year option. He certainly hasn't lived up to his #10 draft pick; but, he's also been playing between turnstiles at both center and right-tackle for the past several years, so it's a little uncertain whether his average/mediocre play has been the result of his own (lackluster) work or the very poor play of those around him. And it'll also be interesting to see what happens with LT Taylor Lewan, who has a ton of talent but who's been pretty inconsistent and whose play hasn't always matched his outspoken brashness.

Right now, I think that 4/5 spots are pretty much set with Lewan (LT), Jones ©, Warmack (RG), & Conklin (RT). The only spot that I think is still TBD is that LG spot, where I expect we'll see a competition between Bell, Poutasi, Tretola, and maybe even Quentin Spain. Right now, I expect that the veteran Bell is probably the front-runner at that LG spot, though it will be interesting to see if Poutasi has improved over last season's disastrous performance, since he played out-of-position at RT for much of the time and will undoubtedly benefit from moving back inside. I see Tretola as more of a backup RG this season with the potential to start next season at either OG spots, but he could surprise and seize the starting LG job this season.

An OL of Lewan, Bell, Jones, Warmack, and Conklin -- in addition to TE Delanie Walker, who is a superb blocking TE -- should be able to open holes in the run game for the combination of DeMarco Murray & Derrick Henry. The question will be whether the Titans DEF and ST can keep them in the game so that they don't have to abandon that run-first strategy too early each week.

Just my $.02...

I'd look for the Dolphins line to finally be a good offensive line.

Tunsil will start off his career at LG where he should do very well. You've still got a capable left tackle in Albert and a solid young right tackle in J. James. Throw Pouncey into the mix at center and you've got 4 spots very much solidified.

The only remaining question is at RG, where the Dolphins signed Bushrod with the intention of moving him to guard. Given the fact Gase coached him last year and specifically went after him I think there's reason for optimism there as well.

Bottom line, no more excuses for Tannehill. The Phins have talent at receiver and tight end, as well as a capable O-line. Gase is also well regarded for his use of quarterbacks. It's now or never for Ryan Tannehill.

I'd look for the Dolphins line to finally be a good offensive line.

Tunsil will start off his career at LG where he should do very well. You've still got a capable left tackle in Albert and a solid young right tackle in J. James. Throw Pouncey into the mix at center and you've got 4 spots very much solidified.

The only remaining question is at RG, where the Dolphins signed Bushrod with the intention of moving him to guard. Given the fact Gase coached him last year and specifically went after him I think there's reason for optimism there as well.

Bottom line, no more excuses for Tannehill. The Phins have talent at receiver and tight end, as well as a capable O-line. Gase is also well regarded for his use of quarterbacks. It's now or never for Ryan Tannehill.

to some extent I agree.

We dont know if Ajayi is going to get the job done. If he fails, then the Dolphins will, once again, be an unbalanced offense. Most QB's do better if the threat to run the ball is somewhat legitimate. Only time will tell if this works for them.

Vikings

2015 season

1. saw the team bring in 3 rookies to the lines

2. Veterans RT Phil Loadholt and C John Sullivan are lost to injury. Both were attempting to return from injury.

1. only 1 OL was not resigned from the 2015 season

2. team drafted 1 rookie, Willie Beavers

3. signed FA T Andre Smith and Alex Boone

4. Hopes for Loadholt and Sullivan to return to squad this season from injury. both missed all of last year..

New Oline Coaching, Tony Sparano was added to the team in the off season.

Oline training: one report from camps is a modification to the sleds used in training. Attempt to train players not to go vertical in their stance

Report from OTA. Change from last season to this is no focus rookie welcome to camp training and more on Oline development. (oline is more veteran than in years past)

Depth Chart, Cuts and reductions are expected. Just question of when this takes place.

Adrian Peterson is at OTA. Cannot recall last time he took part. is this to focus on run or passing games.

Reminders

2015 finished the season NFC North and lost in round 2.

2016 is opening of a new stadium

Combination will mean a tougher schedule and more prime time games.

Contract status past 2017. At this time, not many of the current unit is contracted past this season. Think maybe Beavers and Loadholt.

Here the O Line roster as of today

WARNING - DO NOT RELY ON THIS AS A DEPTH CHART - I have added my notes as to how I see it today

Simply put, this is the list of OL on the Vikings Roster today.

Left Tackle

75 Kalil, Matt 12/1 - History of Up/Down seasons Question has been is it Kalil or his LG?

72 Smith, Andre U/Cin - played RT in Cincinnati, and ROTO lists him as RT Starter

74 Shepherd, Austin 15/7

60 Bykowski, Carter P/SF

Left Guard

63 Fusco, Brandon 11/6 - I think he plays RG

64 Beavers, Willie 16/4 - Drafted Rookie 4th round, pick 23. Roto has him as #3 at RT

67 Kerin, Zac CF14

Center

65 SULLIVAN, JOHN 08/6 - Returning from Injury

61 BERGER, JOE U/Dal- Started at C last season

62 Easton, Nick T/SF

Right Guard

76 Boone, Alex U/SF - Suspect he plays LG

79 Harris, Michael W/SD

Right Tackle

71 LOADHOLT, PHIL 09/2 - Returning from Injury

68 Clemmings, TJ 15/4 - Started atRT last season, Roto has him as backup at LT

78 Sirles, Jeremiah T/SD

IMO is too early to give more than this, especially as depth charts are all over the map one who is starting and where depth is stacked.

Other than to state Fans expect Teddy to have more time to throw.