Sign in to follow this  
craphouse rats

has anyone here tried the Atkins diet?

I was thinking about doing it. Has anyone on here had any success or horror stories with it? I know it is kind of an old diet. I do workout but I am hitting the big 40 and my metabolism is slowing down and I want to find another way to drop some weight.

I had a friend that tried it. He ended up going off it because he lost more weight then he wanted to. He dropped like 20 pounds. I could never do it because I like my carbs too much.

I tried it about 8 years ago when I was getting married. I lost about 20 pounds very quickly, but it gets old quick. I love red meat, but man did I miss my carbs!

I have done it. It works in the short term. The reality is that, no matter what diet you choose, you ultimately need to make a commitment to modify how you eat and exercise so that you are essentially taking in fewer calories than you are expending.

I was thinking about doing it. Has anyone on here had any success or horror stories with it? I know it is kind of an old diet. I do workout but I am hitting the big 40 and my metabolism is slowing down and I want to find another way to drop some weight.

Your turning 40 why even give a fock. Its not like some 20 year old would fock you anyhow :shocking:

49 days until I hit the 40 also

Yes. It's incredibly effective and Dr. Atkins has been pretty much vindicated against all of his detractors. I dropped 30 lbs very fast and never really felt hungry.

A few thoughts:

1) It's not "the bacon diet" that everyone purports it to be. Lean meats are encouraged.

2) Only the first part - Induction is so severely restricted on carbs.

3) The cool thing is, you can tell when induction has kicked in. There's these strips that you can buy that measure ketones. When you're in ketosis, you know you're doing it right. For me, that was one of the best parts. In most diets, early on, you can't really tell - and you get discouraged and quit.

4) You lose weight rapidly. Even the AMA has come out and said that's one of the best things about Atkins over other diets. All diets are effective - if you follow them. But the #1 reason people fail on diets is because they get discouraged and quit before they can see results. While the medical community prefers moderate weight loss, the preference of quick weight loss followed by a moderate diet far outweighs the alternative of no weight loss at all.

5) I did it and found it to be easy. Mostly because I felt so damn good immediately. No more post-lunch crashes. It wasn't about weight loss (well, it was but), it was more about how I felt so good so quickly.

6) Bfast is the hardest - But that's just because of our mindset; We limit our options. You can only have so many eggs. But who says you can't have a chicken breast for breakfast?

7) Sandwiches are a kick. Instead of bread, just get some great deli meats and cheeses and roll them up. Dip them in mustard (or whatever) and you'll wonder why "sliced bread" is so great after all.

8) Celery and Sprite Zero are your friend.

9) It ain't cheap. The reason so many poor people are fat is because carbs are so friggin' cheap.

10) Subsequent studies have shown what Atkins said all along; Your cholesterol doesn't shoot through the roof. As I recall, Atkins contends that it's a combination of sugars and fat that cause cholesterol to stick to clog your arteries. Still, if you choose to eat bacon instead of lean proteins, be prepared for the consequences.

He fell and suffered major head injuries. Do you get all of your info from the Enquirer? :shocking:

A question mark usually means that one is asking a question. HTH

ETA: hey, I knew I wasn't too far off. So he didn't die of a hear attack, but he had heart problems. My memory isn't totally off. :pointstosky:

On April 18, 2002, Atkins suffered a cardiac arrest caused by an infection that spread to his heart muscle

Really good article on this. Here's a key snippet:

In general, those comparative studies have been much more kind to the Atkins low-carb approach than most had suspected. Indeed, studies have shown that weight loss is at least as great with low-carb as with low-fat diets. The one remaining question has been whether blood lipids (and therefore cardiac risk) is unfavorably affected by low-carb diets.

In the past year, at least two studies have made inroads in allaying such fears. The first, the A-to-Z trial, compared four popular diets, from the ultra low-carb Atkins diet to the ultra-low fat Ornish diet, in 311 overweight or obese premenopausal women. The study concluded that after 12 months, women assigned to the Atkins diet lost more weight - and showed more favorable metabolic changes - than women assigned to the other three diets.

The second study, just published in the January 1 issue of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, compared low-carb and low-fat diets in 88 individuals with abdominal obesity and at least one other marker for metabolic syndrome. They found that all the diets tested resulted in equivalent weight loss. However, while the more "traditional" low-fat diets were somewhat better at reducing LDL cholesterol, the low-carb diets were significantly better at increasing HDL cholesterol and reducing triglyceride levels.

http://heartdisease.about.com/b/2008/01/03...s-diet-2008.htm

I tried it. I guess it works. I think I lost a bit of weight in the 1st week or so... but I got MASSIVE headaches.

Probably from no caffeine I'm sure, but man... will your ass ever crave TOAST.

It goes old REAL quick... the induction phase where you really can have any carbs is only 2 weeks long but it seems like it's about 2 months.

I'm on more of a calorie counting thing now. That way you can eat a nice balanced meal as long as you watch the caloric intake for the day your gtg.

I was one of the unfortunate 10% who tried Atkins and GAINED weight.

Followed it to a T, but some people do not repsond the same way, as admitted in New Diet Revolution.

At the end of the day, the only thing that has ever worked is good old fashioned hard work in the gym and eating cleaner.

If you rally want to lose weight, start smoking crack. :thumbsup:

Or meth. You'll lose a few pounds just in teeth.

I have done it. It works in the short term. The reality is that, no matter what diet you choose, you ultimately need to make a commitment to modify how you eat and exercise so that you are essentially taking in fewer calories than you are expending.

Fatboy is wise.

I was on it, and dropped 20 pounds quite easily. I kept if off for a while, but eventually it gradually crept back. My problems with Atkins: 1) It is not a life change, but a quick fix. face it, you aren't giving up carbs for the rest of your life. Even if you drop weight, your natural lifestyle will put it back on, and 2) It teaches binge eating. Basically, when you are in the weight loss zone, eating no carbs helps you lose weight. Once you break the weight loss zone, it encourages you to binge. Why not, I'm not losing weight right now, so why not another handful of chocolate? For me, this was the worst side effect.

I just turned 40, and dropped 35 lbs by simply writing down what I ate. It showed me how to eat healthier and made me aware of how many calroies were in everything I ate. I used www.sparkpeople.com as an online tool to record what I ate, and track the caloric values. I would totally recommend going the healthy route as opposed to the diet fad route. For those that say, I can't lose weight, I call BS. Record everything you eat and be brutally honest. You will see why you are unable to lose in a hurry. For example, my pre-sparkpeople salad had cheddar cheese and croutons. Eliminating them saved close to 250 calories.

I was on it, and dropped 20 pounds quite easily. I kept if off for a while, but eventually it gradually crept back. My problems with Atkins: 1) It is not a life change, but a quick fix. face it, you aren't giving up carbs for the rest of your life. Even if you drop weight, your natural lifestyle will put it back on, and 2) It teaches binge eating. Basically, when you are in the weight loss zone, eating no carbs helps you lose weight. Once you break the weight loss zone, it encourages you to binge. Why not, I'm not losing weight right now, so why not another handful of chocolate? For me, this was the worst side effect.

Apparently, you didn't read the rest of the book.

Induction is a "quick fix" to get your metabolism into ketosis & on the way to a healthy weight. After that, you gradually build back carbs into your diet for more of a "south beach" type of lifestyle. The way you describe it is the way most undereducated people do it. "Oh boy! I lost 20 lbs - where's my tub o' french fries?" Nowhere does the Atkins diet encourage you to "binge". That's just plain wrong.

The problem is, people "get" the idea of "no carbs" and they like the idea of "quick weight loss", but then when that's done, they either don't have the knowledge and/or the patience to complete the next phases of the diet plan. - Which is gradually building back healthy carbs into your life. Doing so at a rate that doesn't completely whack your metabolism takes time and discipline.

And, in a soundbite, all-or-nothing world, that part gets missed.

I just turned 40, and dropped 35 lbs by simply writing down what I ate. It showed me how to eat healthier and made me aware of how many calroies were in everything I ate. I used www.sparkpeople.com as an online tool to record what I ate, and track the caloric values. I would totally recommend going the healthy route as opposed to the diet fad route. For those that say, I can't lose weight, I call BS. Record everything you eat and be brutally honest. You will see why you are unable to lose in a hurry. For example, my pre-sparkpeople salad had cheddar cheese and croutons. Eliminating them saved close to 250 calories.

Good point. We were just talking about this the other day. On MSN last week, they had a listing of foods that you think are healthy, but aren't. One of them was Chicken Caesar salad. The chicken and salad part are good for you. The croutons and the Caesar dressing are horrible for you. Skip the croutons and go with a Balsamic Vinagrette.

There were similar things with Turkey burgers and chicken wraps. Avoid them and go for things like sirloin steak according to this article. Of course, I can't find the focking thing now :wall:

ETA: Got it. http://www.menshealth.com/eatthis/9healthfoods.html

The reality is that, no matter what diet you choose, you ultimately need to make a commitment to modify how you eat and exercise so that you are essentially taking in fewer calories than you are expending.

This is the key right here, IMO.

I think that just about any diet is only going to result in short term weight loss unless you are going to commit to maintaining the eating habits/menu layed out on that particular diet... indefinitely.

I just think it comes down to making better, healthier meal choices, portion control, and increased exercise... on a consistent basis.

This is the key right here, IMO.

I think that just about any diet is only going to result in short term weight loss unless you are going to commit to maintaining the eating habits/menu layed out on that particular diet... indefinitely.

I just think it comes down to making better, healthier meal choices, portion control, and increased exercise... on a consistent basis.

You want me too, don't you? Boy, you ladies really have to stop falling all over me. I am a married man :wall:

All good examples. Thanks for the input. I like the meth idea. Do you think someone could just do meth for say 3-4 weeks to loose the 20-25 lbs and then quit the meth and maintain a healthy lifestyle after that to keep the weight off. I am really leaning that way. I think meth would be less expensive as well.

Yes. It's incredibly effective and Dr. Atkins has been pretty much vindicated against all of his detractors. I dropped 30 lbs very fast and never really felt hungry.

A few thoughts:

1) It's not "the bacon diet" that everyone purports it to be. Lean meats are encouraged.

2) Only the first part - Induction is so severely restricted on carbs.

3) The cool thing is, you can tell when induction has kicked in. There's these strips that you can buy that measure ketones. When you're in ketosis, you know you're doing it right. For me, that was one of the best parts. In most diets, early on, you can't really tell - and you get discouraged and quit.

Very good post and true. Do atkins like south beach though, keep the fat down. That way when you do incorporate some carbs in you don't gain everything back...moderation. I'm trying to do this, but with no carb low cal protien shakes (from the store) and lots of veggies and lean meats. I can't eat too many carbs or else I gain 5 pounds in a month.

E! had a show on this weekend about Fad Diets, pills, etc.

They basically said that ANY diet that restrics calories is going to work.

You want me too, don't you?

Actually, I don't.

:(

Meh. I just don't drink sodas, or eat crap like french fries and stay active. :(

All these different diets and programs are to much to deal with. Is it really that hard? I realize alot of it is DNA and some have to work at it more than others, but if you just cut out most of the crap food / sodas and get a good sweat in at least 3 days a week as part of your lifestyle and not just some crazed diet, then you will eventually be in relative good shape, and will be able to stay that way.

That Diet sucks monster ass. bread is too focking good to give up. try increasing your exercise or just be fat like a real man and stop worrying about your weight like a poosay :dunno:

Atkins definitely works for most people if you follow it as ordered. I lost 35 lbs on it a few years ago. Unfortunately I went back to my old way of eating and gained several back. I'm actually starting again, and it's more difficult this go around. People will tell you that you have one golden shot when it comes to the weight loss, so don't blow it. The thing that is important is to follow all the phases, especially lifetime maintenance. That's where I blew it the first time. Once you lose the weight, you have to be sensible in your eating habits. Lifetime maintenace allows signigicant amount of carbs. It is similiar to what many people say is the "healthy" way to eat. Limit processed carbs and eat a lot of unprocessed foods... fruits, veggies, meats, limit breads and starchy foods.

Meh. I just don't drink sodas, or eat crap like french fries and stay active. <_<

All these different diets and programs are to much to deal with. Is it really that hard? I realize alot of it is DNA and some have to work at it more than others, but if you just cut out most of the crap food / sodas and get a good sweat in at least 3 days a week as part of your lifestyle and not just some crazed diet, then you will eventually be in relative good shape, and will be able to stay that way.

Amen. Cut the BS out of your diet and try to exercise a couple times a week.

Much better than any quick fix diet. Everyone I have know to try Atkins have put back on the weight plus a whole lot more.

Try BodyforLife.com for good recipes and exercise routines.

I myself just started to try and lose some weight, shooting for 40-50lbs.

Like others have said, I'm doing the increased exercising. Instead of going out to lunch, I got a gym membership and go every weekday at lunch and eat on the walk back. Bring my lunch so it a lot healthier. Breaking even on cost because I was spending 7-9 dollars out to lunch, instead i'm putting it towards the membership. Its a bit pricy thou, but its right across the street. Figure if I had to get into a car, it would be easier to find a excuse.

just taking my lunch helps but I'm hoping/sure that going to the gym will be the overall benefit. Going 5 days a week now, but i'm sure if I get into better shape that can drop to 3 days, easily. Thou that might be a year or two out. figure took me 17 years to get here, gonna take me 2/4 to get back.

I am making better choices on eating, but not holding back to bad. If I make a huge change in diet, I know i'll lapse. Of course if 3 months go by and no great changes, diet if first place to look/cut.

Being more active is the best and long term effects way to go, b/c the diets come and go. Becoming more active changes your life in more ways than just weight lose. Or at least that is the train of thought I'm going with now, we'll see if it works out.

As a few remember from last month I've lost about 30 lbs since last February. No special gimick diets.... no only eating meat... nothing really prohibiting.

Here's how I did it:

Stop eating sh!t food (McyDee's, BK, TacoB) and just eat reasonably and drink lots of water + workout about 4-6 days a week.... LOTS of cardio at first... then add some weights after a bit balancing it out.

When I mean eat reasonably I mean watch your caloric intake. That's the key... take in less that you expend and presto chango.... weight loss.

Here's a perfect place that I like to count the calories... it already has pretty much everything you eat in it's database. You just add what you've eaten for the day. It also has a nice calculator that shows what your goal caloric intake should be for your goal weight.

For instance... my goal is to lose 2 lbs a week. For my height/weight and activity level I need to take in no more than 1750 net calories a day. Net meaning it subtracts calories for your workouts as well.

The best I've come across in my opinion and believe me.... I've done ALL the damned diets in the last 10 years or so... Ab's Diet... Body for Life... Atkins... .South Beach...

All are good in their own way, but the simplicity of calorie counting blows them all away.

Here's the website: http://www.thedailyplate.com :(

Here's the website: http://www.thedailyplate.com :mad:

Looks exactly like the sparkpeople.com site. Good find.

The tolls to track are the easy part. The hard part is the motivation and discipline to stick to it. In my home and office, it is far too easy to snack on junk at every turn. You really need a reason you believe in that will keep you from grazing and eating what you shouldn't. For me it started with a weight loss challenge at work (I'm way too competitive). Once I dropped 15-20-25 lbs, I found my ice hockey and volleyball game dramatically improved, which kept me focused on the positive results.

99% of all successful diets hinge on discipline IMO.

When I mean eat reasonably I mean watch your caloric intake. That's the key... take in less that you expend and presto chango.... weight loss.

All are good in their own way, but the simplicity of calorie counting blows them all away.

I completely agree with this.

With any/most 'diet plans' - it's natural to go off of them as soon as you lose the intended weight and get the results you wanted. But inevitably you end up going back to your old lifestyle and eating habits, which will lead to going back to your old weight.

Just by increasing your activity and changing the way you eat, the amount you eat and making better choices in the products and foods you already buy... you can lose the weight and keep it off because it just becomes a lifestyle at that point.