Sign in to follow this  
Redzonehog

League members adding/dropping when they are out of playoffs.

Even if there wasn't a consolation bracket, unless rosters are locked for the eliminated teams then they should still be able to add/drop.

And locking rosters is pretty lame at any rate, IMO. The playoff teams were competing against everyone all year, how come now all of a sudden the rules of the game should change and there's only a few owners competing for waiver wire talent? Only legitimate reason I could see is to prevent tomfoolery but there are better ways of going about that

I think it is bush league to continue to add/drop after you are eliminated from the money round. I know its not against any rules, but i feel it is against the spirit of fair play. get out of the way and let the guys who are still in it battle it out.

If that happened in my league, it would be potential grounds for black listing.

Thank you. It's amazing how many morons think "if it's not against the rules, it's fair game."

Even if there wasn't a consolation bracket, unless rosters are locked for the eliminated teams then they should still be able to add/drop.

And locking rosters is pretty lame at any rate, IMO. The playoff teams were competing against everyone all year, how come now all of a sudden the rules of the game should change and there's only a few owners competing for waiver wire talent? Only legitimate reason I could see is to prevent tomfoolery but there are better ways of going about that

Well here's the thing....once the playoffs start that's all that matters anymore. In actual sports leagues it's win or go home...same rule should apply here.

In both of my money leagues, the team that scores the most points in week 17 gets their entry fee back. This encourages everyone to stay in it until the end, and gives everyone who is out of the playoffs a reason to remain engaged. We put this in so that everyone keeps playing the best team they possibly can until the bitter end.

Well here's the thing....once the playoffs start that's all that matters anymore. In actual sports leagues it's win or go home...same rule should apply here.

Taking your opinion as a given, then it's your fault for not proposing they shut off add/drops for those teams come week 13. If they did not pass your proposal or you just didn't know non-playoff teams could add/drop to try and win the consolation bracket, then it's your fault for joining and you have nothing to complain about now.

I plan ahead. Pass a rule that no one can pick up WRs until all your guys get through the week unscathed.

Or that no one can pick up a WR once their season is over and their team is irrelevant?? Jackass

That is not the point. YOUR league has a "consolation bracket". Therefore there are still games to be played, regardless of positioning.

By all means, I'll acquiesce and kowtow to the playoff teams. NO WAY. You give me something, anything to play for, I am all over it.

You want teams like that in your league. Not ones that say fock it and roll over because they are not in the "prize pool"..

Integrity is priceless man.

And finishing last? :nono:

Dude. The people who rollover before the REGULAR SEASON ends are the ones who have no integrity....because that effects teams who are fighting for playoff spots by giving other teams easy wins. You understand that right?

No integrity would also in include what I mentioned in the OP. Some get it, some don't.

A few things to consider. First is this a keeper league? If yes then the pickup is fine. I'm not sure what the "consolation" matchup is. Is it just to matchup teams that are no longer qualified for the remainder of the playoffs? Personally, if there is money involved and they are not a participant then they should not. It's cr@p if they do. Don't screw with people playing for money.

Just my two pennies

• Like 1

Most everyone here plays for money. If this league is redraft then I can understand SOME of what you're saying. Commish abilities allow to lock teams from making adds/drops if they are out of contention. You said there was a consolation bracket - if there is something like a draft pick or other 'reward' for your toilet bowl then it makes perfect sense that teams would continue to make adds and drops.

If this is a keeper or dynasty league adds and drops are fair game for everyone all the time.

Last I'd offer a bit of advice: Your original post smacks of sour grapes, so you had to at least anticipate people would be busting your balls. To come back and offer haughty retorts to everyone only reinforces the sour grapes, so you've done yourself no favors. The scrub team got Edelman. Congratulate the guy and pick up someone else.

Sour grapes????? Why on earth would I be the one who is sour grapes when IM in the playoffs???? Dude if I wanted Edelman I would have grabbed him before the scrub had a chance...I had the waiver priority. I'm asking the question because I wanted to know if I should push for a rule change next year. It's for the whole league, not just me....

You can't understand the issue of someone who wants the teams who are done to back off and let the winners play, then sorry but I can't help you. Look up the meaning of sour grapes, btw.

This isn't about anything other than you being pissed if something happens that hinders your team.

If the other guy is still "active", and a consolation bracket indicates that there is still active play going on, he has every right to add/drop whomever he wants within the constraints of the league rules. Nothing bush league about it. If you're playin, play to win whatever is left to win. As others have said, I'd much rather be in a league with that guy then the ones who fold up shop as soon as it looks like they're not going to win any $$$.

I remember you. And you're still clueless as ever.

I will most likely win my damn league, kid. I used myself as an example because I wanted myself in the shoes of someone that may happen to. If a rule change would help the league here, then I wanted to explore the idea. Why else would I need feedback? Think about it. Don't think too hard though, I don't want you to hurt yourself.

News flash....Julian Edelman isn't a world beater, but he would be a decent fill in if it came down to that.

*doosh

You must be a kid, at least you sound like it!

I know your upset that someone is still playing even though they are out of the playoffs, but there is nothing wrong with that. Bush league is those that complain about someone who keeps playing and trying to improve his roster. Whether it be for pride, or just a reason to watch the games, who cares. You said its bush league for someone not to try when they are out of it during the season, giving others easy wins. Its no different after the season, you can't have it both ways! You just need to let it go, as it doesn't sound like this is going to hurt you in any way. Accept the opinions or don't as it sounds like 95% of the responses are basically saying they don't agree with your train of thought.

Is the aforementioned "consolation bracket" still part of the competition? I assume he is still playing, just playing another team out of the "real" playoffs?

Then good for him, swinging until the bitter end. He might not be in the regular playoffs, but if there is still one team playing another team, pride, integrity and competition is still the name of the game.

I would never just step aside. If there is a match up to be played, be damn sure I am going to give 110% percent regardless of my spot in the standings.

Hell, even if I get a bye, I am still working to better my roster.

You should be glad that the teams in your league feel that way.

Quitters suck. :bench:

This...

I remember you. And you're still clueless as ever.

I will most likely win my damn league, kid. I used myself as an example because I wanted myself in the shoes of someone that may happen to. If a rule change would help the league here, then I wanted to explore the idea. Why else would I need feedback? Think about it. Don't think too hard though, I don't want you to hurt yourself.

News flash....Julian Edelman isn't a world beater, but he would be a decent fill in if it came down to that.

So you're just pissed because you didn't get him. You're as bad as those loser commishes who veto trades because they wanted one of the players in question :cry:

TO KICK MY *SS IS TO KILL ME AND I AIN'T DEAD YET...BRING IT ON *ITCH ! ....If I can knock someone out of the MONEY when they may have knocked me out of the play-offs....Hell Ya !

My favorite type of thread, OP asks a question and then bashes everyone who doesn't give him the answer he likes. :doh:

If the team still has something to play for - and the consolation bracket is something to play for - no issue at all if he continues to make moves. If you don't like it then (1) get rid of the consolation bracket next year, and (2) lock all teams from add/drops once they are out of the playoffs.

You must be a kid, at least you sound like it!

I know your upset that someone is still playing even though they are out of the playoffs, but there is nothing wrong with that. Bush league is those that complain about someone who keeps playing and trying to improve his roster. Whether it be for pride, or just a reason to watch the games, who cares. You said its bush league for someone not to try when they are out of it during the season, giving others easy wins. Its no different after the season, you can't have it both ways! You just need to let it go, as it doesn't sound like this is going to hurt you in any way. Accept the opinions or don't as it sounds like 95% of the responses are basically saying they don't agree with your train of thought.

#1 - I never said it was "bush league", but several people who agreed with me did.

#2 - quitting while teams are still fighting for the playoffs and quitting when the playoffs are underway and you're OUT, are not at ALL the "same thing".

#3 - I never had a problem with anyone disagreeing with my opinion. It's people like yourself who are clearly lacking a chromosome and feel the need to start online flamewars simply because I stated my opinion and asked for feedback. Pussie.

A few things to consider. First is this a keeper league? If yes then the pickup is fine. I'm not sure what the "consolation" matchup is. Is it just to matchup teams that are no longer qualified for the remainder of the playoffs? Personally, if there is money involved and they are not a participant then they should not. It's cr@p if they do. Don't screw with people playing for money.

Just my two pennies

Yes, the consolation is completely meaningless....they get nothing out of depleting the waiver wire other than making things harder on those who actually earned the chance to play for the prize....now THAT sounds like sour grapes to me.

Good to see you along with a few others who value the importance of knowing when to sit on the sidelines and respect the accomplishments of teams who earned their success.

So you're just pissed because you didn't get him. You're as bad as those loser commishes who veto trades because they wanted one of the players in question :cry:

Oh yeah, you NAILED it...guilty as charged! Not only are my WRs Calvin Johnson, Antonio Brown, Kendall Wright, and Keenan Allen, but I also have the #1 waiver I've been sitting on for weeks now. And I'm crying because I couldn't get Julian Edelman. Dumbfock....

My favorite type of thread, OP asks a question and then bashes everyone who doesn't give him the answer he likes. :doh:

If the team still has something to play for - and the consolation bracket is something to play for - no issue at all if he continues to make moves. If you don't like it then (1) get rid of the consolation bracket next year, and (2) lock all teams from add/drops once they are out of the playoffs.

Hey bud, scroll up and see the original replies. I had no problem with the differing opinions, it's the people who act like bags o' dicks just to piss people off instead of answering the damn question at hand.

Just wanted some opinions on this....there is a guy in my league who finished dead last with only 4 wins. The regular season is over, and the only games left for him are in the "consolation bracket".

My concern is that last night he dropped DHB for Edelman. What is the point in this? There are only 4 playoff teams and one of us could have possibly used Edelman. I asked the commissioner (who happens to be playing me in the first round), and he told me he thinks it's good he's still making moves. For what it's worth, I am projected to slaughter him this week. I completely disagree with his stance here....if a WR goes down this week and I make it to the championship, I'll be pissed if I can't pick up Edelman because he was added by a team that has no reason to add him. Another scenario could be that one of my WRs are declared inactive this week before the games start and Edelman would have been an option there too, but now he's not. Thoughts?

Your words, dooshbag

Once I am done and I can not win any money and there is absolutely nothing to play for except a stupid meaningless win then I am in shut down mode for the rest of the year. If I am still alive and somebody who is not is just being a d!ck then I will make it my mission for the next year to screw that person (as long as it does not impact my own standings). I will tank matches just to screw that person. I will trade to benefit anybody that can screw that person. It's not my fault you did a poor job during the season and now you want to be nothing more that just being a pain. If it's a free non money league then whatever.

Just my two pennies

I think y'all are being a bit harsh on the OP. There is a school of thought that once the regular season is over that even if you have some sort of 'losers' bracket and once a teams season is over they shouldn't perform transactions. Non keeper leagues obviously. For instance:

We have a Toilet Bowl 'tournament' for teams that missed the Playoffs. This was created so those teams could still have a little fun and keep them engaged. However once the regular season is over only Actual playoff teams (playing for the cash and title) can make adds and drops.

This is clearly communicated before the playoffs though so if you didn't tell the league this year then it's too late. Set the rule effective next year.

• Like 1

Personally, I play to improve my standing until the end. If I get knocked out of the first/second round of the playoffs then I'll continue making moves to finish at the best possible ranking. That's no different than in the consolation bracket although in that bracket, I'd be willing to take more chances.

Salute the guy for still trying to improve his ranking rather than be one of the guys mailing it in if they're out of the money.

In my work league, you do not want to be the one who finishes in last place.

1. If you are really that much in need of Edelman..you shouldn't be in the playoffs anyway.

2. You should be happy this guy is trying. What if you were in contention for the last playoff spot and this guy was playing another playoff contender? Would you want him to leave in guys who have been demoted or injured instead of picking someone up? I'm dealing with the opposite in my league. I've got 2-3 teams who have stopped trying and one who dropped all his players out of frustration. I had to lock his team and revert all those moves so he could field a full team. Its one of our league bylaws that you must keep playing until the very end.

Why would an eliminated team, who's season is over need to add/drop? They have no game to play. That's stupid and makes zero sense.

In most leagues, once the regular season is over and we get into post season play you either A. do not make the playoffs or B. lose in the playoffs and your season is over. Over as in over as in done as in finished as in The.End.

Do you guys have a team that gets elimnated (not mathmatically but for real) and do not have a game to play yet still want to make transactions? Why exactly? :crazyeyes:

A playoff is a method of attrition. Once you get kicked off the island you go home and lick your wounds. You are out of it and discontinue having any effect on the rest of the playoffs. That's sort of the purpose of it all.

Clearly, if it was a keeper league then it would be fine....you know, since that's the whole point of a keeper league and everything....

Furthermore if it was a "weekly prize" involved...that would also be understandable, you know sense that's the whole point of a league with a weekly prize. Didn't know I had to spell out the blatantly obvious for you. How about you learn to read between the lines, genius???

How about you stop crying like a little biotch?

Or that no one can pick up a WR once their season is over and their team is irrelevant?? Jackass

No you're the whiny little jackass crying because you didn't plan ahead.

RZH - Your first sentence says you want opinions on a situation that's playing out in your league. Many people have shared their opinion and the response is overwhelmingly in support of every team continuing to play hard until the bitter end, using all resources available to them. Only a small percentage of responders have supported your position, namely those teams eliminated from playoff contention be banned from making further transactions. You have your answer, even if you don't like it - the four-win last place team in your league did well to pick up Julien Edelman for his consolation game this week.

• Like 1

The couple of leagues that I am out of it in I am still working my teams. I don't do it to screw someone out of waiver wires, I do it because I love fantasy football and it only comes around once per year so I want to enjoy it and make the best of it while I can.

• Like 1

The couple of leagues that I am out of it in I am still working my teams. I don't do it to screw someone out of waiver wires, I do it because I love fantasy football and it only comes around once per year so I want to enjoy it and make the best of it while I can.

Question. Do you still have a game to play?

Why would an eliminated team, who's season is over need to add/drop? They have no game to play. That's stupid and makes zero sense.

In most leagues, once the regular season is over and we get into post season play you either A. do not make the playoffs or B. lose in the playoffs and your season is over. Over as in over as in done as in finished as in The.End.

Do you guys have a team that gets elimnated (not mathmatically but for real) and do not have a game to play yet still want to make transactions? Why exactly? :crazyeyes:

A playoff is a method of attrition. Once you get kicked off the island you go home and lick your wounds. You are out of it and discontinue having any effect on the rest of the playoffs. That's sort of the purpose of it all.

One word: pride. And there ain't nothing wrong with that. I tend to field the best team I can every week 'til the cold, bitter end.

RZH - Your first sentence says you want opinions on a situation that's playing out in your league. Many people have shared their opinion and the response is overwhelmingly in support of every team continuing to play hard until the bitter end, using all resources available to them. Only a small percentage of responders have supported your position, namely those teams eliminated from playoff contention be banned from making further transactions. You have your answer, even if you don't like it - the four-win last place team in your league did well to pick up Julien Edelman for his consolation game this week.

Well said. :thumbsup:

I'd like to add that the whole debate is beside the point anyway. Even if it is a good idea to lock eliminated teams out of making transactions, that is not the rule in the OP's league. Change the rule after this season but you can't go around making up sh!t ad hoc.

I play in one league where they lock transactions for eliminated teams. Personally I think it's stupid but at least I know the rule before the season starts and if I want to leave that league, I can.

One word: pride. And there ain't nothing wrong with that. I tend to field the best team I can every week 'til the cold, bitter end.

I still don't get it, pride for what? I understand if you are in a loser's bracket tournament or something. However if you have no game to play then even pride means nothing. You aren't playing anymore in a redraft.

In the offseason do you also go in and pick up players and field a team every week versus 'nobody' so you feel good about yourself? That's just weird. Your season is over.

• Like 1

I still don't get it, pride for what? I understand if you are in a loser's bracket tournament or something. However if you have no game to play then even pride means nothing. You aren't playing anymore in a redraft.

In the offseason do you also go in and pick up players and field a team every week versus 'nobody' so you feel good about yourself? That's just weird. Your season is over.

You're almost always accruing total points scored. Maybe I got screwed by my opponents blowing up against me so even though I didn't make the playoffs I'm third in total points scored or something. Your damn right I'm gonna keep chipping away at that and, really, what's the harm?

You're almost always accruing total points scored. Maybe I got screwed by my opponents blowing up against me so even though I didn't make the playoffs I'm third in total points scored or something. Your damn right I'm gonna keep chipping away at that and, really, what's the harm?

If you have no game scheduled I doubt you accrue points. Your team had no game. Normally a playoff schedule had to be set by the site or commish.

What's the harm? Well that goes back to one of the original premise of the thread. Should teams, who's season is OVER, have any bearing on the rest of the playoffs?

We can't use real football as an example because that is like a dynasty league where you keep players for the next year. A better benchmark is a poker tournament. Once you are knocked OUT you are done, you do not get to affect any aspect of what happens to the players left. You were knocked out and thus your tournament (playoff) is over. That's how tournaments work.

If you have no game scheduled I doubt you accrue points. Your team had no game. Normally a playoff schedule had to be set by the site or commish.

What's the harm? Well that goes back to one of the original premise of the thread. Should teams, who's season is OVER, have any bearing on the rest of the playoffs?

We can't use real football as an example because that is like a dynasty league where you keep players for the next year. A better benchmark is a poker tournament. Once you are knocked OUT you are done, you do not get to affect any aspect of what happens to the players left. You were knocked out and thus your tournament (playoff) is over. That's how tournaments work.

But by prohibiting other owners from adding players, you are artificially inflating the value of the waiver wire. All season you've had to fight 11 owners for waiver talent, now all of a sudden it's, what, 3 other owners, then 1 other owner? It's ludicrous.

I say if you're gonna lock rosters, lock them for ALL owners when the playoffs start. But you gotta have deep benches for that.

But by prohibiting other owners from adding players, you are artificially inflating the value of the waiver wire. All season you've had to fight 11 owners for waiver talent, now all of a sudden it's, what, 3 other owners, then 1 other owner? It's ludicrous.

I say if you're gonna lock rosters, lock them for ALL owners when the playoffs start. But you gotta have deep benches for that.

I didn't make up how common sense and logical tournaments work. That has been around for a long time. It goes from 8 to 4 to 2 to yes 1. That's how it works. Its not "all the sudden" its when the regular season ends and the playoffs begins. Playoffs are different than the regular season.

It's ludicrous that the teams still winning (in a tournament) get preferential treatment? Should they not win prizes and money either? Maybe we should give everybody a trophy at the end of the year?

What's ludicrous is tying to argue that once your season is over that, well it's really not. You're just half dead. You should name your league The Walking Dead First Grader League. Because when your season is over, it's not really, and everybody gets a participation and pride trophy.

Listen, leagues can do whatever they want if all the members like it. If a league wants to give kickers 50 points for FG's then so be it. Doesn't mean people won't think that is sorta odd and makes no sense though. But knock yourselves out. Similar if you want teams who's season is over to affect the rest of the playoffs then go for it. It flies in the face of how "tournaments" normally operate but go for it if your league likes it. :dunno:

The only issue the OP did wrong was not setting up this rule prior to the season/playoffs. Its too late now and the non playoff teams get to do transactions since the rule wasn't set up prior. My advice to the OP is simply make the rule effective in 2014.