Sign in to follow this  
stonewall

Is the Manning to Thomas/Welker/Decker/Thomas Combo the best ever assembled?

Can anyone think of a more dynamic combination of WR's and TE.......all of whom had 10 or more TD's?

air coryell comes to mind, the difference being the rules-based permissiveness for a passing attack.

fouts to joyner/jefferson/chandler/winslow was something to see.

to put it in perspective, people say the rules now favor the passing game more than they used to. in 1981, fouts put up 4800 yards passing. that would have ranked 3rd this season.

air coryell comes to mind, the difference being the rules-based permissiveness for a passing attack.

fouts to joyner/jefferson/chandler/winslow was something to see.

to put it in perspective, people say the rules now favor the passing game more than they used to. in 1981, fouts put up 4800 yards passing. that would have ranked 3rd this season.

This. Dan Fouts to Charlie Joiner, Wes Chandler and Kellen Winslow was ridiculous. Obviously it's different eras but each of those guys was deadly.

Can anyone think of a more dynamic combination of WR's and TE.......all of which had over 10 TD's and all had over 100 receptions, except TE Thomas who had 89?

What? Did anyone have 100 receptions?

As mentioned, today's rules hve inflated the passing numbers. Still, it would be hard to name a group that exceeds the quality and depth of this group. Some may as good or close... but probably not better. Obviously, the core is Manning but each of the receivers bring somenthing to the table as well.

I do think Welker is on the down slope. Great football player... but you can only play the game so long. And, isn't Decker a free agent? As mentioned, nobody actually caught 100 balls. with so many quality options, they do share the wealth but one guy may not get "monster" stats. Great for real football... less so for fantasy.

What? Did anyone have 100 receptions?

As mentioned, today's rules hve inflated the passing numbers. Still, it would be hard to name a group that exceeds the quality and depth of this group. Some may as good or close... but probably not better. Obviously, the core is Manning but each of the receivers bring somenthing to the table as well.

I do think Welker is on the down slope. Great football player... but you can only play the game so long. And, isn't Decker a free agent? As mentioned, nobody actually caught 100 balls. with so many quality options, they do share the wealth but one guy may not get "monster" stats. Great for real football... less so for fantasy.

Thank you.........................you are correct. I was inadvertently looking at targets.

Still, though.....gotta be in the running for best combo ever.

Can anyone think of a more dynamic combination of WR's and TE.......all of whom had 10 or more TD's?

How'd they do without Manning?

Point being that a great QB... and disregard all the insipid crap that might infer otherwise, he's a GREAT QB...makes lots of guys look really good.

Subtract Manning and Decker is hoping to be Riley Cooper. J Thomas is still learning the game and gets lost at times. For all his tools, D Thomas has shown that he can be taken out of his game by big, physical CB. Welker? Well, he's pretty much defined that role, though with Brady then Manning throwing to him.

WAY premature to talk about this group as among the great receiving crews. You could easily argue that Manning's targets in Indy with Wayne, Harrison and the rest of the revolving cast of characters were every bit as effective. And as mentioned, the Air Coryell bunch was amazingly talented and showed it for years.

WAY premature to talk about this group as among the great receiving crews. You could easily argue that Manning's targets in Indy with Wayne, Harrison and the rest of the revolving cast of characters were every bit as effective.

Admittedly, Harrison, Wayne, Stokley, and Clark were incredibly productive.

• Like 1

Its tough to beat but its also a bit of a product of the system and having Manning. Decker, while big and pretty good, is a little bit of a "plug a whitey" and could be replaced. Welker is a stud along with Demariyous, and Orange Julius is a potential stud as well. CAnt argue with the results tho, as far as 4 deep, this group prob takes the cake.

I found this article pretty interesting. Barnwell is the writer and a huge stats nerd. But he has some good stuff for gambling.

http://grantland.com/features/a-tale-of-two-cities/

Basically by his statistical analysis this Bronco offense is the best ever, and suprisingly this Seahawks defense comes in at 10th overall. But it could and likely is a skilled statistician making the numbers say what he wants for a good narrative.

Still its kind of eye popping what kind of company this Bronco offense is in.

Rice, Taylor, Craig, Jones and Rathman are better.

:nono:

The greatest show on turf was pretty good.

2000 season:

Torry Holt- 82 receptions, 1635 yards, 6 TD's

Isaac Bruce- 87 receptions, 1471 yards, 9 TD's

Marshall Faulk- 81 receptions, 830 yards, 8 TD's

Hakim/Proehl WR3 combo- 84 receptions, 1175 yards, 8 TD's

But obviously when Peyton Manning breaks the single season yardage and TD records, no one will be able to stand up to the numbers that the Broncos weapons put up this season.

Didnt the cowboys have a good crew..with Pearsons, Staugbach, and cant remember the TE name. Showin my age now. Loved watching them as a kid. Danny White did it all.

I found this article pretty interesting. Barnwell is the writer and a huge stats nerd. But he has some good stuff for gambling.

http://grantland.com/features/a-tale-of-two-cities/

Basically by his statistical analysis this Bronco offense is the best ever, and suprisingly this Seahawks defense comes in at 10th overall. But it could and likely is a skilled statistician making the numbers say what he wants for a good narrative.

Still its kind of eye popping what kind of company this Bronco offense is in.

There is some interesting stuff there, but Barnwell missed one of the best angles IMO, that being how the Broncos offense fell off the second half of the season. The Broncos averaged 42.875 points the first half of the season, and exactly 10 points less the second half at 32.875. They averaged 37.9 points for the season but only reached that point total once over the last eight games. Six of their 8 highest scoring games came in the first half of the season. The Patriots actually outscored them over the second half of the season. Kind of like the 2007 Pats, it seems like defenses may have started to solve this puzzle a little bit.

Off topic, more on game strategy, but hypothetically speaking, if you were running the show, would you let Sherman dog Welker for the entire game, totally taking Welker out of the equation.

We all know that Sherm will be matched up with DT for most of the game, but if Im a gambling man, Im taking Welker out of the equation altogether, and that would be pretty much a given with with Sherman pinned to him all day.

Welker moves the chains, I would take my chances with the home run to DT/Decker.

Off topic, more on game strategy, but hypothetically speaking, if you were running the show, would you let Sherman dog Welker for the entire game, totally taking Welker out of the equation.

We all know that Sherm will be matched up with DT for most of the game, but if Im a gambling man, Im taking Welker out of the equation altogether, and that would be pretty much a given with with Sherman pinned to him all day.

Welker moves the chains, I would take my chances with the home run to DT/Decker.

Welker hasn't done much since his return, and really wasn't doing much for several games even before he got hurt. He has 10 catches for 76 yards and 3 first downs in the two playoff games. There's no way I commit Sherman to him when there are Thomas and Decker to be accounted for. Also, doesn't Sherman usually play on one side, as opposed to dogging a specific receiver?

No way. First, Sherman typically plays a side of the field, not a specific receiver. The notion that he has shadowed anybody isn't backed up by stats.

While Welker does move the chains, I think Seattle would be delighted to have Denver settle for underneath routes and dink & dunk stuff. They have great team speed, exceptional athleticism and tackle very well. The chance of Welker breaking a short catch into something long is remote against them.

Manning does not have the gun he had a few years ago. Why take Sherman away from a D. Thomas, Decker or J. Thomas who can take 20 yarders and turn them into 60 just so you can keep Welker from turning a 7 yarder into 20?

Subtract Manning and Decker is hoping to be Riley Cooper. J Thomas is still learning the game and gets lost at times. For all his tools, D Thomas has shown that he can be taken out of his game by big, physical CB. Welker? Well, he's pretty much defined that role, though with Brady then Manning throwing to him.

WAY premature to talk about this group as among the great receiving crews.

:wave:

Meh. Check their schedule. 2013's easiest schedule. Manning can it up vs weak teams. That's it. Put a real defense against him and he's just a ham and egger QB.