Sign in to follow this  
listen2me 23

Thoughts Of A Packer Fan...

Being a packer fan I know we are in a somewhat of a rebuilding year, even more so if Favre retires. we have about the best cap situation in the NFL....if favre retires we will be pushing the league minimun cap!!!

What do all you packer fans think about Ted Thompson?

I think with the decent FA year this year, he just isnt showing enough urgency too sign players, in a year that we actually are in great cap shape.

I think we should start making moves on bigger named FAs....when was the last time we signed a Top Teir FA? Joe Johnson? and he was on the downside of his career....and played how many games for us all together?

I just dont like the direction Ted Thompson is taking us with his conservative approach!

well as a huge packer fan i am waiting on the favre position and am hoping we get oline help or dline help, maybe a linebacker, im hoping some splashes soon and mario in the draft :lol:

I just think with 35 millions under and easily the most under the cap now that the vikes and browns are spending....we should have made bigger pushes at Hutch, Bently, Witherspoon, and Randel El for Return and WRs help specially with the Walker situation....

We Never!! make and noise in FA period....and now that we have the most room to spend we and in rebuilding mode we should be offering left and right...so far we have a backup Saftey :lol:

Relax people, the Packers just dont want to throw all of their eggs in one basket. Do you see what these teams are paying? I dont blame the Packers for not wanting to throw that kind of money out there. Hutch is great, but damn.

Relax people, the Packers just dont want to throw all of their eggs in one basket. Do you see what these teams are paying? I dont blame the Packers for not wanting to throw that kind of money out there. Hutch is great, but damn.

Packers lost both their guards last year, and Packer fans are still trying to protect their money.

Thompson will be out of a job this time next year.

Hutchinson: seven years, at $49 million, and includes $16 million in guarantees

Witherspoon: Witherspoon agreed with the Rams on a six-year, $33 million contract that includes $15 million in guarantees.

Randle-El: seven-year contract worth $31 million that includes $11.5 million in bonuses

These are good players ut that is a lot of money. You sometimes have to look at value.

Witherspoon: Witherspoon agreed with the Rams on a six-year, $33 million contract that includes $15 million in guarantees.

Randle-El: seven-year contract worth $31 million that includes $11.5 million in bonuses

These are good players ut that is a lot of money. You sometimes have to look at value.

Look at your Green Bay roster and get excited

:doublethumbsup: :doublethumbsup:

About to lose another lineman in Flanagan...to Houston

If you have the most cap room in the entire league like the Vikes or Packers then why in the hell wouldnt you spend it? Money left unused doesnt do you any good. Maybe teams are over paying but at least they will field a contending team when September comes around. IF the Packers keep looking at "value" then they will be stuck with Aaron Rodgers and a horrible defense. HTH.

Booger eaters: We are two days into free agency. Before comments are made about what a final roster is or how good a team will be, lets wait until after free agency, the draft, and see if Favre retires. Remember when the Packers signed Joe Johnson; what did that get them? I lot of hype and no production. For a realistic point of view you cant just throw 16 mil at one lineman and expect a team to change so greatly. Most teams in the NFL couldnt even afford to make this one signing. We are two days into this; its a bit early to judge.

Booger eaters: We are two days into free agency. Before comments are made about what a final roster is or how good a team will be, lets wait until after free agency, the draft, and see if Favre retires. Remember when the Packers signed Joe Johnson; what did that get them? I lot of hype and no production. For a realistic point of view you cant just throw 16 mil at one lineman and expect a team to change so greatly. Most teams in the NFL couldnt even afford to make this one signing. We are two days into this; its a bit early to judge.

This was in another thread and worth borrowing:

In the past 20 years, the Packers have had 3 top 5 picks.

Terrell Buckley, Tony Mandarich, and Brent Fullwood.

Buckley turned out OK, and still playing?

How exactly does this relate to anything? Is this a random Packer slam? Whats the point, junior?

Yeah, but he only played 3 years with the Packers.

How exactly does this relate to anything? Is this a random Packer slam? Whats the point, junior?

You said Free agency just opened, and the draft is coming, not to judge. All I'm saying given their history, you can't count on the draft.

Favre, Flanagan, a healthy Green, Wahle, Rivera covered up a lot of issues.

Green Bay has a lot of work to do, and if you are a fan of GB. If it were me I'd be disappointed

given their available money. The Packers being competitive is good for the league. I wish you the best.

Disappointed, why? We didnt throw all of our 30 mil at signing Witherspoon and Hutchinson? Once again we are two days into free agency. I can be an uneducated critic and judge already, or wait to see what happens. You still have no point with your Packer early round draft failures. The Packers own the #5 pick and there is some pretty surefire talent there. There is also the abiity to trade down and have several starters chosen in this draft. My suggestion for all of you so ready to judge even though the Packers ahve resigned Kampman and a picked up safety they feel has potential and will be a starter on the first day of free agency is this: Get a glass belly button so when your head is that far up your a$$, you can see where you are going.

getting one or 2 top FAs wont throw too much off our 35 million away!!!!!

Do people ....mostly fellow packer fans that if Favre retires we will be at the league minimum cap?

You look at all the rest of the best cap situation teams(all even below us i should add) and they all are spending and will still have plenty left over to sign Rookies and fill out their rosters. why not spend soem when you have it, were like old folks who are rich as He!! and dont spend a dime. I dont want to go through another season liek last year and the guys we have will not cut it as being a contender. 2 days in and look at how many signings??? so your telling me we will wait and all the good fits and good players get tooken while we settle for who is left? lets have some guts and pay someone that we want and need and not sit back....who wa sthe last top teir FA we have signed?.....you have to go back to the SB years to find that...no wonder we dont ever have a Championship caliber team....we have wasted favres last 5 or so years with average talent players....but this time we dont have the excuse that we are too close for comfort when it comes to the Cap!!!!

Spend some doe....win some games.....Even the ARizona Cardnals are opening up their pockets for gods sakes!!!!!!

Ted Thompson looks like a cheapskate.....only team with great cap room that has done basically nothing!! pathetic :banana:

Who do you guys think is better for the team, Gado or Green? I haven't checked the stats, but I heard Green hasn't had a 100 yard game in 2 years. If thats the case, In Gado we trust! Gado looked raw, but he produced. Greens a walking injury waiting to happen. I'm suprised they gave Green as much as they did.

There is no point arguing with this. Whatever, the Packers will have so much money they will violate the minumum cap. They wont have any new talent on their team. Ted Thompson will be fired by you, because all of you are pro scouts and excellent salary cap managers. :banana:

Who do you guys think is better for the team, Gado or Green? I haven't checked the stats, but I heard Green hasn't had a 100 yard game in 2 years. If thats the case, In Gado we trust! Gado looked raw, but he produced. Greens a walking injury waiting to happen. I'm suprised they gave Green as much as they did.

More uneducated blabbing. Longwell the kicker is getting paid more than Green. Do any of you know what you are talking about or do you just open your mouth and let it flow?

Packers lose little if Green fails to pan out http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=406552

"a $500,000 signing bonus, which is the only guaranteed money"

not a bad deal for what Green has done with the Packers.

Robocop.....with 35 million uder all I am saying is we should at least be in the FA market if you are content with our team as it is then good for you but I am not along with many other packer fans that arnt used to loosing. Im not going to be foolish and act like im a blind fan sticking up for his team...we need to spend there is no reason not to....

There is no point arguing with this. Whatever, the Packers will have so much money they will violate the minumum cap. They wont have any new talent on their team. Ted Thompson will be fired by you, because all of you are pro scouts and excellent salary cap managers. :banana:

More uneducated blabbing. Longwell the kicker is getting paid more than Green. Do any of you know what you are talking about or do you just open your mouth and let it flow?

Packers lose little if Green fails to pan out http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=406552

"a $500,000 signing bonus, which is the only guaranteed money"

not a bad deal for what Green has done with the Packers.

Im glad to see Robo who knows all guide us through the offseason...since he claims no one else knows what is goin on in the world of football... :P

I do not claim to know everything. I merely base my opinion on fact and try to keep informed. It is plainly irritating for all of these early free agency judgements. Someone saying they are surprised the Packers paid Green so much is obviously an uneducated statement once again providing a link to prove the point that the Packers got him at a bargain price. Those who dont follow offseason football and/or understand salary caps and free agency make emotional snap judgements without really understanding what is going on. Rather they base their opinion on rumor or a 15 minute ESPN program.

I do not claim to know everything. I merely base my opinion on fact and try to keep informed. It is plainly irritating for all of these early free agency judgements. Someone saying they are surprised the Packers paid Green so much is obviously an uneducated statement once again providing a link to prove the point that the Packers got him at a bargain price. Those who dont follow offseason football and/or understand salary caps and free agency make emotional snap judgements without really understanding what is going on. Rather they base their opinion on rumor or a 15 minute ESPN program.

All I want is the Packer to spend a little bit of their 35 million on some need players...and not leave it all in their pocket I am not happy right now with how they look on paper...bring Ben Taylor in who i Believe played the inside on a 3-4 is not what we need...addressing the O-line because we loose every lineman we have should be a concern no players in the draft can fill the 3 holes we are goin to have in teh middle...instead of resigning guys like Whale Riveria and Flanny we resign Kampman and green ....the reason we didnt run well last year was mainly because of our lack of gaurd play....i think any packer fan will agree!

By Monday or Tuesday, the packer beat(newspapers) will be talking about the lack of movement by the Packer front office...guaranteed.

Good luck.

All I want is the Packer to spend a little bit of their 35 million on some need players...and not leave it all in their pocket I am not happy right now with how they look on paper...bring Ben Taylor in who i Believe played the inside on a 3-4 is not what we need...addressing the O-line because we loose every lineman we have should be a concern no players in the draft can fill the 3 holes we are goin to have in teh middle...instead of resigning guys like Whale Riveria and Flanny we resign Kampman and green ....the reason we didnt run well last year was mainly because of our lack of gaurd play....i think any packer fan will agree!

The Salary Cap is not a one year thing that is like a bonus one gets at work. A bonus you can decide to spend or save. The Cap has long term effects when one over spends. See the 9er's and cow pie sniffing girlz. If one over spends, it has ramifications for years. That is why the Pack could not keep Rivera and Whale. It was due to actions like the Joe Johnson signing.

Personal opinion: Randle El, Edge and Hutch are way more expensive than I would be happy spending. An injury = a ton of dead money for years.

I favor the Patsy's approach. Get GOOD players who fit in. Forget the "GREAT" players. Now, if the Pack is in a situation where 1 or 2 guys might bring a SB, go ahead and do it. But, Pack is in full rebuilding mode with so many needs that 1 or 2 over-priced FA's will only slow the rebuilding process due to future Cap constraints.

The Salary Cap is not a one year thing that is like a bonus one gets at work. A bonus you can decide to spend or save. The Cap has long term effects when one over spends. See the 9er's and cow pie sniffing girlz. If one over spends, it has ramifications for years. That is why the Pack could not keep Rivera and Whale. It was due to actions like the Joe Johnson signing.

Personal opinion: Randle El, Edge and Hutch are way more expensive than I would be happy spending. An injury = a ton of dead money for years.

I favor the Patsy's approach. Get GOOD players who fit in. Forget the "GREAT" players. Now, if the Pack is in a situation where 1 or 2 guys might bring a SB, go ahead and do it. But, Pack is in full rebuilding mode with so many needs that 1 or 2 over-priced FA's will only slow the rebuilding process due to future Cap constraints.

I agree.....but i just cant go through another terrible year, we are not used to that. I just feel like they are missing out on some of the good players not great....guys that are young or kick returners just some players that can play....I dont like the Manual move and hate when GMs go right after guys they drafted a few years before, to try and prove they were right....You mention teh Pats and how they go about FAs....did they not get Dillon, Washington, Harrison, Starks....they went out and spent a little maybe not the bank breaker deals but quality players who arnt just fillers.....we need some playmakers now that favre is at the end and walker is done....

"they went out and spent a little maybe not the bank breaker deals but quality players who arnt just fillers"

My point exactly. All the FA's signed so far were way overpriced in my estimation. And, I agree with the Safety signing. I have read he runs a 4.8. Fine for a punter, but a safety? Anyway, I give TT 3 years before a definative judgement and he is only 1 year in. Will start forming an opinion after FA period and the draft.

I would prefer the Pack to have a down year or two than be perpetually 7-9,8-8, etc.

Any Pack fans have anyone left out there that you would like to see them sign?

I dont think we can address WR,O-Line,DT, OLB,CB, and kick Returner all in the draft....

I would like to get a good KR we havnt had one in a while and what Gaurds and WRs are out there?

If I could just throw onto the fire the Packers are one of few teams that could afford a wide receiver that goes by the name Terrell Owens at this juncture. I dont really think it would happen, but anything is possible. We do need WR help if Walker is dead set against playing.

Tons of talent remains available (not even close to a "best-of" list) - by waiting to spend the money they can acquire more of these than they would if they started overspending right away:

CB

Clements,Nate

Townsend,Deshea

Woodson,Charles

OLB

Arrington,Lavar

Peterson,Julian

WR

Burleson,Nate ®

McDonald,Shaun ®

Owens,Terrell

O-Line

Runyan,Jon

DT

Bernard,Rocky

von Oelhoffen,Kimo

kick Returner

Drummond,Eddie

Warrick,Peter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, I'd blame Brett more than TT right now. How can TT decide what to do without having Brett make up his mind about the next season? If he's not back, then they ought to be trying to get young guys to fill out the roster and compete for positions as the team rebuilds. If he's back, then the priorities are much different.

I did not say I was suprised at how much they gave Green, I said,"I'm suprised they gave Green as much as they did". I was not implying that they gave him some huge contract. For a guy who can't out produce the fourth string running back, I don't feel he's worth what he got. For your information, I did see the contract info before I posted, so get over yourself! I stated my opinion, if you don't like it don't read it. There's no reason to be rude.

Packers lost both their guards last year, and Packer fans are still trying to protect their money.

Thompson will be out of a job this time next year.

That is pretty funny.

Yup...lost both guards last year...still does not make the guard position worth that kind of money. Especially when you have to worry about a Center as well.

TT has been going about it pretty well so far.

Bringing in Pickett...signing Manuel. Definately showing that he wants to build the defense first.

If you have the most cap room in the entire league like the Vikes or Packers then why in the hell wouldnt you spend it? Money left unused doesnt do you any good. Maybe teams are over paying but at least they will field a contending team when September comes around. IF the Packers keep looking at "value" then they will be stuck with Aaron Rodgers and a horrible defense. HTH.

Because you do not just go out and spend and get back into cap problems a few years down the road.

Did the Patriots build great teams by going out and making huge splashes early and signing the big named Free agents? Pitt?

No...especially with a team that is more than just a few big names away from being a contender.

Patience people...it has just begun...

That has what relevence now? Pretty sure Ted Thompson was not the GM then...nor were any of the current coaches a part of the team.

:wub:

Exactly...its too early to be too disappointed that we have not gone out and overspent on a guy.

There are still alot of quality players available.

It is not a sprint to the finish...it is a marathon.

Here's a breakdown of what all three of these guys (Hutch, Witherspoon, El) would cost the Pack each year. And this is a worst case situation with the salaries and bonuses being spread equally across the entire contract, which never happens. A lot of these contracts are bloated with a lot being pushed towards the end.

Hutch - 7mil a year salary, 2.2mil a year bonus (9.2 a year total)

Witherspoon - 5.5mil a year salary, 2.5 a year bonus (8 a year total)

El - 4.4mil a year salary, 1.6mil a year bonus (6 a year total)

23.2mil a year for all 3..and you've still got 15 mil left.

Hutch - 7mil a year salary, 2.2mil a year bonus (9.2 a year total)

Hutch's contract is $49m over seven years, or $7m per year. In his case, the cap hit is prolly front-loaded since the Vikes have more cap room than the Hawks do. Without knowing the final breakdown yet, I'd bet that the cap hit will be more like $15m-$20m in year one and then much smaller through the rest of the contract (for example, $19m in year one, then an average of $5m per year thereafter for a total of $49m). The signing bonus is probably mostly (or all) as a roster bonus to make the year one cap hit so high.

Im fed up this is stupid....we obviously dont want the face our orginization and the player who got our team out of a couple decades of hell in Favre....thats obvious....

Guys are getting signed left and right.....Robocop and whoever else sticks up for this approuch is crazy....no fan of the team with teh best cap situation would like to see by july 20 million left on their pockets....that just is like packing it in and waiting for next year!!! :huh:

Packers | Williams claimed off waivers

Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:00:52 -0800

The Green Bay Packers have announced the team has claimed WR Harry Williams Jr. on waivers from the New York Jets.

Just because you spend money on free agents does not mean you will win. Look at Washington and how about Oakland they have to be the most over priced bunch of players ever. I would take my examples from NE and Pitt.

Just because you spend money on free agents does not mean you will win. Look at Washington and how about Oakland they have to be the most over priced bunch of players ever. I would take my examples from NE and Pitt.

I dont want or think we need over priced players!!!!......we dont need Hutch priced players.....we need some sort of players!!!!! :unsure:

and not Harry Williams Jr. :blink: :blink: :blink:

:huh:

This is so right on the money. Washington, Minnesota, Oakland, whoever. Spending big $$$ doesn't translate into wins. It only translates into cap problems of the future. We need to have great drafts followed by managed spending.

$$ is only a small part of the puzzle. You need good coaches, solid and steady drafts, health, and chemistry. FA's generally costs more and lack the chemistry aspect.

I dont think they can get beyond a 6 win year with the current crew. They will get a top 5 pick and should look at younger FAs that will produce big in two years. Look down the road rather than try and patch out a respectable season. Rebuilding takes 2-3 years of commitment. Its not an overnight fix with a FA or two.

And like it or not, Bret needs to make a decision one way or the other. This fence sitting is hurting the Packs ability to make critical decisions. If he did retire, you can bet they would be in the Drew Brees sweepstakes. Now, they dont know one way or the other.

I see the Packers rebounding to 14-2.

Their top-10 defense will continue to improve. They'll get all their injured players back on offense, a top 5 pick, and some key free agent signings.

The Packers haven't drafted this high in 17 years. I see them getting 4-6 impact players just in the draft.

Now that I think of it, 14-2 is a bit optimistic.

13-3. :thumbsup:

I see the Packers rebounding to 14-2.

Their top-10 defense will continue to improve. They'll get all their injured players back on offense, a top 5 pick, and some key free agent signings.

The Packers haven't drafted this high in 17 years. I see them getting 4-6 impact players just in the draft.

Now that I think of it, 14-2 is a bit optimistic.

13-3. :huh:

Well played.

Ted Thompson obviously has a plan. He's focuing on the defense, which is a very good thing. His targets so far were Ahman Green, Aaron Kampan and Marquand Manuel. Say what you want about Manuel, but he's an upgrade over Mark Roman, and he's a sure tackler. I was glad that Kampan was brought back.

Next up is Ryan Picket, who'd be a great fit, and is said to be Green Bay's top DL FA target. Then add in a Mario Williams or AJ Hawk, and the defense has some potential.

And considering that Thompson let Wahle and Rivera walk last year, why is anyone bitching about Hutchinson. Did you really think he'd get that cash from Green Bay? Can't blame TT too much, because that is the biggest contract for an offensive lineman in NFL history isn't it? For a guard? Not worth that cash.

There is a long way to go in Free Agency. As others have said, look no further than New England or Pitt for how to get it done in free agency. Spending $ doesn't = wins.

Oh, and since Andrew Brandt used to be Adam Vinateiri's agent, I expect him to replace Longwell in Green Bay.

Washington and Minnesota are grossly over-paying their FA's. I'm glad Green bay isn't signing any huge names to these gigantic contracts. It isn't a good long term decision.You could get two or three good starters for the price of one Hutch. His contract was just ridiculous. Minnesota may look really good on paper to some of you, but long term these signings will hinder their ability to get good players in the future. Let's not all forget Joe Johnson.

I think we are looking at two different approaches here, TT vs. Mike Sherman. Sherman would be out there over-paying for some of these guys, and we'd be regretting it a few years later. I wouldn't call Marquand Manuel a backup safety either. He will start over Roman, and he is definately an upgrade. Just because he didn't cost $10 mil/year doesn't mean it wasn't a smart move.

If we don't trade our 1st round pick, we will be giving a large contract to somebody (Hopefully Mario), so let's not forget that. Green Bay is pursuing Pickett right now too, and that would also be a good pickup.

So let's not get all crazy here and cry because we aren't signing all these guys like Minny. Notice the teams signing these big name players, year after year. They may be good once and a while, and make it to the playoffs. But they quickly drop off. The teams that make it year after year build their team...they don't try to buy it.