Sign in to follow this  
kozmiq

Clinton Portis

Wanna know why? Cause it's pretty obvious that the Redskins are going to utilize 4 WR sets under Al Saunders this year. Predominantly. And THAT'S going to put CP in space a lot more quickly.

Hey I loved this guy in his 1st 2 Bronco years. Not so much when he came here 2 years ago.

But this will be a big big year for him.

I'm not a big numbers predicter but I'd say in 16 games he'd amass 1800 - 2100 yards.

What will keep his numbers down is he won't be the complete workhorse he was. He'll be given rest and that'll make him even better per carry. Maybe he'll miss a game and parts of a few others. Still, giving HIM the ball in 4 WR sets is going to be schweeet.

True dis!

uh, yeah. Time to swich to decaf there pal.

:)

Decaf? I'd might as well drink lite beer!

Btw, do you have an opinion. On football, not expresso.

I would expect the same #'s as last season. They were pretty good BTW. I wouldnt expect much more with the tools they have.

Clinton had 1732 total yards last season... while missing bout 1.5 games total. (Giants game, and the second half the Raiders game)

He also had 11 TDs - but 3 game in one game...

Clinton had 1732 total yards last season... while missing bout 1.5 games total. (Giants game, and the second half the Raiders game)

He also had 11 TDs - but 3 game in one game...

Yea like i said he had a good season...I think a repeat would be great. Those who want more should trade for another RB IMO

Decaf? I'd might as well drink lite beer!

Btw, do you have an opinion. On football, not expresso.

Let's clarify first - are you saying that Portis will have 1800-2100 total yards, or rushing yards?

Total is a maybe, and rushing is a "what are you, nutty?".

I am still unconvinced that WASH O-line can facilitate anything resembling a 2000 yard season - and all this about 4 WR sets - where do you get that from? Randal El is a WR3 who will contribute to special teams and Lloyd is a decent if unspectacular WR2 who can't block and won't go over the middle. Ever. Neither Randal El nor Lloyd can block.

Which leave Santana Moss as the only other competent WR on the team - so who's the 4th? Regardless, wouldn't some of the WRs need to block in order for Portis to be effective in open space?

I agree that Portis is in for a solid season and would probably consider him at 4th overall, but I would still be inclined to take Edge for the GL oppotunities.

Ps - I keep hearing about how they want to get Betts more involved - they really like him and they think using him more would help Portis avoid some of the bumps and bruises. I'm no WASH homer, so I don't have the full story. But it seems like if they plan on using Betts more, then Portis' numbers would be a bit lower than last year.

Wanna know why? Cause it's pretty obvious that the Redskins are going to utilize 4 WR sets under Al Saunders this year. Predominantly.

I disagree.

You won't see anywhere close to the # of 4-WR sets as you say.

Why? Because where is the Tight End/H-Back in this scenario? You really expect to see a Gibbs/Saunders offense without the use of a TE/H-Back? Both coaches thrived on that position the past few years. I don't just see it going away.

They will predominantly switch between a 3WR set w/H-B (Cooley) or 2WR set with TE/FB(Fauria or Sellers) and H-B (Cooley) They don't need to go to a 4WR set to open up room for Portis, because their 3-WR set of Moss, Lloyd and Randle El possess so much speed that the defense will have no other option than to cover them closely.

I don't think Portis will amass 2,000+ total yards until he is utilized in the passing game more often. That means tossing him the ball 50+ times instead of 30 times a season. I'm guessing most of the under routes will be given to Cooley instead of Portis. As far as rushing goes, he should be a lock for his 4th 1,500 yard season...

Will we see 4-WR sets in 2006? Probably...but predominantly.

any 2,000 yard, 20 TD predictions for him this year... :thumbsup:

Not from me.

Saunders will utilize him better, but get real..... How many 3 and 4 WR sets have you seen in Kansas City? They always use a fullback and a TE. It was rare that Saunders used a 3 WR set there.

Randle El is an average receiver at best. Lloyd isn't much better.

Had they picked up Hutch and Bentley, I would have given credence to a 1,800 yard rushing season, but not with the line he has now.

Portis IMO is prime for a injury but If he remains healthy - putting up 1,500 / 350 and 12 - 15 TD's is about where he should be.

Portis IMO is prime for a injury but If he remains healthy - putting up 1,500 / 350 and 12 - 15 TD's is about where he should be.

what are you reading tea leaves? :banana:

what are you reading tea leaves? :thumbsup:

No just his running style along with his frame , then factor in all those carries it's bound to happen.

No just his running style along with his frame , then factor in all those carries it's bound to happen.

Everyone in the NFL can be injuried. I'mnot sure I understand your thought process of saying Clinton is going to get hurt. :wub:

Everyone in the NFL can be injuried. I'mnot sure I understand your thought process of saying Clinton is going to get hurt. :blink:

That is a little presumptions in general, but for CP that assessment has it's validity. I've owned CP every year he's played in the NFL and plan on drafting him out of the #4 spot this fall, so I've watched him a lot. He's a tough runner that will always give you 100%, which is why I'm happy to have him again next season.

But what comes with a back like Clinton, who's undersized but plays tough, is missed time. He hasn't played a full season yet and I wouldn't expect any different in 2006. All any Portis owner can hope for is that he will be productive in the 13-15 games he does play.

Now, for a prediction, I expect big things from Clinton in 2006. With the additions they've made on offense and their stellar defense mostly returning, here's what I've got:

1800 all-purpose yards

17 TD's

That is a little presumptions in general, but for CP that assessment has it's validity. I've owned CP every year he's played in the NFL and plan on drafting him out of the #4 spot this fall, so I've watched him a lot. He's a tough runner that will always give you 100%, which is why I'm happy to have him again next season.

But what comes with a back like Clinton, who's undersized but plays tough, is missed time. He hasn't played a full season yet and I wouldn't expect any different in 2006. All any Portis owner can hope for is that he will be productive in the 13-15 games he does play.

Now, for a prediction, I expect big things from Clinton in 2006. With the additions they've made on offense and their stellar defense mostly returning, here's what I've got:

1800 all-purpose yards

17 TD's

This is about where I have him.

Listen Chiefs have had a top 3 rushing attack for years. Getting the new OC even if it's just coaching the line, strategy, having up to date running plays (cough counter trey). Clearly Gibbs offense was garbage. So the KC offense is going to hurt Portis? It's not a ton different from the Denver system, and he seemed to do okay in that. He was top 10 ish RB last year, he should sniff top 5-6-7ish.

I don't think he will be much better than last year. I can't see Brunell having a season likehe did last year. If he can't say healthy, there is no reason to stack the bock against Portis.

Am I the only one concerned about the nerve damage he suffered in the playoffs where his shoulder went numb for awhile?? It is not something that surgery can correct.

Shoulder issues on your #1 RB is not good.

I need to see him play in preseason before he's #4 on my overall rankings.

But what happens when a paper cut causes him to mis 2-4 weeks?

Seriously though. I don't see Brunell making it thru the entire season. He really wore down last year and let's face it, he's old as dirt.

8 man fronts + "Quitting" Portis = not so good

Seriously though. I don't see Brunell making it thru the entire season. He really wore down last year and let's face it, he's old as dirt.

when brunell was "wearing down" at the end of the year, portis was having his best games.

HTH

With the upgrades at WR and Cooley, I don't think he'll be seeing any 8 man fronts anymore.

Please further explain your thoughts on the whole "quitting" Portis???

Papercut? - where did that come from? Dude missed 2 games 2 years ago when the Skins were out of the hunt, and 1 game last year with a concussion... PLEASE ELABORATE - or is it just rederick from an Iggles fan -- which i fully understand... cause i would bash any and all Iggles players as well :ninja:

SERIOUSLY... Everyone who follows the Skins, knows Clinton is the last player that would ever "quit".

With the upgrades at WR and Cooley, I don't think he'll be seeing any 8 man fronts anymore.

I agree. You can't put three defenders in the backfield with Moss, Lloyd and Randle El blazing down field every other snap.

Either spoken like a true Eagles fan or someone who doesn't watch much football. I can understand your bitterness, as the 'Skins became the team to beat in the NFC East last season. But calling Clinton, "Quitting," doesn't make any sense (and is a flimsy rhyming scheme at best).

Anyone who watches football knows that CP is tough as nails. I'm amazed he doesn't miss more time with the way he runs the ball. I challenge anyone to find me a back of Portis' size that plays tougher.

this coming from a guy with brian westbrook and donovan mcnabb in his backfield... :rolleyes:

Let's clarify first - are you saying that Portis will have 1800-2100 total yards, or rushing yards?

Total is a maybe, and rushing is a "what are you, nutty?".

I am still unconvinced that WASH O-line can facilitate anything resembling a 2000 yard season - and all this about 4 WR sets - where do you get that from? Randal El is a WR3 who will contribute to special teams and Lloyd is a decent if unspectacular WR2 who can't block and won't go over the middle. Ever. Neither Randal El nor Lloyd can block.

Which leave Santana Moss as the only other competent WR on the team - so who's the 4th? Regardless, wouldn't some of the WRs need to block in order for Portis to be effective in open space?

I agree that Portis is in for a solid season and would probably consider him at 4th overall, but I would still be inclined to take Edge for the GL oppotunities.

Ps - I keep hearing about how they want to get Betts more involved - they really like him and they think using him more would help Portis avoid some of the bumps and bruises. I'm no WASH homer, so I don't have the full story. But it seems like if they plan on using Betts more, then Portis' numbers would be a bit lower than last year.

This guys says most of what needs to be said, except Lloyd is a HUGE acquisition and DOES go over the middle. But for offensive philosophy, there won't be much change. :rolleyes:

I challenge anyone to find me a back of Portis' size that plays tougher.

Warrick Dunn

LT2

Edge

Off the top of my head.

Warrick Dunn

LT2

Edge

Off the top of my head.

Papercut? - where did that come from? Dude missed 2 games 2 years ago when the Skins were out of the hunt, and 1 game last year with a concussion... PLEASE ELABORATE

Warrick Dunn

LT2

Edge

Off the top of my head.

warrick dunn plays tougher than portis :rolleyes: ...doesn't he make it a point to run out of bounds and get on the ground before contact?

Papercut? - where did that come from? Dude missed 2 games 2 years ago when the Skins were out of the hunt, and 1 game last year with a concussion... PLEASE ELABORATE

I didn't give him the nickname, relax.

But hasn't he missed time in the past with injuries like bruised ribs or something?

Maybe not weeks, but quarters or a few series.

Are you and Portis dating?

Guest stevejohnson

Portis rarely plays a "full" game when compared to other top RBs.....Just look at the numbers his backups (R. Cartright) put up. He does get "knicked" a lot so I wouldn't put him in the top tier. I actullly would rather have a guy like S. Jackson or L. Jordan this season.....

:headbanger:

warrick dunn plays tougher than portis :huh: ...doesn't he make it a point to run out of bounds and get on the ground before contact?

No that's that tenderfoot biotch Shaun Alexander :headbanger: