Sign in to follow this  
ArnieBragg

Prayer Doesn't Aid Recovery, Study Finds

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

I respect your opinion.  The Church has many stains.  Still there is a great deal of good that would be lost without it. 

You get know argument from me on that one.  I still believe a lot of the tenants of the Catholic church and there is good work being done. 

My issue is with people that act like the Catholic church is far superior to other religions.  Those types are similar to people that still defend Joe Paterno when he allowed his best buddy to continue to molest children for years.

1 minute ago, Bert said:

You get know argument from me on that one.  I still believe a lot of the tenants of the Catholic church and there is good work being done. 

My issue is with people that act like the Catholic church is far superior to other religions.  Those types are similar to people that still defend Joe Paterno when he allowed his best buddy to continue to molest children for years.

Who did that in this thread? And what is your experience with Joe Paterno? Any? Or none?

3 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Who did that in this thread? And what is your experience with Joe Paterno? Any? Or none?

Explain to me how the pope and the Cardinals, you know the people that run your church, are less con artists living the high life off other peoples money? 

8 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I did. I said the Catholic Church in infinately better than Woke SJW religion. But not all religions, I like what I know of Bhuddism, Taoism, and Confuscianism. Hinduism is blah, and Islam use to the the unwashed ass of world religions until Woke came along. But even Woke and Islam are better than the evil focking religion the Aztecs were practicing with their human blood sacrifices on top of their pyramids. I think ripping the hearts out of living people is really the bottom rung so far as religions go.

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

Explain to me how the pope and the Cardinals, you know the people that run your church, are less con artists living the high life off other peoples money? 

The pope is living the high life? How? What do you mean by living the hgh life? I don't like this present pope, but accusing him of "living the high life" is not a complaint I would register.  Which pope or cardial is living the high life off of other people's money? I thik you may have to go back in history 500+ years for that sort of thing.

17 minutes ago, Bert said:

I'm supposed to defend people from random accusations? 

Prove to me how you aren't a pedophile.  

5 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Yeah. You act like every institution is great except religion. Nobody has had bad people working in any other roles or jobs and there were never any cover ups ever in government, accounting firms, big tech, military, the arts, historical reconstruction, unions of all kinds, slave wages across the world,  climate control freaks, the UN, monopolies, internet, single parent households, domestic violence, social interest groups, etc. etc. etc. 

Only the church has had bad characters. No other organizations EVER. :shocking:

Please. The church has been raping and pillaging the globe for over a millenia now. They enormously retarded the progress of human advancement by spreading ignorance and superstition wherever they went.

There may not be a more evil organization in history than the catholic church, and that includes the nazis.

Defending them is just ridiculous. 

59 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

The pope is living the high life? How? What do you mean by living the hgh life? I don't like this present pope, but accusing him of "living the high life" is not a complaint I would register.  Which pope or cardial is living the high life off of other people's money? I thik you may have to go back in history 500+ years for that sort of thing.

That focking palace looks pretty nice, along with the jewel encrusted wardrobe. 

14 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Please. The church has been raping and pillaging the globe for over a millenia now. They enormously retarded the progress of human advancement by spreading ignorance and superstition wherever they went.

There may not be a more evil organization in history than the catholic church, and that includes the nazis.

Sure. And yet you know nothing about it. Good job. 

1 hour ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

That focking palace looks pretty nice, along with the jewel encrusted wardrobe. 

There are certain perks that go hand-in-hand with having a church old enough to have had a fleet of Renaissance artists like Michaelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci in their congregation to commission for work; the envy of every other religion, king or Jeff Bezos that comes along over the ensuing centuries being pretty damn high on the list.

7 hours ago, Bert said:

The church damn near demanding people making 30-40K a year give 10% why the pope, cardinals and most of the clergy are living in the lap of luxury and you don't see the comparison?  How many 100's of billions does the catholic church have in cash, buildings, real-estate, gold, silver, art work, etc.?  At the new co-cathedral in Houston they paid $4 million for one painting.  Vow of poverty my ass. 

Never been asked for 10 pct. No one I know has ever been asked for anywhere near that amount. Where do you get that from? Not saying the church isn’t rich beyond belief and Jesus wouldn’t be very pleased, but they didn’t build those palaces off of anyone I know. 

Catholic Monks, Irish ones, saved the written word when the Huns and Germanic tribes were doing actual raping and pillaging throughout the western world. You’re a smart guy, but it’s like you see red when it comes to the church. 

7 hours ago, Bert said:

The church damn near demanding people making 30-40K a year give 10% why the pope, cardinals and most of the clergy are living in the lap of luxury and you don't see the comparison?  How many 100's of billions does the catholic church have in cash, buildings, real-estate, gold, silver, art work, etc.?  At the new co-cathedral in Houston they paid $4 million for one painting.  Vow of poverty my ass. 

30k-40k my ass.

Let's not forget, most Catholics live in the third world. Go anywhere from the Rio Grande to the southern ocean. The Philippines. Africa.

You'll see lots of marble cathedrals with gold plated walls being funded by the poorest people on this earth.

They can't feed their 6 kids (which they only have because the church outlawed contraception) but they damn well better give money to the guy in silk robes with a jeweled cup.

And oddly... the popes and cardinals are mostly white Europeans, even though Europe has largely rejected catholicism.

Blaming them for all the ills of the world is even more ridiculous. There are many places on earth that are living hell and always have been that the church had nothing to do with. Why can’t people just accept that the world was once an incredibly violent, crappy place, the fault of our ancestors? All of them, even the atheists. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Catholic Monks, Irish ones, saved the written word when the Huns and Germanic tribes were doing actual raping and pillaging throughout the western world. You’re a smart guy, but it’s like you see red when it comes to the church. 

They saved what written word they wanted to be saved. God knows what they burned.

And of course, they also refused for a millenia to allow any of it to be translated into a language that anyone could actually speak.

Why? Power.

Yeah. I loathe religion. All of it. From Islam to Hindu. It has been a plague on humanity since day one. To the extent we have thrown it off is to the extent we have progressed as a species. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Blaming them for all the ills of the world is even more ridiculous. There are many places on earth that are living hell and always have been that the church had nothing to do with. Why can’t people just accept that the world was once an incredibly violent, crappy place, the fault of our ancestors? All of them, even the atheists. 

Name one place, just one, that is hell on earth, that one religion or another doesn't have their hand in up to the shoulder?

You can't, but I'll hang up and listen. 

2 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Name one place, just one, that is hell on earth, that one religion or another doesn't have their hand in up to the shoulder?

You can't, but I'll hang up and listen. 

Are you going to claim some tribe wearing grass skirts offering up a sacrifice is practicing the kind of religion we’re talking about? 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Are you going to claim some tribe wearing grass skirts offering up a sacrifice is practicing the kind of religion we’re talking about? 

No, I'm referring to actual civilizations and nation states. In 2021. And we can just keep it to the big 5 (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism)

If it's a sh!thole,  religion is a huge part of the reason why.

China may be the only exception I can think of. But then communism is just a secular religion isn't it?

6 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

No, I'm referring to actual civilizations and nation states. In 2021. And we can just keep it to the big 5 (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism)

If it's a sh!thole,  religion is a huge part of the reason why.

China may be the only exception I can think of. But then communism is just a secular religion isn't it?

I’m not so sure how much religion has played a roll in New Guinea or central Africa. And I don’t think religions outside of the Middle East have nearly the influence they once did. Organized, politicized  religion can damn sure do some damage. No argument there. But people can Fock things up all on their own too. 

10 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Never been asked for 10 pct. No one I know has ever been asked for anywhere near that amount. Where do you get that from? Not saying the church isn’t rich beyond belief and Jesus wouldn’t be very pleased, but they didn’t build those palaces off of anyone I know. 

Did you get married in the Catholic church?

21 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Did you get married in the Catholic church?

Yup 

13 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Vatican ain't exactly a double-wide outside of Murfreesboro.

35 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Did you take pre-cana classes?

Yup. It’s required. Why would you ask? That’s like asking someone who took calculus if they took algebra too. Get to your point, your obviousness is tedious.  

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yup. It’s required. Why would you ask? That’s like asking someone who took calculus if they took algebra too. Get to your point, your obviousness is tedious.  

I ask because that's usually when they explain what's expected of you as a member of the parish.  When I took pre-cana they told us we were expected to give 10% of our earnings each year.  Not only that but we are also expected to volunteer at fundraising events, and if we can't do that then we should donate money.  Our parish sends out a notice to every member that shows how much they have donated for the year.  

51 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I ask because that's usually when they explain what's expected of you as a member of the parish.  When I took pre-cana they told us we were expected to give 10% of our earnings each year.  Not only that but we are also expected to volunteer at fundraising events, and if we can't do that then we should donate money.  Our parish sends out a notice to every member that shows how much they have donated for the year.  

Yeah, I was probably thinking about my fantasy baseball draft when that guy was talking. I haven’t donated near 10 pct and never would. And yet I’m still a member in good standing. Go figure. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yeah, I was probably thinking about my fantasy baseball draft when that guy was talking. I haven’t donated near 10 pct and never would. And yet I’m still a member in good standing. Go figure. 

I've never done it either but they do tell members they should do it.  They certainly don't force people to do it like some may say, but they want members to.  I always remember it because I thought it was complete BS.  Catholics are masters of guilt.

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I've never done it either but they do tell members they should do it.  They certainly don't force people to do it like some may say, but they want members to.  I always remember it because I thought it was complete BS.  Catholics are masters of guilt.

Idk about the catholics, but I know the Baptists and Methodists push that hard. They literally hit up my Sunday school class for 10% of our allowance when we were 12. Told us it's good to get into the habit young.

My church also didn't like it if you just threw the cash in the plate. You were supposed to fill out and use the envelopes provided in the back of the pew, so they could track it.

My grandmother gave 10% her entire life.

1 minute ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Idk about the catholics, but I know the Baptists and Methodists push that hard. They literally hit up my Sunday school class for 10% of our allowance when we were 12. Told us it's good to get into the habit young.

My church also didn't like it if you just threw the cash in the plate. You were supposed to fill out and use the envelopes provided in the back of the pew, so they could track it.

My grandmother gave 10% her entire life.

Of course they want to track it.  They do that so they can publish it and guilt people into giving even more money.  Our parish has sent out mail that showed the money tiers that every member had donated.  That's just low.

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

Of course they want to track it.  They do that so they can publish it and guilt people into giving even more money.  Our parish has sent out mail that showed the money tiers that every member had donated.  That's just low.

Yep. Ours did that too.

And when they built the “life enrichment center” (pool, clubhouse, gym, etc.) They had a whole other donation each week for that with different envelopes and the tiers of givers are on the wall to this day.

What a bunch of anti religion rubes. Thinking we who have faith are just donating all our savings to the church.

Jeez. Where do you all get your information from? Probably the same people who are sending money to a lawyer in Libya because the lawyer needs to move some large amount of money to the mail recipient's bank account.

Oh Boy!! I'm getting money. Thankfully that Libyan lawyer chose me to get the fortune!!!

23 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

What a bunch of anti religion rubes. Thinking we who have faith are just donating all our savings to the church.

Jeez. Where do you all get your information from? Probably the same people who are sending money to a lawyer in Libya because the lawyer needs to move some large amount of money to the mail recipient's bank account.

Oh Boy!! I'm getting money. Thankfully that Libyan lawyer chose me to get the fortune!!!

Who said you were donating all your savings to the church?  No need to embellish, the church has enough issues the way it is.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Who said you were donating all your savings to the church?  No need to embellish, the church has enough issues the way it is.

I get it, you're an insider. James Bond of the church world. 

How much money have I given them James?

Maybe I'm at fault for giving a lttle time for community activities? 

Just now, Utilit99 said:

I get it, you're an insider. James Bond of the church world. 

How much money have I given them James?

Maybe I'm at fault for giving a lttle time for community activities? 

I think you're losing it a little here.  We get it, religion is a sensitive subject for you.

7 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I think you're losing it a little here.  We get it, religion is a sensitive subject for you.

Probably less sensitive as you are being on your hatred of it. You have been pretty active about it.

7 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Probably less sensitive as you are being on your hatred of it. You have been pretty active about it.

No need to exaggerate. 

12 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

No need to exaggerate. 

How is religion hurting you in your personal life?