Sign in to follow this  
EndGame

Gas prices

Anyone know why they're rising so quickly? Cripes .. I saw 2.71 today and that was at a station that usually has good prices! :D

Did we have another hurricane or something?

I'm guessing either the recent tornadoes or Bush had a recent meeting with the oil lobby. :D

I'm guessing either the recent tornadoes or Bush had a recent meeting with the oil lobby. :D

You're probably making a feeble attempt at humor, but in case you aren't...

The prices started going up before those tornados. They've been rising steadily for weeks.

You're probably making a feeble attempt at humor, but in case you aren't...

The prices started going up before those tornados. They've been rising steadily for weeks.

Actually I was trying to do two things:

1. Imply that the administration is largely influenced by the oil lobby.

2. Give you a pitty bump.

Don't you have a press release to fock up?

This administration IS influenced by big oil, but i'd say they all are. Its part of the territory whether we like it or not. Its why Jimmy Carter decreed in his State of the Union address in 1980(although he'd probably blush about it today and squirm a lot), that any attempt to close the straight of Hormuz would be taken as an assault on the vital interests of the United States and would be subject to a military response to correct it.

Actually I was trying to do two things:

1. Imply that the administration is largely influenced by the oil lobby.

2. Give you a pitty bump.

Don't you have a press release to fock up?

1) Find me an administration that isn't.

2) Die ... seriously.

Gas prices are rising to take some of the media attention off of Bush's other issues.

Hurrican season is in the Summer. HTH.

Thank you, Einstein.

I've been taking the train to work the last 2 months. It's 149 a month for the pass, includes the subway.

I used to drive 25 miles to take the subway to work, which cost me 3.50 to park and 44 a month for the subway, plus gas.

Anyway, I fill my tank up once a month. I just noticed last I filled it up, prices have gone up 45 cents since last time I went to the same gas station. GB the train. :huh:

I used to work about 30 miles round trip away from home...now Im 4 miles round trip...

:huh:

This is gonna be an expensive summer for me. I have to drive about 50 miles to and from my internship. :unsure:

It's the beginning of the spring/summer travel season. A price jump is getting to be SOP around this time of year. Don't expect them come down much before Labor day.

You can thank the eco-nuts.

This is the time of year the refineries have to switch over to the designer blends for the summer.

You can also thank the nutjobs in Iran.

I used to work about 30 miles round trip away from home...now Im 4 miles round trip...

:first:

15 feet from the bedroom to my office :first:

Hyundai Elantra 34 mpg city :ninja: :headbanger: :huh: :banana:

Hyundai ??????

:lol:

With a name like "swirvienirvin" I would expect you to drive a nascar type car.

BTW I work on cars for a living, and the Hyundai is MUCH better then the crap that the big 3 (GM FORD DODGE / CHRYSLER) are putting out right now for their "economy cars".

I drive like 60 miles a day to work. In addition my boat uses like 150-200 gals/month.

In a related topic, the other day my wife asked me to stop at a store on my way home from work. the only parking space that I saw was one that said "Reserved for Hybrid Vehicles" What kind of BS is that? I parked in it. I figured, why waste gas driving my SUV around the parking lot looking for a spot? Also, I have a hybrid. It uses both Gas and Oil.

I drive like 60 miles a day to work. In addition my boat uses like 150-200 gals/month.

In a related topic, the other day my wife asked me to stop at a store on my way home from work. the only parking space that I saw was one that said "Reserved for Hybrid Vehicles" What kind of BS is that? I parked in it. I figured, why waste gas driving my SUV around the parking lot looking for a spot? Also, I have a hybrid. It uses both Gas and Oil.

:headbanger:

Nice...

My mom bought a new toyota Prius, and although she is a tree hugger, and the Prius is a nice car, I can't wait to use that line on her.. :ninja:

Hyundai ??????

:D

BTW I work on cars for a living, and the Hyundai is MUCH better then the crap that the big 3 (GM FORD DODGE / CHRYSLER) are putting out right now for their "economy cars".

In college, I had a Yugo. You could not get that thing to break down. If you could take all the ribbing, and keep from hitting anything, it was the perfect car.

In college, I had a Yugo. You could not get that thing to break down. If you could take all the ribbing, and keep from hitting anything, it was the perfect car.

You had a Yugo and it did't break down?????????????

I salute you...

Didn't get laid much in college, did you :D

:P

This is the time of year the refineries have to switch over to the designer blends for the summer.

I paid 89 cents a gallon in Odessa, TX in 2001. When did these new regulations kick in that drove prices so high?

You had a Yugo and it did't break down?????????????

I salute you...

Didn't get laid much in college, did you :lol:

I admit it was not on the top ten list of sexiest cars. But...I got laid in spite of my ride. With the money I saved on gas I could aford a seedy hotel room whenever I wanted one. :first:

They charge high gas prices...because "they can."

It's a tip there is no shortage of gas. Oh..wait. There is a shortage of cheap gas, but there seems to be plenty of 2.75 gas where ever I look.

Hyundai ??????

:cheers:

also have a 02 mustang ragtop GT :(

Heres the real reason its skyrocketing on the East Coast. I predict chaos in May while everyone is trying to switch to ethanol based gas.

In addition, large cities in Texas and the East Coast are making an unexpectedly abrupt change to gasoline blends that use ethanol in place of the additive MTBE, or methyl tertiary butyl ether.

The sudden shift has traders worried about temporary fuel shortages as refiners work to secure enough ethanol as well as tanker trucks, storage tanks and other equipment to distribute ethanol to markets where it's needed most.

"This whole ethanol business has created shortages, and that has raised the price of gasoline to consumers," Hackett said.

Ethanol advocates have vehemently disputed predictions that the driving season will be marred by shortages of the corn-based additive. Current production, along with imports and some shifting of ethanol between markets, will provide sufficient volumes to meet summer demand, said Matt Hartwig, spokesman for the Renewable Fuels Assn.

The Energy Information Administration, an arm of the Energy Department, has said that tight ethanol supplies could create supply disruptions and price volatility in the coming months.

link

Fock...that's a bunch of BS also. Ethanol based gas. E-85. Fock.

What's wrong with this:

Regular gas is $2.25, E-85 is 2.00

Regular gas goes up to $2.50, E-85 goes up to 2.25

Regular gas goes up to 2.75, E-85 goes up to 2.50

Those aren't EXACT numbers, but around here, that is what happens with prices. Gasoline goes up, E-85 goes up the about the same. WTF...someone with a vehicle pulls up to the pumps, see's gas at 2.75, sees E-85 at 2.50, what are they going to do? Of course buy E-85. They always price E-85, just enough lower than gas, just past or at the break-even point on the "gas-mileage-lost-with E-85 chart".

If gas goes up 20%, e-85, being 85% ethanol, should not go up the same, but it does....simply because "they can".

At least that is the way the prices seem to work around here. And everyone biatches about it, but so far, it hasn't helped.

Gas Costs Expected to Be High This Summer

WASHINGTON - Pump prices for gasoline are rising with the temperature, and motorists should expect little relief during this summer's heavy driving period, the government reported Tuesday.

The Energy Department's new seasonal outlook projects the price for regular grade gasoline this summer will average $2.62 a gallon, 25 cents higher than last summer, barring any unexpected supply disruptions.

Gasoline prices have soared since February.

Last week motorists paid on average $2.68 a gallon nationwide for regular, an 18-cent increase in two weeks and 40 cents higher than the national average a year ago.

Growing demand, high crude oil costs, requirements for low-sulfur gasoline and greater demand for corn-based ethanol as an additive all "are expected to keep consumer prices for motor fuels ... high in 2006," said the report by the department's Energy Information Administration.

The high prices are not expected to dampen demand during the April-September heavy driving season. Motorists are expected to use an average 9.4 million barrels of gasoline a day, or 1.5 percent more than last summer, according to the Energy Department agency.

The agency cautioned that prices can vary by 27 cents to 50 cents a gallon between different regions of the country and that prices could spike higher if there are unexpected supply disruptions caused by the weather or refinery problems.

Some analysts said gasoline could return to $3 a gallon or more if crude oil prices increase sharply or there is concern about hurricane damage to producers in the Gulf of Mexico.

The markets are likely to be more jittery about the weather this summer in light of the widespread disruption of Gulf oil and gasoline production caused by hurricanes Katrina and Rita last year.

Gasoline spiked to a national average of $3.07 a gallon — and considerably higher in some areas — after last year's hurricanes.

"News of any developing hurricanes and tropical storms with a potential to cause significant new outages could add to (price) volatility ... in the latter part of the summer," said report said.

Prices at the pump have been climbing since February when the national average for the month was $2.25 a gallon.

High crude oil costs are partly to blame. Light, sweet crude for May delivery rose 61 cents to $69.35 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange by midday Tuesday in Europe. The contract rose $1.35 to settle at $68.74 on Monday.

The Energy Department's report said that crude oil is expected to remain high, averaging $65 a barrel for the year. But it said gasoline costs are expected to outstrip crude prices as demand for gasoline remains high and refiners assume additional costs because of new low-sulfur requirements and the phaseout of MTBE as a clean-air additive.

Three of the biggest refiners — Valero Energy Corp., Exxon Mobil Corp. and Shell Oil Co. — said they will stop putting MTBE into gasoline beginning May 5. Valero estimates that will shrink the nation's gasoline supply by 145,000 barrels a day.

At a congressional hearing last month, EIA Administrator Guy Caruso said about 130,000 barrels of ethanol, a substitute additive for MTBE, will be needed. That's about 50 percent of current output.

The demand for more ethanol has caused the price of the corn-based additive to surge to about $2.75 a gallon, an increase of about 50 cents a gallon.

The additives account for about 10 percent of gasoline volume in areas where they are used, so a 50-cent increase in ethanol translates into about a nickel a gallon boost in the fuel's cost to motorists.

Bob Dinneen, president of the Renewable Fuels Association, a trade group that represents the ethanol industry, told a Senate hearing last month that the industry will be able to meet ethanol demand even as refiners move away from using MTBE.

He said the industry is filling East Coast ethanol storage tanks and contracting barges that can ship ethanol down the Mississippi River to Gulf Coast refiners and up the Atlantic seaboard.

"The market is responding," he said. But he also said it was the oil industry's decision to stop using MTBE this soon.

Last year, Congress as part of broad energy legislation lifted the requirement that refiners include 2 percent oxygenate — MTBE or ethanol — in gasoline sold in areas having clean air problems, clearing the way for refiners to stop using MTBE. fullstory

I've been taking the train to work the last 2 months. It's 149 a month for the pass, includes the subway.

I used to drive 25 miles to take the subway to work, which cost me 3.50 to park and 44 a month for the subway, plus gas.

Anyway, I fill my tank up once a month. I just noticed last I filled it up, prices have gone up 45 cents since last time I went to the same gas station. GB the train. :P

Isn't the MBTA going up another 25%?

also have a 02 mustang ragtop GT :P

I have an 02 GT as well. My better half wants me to get rid of it because of the gas prices and says I'm being selfish not to. :shocking:

You can also thank the nutjobs in Iran.

Iranians and eco-nuts. The oil companies turning record profits quarter after quarter have nothing to do with it. :banana:

Has anyone blamed Bush yet?

I thought the only 1 good reason to come from the war was going to be cheapers gas. Oh well.

It was, but he decided to keep it all for his Strategery Oil Reserve.

I have an 02 GT as well. My better half wants me to get rid of it because of the gas prices and says I'm being selfish not to. :cry:

yeah it really is pretty stupid.. I could sell mine for probably right around 18k now which would ne much needed money for new house wedding etc.. oh well having 2 cars is nice :banana:

but I am reallt glad I have the elantra for the winter and just for other driving..