Sign in to follow this  
Portis26

San Francisco --> 6th overall pick

Many (Mel Kiper followers) think Vernon Davis is the guy the 9ers should take; mainly to help the offense, and give Alex Smith a target.

I totaly disagree with the 49ers taking a offensive player... they lost Lloyd, but got Antonio Bryant, Eric Johnson should be coming back, and Battle is coming along as a capable WR... their backfield has two backs in Gore and Barlow, as well as they have improved the Oline.

I think if they pass on Michael Huff, they will regret it for a LONG time.

Huff is the pick for the 49ers - IMO

They need secondary help and Huff can make a difference THIS upcoming season

I've been talking about Vernon Davis as a good fit potential offensive playmaker for the Niners here for a month - and I haven't listened to a thing Kiper has said, so your premise is a bit annoying.

I've also stated that if Huff, D'Brickshaw or Hawk is there, I'd prefer them.

There's already a topic about this though, and you can read these opinions as originally conveyed, and many more there. :thumbsup:

I think Vernon Davis would be a perfect target for the young alex smith in their offense. If the wr crop was better this year than that is what i would look for if i was SF, but o well.

I've been talking about Vernon Davis as a good fit potential offensive playmaker for the Niners here for a month - and I haven't listened to a thing Kiper has said, so your premise is a bit annoying.

I've also stated that if Huff, D'Brickshaw or Hawk is there, I'd prefer them.

There's already a topic about this though, and you can read these opinions as originally conveyed, and many more there. :unsure:

Can you point me to the Link? I can't find it

Why is my premise a bit annoying? Your not in the majority; as a Kiper follower, most people are all over Davis for the 49ers ---

Can you point me to the Link? I can't find it

Why is my premise a bit annoying? Your not in the majority; as a Kiper follower, most people are all over Davis for the 49ers ---

It's annoying anytime someone makes the assumption that because one believes something, they bought into it from someone else having said it as though we can't possibly have reached the conclusion on our own.

Considering I've said it since the day this site came back, maybe Kiper read my post and was influenced by me rather than the converse, eh? :wall:

I'll try to find the link, but I assure you there's a topic about this - maybe 2.

Personally, I feel that if Davis is the target, which the Niners need for blocking, receiving and as a potential playmaker in an offense that lacks one, then they could afford to deal down a few spots to get him - 1.06 is perhaps a slight reach for him.

I've been reading a lot about V Davis and I'm convinced that this guy will be a star, and I think the Niners will definitely be missing out if we don't get him.

However, I also believe our defense should be the 1st thing to be addressed. Although the picks of Mario WIlliams, AJ Hawk, or Michael Huff will not be as "sexy" as VD, I think we should seriously consider that.

And why not go on a limb and pick Marcedes Lewis in the 2nd? I think this guy will also be a star with his Antonio Gates type play.

I've been hearing a lot about Veron Davis for the last few months. Even though I only follow college football casually, if this guy is so great why haven't I heard about him before this?

It's annoying anytime someone makes the assumption that because one believes something, they bought into it from someone else having said it as though we can't possibly have reached the conclusion on our own.

gotcha... <_<

Well, I've come to my conclusion ---> Huff is the better choice for the 49ers franchise

I don't like an offensive pick for the 49ers at 6. Vernon Davis is a very skilled TE and would provide Alex Smith with a nice target. However, I think they would be better served taking A.J. Hawk or Huff. Both of these guys have "blue chip" written all over them and would greatly help the SF defense.

I really hope the Niners don't draft Davis. I know how good he's going to be, but he's not the type of player they need to turn this franchise around. Also, why draft a TE with the 6th pick in the deepest TE draft in years? The Niners could easily get a Lewis, Pope, Klopfenstein after the first round.

The Niners should take one of these guys instead:

- AJ Hawk: If he's there, jump on him.

- Mario Williams: I doubt he'll still be on the board, but who knows.

- Michael Huff: They need lots of help at CB and S.

- Winston Justice: Some O-Line help is what they really need. Assuming D'Brick is gone, Winston is money.

If If If..........

Hawk, D'Brickshaw, and Super Mario should all be gone when the 49'ers pick.

If/Should = NFL Draft

If the above 3 are gone, they should take Davis. Do you remember that other QB Turner coached who happened to have a great tight end? Troy Aikman. Novacek was his security blanket. All young QB's need a security blanket or a star WR to take pressure off them.

Johnson can't finish a season, Bryant is not a star, and that line is not going to be able to protect Smith. Davis can block and catch. Someone said they haven't heard about him before a month ago..... Prior to his 40 time at the combine, he was listed as the second best TE on the board, behind Lewis. He has been around and was well received way before the combine.

Since I have Bryant in a keeper league, I am curious about 9er fans' assessment of him and if I should bother protecting him. I apparently am the last person on earth who hasn't given up on Eric Johnson. At least they have bigger needs and are in the perfect place to land somebody who would be a #1 pick most other years. Between Hawk, Williams, Huff and Ferguson, at least one of them still has to be there at 6, all at positions of much greater need for them. Only if no QBs are taken before them should they consider Davis.

Between Hawk, Williams, Huff and Ferguson, at least one of them still has to be there at 6, all at positions of much greater need for them. Only if no QBs are taken before them should they consider Davis.

Well, if the Niners don't deal down, I think it's a safe assumption that Leinart & Bush will be gone ini the 1st 5 picks.

D'Brickshaw has been discussed at length as being a target of several of the top 5 teams, and the Niners already addressed the O-Line through FA to some extent, and have Jennings coming back.

So with Bush, Leinart and Fergusen off the board, one of Hawk, Huff or Williams will be there.

I agree that these are all blue chip players, but I think Davis is more of a need than some believe. Having a solid TE is a huge asset to a young QB, and solidifies the OL with blocking/pass protecting, while serving as a dump of option for ASmith. He set schoor records in the weight room, and for all intents and purposes looks like he'll be a beast.

All that said, I also wouldn't mind dealing that 1.06 pick to say, Denver for both of their 1st rounders. They covet a quality TE, and could be inclinded to make that deal.

take the best defensive player available period. alex smith will come around...give him time and protection.

mario if available...aj hawk is an option too

Many (Mel Kiper followers) think Vernon Davis is the guy the 9ers should take; mainly to help the offense, and give Alex Smith a target.

I totaly disagree with the 49ers taking a offensive player... they lost Lloyd, but got Antonio Bryant, Eric Johnson should be coming back, and Battle is coming along as a capable WR... their backfield has two backs in Gore and Barlow, as well as they have improved the Oline.

Eric Johnson is not someone who is reliable for a 16 game season. He's been hurt the last 2 seasons and he's productive when he's healthy, but that's a rarity these days. I'd be happy with Huff, Hawk, Mario, or Davis just not a QB, please.

:rolleyes:

Agree ~ Let EJohnson have one more try at TE and get some help on D!!

I like V.Davis he's not the next Gates but will be a Top-5 TE in a few years. That being said I think the 49ers need more help on D. Nolan is a defensive guy so they could go D but if they take V.Davis its by far not a bad pick.

While I agree that Eric Johnson is not a for sure guy. He's a pretty darn good TE when healthy (82 receptions in 2004). He's had many injuries over the years, but he's completely healthy this year. Last year he had plantar fascitis which is not a serious injury, it just takes a long time to heal. Plus they just resigned last year's TE, Terry Jones, who is a more than capable blocking TE from Baltimore (Nolan's guy). This draft is so deep at the TE position, it would be a waste to spend such a high pick on one.

News: Maryland TE Vernon Davis has apparently caught the eye of the Denver Broncos, reports the Rocky Mountain News. The Broncos have two first-round picks, including the 15th overall, and would consider Davis if they moved up into the top five or six. Davis is a tremendous pass-catching prospect whose stock rose when he ran a 4.38 at the Combine.

49ers would GREATLY benefit from trading for the 2 Denver picks

Here's a trick question that Im sure you all know......in what round was Antonio Gates drafted??? Here's another....at what pick did Pittsburgh take the first TE drafted last year...who's turned out to be a pretty decent player??? Finally, at what pick was Kellen Winslow, Jr taken? We all know it was about 20 picks too soon. Point is, why take early what you can get late, when TE is far from a coveted position in an NFL draft. Can you imagine where on earth the Dallas Cowboys would be without Roy Williams? the Niners need to take the best Dplayer available as quickly as possible and move on. Then take one of those other highly rated TEs in the 2nd or 3rd round. jmho.

Here's a trick question that Im sure you all know......in what round was Antonio Gates drafted??? Here's another....at what pick did Pittsburgh take the first TE drafted last year...who's turned out to be a pretty decent player??? Finally, at what pick was Kellen Winslow, Jr taken? We all know it was about 20 picks too soon. Point is, why take early what you can get late, when TE is far from a coveted position in an NFL draft. Can you imagine where on earth the Dallas Cowboys would be without Roy Williams? the Niners need to take the best Dplayer available as quickly as possible and move on. Then take one of those other highly rated TEs in the 2nd or 3rd round. jmho.

Again - the ONLY way I want them to take Vernon Davis is if they deal down to do so.

Again - the ONLY way I want them to take Vernon Davis is if they deal down to do so.

Denver is sniffing around Davis -- if the 49ers want him, it will be in the 6th spot

Denver is sniffing around Davis -- if the 49ers want him, it will be in the 6th spot

Denver doesn't pick until 15th

If the Niners want him they can deal down to several teams including Denver.

Rumor has it that Denver has been looking for a solid TE for some time - do they covet Davis enough to deal up to 6? That remains to be seen.

Do the Niners risk mising one of the blue-chip defensive players that's sure to be there at 6th - assuming Leinart, Fergusen & Bush go in the top 6 picks, one of Huff, Williams or Hawk will be there.

That would be a tough call - I'd love to see them get one of the "elite" defenders in this draft, but they have many holes to fill...

With VD's speed (4.38), he could be split out wide or in the slot, or be used on the line like a real TE, like Gates does, EJ could still be used to block and catch (until he gets hurt again). VD would be like two players in one. What a bargain! I think a possible pro-bowler in second year with only a couple of good TE's in the NFC. VD creates many missmatches with his size and speed. I think that's who they pick in the first round.

Huff did make a visit to the Bay Area last week though, hummm...

With VD's speed (4.38), he could be split out wide or in the slot, or be used on the line like a real TE, like Gates does, EJ could still be used to block and catch (until he gets hurt again). VD would be like two players in one. What a bargain! I think a possible pro-bowler in second year with only a couple of good TE's in the NFC. VD creates many missmatches with his size and speed. I think that's who they pick in the first round.

Huff did make a visit to the Bay Area last week though, hummm...

I agree - the fact that he can block and catch is something to consider.

But I, like others, can't see passing up on a can't miss DB in Huff, a potentially elite LB in Hawk or a solid DE in Williams.

FWIW, I just saw on NFL.com the following from Pat Kirwan

(April 15, 2006) -- This is my first of three mock drafts that I will create for NFL.com leading up to the draft at the end of the month. I will assume that there will be no pre-draft trades that could change the decision making along the way. I will combine the activity in free agency, the needs of the teams, and the grades of the players as draft boards start to take shape.

1. Houston: Reggie Bush, RB, USC

Bush is a once-in-a-decade player and a matchup nightmare. He had 38 touchdowns in three years at USC.

2. New Orleans: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia

He could move down but a 10-year starter is too hard to resist. The Saints traded Wayne Gandy, a starter at tackle last season, to Atlanta.

3. Tennessee: Matt Leinart, QB, USC

Leinart threw for more touchdown passes in college than Vince Young and Jay Cutler combined. He also knows the Titans' offense, having played under coordinator Norm Chow at USC.

4. N.Y. Jets: Mario Williams, DE, N.C. State

Williams can replace John Abraham, who was traded this offseason. He reminds new coach Eric Mangini of the Patriots' Richard Seymour and can play in either the 3-4 or 4-3.

5. Green Bay: Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon

Having Ngata in the middle makes Green Bay defensive ends Aaron Kampman and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila better. Ngata stops the run and has a rare combination of size and speed.

6. San Francisco: Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland

A young quarterback like Alex Smith always needs a tight end to be effective and Davis can provide major matchup problems.

7. Oakland: Vince Young, QB, Texas

Aaron Brooks signed a two-year deal with the Raiders, but owner Al Davis likes Young's upside. Randy Moss could make a perfect partner.

8. Buffalo: Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Florida State

The best under tackle for the new 'Dungy' defense, Bunkley has a talent that is hard to find.

9. Detroit: Michael Huff, DB, Texas

The safest pick in the draft, Huff can play either cornerback or safety. He is a leader and a Matt Millen-type player.

10. Arizona: Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt

Kurt Warner is old and brittle and Cutler is Brett Favre-like. He's still two years away, though.

11. St. Louis: A.J. Hawk, OLB, Ohio State

Hawk should have been gone by now but will become a cornerstone for Jim Haslett's defense.

12. Cleveland: Kamerion Wimbley, DE, Florida State

Wimbley is the perfect fit for the 3-4 defense and reminds general manager Phil Savage of Peter Boulware, who Savage helped draft in Baltimore.

13. Baltimore: Winston Justice, OT, USC

The Ravens can use Justice at right tackle until Jonathan Ogden retires.

14. Philadelphia: Chad Jackson, WR, Florida

The Eagles failed to land Eric Moulds and released Terrell Owens, so they could use Jackson right away.

15. Denver: Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State

The Broncos can trade Ashley Lelie right after this pick.

16. Miami: Ernie Sims, OLB, Florida State

Sims is a tackling machine and replaces Junior Seau on the Dolphins defense.

17. Minnesota: Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa

Greenway has a high character, the type of player that new coach Brad Childress wants on the team.

18. Dallas: Manny Lawson, LB, N.C. State

Lawson is the perfect complement to DeMarcus Ware.

19. San Diego: Jimmy Williams, DB, Virginia Tech

Williams can be a corner or safety and the Chargers need to replace Sammy Davis in the secondary.

20. Kansas City: Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida State

Cromartie is a tremendous athlete and has had excellent workouts. The Chiefs really need to focus on defense in the draft.

21. New England: DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama

The Patriots replace Willie McGinest with Ryans, a highly productive linebacker.

22. Denver: DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis

The Broncos got the wide receiver earlier in the draft and the running back completes their first round.

23. Tampa Bay: Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College

Kiwanuka can learn for a year behing Simeon Rice. He had 34 sacks in college.

24. Cincinnati: Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State

Bengals center Rich Braham is 36 years old and in the last year of his contract.

25. N.Y. Giants: Bobby Carpenter, OLB, Ohio State

The son of former Giants running back Rob Carpenter, he is a versatile linebacker than can fill two needs.

26. Chicago: Tye Hill, CB, Clemson

This pick could change if the Bears acquire a cornerback in free agency.

27. Carolina: Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota

With Stephen Davis gone, the Panthers need a back to complement DeShaun Foster.

28. Jacksonville: Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State

A slow time in the 40-yard dash drops Hali, but he could be used replace Paul Spicer.

29. N.Y. Jets: Eric Winston, OT, Miami

The Jets missed out on Ferguson earlier and left tackle is a top need.

30. Indianapolis: Thomas Howard, OLB, Texas-El Paso

USC running back LenDale White is there but the Colts also lost linebacker David Thornton.

31. Seattle: Davin Joseph, G, Oklahoma: Joseph is an immediate replacement for Steve Hutchinson.

32. Pittsburgh: Rodrique Wright, DT, Texas: White looks tempting, but Wright answers a bigger need.

So apparently he likes Davis for the Niners too. The guy is a potential difference maker on offense, so if they take him I won't be sad.

But I'd prefer Nolan builds a mean defense, so I guess I have to hope we deal the pick or Mario Williams makes it to them at 6.

V. Davis because they will try to make A Smith not look like that bad of a pick. If they don't get Davis expect very poor numbers for Alex once again.

If the 49ers take Vernon Davis at #6, they WILL be the first team selecting in the 2007 NFL Draft.

with so many holes need to fill, ESP on Defense, their best move is to trade out of that spot and they can still pick a VERY GOOD TE in the later rounds.

TE is very deep after Davis, so i think is ABSURD to think the 49ers who lost their best defensive player, would pay a TE---> top 6 money ---> who won't make much more of a difference then any of these later round TEs

Leonard Pope, Georgia

At 6-7 and 250 pounds, Pope should develop into a force as a blocking tight end, but he also has great receiving skills. He led the Bulldogs with 39 catches for 541 yards last season, and also added four touchdown receptions. It is expected that Pope will be selected late in the first round or early in the second.

Marcedes Lewis, UCLA

Lewis is a solid route-runner and pass receiver who led the Bruins with 58 receptions for 741 yards and 10 touchdowns. At 6-5 and 254 pounds, he has ideal size, but some scouts believe he'll need to develop more as a blocking tight end.

Joe Klopfenstein, Colorado

Like Davis, Klopfenstein has solid speed and good size, but some scouts think he needs to improve his blocking. He is a blue collar-type of player, with solid smarts and work ethic, who scouts say could be great value in the second round. Last season, he had 33 catches for 468 touchdowns and four touchdowns.

Dominique Byrd, USC

Byrd was a complementary part of the high-powered USC offense last year, logging 29 catches for 306 yards. Those numbers were a drop-off from previous seasons, one reason why the 6-2, 260-pounder is expected to slip to the second round, or possibly the third.

Anthony Fasano, Notre Dame

Fasano is a tough-minded player who played in a pro-style offense at Notre Dame, logging 47 catches for 576 yards and two touchdowns. At 6-5 and 255 pounds, he is regarded as the best blocking tight end available in the draft.

Jeff King, Virginia Tech

King developed into a solid red zone threat for the Hokies, finishing last season with 26 catches, six for touchdowns. The 6-4, 260-pounder should be a late-round draft pick because he also plays on special teams.

David Thomas, Texas

A solid receiving tight end, Thomas led the Longhorns with 50 catches for 613 yards and five touchdowns last season. But he is thought to be somewhat light at 6-2 and 236 pounds.

Cooper Wallace, Auburn

The 6-3, 262-pound Wallace played with Jason Campbell at Auburn. He caught 20 passes for 195 yards and one touchdown last season

I think Vernon Davis would be a perfect target for the young alex smith in their offense. If the wr crop was better this year than that is what i would look for if i was SF, but o well.

This was my first thought as well, but with a twist.

They already have Johnson. Davis couls step in where he gets injured, but also step in as a posession receiver. Davis is a beast with speed and could range over the middle at will and actually intimidate safeties.I the SF would do well to draft him, but 6 does seem high :first:

the niners need a lot of help (obvious, since they are picking atop the draft). i do agree that huff and vdavis are immediate difference makers. gaining the extra pick in rd1 (the 22 from denver) is a great move. i feel there are a lot of value defenders available in this draft between 10-25. they could make great strides on defense with huff and one of lawson/mccargo/wimbley/hill/hodge/simpson/cromartie. splitting offense/defense is another choice. they will definitely get 2 starters to help next yr.

I don't get it, and I didn't read the whole thread carefully. Just scanning thoughts. You don't want VD unless they trade down?

Okay, many scenarios are possible, but if I was a 9er fan, I would want VD in the many of the probable scenarios.

Example draft order: Bush, D'Brick, Leinart, Mario, Hawk. That one is pretty standard fare and as likely as any. You would want someone other than VD here or trade down? At this point, if you don't want a QB, VD is a great pick. There's a handful of very good safeties comparable to Huff in this draft. Seriously, this kid is good, reminiscent of Reed, but so is Williams, Allen, Cromartie, Bullocks, and Whitner. It's also a nice class for TEs, but not this nice. The person who started this thread is wrong.

The 9ers are in such a terrible situation that it's a great daft situation. They have so many needs they can go BPA with that first pick and not look back. Given good health Davis has the tools to become a dominant player. Sheesh, he has the tools to be greatest TE ever, because no TE has ever had tools like him. I doubt that happens, but the draft is a crapshoot, and if you can take a freak with this kind of potential, you do it or regret it. Huff is nice. He's got good competition for best safety, and a lot of depth that will be fine in the NFL. Davis has no peer in this draft. That's the pick.

If Hawk Mario or D'Brick fell, then I would expect the 9ers to do the right thing and draft one of them. I could see them passing on D'Brick. They mortgaged the future on Jennings and neither D'Brick or Jennings are cut out for RT (or RT paychecks).

For the 9ers?

D'Brick or VD? Ouch but VD.

Hawk or VD? Ouch again, but Hawk.

Mario or VD? MARIO!

Huff or VD? VD!

am i the only one that trusts eric johnson to be healthy all next year?

Who cares? Johnson is an over achiever who cannot dominate. He had big numbers because they had nowhere else to go. This team needs playmakers, dominators, difference makers. They don't need some mediocre talent to put up nice fantasy numbers on a garbage offense. They need to stretch the defense, commit the LBs and safeties, create mismatches. They need to get much much much better.

Rest assured, whoever the 9ers pick will have a short and painful career. We're the new Bengals of the NFL.

Regardless of who they take with the #6 pick, they are still going to struggle this year. I think they need Davis to help out Smith in the passing game.

am i the only one that trusts eric johnson to be healthy all next year?

Yes. He's been productive when healthy, but that's not nearly often enough.

I don't get it, and I didn't read the whole thread carefully. Just scanning thoughts. You don't want VD unless they trade down?

Okay, many scenarios are possible, but if I was a 9er fan, I would want VD in the many of the probable scenarios.

Example draft order: Bush, D'Brick, Leinart, Mario, Hawk. That one is pretty standard fare and as likely as any. You would want someone other than VD here or trade down? At this point, if you don't want a QB, VD is a great pick. There's a handful of very good safeties comparable to Huff in this draft. Seriously, this kid is good, reminiscent of Reed, but so is Williams, Allen, Cromartie, Bullocks, and Whitner. It's also a nice class for TEs, but not this nice. The person who started this thread is wrong.

The 9ers are in such a terrible situation that it's a great daft situation. They have so many needs they can go BPA with that first pick and not look back. Given good health Davis has the tools to become a dominant player. Sheesh, he has the tools to be greatest TE ever, because no TE has ever had tools like him. I doubt that happens, but the draft is a crapshoot, and if you can take a freak with this kind of potential, you do it or regret it. Huff is nice. He's got good competition for best safety, and a lot of depth that will be fine in the NFL. Davis has no peer in this draft. That's the pick.

If Hawk Mario or D'Brick fell, then I would expect the 9ers to do the right thing and draft one of them. I could see them passing on D'Brick. They mortgaged the future on Jennings and neither D'Brick or Jennings are cut out for RT (or RT paychecks).

For the 9ers?

D'Brick or VD? Ouch but VD.

Hawk or VD? Ouch again, but Hawk.

Mario or VD? MARIO!

Huff or VD? VD!

indeed you didn't read everything, because I am nearly 100% alligned with your sentiments here.

I've been high on Davis for a month+, even before any of these mocks came out - the guy is a beast and I'm a Terp fan, since I was born in MD and have a ton of family there.

but I think 6 is too high. when I say "deal down" I'm talking about to 8-10, as I think VDavis would be there for them.

but if they took him at 6 I wouldn't be disappointed because he's a player who is

1. a playmaker

2. multi-purpose in pass protection, run blocking and as a viable receiving threat

3. a huge, fast, unique player who will create offensive mismatches all over the field.

I also pointed out, like you, that while it is a deep draft for TEs, people should not discount the things that make this TE a top 10 draft pick where the others are not - he has 4.38 40 speed, great hands, and he's huge. I would be thrilled to have him as a Niner.

But if Mario Williams is sitting there by some miracle at 6, the Niners would be insane to pass him up.

If it's Hawk, I think there is comparable talent at 22 if the Niners miss the OLB they may be targeting there.

I am a big, big Vernon Davis fan, but if they can deal down to 8 with some confidence that Davis will be there, jackpot. :blink:

Ah, I love the NFL draft - so many what ifs...

IF the Saints pick Ferguson and IF the Titans want Vince Young OR Leinart:

The Niners now have the picks to trade up to the Titans' spot and draft Mario, and they'd get a later-round pick back from the Titans (3rd overall and 4th rounder for Niners' two first round picks would just about balance according to the value chart).

The 49ers have lots of holes and there are lots of good players that will still be available at #6.

There is no reason to throw a fit if they choose one over the other.

Personally, I think their number one concern in this draft should be to add weapons and protection around their young quarterback. Michael Huff would be a nice addition for the defense, but they have a lot of money invested in Alex Smith. They need to surround him with options now, or 3-4 years down the line, they still won't know what kind of player they have under center.

The top receiving option available at #6 will be Vernon Davis. If he turns out to be as good as people are saying, the Niners could eventually turn it into a Brees-Gates, Green-Gonzo type combination.

Since Brickashaw will likely be gone, the next best line option is Winston Justice, who would be quite a reach at the sixth pick. And since SF spent money last year to sign Jonas Jennings at OT, he likely would end up playing out of position.

Most likely it will be Huff or Hawk.... I think Hawk will be the better pick for them in the long run....