Sign in to follow this  
Vikings4ever

Woodson, Packers agree to terms

Well this certainly helps a great deal. Woodson is a major upgrade over Carrol. Now we just need a LB and the defense looks decent on paper.

Of course the offense is a complete mess. As far as I know we still need a center and a guard. Not to mention a WR thanks to Walker.

It will be interesting to see what the Packers do with the 5th pick overall.

Love it, love it, love it.

Swamp - Yes, he replaces Caroll in a heartbeat. I actualy think Caroll is well suited to be nickelback, a new version of T-Buck if you will. As for the draft, I really don't see them trading down unless an amazing boatload of picks comes thier way. They have to use that pick to get a difference maker, either Hawk or Davis (personaly, I hope it's Davis.)

As for the draft, I really don't see them trading down unless an amazing boatload of picks comes thier way. They have to use that pick to get a difference maker, either Hawk or Davis (personaly, I hope it's Davis.)

There is talk that the Jets are going to take Davis at #4.

He's supposed to be freakishly good. With WR's being so poor in this draft he certainly would help Brett Favre and the offense.

Packers | Woodson to see action on offense

Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:16:41 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports according to agent Carl Poston, CB Charles Woodson picked the Green Bay Packers over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because head coach Mike McCarthy agreed to let him play on offense as well as play cornerback. "I think the fact that Brett committed to another year, that was one thing Charles was interested in," Poston said. "Another point is that they agreed to let Charles play offense as well as defense. That proved to be very beneficial to them. They wouldn't let him do that in Oakland." According to Poston, the Buccaneers, coached by Jon Gruden, weren't interested in allowing him to play on offense and wanted him to play safety. McCarthy said that when Woodson visited the Packers April 3, he told Woodson that he would be able to play some wide receiver if he signed in Green Bay. Woodson is expected to start at cornerback opposite CB Al Harris.

:thumbsup: :cheers:

while i'll give you woodson as being a good signing, a positive addition, all that good stuff...i will remind you that the team he played for last year is drafting #7 overall this year. he isn't superman :thumbsup:

Well he didnt really "play" for them as he was injured for a majority of the year.

Packers | Woodson to see action on offense

Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:16:41 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports according to agent Carl Poston, CB Charles Woodson picked the Green Bay Packers over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because head coach Mike McCarthy agreed to let him play on offense as well as play cornerback. "I think the fact that Brett committed to another year, that was one thing Charles was interested in," Poston said. "Another point is that they agreed to let Charles play offense as well as defense. That proved to be very beneficial to them. They wouldn't let him do that in Oakland." According to Poston, the Buccaneers, coached by Jon Gruden, weren't interested in allowing him to play on offense and wanted him to play safety. McCarthy said that when Woodson visited the Packers April 3, he told Woodson that he would be able to play some wide receiver if he signed in Green Bay. Woodson is expected to start at cornerback opposite CB Al Harris.

:thumbsup: :cheers:

He can't be any worse than Robert Ferguson...

Let's see.... 10 Mill... he will play in maybe 6 games this year... yeah that's a bargain and a good investment.... :thumbsup:

Woodson will bring nothing to GB that will be helpful and will end up being a drain both financially and mentally in the lockeroom.

So long Charles.... good sell on your part and happy you got what you wanted, but you GB fans are in for a letdown.

Let's see.... 10 Mill... he will play in maybe 6 games this year... yeah that's a bargain and a good investment.... :thumbsup:

Woodson will bring nothing to GB that will be helpful and will end up being a drain both financially and mentally in the lockeroom.

So long Charles.... good sell on your part and happy you got what you wanted, but you GB fans are in for a letdown.

I always love the definative posts from fans of the team a guy leaves (I am guilty of this too)...downplaying a guy and thinking he will always be injurred.

He's no Manning Jr. ...

True...so far he is not needing a bail bondsman.

I always love the definative posts from fans of the team a guy leaves (I am guilty of this too)...downplaying a guy and thinking he will always be injurred.

True...so far he is not needing a bail bondsman.

Hmmm 4 years of playing less than 7 games per year is more than sour grapes :thumbsup:

Hmmm 4 years of playing less than 7 games per year is more than sour grapes :first:

From what I'm reading Woodson didn't get a signing bonus. That means the Packers can be rid of him if he doesn't perform well enough with virtually no salary cap ramifications at any time.

Of course if he gets hurt they'd have to give him an injury settlement...

This helps Carroll too. He will only have to cover a #3 WR and be on the bench most of the time (that alone is worth half of CW's salary). Maybe this will both send him a message and help him learn how to cover NFL WR's without grabbing their jocks every single play. :thumbsup:

Love it, love it, love it.

Swamp - Yes, he replaces Caroll in a heartbeat. I actualy think Caroll is well suited to be nickelback, a new version of T-Buck if you will. As for the draft, I really don't see them trading down unless an amazing boatload of picks comes thier way. They have to use that pick to get a difference maker, either Hawk or Davis (personaly, I hope it's Davis.)

Agreed. Although I'm not completely sold on picking Davis over Hawk. Don't get me wrong, Davis would be a fine addition to the offense, but we have got to shore up the LB core with a great LB like Hawk. Franks still has gas left in the tank, and I bet they start using him more this year. I'd rather see the Pack trade down, but if they don't, I'd like to see them grab Hawk, and in the second round grab the best G/T on the board. Then start targetting other LB's and WR/TE's in the following rounds. It all starts with defense, and an improved defense will only give Favre more opportunities to make something happen (especially if he ends up throwing as many picks as he did last year).

I was one that was telling the Pack to overspend a bit because of their cap space, but GOD DAMN! I didn't say blow it all at once. Still a good addition to the defense though, if he stays healthy.

Agreed. Although I'm not completely sold on picking Davis over Hawk. Don't get me wrong, Davis would be a fine addition to the offense, but we have got to shore up the LB core with a great LB like Hawk. Franks still has gas left in the tank, and I bet they start using him more this year. I'd rather see the Pack trade down, but if they don't, I'd like to see them grab Hawk, and in the second round grab the best G/T on the board. Then start targetting other LB's and WR/TE's in the following rounds. It all starts with defense, and an improved defense will only give Favre more opportunities to make something happen (especially if he ends up throwing as many picks as he did last year).

I see the Pack picking Hawk as a no brainer pick. Not only is he the tops at his position, but look at a couple of other things.

- He's always mentioned as a throwback type player, which should allow him to appreciate the Pack's history.

- He's from the midwest, so there will never be any of the common "GB is boring" bull going on with him.

- He's from the midwest, so there's no problem with weather.

It's a perfect fit IMO.

Ths is how we go from 4-12 to 12-4!!!

Sun., Sept. 10 Chicago Bears 3:15 p.m. FOX L

Stumble out of the gates against a good D

Sun., Sept. 17 New Orleans Saints (GP) 12 noon FOX W

I mean look what we did to them last year

Sun., Sept. 24 @ Detroit Lions 12 noon FOX W

Come on, its the Lions the one NFC north team we should sweep

Mon., Oct. 2 @ Philadelphia Eagles 7:30 p.m. ESPN W

With no TO, hey arent half the team they used to be

Sun., Oct. 8 St. Louis Rams 12 noon FOX W

Could go either way, but its on home field.

Sun., Oct. 15 Open Date

Sun., Oct. 22 @ Miami Dolphins 12 noon FOX W

Dont know how this is going to go with C-Pep, cross my fingers

Sun., Oct. 29 Arizona Cardinals 12 noon FOX W

It will be too cold for Boldin and Fitzgerald

Sun., Nov. 5 @ Buffalo Bills 12 noon FOX W

Could be a Nall vs. Favre matchup

Sun., Nov. 12 @ Minnesota Vikings *12 noon FOX L

We will at least split these games

Sun., Nov. 19 New England Patriots (GP) *12 noon CBS L

Pats still put together a pretty good team

Mon., Nov. 27 @ Seattle Seahawks 7:30 p.m. ESPN L

Away game against NFC champ

Sun., Dec. 3 New York Jets *12 noon CBS W

Havent done much to improve

Sun., Dec. 10 @ San Francisco 49ers *3:05 p.m. FOX W

Can anyone name a skill position player? Who is at WR?

Sun., Dec. 17 Detroit Lions *12 noon FOX W

Thurs., Dec. 21 Minnesota Vikings 7:00 p.m. NFLN W

Last four games determined by a field goal, hopefully wont come down to Longwell vs. Cundiff.

Sun., Dec. 31 @ Chicago Bears *12 noon FOX W

By this time, Favre will have the fire in his eyes knowing its his last regular season game.

Dont be goin crazy now. They have ascended to mediocrity, not superbowl contender. There is still massive holes on the Oline, WR, LB. They also have a new coach and system which can have growing pains.

You should be ecstatic with 8-8.

question, packer fans:

do you see this signing as altering the packers draft plans on saturday? one or two of you have briefly commented on that here, but i like to here what others think (not trying to hi-jack the thread). and do most of you agree with anonymous that woodson replaces carroll? that would be my first inclination...although a safety duo of collins and woodson also sounds intriguing.

OLB is so much of a need....I say if Mario is there(which is about a 10% chance) they take him...

Hawk if Marios gone...

also a big chance on trading down knowing TT...i just hope if we do that we get good value back for our 5th spot...

I still see them taking Hawk over anything else....but they do have options..

Woodson will be a Corner unless carroll decides to be a man and play....but i just don't see that...looks like Harris and Woodson at CB with Carroll/Hawkins at nickle....then Collins and most likley Manual...

OLB is so much of a need....I say if Mario is there(which is about a 10% chance) they take him...

Hawk if Marios gone...

also a big chance on trading down knowing TT...i just hope if we do that we get good value back for our 5th spot...

Woodson will be a Corner unless carroll decides to be a man and play....but i just don't see that...looks like Harris and Woodson at CB with Carroll/Hawkins at nickle....then Collins and most likley Manual...

millen claims (i know, insert jokes here) that if the lions ever got hawk (i know, they won't) they'd plug him in at middle linebacker and not look back. he claims he's a perfect fit for mlb.

just an interesting tidbit...

The Packer front office has been lambasted by all of the Packer haters on the board, but let's look at what they really have done.

Offense:

RB

Green - The leading rusher in the NFL for the new millenium

#2 Davenport has been know to fill in very well for Green when he goes down (165 yards against the Rams; 2 TD's and tearing it up in the first half before he went down last year.

#3 Gado - Extremely Green and raw, but getting better and better and still had 100 yard games for terrible packer team last year.

WR

Walker and Driver

How many better WR tandems are there in the NFL outside of Indy?

TE

Franks is very solid

OL

Free agency losses hurt, but I think if they can get Barry or Tausch to play guard, Wells will be fine at center, and they draft an OG high, they can be good as a unit again.

QB

Favre has been known to be a decent QB when he doesn't try to do so much on an injury-depleted team

Defense

Top-10 defense is adding Woodson, Pickett, possible Hawk ;) , and upgraded terrible Roman

Yes, Walker is a malcontent, but he was still drafted by the FO and a great pick....

I realize it's been 17 years since many of you have been able to blast the Packers, but the moves they have made to set their team up aren't as bad as you would like to believe.

Definitely, not Millen-like.

I would like to see them make the offensive line a priority.

My conservative guess this year is 12-4 :argue:

WR

Walker and Driver

Not trying to bash, but I can think of many.

Hawk if Marios gone...

I think I've been swayed by others on what I'd like to see happen for the best of the team.

Since Favre is coming back I'd like to see them take Vernon Davis. This draft is deep at LB so would you rather get a fast, stud, proven leader LB in Hawk or wait and take an excellent LB in maybe Howard or Lawson in the 2nd? Meanwhile you may be getting a freakish, once in a lifetime TE instead.

I'm starting to think the freakish talent makes more sense right now, especially since Favre is still there.

I'd also still love to see a draft day trade with Denver involving Walker, Lelie, and a Denver low 2nd rounder. Then I'd like to see GB get Davis, Lawson/Howard, then maybe Jean-Gilles or Joseph at guard. I'd love to see that happen.

This helps Carroll too. He will only have to cover a #3 WR and be on the bench most of the time (that alone is worth half of CW's salary). Maybe this will both send him a message and help him learn how to cover NFL WR's without grabbing their jocks every single play. :argue:

Probably also will see Carroll in the return game more this year after losing Chatman.

I was one that was telling the Pack to overspend a bit because of their cap space, but GOD DAMN! I didn't say blow it all at once. Still a good addition to the defense though, if he stays healthy.

Look at the details of the deal...not blowing it all at once...or anything close really.

The Packer front office has been lambasted by all of the Packer haters on the board, but let's look at what they really have done.

Offense:

RB

Green - The leading rusher in the NFL for the new millenium

#2 Davenport has been know to fill in very well for Green when he goes down (165 yards against the Rams; 2 TD's and tearing it up in the first half before he went down last year.

#3 Gado - Extremely Green and raw, but getting better and better and still had 100 yard games for terrible packer team last year.

WR

Walker and Driver

TE

Franks is very solid

OL

Free agency losses hurt, but I think if they can get Barry or Tausch to play guard, Wells will be fine at center, and they draft an OG high, they can be good as a unit again.

QB

Favre has been known to be a decent QB when he doesn't try to do so much on an injury-depleted team

Defense

Top-10 defense is adding Woodson, Pickett, possible Hawk ;) , and upgraded terrible Roman

Yes, Walker is a malcontent, but he was still drafted by the FO and a great pick....

I realize it's been 17 years since many of you have been able to blast the Packers, but the moves they have made to set their team up aren't as bad as you would like to believe.

Definitely, not Millen-like.

I would like to see them make the offensive line a priority.

My conservative guess this year is 12-4 :argue:

their rush defense was one of the worst in the league last year. pickett will help (as will hawk if they take him). there's a new regime and a new system (and yes, the lions and vikes also have to contend with that). the d-coordinator from last year is gone.

there certainly is room to be optimistic, hopeful for improvement, but there is equally a lot of question marks and things that have to go right (as with the lions and vikings...and even, i dare say, the bears). can green re-gain his prior form? even when healthy lately he hasn't exactly been setting the world ablaze. walker is all but gone, so it's unrealistic to include him in the plus category heading into 2006. take him out of the equation and there's a whole lotta question marks at wr. o-line, special teams, linebacker, fs, and wr (among other things) are areas of major concern.

and i'm not for minute suggesting other teams don't have the same issues or same concerns.

as for pick 5, my gut tells me ngata. him plus pickett would definitely upgrade a major weakness last year (rush defense).

Hawk if Marios gone...

Agreed OLB is a need...but so is an offensive playmaker. And there is a ton of depth at LB this year. Id love davis at 5...LB in the 2nd...guard in the 3rd.

wow- I shoula known Packer fans would be gushing about this....

Here are some reasons to hate this acquisition:

*Not a team leader - more of a malcontent who has proven to be a poor influence on teammates

*Has never reached (or even come close to) his potential

*Not a hard worker in practice, thought to take plays off in games

*Poor track record with coaches & teammates

*Gets hurt every....single...season

*Is being paid a guarenteed 10 million dollars.

No other team in the NFL wanted this guy, much less wanted to pay him 10 million.

As any Raider fan here what they think of him, and they'll tell you the same - Woodson is a pile, and it's a small miracle he is getting paid 10 mil for a season. He definately doesn't deserve it.

While the Pack is sharp for including performence incentives, they are idiots to pay him a guarenteed 10 mil for the season.

Terrible contract for an overrated player. Don't believe me? Stats don't lie. :argue:

Not trying to bash, but I can think of many.

A healthy and happy Walker with Driver is one of the better.

I can think of some better...but not "many".

Holt/Bruce

Harrison/Wayne

CJ/Housh

Boldin/Fitz

then the waters get muddy...

Holt/Bruce

Harrison/Wayne

CJ/Housh

Boldin/Fitz

I shouldn't have used the term "many".

I think I've been swayed by others on what I'd like to see happen for the best of the team.

Since Favre is coming back I'd like to see them take Vernon Davis. This draft is deep at LB so would you rather get a fast, stud, proven leader LB in Hawk or wait and take an excellent LB in maybe Howard or Lawson in the 2nd? Meanwhile you may be getting a freakish, once in a lifetime TE instead.

I'm starting to think the freakish talent makes more sense right now, especially since Favre is still there.

I'd also still love to see a draft day trade with Denver involving Walker, Lelie, and a Denver low 2nd rounder. Then I'd like to see GB get Davis, Lawson/Howard, then maybe Jean-Gilles or Joseph at guard. I'd love to see that happen.

I do not see Joseph lasting too far into the 2nd...could see Gilles slide...and Im sticking with my liking of Charles Spencer at guard in the late 2nd or early 3rd.

*Not a team leader - more of a malcontent who has proven to be a poor influence on teammates

No other team in the NFL wanted this guy, much less wanted to pay him 10 million.

As any Raider fan here what they think of him, and they'll tell you the same - Woodson is a pile, and it's a small miracle he is getting paid 10 mil for a season. He definately doesn't deserve it.

While the Pack is sharp for including performence incentives, they are idiots to pay him a guarenteed 10 mil for the season.

Terrible contract for an overrated player. Don't believe me? Stats don't lie. :banana:

in fairness, not a lot of other teams had the cap space to pay him the money the packers did. yes, his injury concerns are legitimate. yes, this signing--like all signings--carries with it risk. but it's hard to knock this signing given the packers needs and their cap space.

I do not see Joseph lasting too far into the 2nd...could see Gilles slide...and Im sticking with my liking of Charles Spencer at guard in the late 2nd or early 3rd.

joseph has been a name mentioned in the 2nd quite frequently in lion circles. and spencer (though i think high 2nd is too high for him).

Terrible contract for an overrated player. Don't believe me? Stats don't lie. :banana:

Gushing? We are happy that he will be better than Carroll... (for the most part)

*we do not need him to be a team leader

*has never reached...not a bad thing...maybe he will

*thought to? we will see

*maybe

*10 mil is not really much anymore as far as upfront...the rest of the deal looks very good for the Packers...they took the risk this year when they have the money to do so. He is better than any rookie would be...and probably keeps Carroll and his penalties off the field more.

Any raider fan will not really tell you the same...they will try to throw out the injuries (and be statistically wrong about that).

Actually looks like a good contract for a risk/reward type player.

Holt/Bruce

Harrison/Wayne

CJ/Housh

Boldin/Fitz

i agree with your first sentence--but as reports have walker all but gone (not to mention his health uncertainty at this point) it's unrealistic to suppose that tandem will be lining up for the packers come opening day.

their rush defense was one of the worst in the league last year. pickett will help (as will hawk if they take him). there's a new regime and a new system (and yes, the lions and vikes also have to contend with that). the d-coordinator from last year is gone.

there certainly is room to be optimistic, hopeful for improvement, but there is equally a lot of question marks and things that have to go right (as with the lions and vikings...and even, i dare say, the bears). can green re-gain his prior form? even when healthy lately he hasn't exactly been setting the world ablaze. walker is all but gone, so it's unrealistic to include him in the plus category heading into 2006. take him out of the equation and there's a whole lotta question marks at wr. o-line, special teams, linebacker, fs, and wr (among other things) are areas of major concern.

and i'm not for minute suggesting other teams don't have the same issues or same concerns.

as for pick 5, my gut tells me ngata. him plus pickett would definitely upgrade a major weakness last year (rush defense).

I just include Walker in there because he was a good front office move and a great draft pick. There have been people at this site (I won't name names :banana: ) who seemed to think that not only have the Packers made the worst front office moves in the league over the past few years, but that they will be the worst team in the league this year.

I beg to differ.

I am and optimistic Packer fan, of course. I enjoy getting the players back from injury, some of the nice free agent signings, and the prospect of finally picking high. When most of the games you lose in a terrible season were close to very close, it gives you optimism. :banana:

2 things will help the rushing defense....KGB and the LBs having it beaten into their skull that they do not need to jump the inside run every time leaving the outside wide open. Up the middle was not the problem last season at all. Pickett may be a downgrade as far as stuffing the holes from Grady...but his youth and motor and lack of injuries make him a better overall DT.

Ngata? Why? They have huge depth and talent at DT. I repeat..up the middle was not the major weakness of this rushing defense.

Picket, Jenkins, Cole, Williams, Washington, McGill and they just signed a guy from New York for more depth (Allen).

if they go Ngata...that will certainly be a pick I would boo. DT is the last thing they need to draft early right now.

I shouldn't have used the term "many".

True...cases can be made for several...though it also hinges on Walker being healthy and actually suiting up...Im not holding my breath on either of those for this year which is why my mood has switched to wanting Davis over Hawk.

Holt/Bruce

Harrison/Wayne

CJ/Housh

Boldin/Fitz

I wouldn't include Holt/Bruce on that list unless you're talking about '99.....

joseph has been a name mentioned in the 2nd quite frequently in lion circles. and spencer (though i think high 2nd is too high for him).

Ive seen Joseph going in the first 5-6 picks of the 2nd...have seen Spencer falling to late 2nd even to the early 3rd.

I wouldn't include Holt/Bruce on that list unless you're talking about '99.....

I think they are very similar to Walker/Driver.

Bruce does the things that Driver does for the most part...though injuries have slowed him...and Id take Holt over Walker right now.

I just include Walker in there because he was a good front office move and a great draft pick. There have been people at this site (I won't name names :banana: ) who seemed to think that not only have the Packers made the worst front office moves in the league over the past few years, but that they will be the worst team in the league this year.

I beg to differ.

I am and optimistic Packer fan, of course. I enjoy getting the players back from injury, some of the nice free agent signings, and the prospect of finally picking high. When most of the games you lose in a terrible season were close to very close, it gives you optimism. :banana:

okay, i didn't understand you were making a claim about drafting (although many of those players you mention have nothing to do with tt). but your last statement is one of false hope: all bad teams lose LOTS of close games in a season. rarely do bad teams get blown out by double-digit points every week. the 2003 lions, for example, lost something like 7 games by 7 points or less (and they had several 3-point/1-pt/overtime losses last year). i think if you research, you'll find that it's quite common for the bottom teams in a given year to have lost many of their games by single-digit points.

Gushing? We are happy that he will be better than Carroll... (for the most part)

*we do not need him to be a team leader

*has never reached...not a bad thing...maybe he will

*thought to? we will see

*maybe

*10 mil is not really much anymore as far as upfront...the rest of the deal looks very good for the Packers...they took the risk this year when they have the money to do so. He is better than any rookie would be...and probably keeps Carroll and his penalties off the field more.

Any raider fan will not really tell you the same...they will try to throw out the injuries (and be statistically wrong about that).

Actually looks like a good contract for a risk/reward type player.

You keep telling yourself that while Woodson is here => :banana: for 7 games in 2006. Then you'll maybe realize that 10 million was a wee high for him. That is, if you don't already by how badly he gets burned while healthy.

As my Raider fan friends put it, there's nothing more frustrating than seeing CWoodson take a bad angle or miss a tackle and have it result in a TD. And it happened far too frequently - his guessing and desire to lay the big hit every time leads to his getting both burned & hurt. There's no "maybe"s at this point in his career - he is what he is.

And IMO, that's not worth $10mm