Sign in to follow this  
The Soilost

Vince Young: The NFL's next Andre Ware

Vince Young will be an NFL failure.

Sure, he looked all pretty during the Rose Bowl, but the few downfield passes he throws barely even stay in the stadium, and if he thinks he's going to attempt more than a dozen quarterback runs in the NFL, he's going to get pulverized.

No way does this guy find success.

I'd rather have Rodney Peete come out of retirement and play on my team.

I don't think he will succeed mainly because he will be pushed into starting too soon. He will not be allowed to properly develop and will never be able to take the next step.

I don't think he will succeed mainly because he will be pushed into starting too soon. He will not be allowed to properly develop and will never be able to take the next step.

He's quickly going to prove that Chris Simms is the best quarterback to ever come out of Texas and play in the NFL.

Volek has proven to be a great backup quarterback. He played very well when McNair was injured. Why wouldn't they let him start a season or two before throwing in Young?

Didn't Young throw for 250 plus and a couple TD's (including the game winner) against Ohio State? How many players from that Ohio State defense were selected in this years draft (not to mention underclassmen that will be drafted in future years)? I don't think Ware played that kind of defense and I know for a fact that Lienart hasn't.

I have never seen a guy with so many haters! If he had to play this season, yest I think he would struggle to pick up the NFL game but being that he is going to sit behind Volek this season (and most likely another vet, ie, K. Collins) he will have plenty of time to work on the stuff he needs to. He has a great arm, size, and athletic ability. Long term, I take him over Matt "the movie star"Lienart every time!

I have never seen a guy with so many haters! If he had to play this season, yest I think he would struggle to pick up the NFL game but being that he is going to sit behind Volek this season (and most likely another vet, ie, K. Collins) he will have plenty of time to work on the stuff he needs to. He has a great arm, size, and athletic ability. Long term, I take him over Matt "the movie star"Lienart every time!

Yea...Keep it real :thumbsdown:

don't drink the kool-aid

:banana:

Sure, he looked all pretty during the Rose Bowl, but the few downfield passes he throws barely even stay in the stadium, and if he thinks he's going to attempt more than a dozen quarterback runs in the NFL, he's going to get pulverized.

:banana: :banana: :thumbsdown: :banana: :banana:

Maybe they don't have Volek in their fantasy league?

Seriously, the Titans saw the national championship game and got the two MVPs (White would have been the MVP if USC won). Don't know why people keep trying to put Vince down, I can't think of anything else he have done to prove that he can win against anyone, either passing or running, and that he's better under pressure .

Will he have to survive some bumps sure (his situation is going to be much more like Peyton's than Big Ben's), but he seems to have the heart to do so.

Hey at least you got the balls to look stupid.

:lol:

:wacko:

His throwing motion will create turnovers and his run first attitude will get him killed. could he find success? yes but with the Titans coming out now and giving the ravens the okay to talk to Mcnair they are saying that he will start this year. He will not have the time to develop and he will not be any better then Vick if not worse then vick. Mark my words Arizona will get more out of Matt then the titans will out of Vince. Hell the Broncos will get more out of Cutler then the Titans will. This will set the franchise back a few years. All the ex-qbs in the league said Matt and Jay were better then Vince and since they played I would think they know a little something about the position.

Maybe they don't have Volek in their fantasy league?

Seriously, the Titans saw the national championship game and got the two MVPs (White would have been the MVP if USC won). Don't know why people keep trying to put Vince down, I can't think of anything else he have done to prove that he can win against anyone, either passing or running, and that he's better under pressure .

Will he have to survive some bumps sure (his situation is going to be much more like Peyton's than Big Ben's), but he seems to have the heart to do so.

I run him down because I'm confident he's going to suck. He'll be in the league for five years, tops and go the way of Cody Carlson.

I run him down because I'm confident he's going to suck. He'll be in the league for five years, tops and go the way of Cody Carlson.

I run you down because I'm confident that your ability to evaluate talent sucks.

Comparing him to anyone else is ridiculous. He has the talent to be the greatest rushing QB of all time.

Isn't a QB with poor/odd throwing mechanics who has a very solid completion percentage prefered over a QB with a poor completion percentage and excellent mechanics?? Isn't accuracy and getting the job done most important??

He needs to learn to throw off his back foot more when he is in the pocket. He needs to get his elbow up. These are both correctable. Both also are related to Vince feeling so comfortable in his running abilities. He uses his mobility and height to find throwing lanes very well.

A fantasy beast, not a bust.

How Dare You Bring Kerry Collins into this !!!

Vince's throwing motion is EXACTLY like Uncle Rico's.

How Dare You Bring Kerry Collins into this !!!

Vince's throwing motion is EXACTLY like Uncle Rico's.

Easy big fella, I think the man was just trying to point out that Collins could be his mentor on the deep ball, how to make a martini, when to drive at night and the likes.

Volek will do just fine this year, he has earned that respect from Fisher.

I might be wrong, but aren't you the guy that predicted Brandon Stokley's breakout year a couple of years ago? Just amazing the way you zero in on these things. :pointstosky:

Easy big fella, I think the man was just trying to point out that Collins could be his mentor on the deep ball, how to make a martini, when to drive at night and the likes.

Volek will do just fine this year, he has earned that respect from Fisher.

Remember folks...Collins can't mentor Young because Collins is a racist.

sorry but he is a bigger version of kordell stewart. :banana:

He won't even come remotely close to being as good as Stewart. My God, I can't believe I just said that.

To the people that say he plays in a "run first" mentality......

2005 - 212 completions, 325 pass attempts, 3036 yds passing, 65% percentage

26 TDs - 12 Ints.

155 rushing attempts - 1050 yds - 12 TDs

To me, this pretty much puts the "run-first" theory to bed.

People want to knock him for his throwing motion.....

Sorry, but he looks like he has the same throwing motion as Rich Gannon. He was pretty successful.

People want to knock him for his intelligence........

Looks like he made many good decisions on the field during the Championship season.

Facts are facts people. This guy led a team to 3 improbable comebacks this season. 2 of them were against very, very good teams. Ohio State, Oklahoma State, and USC. And I'm not even counting the Rose Bowl game against Michigan in which he led Texas from behind to win in dramatic fashion.

Never gets rattled. Whether it was down by 6 with less than a minute to go or down by 3 TDs going into half-time. Pressure does not get to him.

Work ethic. This guy busted his ass to improve his passing skills during the 2004-2005 off-season. And the hard work paid off with a 163 passer rating.

I remember a few years ago, there were alot of Ex-QBs that raved over Tim Couch.......... that really worked out well didn't it?

If McNair moves on (which in all probability he will) Volek will start atleast for the first part of this season, maybe all of it. Young will get a chance to play some (maybe) and will be the starter in 2007 for sure. His Offensive Coordinator is Norm Chow, who knows how to handle QBs.

Some of you guys see a QB that is destined to fail. I see a QB with all the makings of a fine career.

Only time will tell though.

Didn't Young throw for 250 plus and a couple TD's (including the game winner) against Ohio State?

Well than that's that....he's a sure Hall of Famer.

may i have another shiner?

I hate to say it but if this kid was white, everyone would be saying how much potential he has but because he is black, he gets lumped in with M. Vick and A. Ware.

Case in point, EVERYONE seems to love J. Cutler even though he only won 11 games in his entire college career. People marvel at his size and strong arm despite the fact he turned the ball over way more the Young ever did in college. People also love Matt Lienart despite the fact he has a below average arm by NFL standards and will struggle to throw the 15 yard out, deep ball, and in bad weather (Not every game will be in Arizona). Not to mention he played on a college all star team that had 11 players drafted this year! When has he EVER had to carry a team the way Young carried the Longhorns?

I'm not saying that Young is going to be a great player in the NFL, I just don't see how so many people are convinced that he is going to be a bust before he even attends his 1st mini camp. If he gets to spend at least 1 season on the sidelines learning the NFL game, I think he has a real chance to succeed......

Just my two cents!

26 TDs - 12 Ints.

Sorry, but he looks like he has the same throwing motion as Rich Gannon. He was pretty successful.

Looks like he made many good decisions on the field during the Championship season.

Facts are facts people. This guy led a team to 3 improbable comebacks this season. 2 of them were against very, very good teams. Ohio State, Oklahoma State, and USC. And I'm not even counting the Rose Bowl game against Michigan in which he led Texas from behind to win in dramatic fashion.

Never gets rattled. Whether it was down by 6 with less than a minute to go or down by 3 TDs going into half-time. Pressure does not get to him.

Work ethic. This guy busted his ass to improve his passing skills during the 2004-2005 off-season. And the hard work paid off with a 163 passer rating.

I remember a few years ago, there were alot of Ex-QBs that raved over Tim Couch.......... that really worked out well didn't it?

If McNair moves on (which in all probability he will) Volek will start atleast for the first part of this season, maybe all of it. Young will get a chance to play some (maybe) and will be the starter in 2007 for sure. His Offensive Coordinator is Norm Chow, who knows how to handle QBs.

Some of you guys see a QB that is destined to fail. I see a QB with all the makings of a fine career.

A few things I agree with.. some I don't.

I agree that his work ethic is excellent, that he is pressure tested, that his success was against some of the best teams (both Offensively and Defensively) in the last 10 years not named Miami.

Where I disagree...

His throwing motion is not like Gannon.. Gannon had a typical release, but when pressured or in traffic he would side-arm or 3/4 arm it. This was a product of the available lanes, not his natural throwing motion. Wonderlic scores aside, he appears to be football smart but that has been limited to what he has been asked to do in that Offense. The Texas offense was very simple, single read style where if the primary receiver was covered he was coached to ad-lib. That is a big difference between Texas and the NFL. In the NFL you are required to go 2, 3 and sometimes 4 checkdowns before making a play on your own. Where is intelligence comes into play is if he is quick enough to grasp the more intense and complex offensive schemes in the NFL. This, incidentally, is what made Gannon so successful.. his ability to check down until he found the open man. It took him a long time to develop that skill...that and his ability to read defenses so well. Young hasn't had to do that.

While not a Young hater like some of these others, I do think he has potential to become a stellar QB if he is brought along properly and has the ability to progress. That is the unknown since he hasn't had to do it before. IF he can learn to check down and do multiple reads he has the skills and ethic to succeed but so have a lot of other QB's. The ones who become successful have been able to adapt and learn, those that weren't were doomed to the dung heap of NFL history.

Jury is still out on Young, but I hope he does succeed because if he does, he is going to be exciting to watch.

I'll be honest, throughout his entire college career, I thought he would be great in the NFL... as a WR. I watch the Rose Bowl against Michigan and thought that this guy's got the height and speed to be a stud out there. I watched this past Rose Bowl when he's going head to head against the can't miss prospect for the past few years, and I realized he can play QB too. I was impressed enough to the point where I took him in my dynasty draft this morning at pick 1.06, before Matt Leinart. After watching Leinart play, I just wasn't that impressed anymore.

Also, Vince has Norm Chow teaching him which is never a bad thing.

Do I think he's going to be a pro bowl stud? Ehh, maybe. I do think he'll be very solid though and should put up some nice fantasy #s.

I hate to say it but if this kid was white, everyone would be saying how much potential he has but because he is black, he gets lumped in with M. Vick and A. Ware.

Case in point, EVERYONE seems to love J. Cutler even though he only won 11 games in his entire college career. People marvel at his size and strong arm despite the fact he turned the ball over way more the Young ever did in college. People also love Matt Lienart despite the fact he has a below average arm by NFL standards and will struggle to throw the 15 yard out, deep ball, and in bad weather (Not every game will be in Arizona). Not to mention he played on a college all star team that had 11 players drafted this year! When has he EVER had to carry a team the way Young carried the Longhorns?

I'm not saying that Young is going to be a great player in the NFL, I just don't see how so many people are convinced that he is going to be a bust before he even attends his 1st mini camp. If he gets to spend at least 1 season on the sidelines learning the NFL game, I think he has a real chance to succeed......

Just my two cents!

The stats have been rehashed, no need to bring them up over and over, use the search function. One thing I have seen is that you don't piss Vince off. Most of the haters are people who hate THE University of Texas :first: , most probaly stemming from an inferiority complex, which I can understand. But you also have a point on the race card. I believe that is one reason he is not a Houston Texan. He would be touted as the next Elway or Steve Young if he was white, I do agree. He does sorta look like Randall Cunningham but more athletic and stronger. He will make an impact this year. Anyone who says he is a run first QB or he plans on running the ball all the time or running over linebackers obviously don't know the kind of player Vince is. They are ignorant and talking like they know it all, the ugliest way you can be. One thing about Vince, he knows he has a lot to learn, and he will get it done.

Just my two cents!

Please..... his race has nothing to do with it at all, at least in the majority of cases. Texas loved him and is not the most progressive area of the country. The reason why people are so high on Cutler is his combination of skills, arm strength and ability to raise the bar around him. He didn't win like Young or Leinart, but he also didn't have the same quality of players around him. Not everyone is convinced Leinart is all that and a bag of chips, otherwise he would have gone earlier. Plenty of teams with QB needs passed on him.

Please..... his race has nothing to do with it at all, at least in the majority of cases. Texas loved him and is not the most progressive area of the country. The reason why people are so high on Cutler is his combination of skills, arm strength and ability to raise the bar around him. He didn't win like Young or Leinart, but he also didn't have the same quality of players around him. Not everyone is convinced Leinart is all that and a bag of chips, otherwise he would have gone earlier. Plenty of teams with QB needs passed on him.

Zero chance that Cutler is a top 20 pick if he was black....everyone would be saying "he's a great athlete but not a winner"

BTW, I am WHITE and don't have any sort of racial agenda to push, just stating what I believe are the facts.

26 TDs - 12 Ints.

I agree - I think he has all the makings of the next Warren Moon/Kenny Stabler type QB. He's tough, big, strong, athletic, and makes all the throws. And he's now got a great coaching staff to bring him along.

I think he'll be a solid NFL QB, and should be exciting to watch for years to come.

Zero chance that Cutler is a top 20 pick if he was black....everyone would be saying "he's a great athlete but not a winner"

BTW, I am WHITE and don't have any sort of racial agenda to push, just stating what I believe are the facts.

We can agree to disagree... history is rife with black qbs with mad skills without winning teams who have been highly touted.

We can agree to disagree... history is rife with black qbs with mad skills without winning teams who have been highly touted.

Name me one black QB that was 11-30 something in college (or had a losing record as a starter) and was then drafted in the top 15? The only black QBs drafted in the 1st round were guys who WON in college. Some turned out to be complete bust (Akli Smith) while some have had solid careers (McNabb, Culpepper). Sorry but I still think race plays a role in how a QB is viewed....same thing in reverse for white DBs, RBs, and WRs. How many white skill players fall in the draft because teams don't think they are athletic enough? The only white boy skill player given any props in recent years is the QB/WR Matt Jones.....

I agree that race should play no part in this, but don't kid your self and say that it doesn't play any part in it. Now I don't think race will play any part with the Titans and if they give him two years to change his throwing motion as well as learn the NFL game and not rely on the shotgun then that will be the best possible scenario for Mr. Young.

When you say that Young has the same throwing motion as Rich Gannon, that’s not an accurate analysis. Sometimes he throws sidearm but he almost always throws off of his back foot which adds the height needed to get over the defensive line. Vince Young throws off of his front foot as well as a non-orthodox semi-sidearm release. The combination of these two things makes him shorter then Doug Flutie. Both of these throwing errors are correctable but it will take a good two years to address these issues and return to his current skill in passing that he has with his current motion. If he has to play in one year then it is essential that he learns to throw off of his back foot before he plays. It’s the more important of the two errors. If Volek gets injured this year, which he is prone to, and the Owner or GM trump Fisher and start him, then yes the odds are greatly against him to succeed and his trek to being a top ten QB will be setback greatly.

We don’t know how smart the guy is, so I’m not going to even touch that topic. Only time will tell if his decision making is sufficient for the NFL. The only thing we know with a fair amount of certainty is that a QB with those two serious flaws in their throwing motion will more then likely not lead there team to a AFC title game appearance unless those issues are addressed and Young is given time to grow with his new style.

Just to clarify. I didn't mean to imply that Gannon's throwing motion was Exactly as Young's. I only meant to compare an awkward motion vs. another awkward motion. There are quite a few other QBs that have awkward throwing motions as well that adapt and overcome. (sometimes with minor changes to their style).

Chow will get this guy to start throwing off his back foot, like he should be.

26 TDs - 12 Ints.

Huh? How does a 2:1 pass/run ratio indicate that he doesn't have a run-first mentality? That would have made him the most run-oriented QB were it in the NFL last year. Mike Vick had 387 pass attempts and 102 rush attempts, a ratio of about 3.75:1 :(

His throwing motion is not like Gannon.. Gannon had a typical release, but when pressured or in traffic he would side-arm or 3/4 arm it. This was a product of the available lanes, not his natural throwing motion.

:lol: Gannon had excellent mechanics by the time he became a productive starter. He knew how to bring his release point down to throw around a guy when necessary, but when he wasn't intentionally doing that, his passes were technically sound.

Randall was drafted in the 2nd round with .500 record

If Young turns out as good as Cunningham he is no slouch. If he turns out to be Vick or worse then it was a wasted pick. We won't know for a few years which direction he goes.

The water looks refreshing so i'll jump in, too.

I like what Merrill said on one of the 17-or-so ESPN NFL shows. He indicated that the Texas offense only used the first read or so before letting Vince 'bail' on the play.

The good cover-corners are a tad more plentiful in the NFL so if this is remotely true Vince may want to hit the Charmin store before starting a game.

On the bright side, he didn't get drafted by the Lions, so that means his career isn't over quite yet.

On the bright side, he didn't get drafted by the Lions, so that means his career isn't over quite yet.

or the bears--so no blown knees, drunken frat parties, ratings in the 50s, or career tds being able to be added on one hand with fingers left over :bench:

yeah, a focking bear fan is going to give the lions shiat about qbs :first: