Sign in to follow this  
D_House

"Watch once, but not again"

Leaving Las Vegas was mentioned in a recent thread as a "Watch once, but not again" type of movie. This got me thinking, and I realized that a lot of the movies that I consider to be really great are ones that I wouldn't care to see again (as opposed to really sh!tty movies that I wish I'd never seen). Some examples:

Leaving Las Vegas - overall downer of a flick

Requiem for a Dream - another overall depressing movie (also, not great, but very good)

Million Dollar Baby - ugh

Saving Private Ryan - for the opening action sequence

Schindler's List - double ugh

The Exorcist - some really disturbing scenes with Linda Blair

American History X - the "curbjob" scene

Paradise Now - a recent viewing had me recommending it to friends, but when one of them asked if I wanted to watch it with her, I kind of felt silly saying no after talking it up.

Any other must-watch (once) films that I haven't listed?

Also, who buys DVDs of these movies? Masochists?

Leaving Las Vegas was mentioned in a recent thread as a "Watch once, but not again" type of movie. This got me thinking, and I realized that a lot of the movies that I consider to be really great are ones that I wouldn't care to see again (as opposed to really sh!tty movies that I wish I'd never seen). Some examples:

Leaving Las Vegas - overall downer of a flick

Requiem for a Dream - another overall depressing movie (also, not great, but very good)

Million Dollar Baby - ugh

Saving Private Ryan - for the opening action sequence

Schindler's List - double ugh

The Exorcist - some really disturbing scenes with Linda Blair

Paradise Now - a recent viewing had me recommending it to friends, but when one of them asked if I wanted to watch it with her, I kind of felt silly saying no after talking it up.

Any other must-watch (once) films that I haven't listed?

Also, who buys DVDs of these movies? Masochists?

Bite the curb!

A lot of people will probably disagree

but i'm going to go with "apocalypse now" maybe i didn't get into it because i'm not in the military, but i didn't think it was all that great. It was very disturbing, and there were some great images of war, but i just don't think i'd ever sit through it again.

another one i'd say would be vanilla sky

A lot of people will probably disagree

but i'm going to go with "apocalypse now" maybe i didn't get into it because i'm not in the military, but i didn't think it was all that great. It was very disturbing, and there were some great images of war, but i just don't think i'd ever sit through it again.

another one i'd say would be vanilla sky

I disagree, "Apocalypse Now" qualifies as "I wish I had never seen!"

Movies that are super-hardcore are ones I'd see once but never again.

I Spit on Your Grave

Irreversible

Requiem for a Dream

Cannibal Holocaust

American History X

Caligula

Salo: 100 Days of Sodom

Men Behind the Sun

etc. etc. No reason to ever see these movies again.

Movies that are super-hardcore are ones I'd see once but never again.

I Spit on Your Grave

Irreversible

Requiem for a Dream

Cannibal Holocaust

American History X

Caligula

Salo: 100 Days of Sodom

Men Behind the Sun

etc. etc. No reason to ever see these movies again.

I think the topis was good movies, not bad movies. You know, I liked them but I would never watch them again...not, if I ever saw the idiot who's idea it was to make this film I would shoot him in the face.

I remember in the early 90s AMISTAD came out and it was supposed to be one of those revolutionary (aka everyone sucks spielberg's d1ck) movies... but it was god awful for all the hype.

I've also decided that almost any movie with Tom Hanks in it is not worth watching twice...

you already said private ryan

but then

cast away

the terminal

green mile

apollo 13

I agree with Million Dollar Baby, that was a great movie, but, i just can't find myself to watch it again.

The Green Mile also, GREAT movie, but, i think that is too long.

The movies that you ususally watch many times over again tend to be comedies, and action movies, like say your typical Arnold/Stallone-type movies. Currently watching Predator on Spike :lol:

I think i have only watched SAving Private Ryan completely once, since pieces of it now and then when it comes on TV.

Err ... we actually bought this one. It's an outstanding movie about racism. However, I don't believe we've watched it in a very long time. You have to be in a certain mood for it.

really, any suspense/thriller (if you really think about it).

about the only type of movies i'll watch multiple times are good comedies. that's it.

What about movies that have a significant twist? Once you know what it is the movie is not the same:

No way out

6th Sense

Crying Game

I know there are a ton more

Err ... we actually bought this one. It's an outstanding movie about racism. However, I don't believe we've watched it in a very long time. You have to be in a certain mood for it.

I've watched American History X plenty of times. It's one of my all time favs. I can't believe the guy who played Seth slimmed down to play Earls' brother on "My Name Is Earl".

I totally agree on Requiem For A Dream though. Except maybe for the scenes where Jennifer Connelly sells her a$$ out for some drugs. "A$$ to A$$"

On the same note of twists that make a movie hard to watch twice (but were very good movies):

1. Seven

2. Saw (and Saw II but not as good)

3. Kiss the Girls

I could watch Saving Private Ryan over and over - just a solid piece of work.

I agree in that I thought it was an excellent movie, as were all the ones I listed. My point was that all of them had either really depressing overall themes or a scene or two that made me really uncomfortable and not eager to re-watch them.