Sign in to follow this  
bigbadbuff

PreCalculus...

Anyone taken college PreCalculus recently or know it really well and would be interested in giving me some help offline? I am taking 3 classes this summer to graduate and I SUCK BALLS at math- this is the first (and last thank God) math class I'll have taken in probably 5 years. We are doing the basics now since the class just started but I know I will get behind and end up getting a shitty grade unless I can get help.

Post an email addy if you wouldn't mind me hitting you up with the occassional question that you could show me the answer to... gracias

There are some good math software programs out there, very helpful

Hire a tutor, worth the money. Just make good use of their time and yours.

If there is a good teacher, even if you have to drive a long distance or hamper your schedule, take the better teacher. Taking a bad instructor, moreso for fitting your class schedule than anything, is a hard way to get through math.

PreCalculus is actually harder than Calculus in some ways. But all math pretty much derives from algebra and maybe 5 concepts in trig. If your algebra is bad you are screwed. My advice is while you are in a slow time in your class to work on securing your basics. If your math foundation is bad, you won't go anywhere.

Be a regular at your instructors office hours. Take the time to read ahead of time, participate in class and ask good questions. Don't go and look like you are trying to be retaught math. You have to do thaton your own. If your grade is ever on the line, from passing to failing, an instructor might pass you just for be active in the class. Don't kiss the instructors butt, but show them that you care, goes a long way in buying good will

I teach pre-calculus and AP calculus. Hit me with a PM or email if you ever need some help.

shick@footballguys.com

Anyone taken college PreCalculus recently or know it really well and would be interested in giving me some help offline? I am taking 3 classes this summer to graduate and I SUCK BALLS at math- this is the first (and last thank God) math class I'll have taken in probably 5 years. We are doing the basics now since the class just started but I know I will get behind and end up getting a shitty grade unless I can get help.

Post an email addy if you wouldn't mind me hitting you up with the occassional question that you could show me the answer to... gracias

I SUCK BALLS at math- this is the first (and last thank God)

:lol:

There are some good math software programs out there, very helpful

Hire a tutor, worth the money. Just make good use of their time and yours.

If there is a good teacher, even if you have to drive a long distance or hamper your schedule, take the better teacher. Taking a bad instructor, moreso for fitting your class schedule than anything, is a hard way to get through math.

PreCalculus is actually harder than Calculus in some ways. But all math pretty much derives from algebra and maybe 5 concepts in trig. If your algebra is bad you are screwed. My advice is while you are in a slow time in your class to work on securing your basics. If your math foundation is bad, you won't go anywhere.

Be a regular at your instructors office hours. Take the time to read ahead of time, participate in class and ask good questions. Don't go and look like you are trying to be retaught math. You have to do thaton your own. If your grade is ever on the line, from passing to failing, an instructor might pass you just for be active in the class. Don't kiss the instructors butt, but show them that you care, goes a long way in buying good will

Good advice in here. I agree that the calculus is not that rough, however the algebra involved can be a kick in the shorts. if you struggle with algebra basics you may be toast.

Test yourself on these basics...

1. Solve for x: .4x + 8 = 0

2. Solve for x: x^2 - 25 = 0

3. Solve for x: 2x^3 + 11x^2 + 15x=0

4. Graphically, do you understand what each of the following functions look like? Find x and y intercepts? vertex points?

y = .4x + 8

y = x^2 - 25

y = 2x^3 + 11x^2 + 15x=0

5. Knowing pythagorean theorem forewords and backwards is key for success in the trigonometry you'll encounter.

How long are the legs of a right isosceles triangle if the hypotenuse is 18 inches long?

There's obvously more than these few questions, but it should be a good start for you to gauge where you're at. Answers below in white.

1. x = -20

2. x = 5 or -5

3. x = 0, -3, or -2.5

4. The solutions to 1 through 3 are the x intercepts of the functions.

5. Each leg = 3 inches.

Good advice in here. I agree that the calculus is not that rough, however the algebra involved can be a kick in the shorts. if you struggle with algebra basics you may be toast.

Test yourself on these basics...

1. Solve for x: .4x + 8 = 0

2. Solve for x: x^2 - 25 = 0

3. Solve for x: 2x^3 + 11x^2 + 15x=0

4. Graphically, do you understand what each of the following functions look like? Find x and y intercepts? vertex points?

y = .4x + 8

y = x^2 - 25

y = 2x^3 + 11x^2 + 15x=0

5. Knowing pythagorean theorem forewords and backwards is key for success in the trigonometry you'll encounter.

How long are the legs of a right isosceles triangle if the hypotenuse is 18 inches long?

There's obvously more than these few questions, but it should be a good start for you to gauge where you're at. Answers below in white.

1. x = -20

2. x = 5 or -5

3. x = 0, -3, or -2.5

4. The solutions to 1 through 3 are the x intercepts of the functions.

5. Each leg = 3 inches.

:lol:

i've taken up to Calculus II, and i've experienced different methods of teaching. From what i took out of it calculus barely used a graphing calculator, but pre-calc on the other hand (coupled with Trig for me) seemed to be a lot about learning how to use your graphing calculator. I'd suggest paying close attention to the instructor when they show how to use the calculator.

I teach pre-calculus and AP calculus. Hit me with a PM or email if you ever need some help.

shick@footballguys.com

Suck my balls

As an English major, my graduation basically hinged on me passing Pre-Calc, because I kept falling behind and dropping math classes. I went to Calc first and actually found it harder.

Does your shool have a math lab at all? We had one that was staffed by math majors. I gotta tell you, that was the main reason I passed the class. It was an open lab that you could just drop in at any time. They were exteremely helpful. If that's not an option, I highly recommend a tutor.

I do not agree with the assessment that PreCalc is harder than Calc. I took all my algebra and precalc in HS and it was cake. I also took Calc in HS and all the Calc courses (1-4) in college. I can say without a doubt that Calc was much harder.

I do not agree with the assessment that PreCalc is harder than Calc.

I think the thing to focus on there is "in some ways". Very possible you're both correct here. The massive amount of trigonometry in a pre-calculus class is very tough for some folks. The reality there is you can get by just fine in calculus with far less trigonometry. Know the six ratios and how they are used in a right triangle. Know a few basic principles (sine squared + cosine squared =1). Etc. I've heard it debated well from both perspectives with regard to which is harder.

At least you're predictable. Really though. That all you got?

Don't you have a message bored to rule over? In fact, I think someone just said poop. Perhaps you should ban them for a year.

Don't you have a message bored to rule over? In fact, I think someone just said poop. Perhaps you should ban them for a year.

Only a year? I got banned for life for doing NOTHING.

I should have been a little more clear in my original post. This is an online class, so I can't meet with the instructor or tutors. He also won't let us use the class discussion board for assistance from other students :thumbsup: yet his hours for checking email from us regarding questions/help is very limited.

Here are some of the things we are learning now:

Real Numbers, Exponents, Add/Subtract Alg. Expressions, Multiplication Alg. Expressions

Factorization, Fractional Expression, Square/Root/Other Radicals

Rational Exponents, Solving Linear Equations, Solving Fractional Equations, Lines/Graphs of Linear Equations, Slope of a Line

Explicit and Implicit Forms of Straight Lines, Areas Bounded by Straight Lines, Functions/Function Notation, Systems of Linear Equations, Problem Solving with Linear Equations

My email addy is cbc123@wildmail.com for those who asked... please drop me a note if you wouldn't mind assisting.

I should have been a little more clear in my original post. This is an online class, so I can't meet with the instructor or tutors. He also won't let us use the class discussion board for assistance from other students :rolleyes: yet his hours for checking email from us regarding questions/help is very limited.

Here are some of the things we are learning now:

Real Numbers, Exponents, Add/Subtract Alg. Expressions, Multiplication Alg. Expressions

Factorization, Fractional Expression, Square/Root/Other Radicals

Rational Exponents, Solving Linear Equations, Solving Fractional Equations, Lines/Graphs of Linear Equations, Slope of a Line

Explicit and Implicit Forms of Straight Lines, Areas Bounded by Straight Lines, Functions/Function Notation, Systems of Linear Equations, Problem Solving with Linear Equations

My email addy is cbc123@wildmail.com for those who asked... please drop me a note if you wouldn't mind assisting.

I guarantee you will use almost none of this stuff in any career you choose.

I guarantee you will use almost none of this stuff in any career you choose.

No doubt true. But I find Mathematical theory fascinating. It's too bad I haven't used any high level stuff in 20 years or I'd offer to help :rolleyes:

y=mx+b

That's all you need

HTH

How did you manage to type that without using the word Nazi?

Dude wants some math help. I offered to help. You have a problem with that?

Never said I did. And just because you help a guy out doesn't make you any less of an ######

Probably because Mike has adopted rules similar to FBG and he's worried he'd get banned for using the word. He's thinking it though, I can assure you :unsure:

If you had asked me 15 years ago, I would have been able to help. Now, I can't help my 5 year old with math questions :unsure:

As far as never using this stuff ever again... Absolutely. You will never use it. Ever. However, troubleshooting and problem solving are critical in everyday life regardless of profession. Understand how to get the answer and you will be set for life.

Probably because Mike has adopted rules similar to FBG and he's worried he'd get banned for using the word. He's thinking it though, I can assure you :argue:

Huh. I wonder why Mike would do that.

Took college Calc 1, 2, Multivariable Calc, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, and God knows what else.

Don't remember any of it. But I remember the 3-way with my GF and her roommate in great detail. :argue:

Huh. I wonder why Mike would do that.

I'm not sure why considering it wasn't someone saying poop or stupid that got his site hacked.

Took college Calc 1, 2, Multivariable Calc, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, and God knows what else.

I took the same crap for engineering. Never used it for work and no longer remember any of it. All I remember is that my math professors were all oddballs.

I'm not sure why considering it wasn't someone saying poop or stupid that got his site hacked.

Or 'Tard LOL

As an English major, my graduation basically hinged on me passing Pre-Calc, because I kept falling behind and dropping math classes. I went to Calc first and actually found it harder.

Does your shool have a math lab at all? We had one that was staffed by math majors. I gotta tell you, that was the main reason I passed the class. It was an open lab that you could just drop in at any time. They were exteremely helpful. If that's not an option, I highly recommend a tutor.

Yeah, the people who are saying pre-calc is harder than calc are lunatics. Pre-calc is basically trig and algebra, subjects you've been exposed to in high school for two years at the very least. The calculus is brand spanking new applications of those tools.

Yeah, the people who are saying pre-calc is harder than calc are lunatics. Pre-calc is basically trig and algebra, subjects you've been exposed to in high school for two years at the very least. The calculus is brand spanking new applications of those tools.

Calc is the first time you're introduced to abstract logic and theory. My mind was swimming when I found out I could determine the area of something that didn't hold a simple shape like a square, as long as I had a function to define it. Then when you hit three dimensions, Woo Hoo!!

OK here are a few I need help with. If I'm not clear on any of them let me know... can anyone show me how to do these?

1a) Determine the equation of the straight line through the points (5, 4) and

(6, 9).

1b) What is the slope of any line perpendicular to that in part (a)? Explain.

2a) Sketch the graph of the equation 2y + 3x = 1.

2b) What is the slope of the line in part (a)?

3) Your company has purchased a $12,000 machine that has a useful life of 8 years. The salvage value of the machine at the end of 8 years is $2,000. (Hint: on the y-axis indicate the value and on the x-axis the years.) Write a linear equation that describes the book value of the machine each year. What is the book value of the machine at the end of year 4?

OK here are a few I need help with. If I'm not clear on any of them let me know... can anyone show me how to do these?

1a) Determine the equation of the straight line through the points (5, 4) and

(6, 9).

1b) What is the slope of any line perpendicular to that in part (a)? Explain.

x1 y1 x2 y2

(5,4) (6, 9)

y2-y1

-------

x2-x1

9-4

--------= 5/1 = 5 (this is your slope)

6-5

y=mx+b (see above)

y=5x+b

Take any 2 from above and plug them in

4=5(5)+b

4=25+b

-25 from each side = -21 = b

Solution 4=5(5)+-21

3) Your company has purchased a $12,000 machine that has a useful life of 8 years. The salvage value of the machine at the end of 8 years is $2,000. (Hint: on the y-axis indicate the value and on the x-axis the years.) Write a linear equation that describes the book value of the machine each year. What is the book value of the machine at the end of year 4?

This is Algebra!!!!!

Plus with the Accelerated depreciation of the Bush tax cut that helped save the economy he inherited from Clinton [a recession], it would be written off in the year aquired so the book value would be -0-.

HTH