Sign in to follow this  
Thin Spirit

iTunes Question...

So, from my post earlier this morning, I decided to go with iTunes anyways...

I have 30/40 CD's ripped onto my computer that were ripped into a WMA format and play on Windows Media Player.

That entire library 'converted' over to iTunes once I downloaded it, I'm assuming that converted into a new format because there is a fair chunk of free space missing on my C: drive now. Which is a bit of a piss off cause now I either have to delete the iTune library or the Media Player library as I'm not having two exact same libraries takign up space.

Also, I've downloaded 3 songs off iTunes and they have all downloaded as a .m4p format that will only play in iTunes and NOT in Media Player...but I want them to play in Media Player as that's where I run all my music through...is there anyway to convert files you download off of iTunes into a .wma or .mp3 format so that they will play on Media Player?

So what you're saying you tried to do the right thing and buy your music legally and they focked you over for doing so. :thumbsup:

the .m4p format is the default for iTunes.

open your iTunes and go to:

edit > preferences > Advanced

In the Advanced dialogue box there are 3 tabs: General, Importing, Burning

select Importing and set the "Import Using" box to MP3 encoder

once this is done, anything in your iTunes library can be converted to MP3 by right clicking the song and selecting "convert to MP3"

Also, you can select multiple songs and convert them all at once (so you don't have to right click and convert EVERY sont)

AlsoAlso, this will create 2 versions of each song, 1 m4p and one mp3... delete the m4ps if you'd like.

alsoalsoalso, FYI, in the Advanced dialogue box, select the Burning tab to configure iTunes to burn MP3's for you.

this may not be the iGeek way of doing it, but it's what I've figured out.

once this is done, anything in your iTunes library can be converted to MP3 by right clicking the song and selecting "convert to MP3"

Also, you can select multiple songs and convert them all at once (so you don't have to right click and convert EVERY sont)

AlsoAlso, this will create 2 versions of each song, 1 m4p and one mp3... delete the m4ps if you'd like.

alsoalsoalso, FYI, in the Advanced dialogue box, select the Burning tab to configure iTunes to burn MP3's for you.

:lol:

I'm not sure if that'll work with iTunes protected files.

I'm not sure if that'll work with iTunes protected files.

It doesn't.

:first:

So can m4p's be put on the same cd as an mp3 or a wma?! I'm computer stupid. :cheers:

Alternatively, give a big FU to the music industry until they start treating their customers like customers again instead of criminals.

This half-assed secure sandbox Apple has created is why I didn't get an iPod.

iRiver, baby! You want a song on there, you put it on there. No fockology.

It doesn't.

:wall:

So can m4p's be put on the same cd as an mp3 or a wma?! I'm computer stupid. :lol:

I'm not 100% what the situation here is, but I believe this will help. If you purchased music from ITunes, then burn it on a cd and then upload that onto your computer. Then you should be able to freely do what you please with it.

I'm not 100% what the situation here is, but I believe this will help. If you purchased music from ITunes, then burn it on a cd and then upload that onto your computer. Then you should be able to freely do what you please with it.

I don't think it does. I am pretty sure all music you download from iTunes comes embedded with a special coding that will only allow you to play it on your computer and like 4 or other 5 computers that are "authorized" for the username that originally purchased the song. If I am not mistaken the key is finding out how to remove that embedded data.

I have never purchased music from the iTunes store because of all the encryption and security they imbed into the files; if I pay for the focking song I want to do whatever the fock I want with it.

My first recommendation is to stop using the iTunes store to purchase music. It ain't even like you're buying the song, you're focking leasing/renting it.

The directions I posted above are for the 30 (or so) CDs that you've already "ripped" to your computer.

So can m4p's be put on the same cd as an mp3 or a wma?! I'm computer stupid. :banana:

If you want to listen to the music on a stereo/radio/etc that's "plays "mp3's"... NO.

Whatever stereo/radio you're using has no focking idea what to do with and m4p or wma, just like it has no focking idea what to do with a .jpg or .doc file.

So, to be technically accurate, SURE, you can burn a CD filled with all different file types (m4p, mp3, wma, jpg, doc, xls, etc) but you're stereo won't know what the fock to do with it.

The only way to convert songs purchased from iTunes is to dump them into Garageband (if you have an Apple, or maybe some other equivalent program if PC), and then re-import them into iTunes. That will convert the song into an mp3.

You can also edit out stupid intros/outros while you have the song in Garageband if you want.

HTH

ETA: there may be some other way to convert the songs, but the above is the only way I know

My first recommendation is to stop using the iTunes store to purchase music. It ain't even like you're buying the song, you're focking leasing/renting it.

Untrue. With iTunes, you pay 99 cents for it once, then own it forever. You're thinking of the other, subscription based music services.

Untrue. With iTunes, you pay 99 cents for it once, then own it forever. You're thinking of the other, subscription based music services.

true...to an extent.

you do own the file, but it is copy-restricted. you can only duplicate it (i believe) 3 times.

also the itunes download quality is the suck: 124 kbps is the standard and is sub-cd quality, which is 192 kbps.

I guess we differ on the meaning of "own" then.

you can't copy it to CD multiple times.

you can't put it on a friend's computer/player.

you buy a CD, you "own" it. You can do whatever you want with it whenever you want to... and you can do it with a friend too.

you can't copy it to CD multiple times.

Yes you can (7 times)

Yes you can

Yes you can.

There are 3rd party utilities that are out there that easily let you transfer songs from your iPod to another pc. The only catch is that any music purchased from iTunes can only reside on a certian number of pc's at the same time. iTunes has a page where you can authorize and de-authorize a computer for your music.

' date='Jun 21 2006, 10:25 AM' post='2481457']

true...to an extent.

you do own the file, but it is copy-restricted. you can only duplicate it (i believe) 3 times.

also the itunes download quality is the suck: 124 kbps is the standard and is sub-cd quality, which is 192 kbps.

192 isn't anywhere near CD quality, which just shows how piss poor the online sites quality is. But noone seems to care about quality of sound anymore, which I find amusing. We spent decades going from format to format and finally get one that's pretty darn close to perfect, and now people are settling for quality that's below formats from 30 years ago. Quite humorous.

Yes you can.

There are 3rd party utilities that are out there that easily let you transfer songs from your iPod to another pc. The only catch is that any music purchased from iTunes can only reside on a certian number of pc's at the same time. iTunes has a page where you can authorize and de-authorize a computer for your music.

So what happens in 10 years when Apple/Itunes is dead and you've got this worthless DRM encumbered music that won't work anymore because you're on windows 5000 and it doesn't support Itunes 2006? You're focked. CD and MP3 are the only way to go. Paying for DRM encumbered music or video is stupid and destroys your fair use rights.

Yes you can.

OK, my mistake.

but that's still a pain in the ass.

alsoalso, only burn 7 times is crappy too.

So what happens in 10 years when Apple/Itunes is dead and you've got this worthless DRM encumbered music that won't work anymore because you're on windows 5000 and it doesn't support Itunes 2006? You're focked. CD and MP3 are the only way to go. Paying for DRM encumbered music or video is stupid and destroys your fair use rights.

I'll worry about that in 10 years...when my yet-unborn 7 year old will be able to code a script to strip out all of the DRM for me.

192 isn't anywhere near CD quality

what is cd-quality?

and i agree with you wholeheartedly about the state of quality of sound. funny as hell.

' date='Jun 21 2006, 11:00 AM' post='2481565']

what is cd-quality?

and i agree with you wholeheartedly about the state of quality of sound. funny as hell.

Technically you'll never get true CD quality from most of the formats out there - most are what is called "lossy" compression, and you lose some data. The higher the bit rate the closer you get to CD quality though. I don't know off the top of my head what bitrate you'd need to approach CD quality but I know it's a lot higher than 192. I RIP all my CD's at 320k myself, and it sounds pretty good to me.

I've never had a problem burning iTunes songs. Maybe I've only burned them a few times and haven't reached my max.

Also, I have gotten around the protection of the files by burning them to a cd then loading them onto another. All the song information was lost, but I was able to play them without having to autorize them. I didn't think it would work but it did. I was even plugged into the net, I thought I would have to at least be unplugged.

Also, if you just use iTunes, you can have all your different file types (except WMA, but who needs them) and burn an MP3 cd or audio CD. Go iTunes full time and you won't regret it.

Go iTunes full time and you won't regret it.

don't get me wrong Frank... I'm a fan of iTunes and iPods; I think they're great.

It's the songs/music you purchase over iTunes that I don't like... they limit what/how/where you can use/listen to the song. That to me is a big focking pain in the ass; that's like buying a car that will only start 7 times unless you find the secret password on the internet that will let you start it more than 7 times. :mad: :thumbsup:

All of the music I have in my iTunes library is ripped from CDs. Most of those CDs were mine, but some were borrowed from family/friends.

The easiest thing to do is to buy the song from iTunes then download the MP3 from a P2P network.

Then you've got the "look at how moral I am, I'm actually buying music" thing going, without the hassle of the protected format.

The easiest thing to do is to buy the song from iTunes then download the MP3 from a P2P network.

Then you've got the "look at how moral I am, I'm actually buying music" thing going, without the hassle of the protected format.

I think this is perfectly valid compromise. However, it's technically still illegal. And considering the music industry has sued thousands of end users who may have done just that I'm not giving them any more money, through Itunes or through purchasing music. If I want music I'll find an indy band and buy it through cdbaby or something that bypasses the music industry.

don't get me wrong Frank... I'm a fan of iTunes and iPods; I think they're great.

It's the songs/music you purchase over iTunes that I don't like... they limit what/how/where you can use/listen to the song. That to me is a big focking pain in the ass; that's like buying a car that will only start 7 times unless you find the secret password on the internet that will let you start it more than 7 times. :banana: <_<

All of the music I have in my iTunes library is ripped from CDs. Most of those CDs were mine, but some were borrowed from family/friends.

No one likes it. I rarely buy stuff from there. I like the free downloads every tuesday and I split the Daily show pass with a bunch of people here at work so we can watch them in the afternoon.

Here's the place to make your online purchases. www.allofmp3.com

You can get full albums for less then two dollars. It works, there are no protections on you pruchases, and so far it seems legit (even though I'm sure it's not.).

Here's the place to make your online purchases. www.allofmp3.com

You can get full albums for less then two dollars. It works, there are no protections on you pruchases, and so far it seems legit (even though I'm sure it's not.).

It is exploiting a loophole in Russian copyright law. Like most legal matters in Russia these days, whether or not tis service is legal under Russian law is murky at best. It is my understanding that under US law thhe site is illegal. However, since it's a download service and not a P2P service that is open to anyone, it is not likely that the RIAA can get their hands on info regarding who has been using it.