Sign in to follow this  
Fizzelps

Major Kansas City Chiefs News

Ahh...fantasy football is in full gear now, lets start overthinking!!!!!!!!!! I have the thrid pick I think I will take DD or Mcgahee over LJ, because he clearly will only score 15 TDs now.

How about Lamont J? He lost Gallery and Porter does not want to report, does that make him a third round pick now?

a LT is a bit more important than a WR to a RB and Gallery has been a slight dissapointment since being drafted instead of being a cornerstone of the OL like Roaf has been for KC

nice try.....

to change gearsfrom LJ for a minute, what kind of domino effect will this have on the rest of the KC offense?

the starting OL now looks something like

LT - Jordan Black

LG - Brian Waters

C - Casey Weigman

RG - Will Shields

RT - ?

i cant even tell you who will fill in at RT now but Black isn't that great an OT to begin with so i can't see a great player at RT either

this means now that the strength lies in the OG position which no OL wants to have

Gonzalez is now going to have to pull double duties in the blocking game both for running and passing so that obviously hurts his stock

the OT's could get abused by any good DEs which will add pressure to Green and Johnson

since Richardson's departure that leaves out the flexibility of having him left in the backfield for pass protection and as well hurts in Johnson's lead blocking

Gonzalez i've touched upon and i will see him having less passes thrown his way but in turn that means more thrown to the WRs

Kennison will benefit there but a popular sleeper seems to be Samie Parker on the other side

what kind of increase should be seen here, and with the added pressure what kind of decrease could be expected from Green and the passing game in general?

the projections from here list Kennison at 1100-7 and Parker at 710-4

id put those up to 1300-9 and 900-7

Gonzalez is t 880-6 and i would take them down to 680-6 as i think he will still get a lot of usuage around the GL just not midfield leading to the same TDs but a drop in yardage

id adjust Green for a few more TDs and INTs both and expect more sacks and fumbles although they arent in projections, adding in a possibility to become injured although that isn't a big concern to begin with

anyone agree or disagree?

sugar coat that all you want but give ANY RB 36 carries against a poor D in a blowout and they will get 200+ yards

.... wow, i might drop LJ to 4 now

- You are full of crap and have been living in fantasy land too long. Please go ask any RB in the NFL how hard it is to get 200 yards in a game, even with 36 carries against the worst defense in the league. How many 200 yard games have been posted in the NFL? How many RB's have done it? How many haven't? I'll bet you're looking at maybe 1% of the RB's that have ever started a game in the NFL that have had 200 or more. Knock, knock. Come out of your FF mindset and join the real world please. :wacko:

- Please do drop LJ to 4....how about 5?.....how about 7? I'll take him there. :banana:

As a Chiefs fan it was hard news to hear. But, I am hoping that we won't see much change in production due to this. I know there will be some as Roaf was such a great player at his position.

Good news for Raider fans because that guy was a beast.

Allow me to spew forth the take I just heard on Sirius NFL radio on my way home. I can never remember these guy's names,Tim Ryan and Adam Schien maybe. After the reports about Roaf's retirement came in, these two (who are usually pretty solid in the opinion game) took a few calls and basically laughed the scenario off. They seem to think that Edwards' talk of running the ball and then running the ball some more have forced the vet's hand, i.e. Roaf doesn't need to spend a month doing nothing but blocking drills. The network guys seem to think that this is just a ploy by a savvy veteran to avoid a strenuous camp. They're of the mind that Roaf can simply change his mind a week before the season, and step in like he was never gone. A "retirement" scenario also frees the Chiefs' organization from the embarrassing move of having to fine Roaf $14,000 per missed day of camp. Ideally, everybody wins. Again, this isn't meant to be taken as my opinion (though I agree with it), it's simply representative of what I heard on the radio.

Allow me to spew forth the take I just heard on Sirius NFL radio on my way home. I can never remember these guy's names,Tim Ryan and Adam Schien maybe. After the reports about Roaf's retirement came in, these two (who are usually pretty solid in the opinion game) took a few calls and basically laughed the scenario off. They seem to think that Edwards' talk of running the ball and then running the ball some more have forced the vet's hand, i.e. Roaf doesn't need to spend a month doing nothing but blocking drills. The network guys seem to think that this is just a ploy by a savvy veteran to avoid a strenuous camp. They're of the mind that Roaf can simply change his mind a week before the season, and step in like he was never gone. A "retirement" scenario also frees the Chiefs' organization from the embarrassing move of having to fine Roaf $14,000 per missed day of camp. Ideally, everybody wins. Again, this isn't meant to be taken as my opinion (though I agree with it), it's simply representative of what I heard on the radio.

That is an intreating take on this. I would be ok with that senerio! :bandana:

I'm beginning to hear/read this theory a lot after the initial explosion this morning.

I believe John Welborn retired earlier this off-season. So that would make both starting Tackles, Welborn and Roaf. Also it is true that Turley dropped down to about 260 lbs to try and convert over to a TE, that is why the Rams lost interest in the guy. I had heard he was trying to put weight back up on and I thought he was originally in camp with Miami. Either way, replacing two starting Tackles and trying to replace a top 5 blocking back has got to be tough, particularly for Herm Edwards who I don't think anyone considers an offensive guru.

While on the subject of RB's effected by the loss of linemen, shouldn't SA be slightly downgraded due to the loss of Hutchinson. I know it was a Guard and not a Tackle, but Guards are critical to inside running and Hutchinson was the best Guard in the league last year.

Same question concerning whoever becomes the number RB in Cleveland with Bentley being lost for the year. And on the Bentley subject what about tapering the expectations for Reggie Bush and Duece McAllister as New Orleans lost their best offensive linemen.

I guess if you continue doing this exercise you can downgrade just about any RB. Drew Brees left San Deigo so Defenses can now key on LT, Edge is now playing behind one of the worst O-lines in the league . . .

So I guess I will just take a kicker with my first round pick :bandana: :lol:

Wow, that hurts. How's Black as a replacement?

I forget if it was WFAN or ESPN Radio but someone said that if there's anybody that can slow down the Kansas City offense, it's Herm Edwards. :pointstosky:

Good luck Chief fans and LJ owners!

remember this name, will svitek

Was a DE and before that a TE in College. Went to Stanford so you know he's pretty smart. Is he considered a legit prospect?

Was a DE and before that a TE in College. Went to Stanford so you know he's pretty smart. Is he considered a legit prospect?

he did very well last year in NFLE, but you won't hear much about him as the Chiefs won't want to overhype the guy

Can someone explain to me how LJ after 9 games last year and not even a full season starter has jumped guys like Tiki Barber and Shaun Alexander in the top 1-2 in RB?

That's right, I forgot about him. Tim Grunhard (old Chiefs O-Lineman) was raving about the guy on his radio show. I guess Grunny coached him over in NFl Europe, and I think he actually made the comment that John Welborn couldn't hold Will Svitek's jock.

Trent Green was lucky to survive last year when Jordan Black played LT. If Big Willie stays retired Green may not last the first half of the season.

LJ will still get LOTS of touches just to protect Green!!

Add Roaf to the list of key losses for the Chiefs offense.

1) Al Saunders "The Brain"

2) Tony Richardson "The Snow Plow"

3) Willie Roaf "The BIG Tackle"

4) John Welbourn "The Other Tackle"

With the loss of 2 key offensive lineman, the best fullback in the league and the best OC in the league, is it such a stretch to say that LJ could be a bust this year? And, before slamming that comment, by "bust" I mean not worth the top-3 pick. Also, I didn't list Vermeil's departure (or, rather, Dungy's arrival) because I don't see that as a huge factor. Though, with all the changes, it further complicates maintaining consistency with last season.

If we all agree that football is the ultimate team sport, can anyone explain to me why LJ should keep his top-3 status after losing so much of what makes KC's offense (especially their running game) click?

Can someone explain to me how LJ after 9 games last year and not even a full season starter has jumped guys like Tiki Barber and Shaun Alexander in the top 1-2 in RB?

It might have something to do with the fact that, although he started 7 fewer games, he outscored Barber. :rolleyes:

Gonzo may be the one who's numbers suffer... ain't no points for blocking in my league.

BINGO.

so they lost two starting tackles, the o-cordinator, the head coach and a really good blocking fullback from last year? Am I thinking that right? Maybe L.J. isn't as much of lock as were thinking.

Can't say it any better than this right here. :lol:

Losing both Starting tackles and his All-Pro blocking Fullback coupled along with his offensive coordinator and a new head coach... Will Shields has been contimplating calling it quits as well and Trent Green is what 36 years old ? Green struggled BADLY when Roaf wasn't in there and if he gets hurt.... whew.... I mean people are kidding themselves if they're not worried a little here whether you're talking this season for a redraft league, Dynasty League, whatever.... you have to be concerned :P

Gonzo may be the one who's numbers suffer... ain't no points for blocking in my league.

True. But isn't his LJ's fate closely connected to Gonzo's? Without Tony out there catching passes, isn't the KC offense a little one dimensional?

True. But isn't his LJ's fate closely connected to Gonzo's? Without Tony out there catching passes, isn't the KC offense a little one dimensional?

I doubt KC's offense will be one dimensional. Trent Green has averaged 4215 yards and 23 TDs over the last three years, I doubt that's going to all go to hell if Gonzo blocks a little more. Unless the new HC/OC are vastly inferior to the old ones, which is possible.

if you pass on LJ you will regreat it all year long :lol: the dude is a complete stud. frankly i think it will make him play harder and prove to all u doubters he is the best in the league

frankly i think it will make him play harder and prove to all u doubters he is the best in the league

:D I hope you have a designated driver tonight!

LT losing drew brees is still worse than LJ losing Roaf and Richardson

1.SA 2.LJ 3. LT

not to mention Tony G...

as well as Tony Richardson....with hutch and company, Chester will have better numbers than LJ this year...you heard it from me first... :D

Add Roaf to the list of key losses for the Chiefs offense.

1) Al Saunders "The Brain"

2) Tony Richardson "The Snow Plow"

3) Willie Roaf "The BIG Tackle"

4) John Welbourn "The Other Tackle"

With the loss of 2 key offensive lineman, the best fullback in the league and the best OC in the league, is it such a stretch to say that LJ could be a bust this year? And, before slamming that comment, by "bust" I mean not worth the top-3 pick. Also, I didn't list Vermeil's departure (or, rather, Dungy's arrival) because I don't see that as a huge factor. Though, with all the changes, it further complicates maintaining consistency with last season.

If we all agree that football is the ultimate team sport, can anyone explain to me why LJ should keep his top-3 status after losing so much of what makes KC's offense (especially their running game) click?

Totally a stretch to drop him from the top 3. By the numbers

1) Saunders was known to be gone. His replacement has been in place all spring. What can be done has been done. Actually Saundres probably effected the perimeter more tha LJ. With the more conservative playcalling, expect the blocking assignments to be more straightforward as well. Last year they were geared for a mix of Priest and LJ. This year, its LJ or fold.

2) Richardson is NOT a blow. His effectiveness was much diminished since three years ago. Look for more 2 TE sets, with only LJ in the backfield. Dunn is a GREAT run blocker. They might actually get a 5 th DB if there bring in the extra TE, which will help the running game.

3) Roaf. A blow, no doubt about it. However, he is not irreplaceable. Its not so much that someone will step in and do his job, but that someone will get the pass blocking assignments--my guess is Turley--and a lot of the run blocking will be distributed amoung the rest of the line by play calling. LJ is well suited to run inside the tackles, and the middle is intact.

4) Welbourne. I had expected improvement in this spot, because Turley would likely have been here. As it is, that may happen, and the run dominance may shift to the right, which would take advantage of Turley, and also Waters' mobility. Black is adiquate in pass blocking, but far short of Roaf as a run blocker.

5) Green is still just as good at play action, and the deep throwing game will be a bigger part of the scheme. That wont hurt.

When you lose a great player, no one player steps up. Rather you divide the responsibilities among several people. This is a cohesive and veteran unit. It will take a hit, but not as big as many seem to think. The other factor is LJ himself. His great asset as a RB is his ability to wait for the hole. That has not changed. Tiki has done very well with comparitive garbage at O-line, because he can recognize a crease and hit it at speed.

Also bear in mind that Shawn Alexander lost a comparable offensive lineman in Hutchinson.

J

Totally a stretch to drop him from the top 3. By the numbers

1) Saunders was known to be gone. His replacement has been in place all spring. What can be done has been done. Actually Saundres probably effected the perimeter more tha LJ. With the more conservative playcalling, expect the blocking assignments to be more straightforward as well. Last year they were geared for a mix of Priest and LJ. This year, its LJ or fold.

2) Richardson is NOT a blow. His effectiveness was much diminished since three years ago. Look for more 2 TE sets, with only LJ in the backfield. Dunn is a GREAT run blocker. They might actually get a 5 th DB if there bring in the extra TE, which will help the running game.

3) Roaf. A blow, no doubt about it. However, he is not irreplaceable. Its not so much that someone will step in and do his job, but that someone will get the pass blocking assignments--my guess is Turley--and a lot of the run blocking will be distributed amoung the rest of the line by play calling. LJ is well suited to run inside the tackles, and the middle is intact.

4) Welbourne. I had expected improvement in this spot, because Turley would likely have been here. As it is, that may happen, and the run dominance may shift to the right, which would take advantage of Turley, and also Waters' mobility. Black is adiquate in pass blocking, but far short of Roaf as a run blocker.

5) Green is still just as good at play action, and the deep throwing game will be a bigger part of the scheme. That wont hurt.

When you lose a great player, no one player steps up. Rather you divide the responsibilities among several people. This is a cohesive and veteran unit. It will take a hit, but not as big as many seem to think. The other factor is LJ himself. His great asset as a RB is his ability to wait for the hole. That has not changed. Tiki has done very well with comparitive garbage at O-line, because he can recognize a crease and hit it at speed.

Also bear in mind that Shawn Alexander lost a comparable offensive lineman in Hutchinson.

J

1) Just because KC anticipated Saunders' departure (and Vermeil's) doesn't mean that they won't be missed. It's not about conservative vs aggressive, it's about making good play calls situationally, and preparing your players to play. That's what Saunders and Vermeil were so good at, respectively.

2) It's not a blow? Why was he starting last year, then? Even if you have 2 TEs who are good blockers, a lot of times it's less effective than having a fullback.

3) no comment

4) I don't think the Chiefs will get improvement over Welbourne

5) no one suggested that Green was going to lose his play action skills. But, if they do throw deep more, it definitely could hurt LJ. Deep balls are low percentage and not conducive to the running game. Sure, throwing deep can help keep defenses honest, but if the rushing ship is going to continue sailing as smoothly as you think, people are going to respect LJ no matter how much they look deep. But let's face it, KC is going to continue to run a high-percentage passing game. The more effective they are at that, the more it will help LJ. But I honestly don't see anything that's happened for the Chiefs this offseason that is going to help their passing game or their running game.

the key word is 'a'

SA didnt loose two and still has a great blocking FB in front of him

not to mention that Hutch was replaced, of course not to the same level but they moved Womack to his natural position at LG and signed a RT to replace Womack

the Chiefs still have yet to sign an OT to replace Welbourne let alone try and replace Roaf now

Black is not the answer i will tell you, he was horrid last year

Svitek, can't say i have seen a lot of him but let me say this, the Jets brass was raving about Adrian Jones and him starting at RT last year - he sucked so i wouldn't put absolute faith in him, especially basing it off of NFLE experience

how many guys come out of NFLE and make a big splash?

- You are full of crap and have been living in fantasy land too long. Please go ask any RB in the NFL how hard it is to get 200 yards in a game, even with 36 carries against the worst defense in the league. How many 200 yard games have been posted in the NFL? How many RB's have done it? How many haven't? I'll bet you're looking at maybe 1% of the RB's that have ever started a game in the NFL that have had 200 or more. Knock, knock. Come out of your FF mindset and join the real world please.

- Please do drop LJ to 4....how about 5?.....how about 7? I'll take him there.

i love homers....

i have had reservations about LJ all off-season, losing Welbourne was a blow, losing Richardson was a blow, losing Saunders was a blow, losing Roaf was a blow

as i have said above, what are we going on here to think that the OL there will be effective at giving him lanes now?

OT is the most pivotal position and they just lost both of their starters and are plugging in guys that have little experience or didn't perform well with the chances they got

this offense is OLD

age alone is bringing the whole offense down and now they keep losing the best players they have.....

im not dreaming here

SA has always looked better but now LT jumps him as well, still iffy on Portis but its now an a/b situation in my mind

wow - this is a huge blow to KC.

someone said no difference for LJ? I see it as a huge difference.

And this also knocks down TGonz stock <_< without Roaf, TG will be blocking a lot more.

Arrrgh.

Don't they have any other TEs that can block? I actually think I read that they were converting Turley to a blocking TE. It would make no sense to keep their best reciever in to block, although he is a great blocker as well. Go out and get a blocking TE like Mark Bruener and run two TE sets.

Don't they have any other TEs that can block? I actually think I read that they were converting Turley to a blocking TE. It would make no sense to keep their best reciever in to block, although he is a great blocker as well. Go out and get a blocking TE like Mark Bruener and run two TE sets.

Dunn is a superior blocking TE, but no receiver. Kris Wilson is the intersting one. He is a good enough receiver that defenses will likely use a nickle package with him in on a single back setting.

J

1) Just because KC anticipated Saunders' departure (and Vermeil's) doesn't mean that they won't be missed. It's not about conservative vs aggressive, it's about making good play calls situationally, and preparing your players to play. That's what Saunders and Vermeil were so good at, respectively.

2) It's not a blow? Why was he starting last year, then? Even if you have 2 TEs who are good blockers, a lot of times it's less effective than having a fullback.

3) no comment

4) I don't think the Chiefs will get improvement over Welbourne

5) no one suggested that Green was going to lose his play action skills. But, if they do throw deep more, it definitely could hurt LJ. Deep balls are low percentage and not conducive to the running game. Sure, throwing deep can help keep defenses honest, but if the rushing ship is going to continue sailing as smoothly as you think, people are going to respect LJ no matter how much they look deep. But let's face it, KC is going to continue to run a high-percentage passing game. The more effective they are at that, the more it will help LJ. But I honestly don't see anything that's happened for the Chiefs this offseason that is going to help their passing game or their running game.

All I was saying is that things change and adjustments have to be made. That's always true, and these adjustments are not being made on the fly. Tony Richardson has been, but is no longer a superior blocking back. Age caught up with him, which is why they let him go. His level of play is replaceable. Turley at RT would be an improvement at RT. Simple as that. RT was the weak spot last season, when Roaf was playing. Roaf is a loss, but not Welborne, who was just not that good.

One thing that makes NO sense is why you think a vertical passing game does not help the running game. History has shown that it does exactly that. The problem is keeping the yards per attempt up in the passing game, not with the running game.

J

My take:

As for the new coaching staff, I wouldn't be too worried. Mike Solari has been the O-Line coach for what, 6 years or so? He knows the offense. Trent Green knows the offense. Tony Gonzalez knows the offense. Casey Weigmann, Bryan Waters, Will Shields know the offense. They are going to try and change as little as possible. Now obviously there will be different people calling the plays in, but I wouldn't write it off as a downgrade just because of some personnel changes.

Also with the coaching staff, I've heard Solari has told Gonzo to let him know what plays he thinks would work the best with his skills, and he will try and get those in the game. I also see them trying to find Gonzo more in the redzone, so I don't think his numbers will go down, if anything I see him snagging a few morte TDs this season.

The reason he was held back to block more last season was quite simply that our tackles weren't getting the job done. If anything, Jordan Black has had a year of experience playing some at the LT position, and best case scenario is that Will Svitek plays well enough in preseason or after the first few games to leave Jordan Black fighting for the starting RT position with Kevin Sampson and Kyle Turley. There is some competition there boys for the starting tackle jobs, so that's a good thing. And don't discount the fact that the Chiefs have the best interior line in the league with Waters, Weigmann and Shields. I'd also contend we have the best blocking TEs in the league in Gonzo and Dunn. And like j said, we'll probably see more 2 TE sets to utilize Dunn on the outside to help the tackles. Dunn is an outstanding run blocker, and they'll also use motion at times to get him in the backfield to block.

As for the FB position, it isn't just Ronnie Cruz's job to be had. Our 2nd round pick from 2 years ago, Kris Wilson played FB in college and the Chiefs might have drafted this guy thinking he could be the replacement once T-Rich is gone. He's going to see time in the preseason playing the position, and hopefully he plays it well. I also think Ronnie Cruz will be a decent FB, he's just never had a chance as T-Rich has been a rock.

But th3e main point in all of this, is that the defense just simply has to win games for us. There's no reason to panic cause Roaf is calling it quits. Dammit, you went out and addressed positiona of weakness on the defensive side of the ball, and it's time for the defense as a unit to step up and do their part to help the Chiefs find their way into the playoffs.

Alexander lost Hucthinson, don't forget that.

an OG that got replaced....

thats different than 2 starting OTs who haven't been replaced and his lead blocker

an OG that got replaced....

thats different than 2 starting OTs who haven't been replaced and his lead blocker

It would be different still if the RT and lead blocker were not replaceable out of the talent pool. However, they are. Roaf and Hutchinson are very comparable. In Seattle, expect the stories to be how hey moved together to replace Hutch, but that Jones is not having as good a season.

Both team's O-line will drop a notch or three overall, but not into freefall.

J

3 games last year when Roaf was out and LJ was the starter....

Game 9- LJ 27 carries for 132 yards.

Game 10-LJ 36 carries for 211 yards and 2 TD's.

Game 11- LJ 31 carries for 119 yards and 1 TD.

Jordan Black was taking Roaf's place in those games. Seems he did quite well.

This Roaf retirement could cause such a tremor that by late August, LJ will be a value pick toward the middle to late 1st in redrafts. :doh:

Thank you for pointing this out, no worries then or now. I will never doubt LJ, those games without Roaf and the string of facing top notch run defenses were suppose to slow him down, if anything it just made him more dominate.

i'm listing kennison as the #1 passing option now, tony g and samie close at #2.

is that a fair assumption?

tony g had 10 more catches last year but kennsion had three more TDs.

I'm in a WR/TE league so i look at passing options and not positions.