Sign in to follow this  
MLCKAA

I have these wasps in my yard

Apparently they are harmless, but gawd they look frightful!

So far I have about 6 of these burrows, but the exterminator i talked with earlier said it will just get worse and worse every year if I don't do something about it. He even said there may not be anything I can do to keep them from coming back if they get rid of them this year.

Anyone else have or ever had these suckers?

Speaking from a purely personal perspective, I'd rather have wasps in my yard than some swarthy immigrant types or shiftless negroes.

Apparently they are harmless, but gawd they look frightful!

So far I have about 6 of these burrows, but the exterminator i talked with earlier said it will just get worse and worse every year if I don't do something about it. He even said there may not be anything I can do to keep them from coming back if they get rid of them this year.

Anyone else have or ever had these suckers?

yea, I have them too. The focked up part about them is they are also making holes in my house siding. :huh:

Speaking from a purely personal perspective, I'd rather have wasps in my yard than some swarthy immigrant types or shiftless negroes.

:mad: reported :mad:

My neighbor has a big bunch of them swarming over her bushes. The exterminator told her that he could get rid of them, but they're locust killers and the locusts would then eat all her plants. She decided to let them stay. You're right - they're harmless, but man they look mean.

My late grandfather had these (and others) in his yard by the dozens. Used to sit with him on his porch swing and check out the cicadas and other bugs they would drag back to their nests. They would bring back critters way bigger than themselves....... :blink:

Be glad wasps aren't the size of dogs.... :doublethumbsup:

They ARE NOT harmless.

They'll focking sting your ass into tomorrow.

I know someone who was outside, and one of those focker came down out of nowhere, stung her in the forehead and put her in a coma in the hospital.

You have to get a special powder to inject into their holes to kill them.

They are focking mean and potentially fatal. Get rid of them now..

I know someone who was outside, and one of those focker came down out of nowhere, stung her in the forehead and put her in a coma in the hospital.

:blink: ... :cry: ... :o holy sh!t

They ARE NOT harmless.

Every source of academic information I have found on the net says you don't know what you are talking about. They are commonly misidentified. The beasts in my yard are cicada killer wasps, which are harmless. When stalking them yesterday afternoon, they appeared to be afraid of me and took off running like a hubcap thief any time I got near. I think your friend was vicitim of some other large flying thing.

Every source of academic information I have found on the net says you don't know what you are talking about.

Moon Landing.

The old condo I live in has a box built into the wall in the back of the house I think they used to use for milk deliveries or something. It was sealed from the inside a long time ago. But the door on the outside doesn't shut tight and sure enough a couple weeks ago I spotted a small nest in there (about the size of my hand).

I took a shovel and leaned it up against the door, hoping nothing could get in or out. But a couple days ago I noticed that wasps were still sneaking through the cracks. :banana:

So, I took electrical tape and taped the whole focker shut. Since then, I've noticed a couple angry wasps trying to get back in, with no success.

Gawd, I hope I'm not creating a disaster by pinning those things in there.

Hit the nest with a rake, the stings that follow probably will itch a little bit, but wont hurt too much! :banana:

cicada killer wasps, which are harmless.

Maybe they ought to think of renaming them to something that sounds, I don't know, a little less threatening? :banana:

Every source of academic information I have found on the net says you don't know what you are talking about. They are commonly misidentified. The beasts in my yard are cicada killer wasps, which are harmless. When stalking them yesterday afternoon, they appeared to be afraid of me and took off running like a hubcap thief any time I got near. I think your friend was vicitim of some other large flying thing.

You may want to check your facts.

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/entfacts/misc/ef004.htm

In spite of their large size, the wasps usually ignore people but they can give a painful sting if bothered. Mating males are aggressive and more easily disturbed.

ya i have no idea who told you they are nothihng to worry about, but i was personall stung by about 40 wasps when i was a kid, and they arent like bees (who lose their stinger) they will continually sting you...

Stings

All female stinging wasps can defend themselves and their nests by using their ovipositor to inject venom. Males do not have a stinger. No species will attack a human except in defense. If the colonies of some yellow-jacket and hornet species are disturbed, they may respond by releasing more than 100 defending wasps, each capable of delivering several stings. The nests of these species should be left alone or removed professionally if they are considered a nuisance. Wasp venom contains factors that release histamine, which dissolves red blood cells. Most people can survive many stings, responding with only temporary pain and swelling, but to hyperallergic individuals-about 1 percent of the population-a wasp sting can be fatal.

look out

ps fire the guy who told you not to worry...unless they are in fact not wasps....

Damn whities, GET OUT OF HIS YARD!! :thumbsup:

ya i have no idea who told you they are nothihng to worry about, but i was personall stung by about 40 wasps when i was a kid, and they arent like bees (who lose their stinger) they will continually sting you...

Stings

All female stinging wasps can defend themselves and their nests by using their ovipositor to inject venom. Males do not have a stinger. No species will attack a human except in defense. If the colonies of some yellow-jacket and hornet species are disturbed, they may respond by releasing more than 100 defending wasps, each capable of delivering several stings. The nests of these species should be left alone or removed professionally if they are considered a nuisance. Wasp venom contains factors that release histamine, which dissolves red blood cells. Most people can survive many stings, responding with only temporary pain and swelling, but to hyperallergic individuals-about 1 percent of the population-a wasp sting can be fatal.

look out

ps fire the guy who told you not to worry...unless they are in fact not wasps....

I'm pretty sure its a different species of wasps.

"The female wasp shown on the right tired while flying back to her burrow with a paralyzed cicada and had landed short of her goal. Still carrying her cicada, she accepted the offer of a "lift" from my hand, crawled up my arm, took off and flew the final 10 feet to her burrow."

"I have caught, tagged and released over 1000 cicada-killers, and never has one tried to land on me and sting."

"I believe that you are in more danger from pesticides applied to your lawn to kill cicada-killers than from the wasps."

"Female cicada killers can sting, but seldom do. After working closely with them since 1991, I have never been stung in the field."

"I had to grab one and hold it to my arm to be stung. It felt like the tiniest pin ######. "

Vicious!

"The female wasp shown on the right tired while flying back to her burrow with a paralyzed cicada and had landed short of her goal. Still carrying her cicada, she accepted the offer of a "lift" from my hand, crawled up my arm, took off and flew the final 10 feet to her burrow."

"I have caught, tagged and released over 1000 cicada-killers, and never has one tried to land on me and sting."

"I believe that you are in more danger from pesticides applied to your lawn to kill cicada-killers than from the wasps."

"Female cicada killers can sting, but seldom do. After working closely with them since 1991, I have never been stung in the field."

"I had to grab one and hold it to my arm to be stung. It felt like the tiniest pin ######. "

Vicious!

Check the other links. You picked the one nutjob that makes love to the things. I don't give a flying fock what you do, but to say that they are harmless when you talk about a wasp of any kind is risky.

Hell yeah they'll sting you. I was out doing yard work 2 weeks ago and got tagged 3 times. I waged war on those little bastards and took all of them out. They just came back and there are more than ever now. Don't beleive they are harmless, their sting is a bit painful and will put a welt on you that lasts a week.

I have about 8 or so burrowed holes in my yard! :thumbsdown:

I've been using Sevin-5 Dust early in the morning on all of the holes in my yard, but as of yesterday there were still 3 of them flying around.

I just want them the hell out of my yard. They may, in fact, be harmless. But any 1.5 inch bug flying at me or my kid is scary!

Access to reliable academic sources in Indiana being what they are ...

:thumbsdown:

The sting is far worse than a honeybee, according to my sources, but go on and pet one.

I have about 8 or so burrowed holes in my yard! :thumbsdown:

I've been using Sevin-5 Dust early in the morning on all of the holes in my yard, but as of yesterday there were still 3 of them flying around.

I just want them the hell out of my yard. They may, in fact, be harmless. But any 1.5 inch bug flying at me or my kid is scary!

poor gas and ignite!!!

They ARE NOT harmless.

New album name, "Cicada Killer". :thumbsdown:

poor gas and ignite!!!

I did this once with a bunch of those red wasps.

I was closing a garage door at my parents' house and didn't see the fockers and their big nest right above.

So when the door closed, they got all mad and came after me. Suddenly, I've got three wasps on me and stinging the crap out of me.

I went and got a stick, soaked it in lighter fluid, set it on fire and jammed it right into their nest.

Flaming wasps were going everywhere.

It probably wasn't the wisest means of wasp eradication, but it was mighty satisfying.

More than 20 years later, the burn mark above the door is still visible.

:wub:

I can't get Stryper out of my yard.

:lol:

Maybe they ought to think of renaming them to something that sounds, I don't know, a little less threatening? :D

I thought the same thing.

Cicada-killer wasps <> Cicada killer-wasps

Access to reliable academic sources in Indiana being what they are ...

:cry:

The sting is far worse than a honeybee, according to my sources, but go on and pet one.

We can only get notable academic info via the net. Otherwise, we're adrift at intellectual sea.

I have about 8 or so burrowed holes in my yard! :cry:

I've just been whacking them with a fly-swatter and then stomping the crap out of 'em. Maybe the centrail Indiana variety is more tame?