Sign in to follow this  
jvizzini

Ben Watson?

Guest Davaco

there is a huge pic of him on the side of the milk carton in my fridge

:ninja:

I rode the wagon too and in one of my money leagues unfortunately :ninja: Its still early in the season, hopefully his numbers improve!!

He was hyped alot this offseason, but you also have to realize he's a TE. Except for Gates freakish year last year and Gunz havin a few good season a few years ago its not a huge position. Also, New England has Daniel Graham eatin up catches and yards. TE to me are like Kickers and Defenses...They aren't as important as a halfback or a Qb but once every two or three weeks they are the reason you can potentially win that week...(assuming your in a head-to-head) league.

I would look to see which tightends get targeted in the most in the redzone and thats what i would go with..

I grabbed him expecting a Gatesish season. Probs not going to happen, but i'm happy with 5-6 solid pts. a week with some touchdowns (hopefully coming) thrown in. 11th round, what do you expect? I'm planning on running a mix of him and Colston for the rest of the year. Should work out well enough.

He had a wide open touchdown that the defender made a great play on, and they've been running the ball a LOT this 2nd half.

Until a Patriots WR establishes himself as a threat, Watson is going to remain mia.

He had a wide open touchdown that the defender made a great play on, and they've been running the ball a LOT this 2nd half.

Actually Brady underthrew him. Brady seems to make a bad throw every time Watson is open. I wouldn't worry too much about 2 games.

With so many mid tier Wr's and receivers in New England and 4 decent TE's on roster - while Watson may be a stud, he is one of too many opportunities for Tom Brady.

Trade him now while he has some value.

Actually Brady underthrew him. Brady seems to make a bad throw every time Watson is open. I wouldn't worry too much about 2 games.
Either way, Watson got wide open and should have had 6.

99 times out of 100, Brady hits him right between the numbers when he was wide open in the endzone.

I'm not worried. His stat line could have easily been 55 yards and a TD

I own Witten and Watson, so I'm flip flopping them based on matchup. I agree on TE's, it's hard to get excited about this position which early on has been inconsistent.

Gates is underperforming and going into a bye (buy low)\

Heap is underperforming

Cooley is underperforming

Crumpler is underperforming and playing hurt

Witten is underperforming and dropping passes

Shockey is underperforming

Gonzo is underperforming

Be patient, it's a long season

I agree, people are really over reacting here. I am also a Watson owner, and he's the only TE on my lineup. I'll start him every week, and expect 5-6 TDs when the season's over. Is he going to put up Gates-like numbers? Probably not, but if you look around the league, many of the top TEs aren't exactly tearing the place up...

...I might be a little more casual about this because I'm 2-0, but seriously, relax and have some patience, I bet he'll come around and have some nice games.

I drafted him LAST year after Dr Z practically gushed about him in the preseason SI FF issue. This year was supposed to be a breakout season, but I think there are serious chemistry probs in NE right now. Once they figure it out, he'll get rolling. Nobody can guard the guy.

He was targeted in the end zone on a 29 yard pass - unfortunately Brady underthrew it by 4 yards and it was nearly picked off.

Had that pass been on the money, Watson would have had 68 yds and a TD. what a difference a little touch on a pass makes.

Considering Watson led the team in receiving yards in week 1, and had 39 yards yesterday in a game that the Pats were ahead all day, I'd say be patient. When the Pats have to play from behind and pass to win, Watson will have some huge games.

As a NE homer, I can tell you that Watson's lack of productivity is Brady's fault.

Brady has targetted Ben on numerous deep routes and in the endzone... but Brady's passes have been off target.

If Brady was sharp, we could easily be talking about Watson as a guy with 150+ yards and 2TDs in 2 games.

Watson is in there... he's getting looks and opportunities. NE (Brady) just needs to straighten out their passing game.

As a NE homer, I can tell you that Watson's lack of productivity is Brady's fault.

Brady has targetted Ben on numerous deep routes and in the endzone... but Brady's passes have been off target.

If Brady was sharp, we could easily be talking about Watson as a guy with 150+ yards and 2TDs in 2 games.

Watson is in there... he's getting looks and opportunities. NE (Brady) just needs to straighten out their passing game.

I 100% concur with this.. also as a Pats fan.

He's getting chances, and the good thing is if you get him you still have some big games moving forward because he hasn't busted out yet. Look at Gonzo, and Crumpler, they aren't doiong much yet either, C rump only has 1 TD, but when the season is over they'll be among the best still.

With so many mid tier Wr's and receivers in New England and 4 decent TE's on roster - while Watson may be a stud, he is one of too many opportunities for Tom Brady.

Trade him now while he has some value.

Agreed, Brady spreads the ball around so much and NWE rushing attack has been rejuvinated w/addition of Maroney

I concur 100% as a non-Pat's fan, he was off and knowing Brady it will be rectified. He missed him on a corner route, under threw him a few times, but he was also missing other guys. They will not keep running like they are against every team, you have to remember that everyone is still scheming to stop Brady most of the time. Once they start loading up against the run (which they will have to do or just get run over all day) than the TE is really going to have great matchups.

No TE has really stepped up as a Gates type this year and Gates had 2 monstrous years back to back, not one.

The Pats do have 4 pretty good TE's on that team, but Watson is the most athletic after the catch and will be split out on more plays than any of the others. But he is a Pat receiver which means that there will probably be some pretty lean weeks as well, Brady historically spreads the love all over.

ALL i am gonna say is no TE is doing anything consistent (Other than Clark in chI)

Heap had 1 catch for 11 yards

Gonzo 1 catch for 7

Same goes for Cooley,crumpler, V Davis, etc.

Only week 2 folks.

Threads about TE's....only slightly less amusing than threads about kickers.... :bench:

It is called patience. I, for one, though the loss of Branch would HURT Ben at first. Defenses could key on him a lot easier without having to worry about the WRs. There may be some emergence in the WR squad soon and teams will have to stop keying on Ben.

The first two weeks of the NFL are really hard to judge. Week two had QBs turn over the ball over more than they threw TDs. That should change soon enough.

Now figuring that Chad Jackson is back in the line will he hurt Watson's production?

Chad Jackson and Doug Gabriel can probably stretch the field a bit more than Caldwell and T Brown so it may give Watson more space to operate.

I just don't ever buy into the idea that adding more talent to the mix will hurt other skill players.

If Chad Jax and Gabriel prove they areeffective deep threats, it opens up lots of things... running game, TEs for underneath routes, etc.

ETA:

also consider the BUF and the NYJ are a lot better than anyone thought they'd be.

Both defenses are tough (wtih the edge going to BUF) and the NYJ offense is doing very well with a healthy Pennington.

It'll be a bit easier in the second half for NE when GB, HOU, TEN, and DET are the matchup

I saw the play and the defender did make a nice play but it was due because the ball was underthrown. If Brady would've given it a little more air, this thread would not have even started. Watson gets thrown to a lot. A lot of balls thrown his way were off their mark on Sunday. Week #1 he had some drops. Besides Heath Miller week #1 and LJ Smith week #2, no TE has had a huge weeks. I still say Watson is one of the best TE in the league. He'll be in my line-up all year. It's only the second game of the year, he's going to produce. Now, if you're relying on him to be your top stud receiver and carry you in the playoffs, I think your drafting maybe need some tweaking.