Sign in to follow this  
Cuse9

Rice vs Harrison

Jerry Rice is unquestionably the greatest wr to ever play the game. For his dominance at the wr position for the time he played will make him a legend for all times. Stats, 3 rings, pro bowls, MVPs, records. This guy has it all.

The question is this: At Marvin's current pace do you guys think he can surpass Jerry as the greatest wr of all time? Here's the numbers you decide.

Marvin Harrison:

11 years, 170 games, 8 pro bowls, 8 1000 yd seasons,

NFL records: 143 catches in one season

Receptions: 1022

Yards: 13,697

Touchdowns: 122

Jerry Rice:

11 years, 172 games, 10 pro bowls, 10 1000 yd seasons

Receptions: 942

Yards: 15,123

Jerry Rice: 136

After 11 years Jerry played 10 more years and here is what he did.

Receptions: 607

Yards: 7772

Touchdowns: 51

Marvin is going to be 35 in August. Here is what he needs to catch/pass Jerry.

Receptions: 527 needed

Yards: 9198 needed

Touchdowns: 65 needed

Let's assume Marvin would play five more years at his current pace he would still end up short by 70 receptions, 10 TD's and 3000 yds short.

After careful consideration I have came to the conclusion that nobody will ever catch or pass Jerry Rice. The guy was too great for too long. With all of Jerry's amazing stats I will leave you with the most impressive.

28 receptions for 512 yards and 7 Touchdowns........in 3 Super Bowls! As great as Jerry was, he was even better in the post season, especially the Super Bowl.

It's going to be one of those records that will never be broken. There's a much better chance that somebody breaks Hack Wilson's record.

I don't want to say never, but if anyone ever catches Rice, it won't be Harrison.

It's going to be one of those records that will never be broken. There's a much better chance that somebody breaks Hack Wilson's record.

I don't know about that one either! With the smackdown they put on all performance enhancing drugs it will not only hurt the power hitter who produces the RBI, but will affect the smaller guys who used stuff just to get on base to become the RBI!!

That opens up a whole other topic. What record is hard to see ever being broken.

Johnny Unitas 48 straight games with a TD?

Hack Wilson's 191 RBI in one season?

Wilt Chamberlains 100 pt game?

Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak?

John Wooden's 88 game win streak?

Cal Ripken's 2632 consecutive games?

Wayne Gretzge's 215 pt season?

Richard Petty's 200 Nascar wins?

Brett Favre's consecutive games started streak?

I'm sure there are plenty more amazing records.

NO CHANCE of ever being broken:

Cy Young 511 wins and 749 complete games!

Barry Sanders setting 27 individual NCAA records at Oklahoma State....in one year.

That opens up a whole other topic. What record is hard to see ever being broken.

Johnny Unitas 48 straight games with a TD? - I think this will get broken within the next 10 years

Hack Wilson's 191 RBI in one season? - No idea, don't care, it's baseball

Wilt Chamberlains 100 pt game? - I think it will get broken eventually, could be this year, could be 50 years from now

John Wooden's 88 game win streak? - Will never be broken

Wayne Gretzge's 215 pt season? - Will never be broken

Richard Petty's 200 Nascar wins? - No idea, don't care, it's Nascar

Brett Favre's consecutive games started streak? - I think this will get broken within the next 10 years. Manning is over halfway there and might be the one to do it. I think this record is overrated.

Barry Sanders setting 27 individual NCAA records at Oklahoma State....in one year. - Agreed, I don't think this will ever get broken. Also, I think it will be a long, long time before anyone breaks his record for TDs in a season

A pitcher could average 20 wins for 25 years and still not break Cy Youngs record ! :pointstosky: maybe most impressive record I heard of ! focking crazy

Up until a few years ago I thought that Randy Moss would one day surpass Jerry Rice in all aspects except maybe number of SUper Bowl rings, but then his career went over the cliff.

Still, he was simply amazing how he busted out of the gate.

Up until a few years ago I thought that Randy Moss would one day surpass Jerry Rice in all aspects except maybe number of SUper Bowl rings, but then his career went over the cliff.

Still, he was simply amazing how he busted out of the gate.

I still hold firm to the belief that he had all the tools to do it. Rice didn't have the height, straight-line speed, or leaping ability that Moss has. If Randy had any ounce of work ethic left in him, he would have gotten even better. He had room to improve on his route running and his quickness (he's definitely more "fast" than "quick" and is a bit of a long-strider). And even if he didn't improve but simply stayed consistent, he could have broken all of Rice's records in his mid-30's. :P What a prime example of wasted talent. :wacko: And as a side note, I love your sig.

I still hold firm to the belief that he had all the tools to do it. Rice didn't have the height, straight-line speed, or leaping ability that Moss has. If Randy had any ounce of work ethic left in him, he would have gotten even better. He had room to improve on his route running and his quickness (he's definitely more "fast" than "quick" and is a bit of a long-strider). And even if he didn't improve but simply stayed consistent, he could have broken all of Rice's records in his mid-30's. :shocking: What a prime example of wasted talent. ;) And as a side note, I love your sig.

I thought he had all the tools to do it too. Shortly before he got traded, like you said, he was on pace to do it at an age where he'd still be a great athlete. I think Randy's work ethic is (or at least was) quietly underrated, he worked really hard to become the player that he was, and he was as knowledgeable about the game as any WR in the league. I wish everyone could have heard all the things the other Raider players said about him in training camp '05, they were all amazed at the way he prepared himself, mentored young players, etc. But the way the team became a trainwreck in '05 and especially '06 just sapped him of motivation. That would have never happened to Jerry. Rice practiced his ass off and played his ass off every chance he got, granted he never was in as bad a situation as Randy's Raiders, but even so his body of work left no doubt. It's just another reason he was the best.

I still hold firm to the belief that he had all the tools to do it. Rice didn't have the height, straight-line speed, or leaping ability that Moss has. If Randy had any ounce of work ethic left in him, he would have gotten even better. He had room to improve on his route running and his quickness (he's definitely more "fast" than "quick" and is a bit of a long-strider). And even if he didn't improve but simply stayed consistent, he could have broken all of Rice's records in his mid-30's. :shocking: What a prime example of wasted talent. ;) And as a side note, I love your sig.

Moss' 1st 7 seasons:

Year | G | Rec Yards Y/R TD |

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| 1998 | 16 | 69 1313 19.0 17 |

| 1999 | 16 | 80 1413 17.7 11 |

| 2000 | 16 | 77 1437 18.7 15 |

| 2001 | 16 | 82 1233 15.0 10 |

| 2002 | 16 | 106 1347 12.7 7 |

| 2003 | 16 | 111 1632 14.7 17|

| 2004 | 13 | 49 767 15.7 13

Rice's 1st 7:

| Year |G | | Rec Yards Y/R TD |

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| 1985| 16 | 49 927 18.9 3 |

| 1986| 16 | 86 1570 18.3 15 |

| 1987| 12 | 65 1078 16.6 22 |

| 1988| 16 | 64 1306 20.4 9 |

| 1989| 16 | 82 1483 18.1 17 |

| 1990| 16 | 100 1502 15.0 13 |

| 1991| 16 | 80 1206 15.1 14 |

And as a side note, I love your sig.

Honest to God I thought it while I was sitting there watching the movie in the theater. :P

Another record that no one will ever break: Johnny Vander Meer, 2 no-hit games in a row.

I don't know about that. Dave Stieb threw back-to-back one hitters, with both being broken very late (one, if not both, were broken up in the 9th).

Another record that no one will ever break: Johnny Vander Meer, 2 no-hit games in a row.

Will it be broken......most likely no. The chance of a guy throwing two back to back no hitters is possible, but the possibility of someone throwing three no hitters is almost unthinkable!

I don't know about that one either! With the smackdown they put on all performance enhancing drugs it will not only hurt the power hitter who produces the RBI, but will affect the smaller guys who used stuff just to get on base to become the RBI!!

Johnny Unitas 48 straight games with a TD?

Hack Wilson's 191 RBI in one season?

Wilt Chamberlains 100 pt game?

John Wooden's 88 game win streak?

Wayne Gretzge's 215 pt season?

Richard Petty's 200 Nascar wins?

Brett Favre's consecutive games started streak?

Barry Sanders setting 27 individual NCAA records at Oklahoma State....in one year.

I think Dimaggio's is the most impressive, although I don't know if it is the least likely to be broken. The thing about Rice is that he had the perfect compliment in Montana and then Young and Gannon... I don't know if anyone that talented will ever play with that good of a team for that long...

jdon

Nolan Ryan's strikeout record, Pete Rose's hits record. Other feats that I don't believe will be surpassed: Boston winning 8 straight NBA titles, and 11 in 13 years, Yankees 26 world series titles. Shortest baseball player ever, whatever his name, there will never be someone shorter.

Nolan Ryan's strikeout record, Pete Rose's hits record. Other feats that I don't believe will be surpassed: Boston winning 8 straight NBA titles, and 11 in 13 years, Yankees 26 world series titles. Shortest baseball player ever, whatever his name, there will never be someone shorter.

I think it was Eddie Gadell.....it was a gimmick to get people into the stands.

I think Dimaggio's is the most impressive, although I don't know if it is the least likely to be broken. The thing about Rice is that he had the perfect compliment in Montana and then Young and Gannon... I don't know if anyone that talented will ever play with that good of a team for that long...

jdon

Excellent point!!

There's no way Marvin will match Rice in any or most of those catagories. Rice was soft, but please, Harrison is even softer! He'll have a few more decent seasons and thats it. Rics never had a dominate and prominate compliment like Harrison has with Wayne. Reggie, in the next few, will outperform Marvins stats

:ninja:

Rice was soft, so soft that defenses couldn't tackle him, guard him, stop him.

There was only one way to stop Jerry Rice and Warren Sapp figured it out.

Pull him down by his facemask and tear up his knee. If not for Warren you could add another 1200+ yards, 80+ catches, 8+ TD's.

Johnny Unitas 48 straight games with a TD? could/should be broken one day.....

Hack Wilson's 191 RBI in one season? Dats a lot of Ribbies !!!!

Wilt Chamberlains 100 pt game? Broken no way... approached perhaps.... Kobe played out of his skull and had only 81 that night

Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak? gonna be tough to break, but I think it def. could/would be broken if they actually pitch to a player that's approaching it.... seems like they always avoid/pitch around them when they get into the 30's

John Wooden's 88 game win streak? who cares

Cal Ripken's 2632 consecutive games? Baseball players don't care enough these days to play every day.... they're soft and need a day off here and there,,,,, THIS RECORD WILL NEVER BE BROKEN or EVEN COME CLOSE TO BE BROKEN

Wayne Gretzge's 215 pt season? If Mario Lemieux had functional back this record would have fallen MULTIPLE times... I'll fight that one until there is no air left in my lungs....

Richard Petty's 200 Nascar wins? again who cares

Brett Favre's consecutive games started streak? For someone that plays as reckless as Brett has this record is extremely impressive NO DOUBT.....

Cy Young 511 wins and 749 complete games! he also had 316 losses.... another toughie to break

Barry was the best man !!! :cheers:

A pitcher could average 20 wins for 25 years and still not break Cy Youngs record ! :wall: maybe most impressive record I heard of ! focking crazy

:mad:

He's held the record since 1903. The way the game has changed, it's just not something that will ever be broken.

Not a baseball fan anymore, but 749 complete games seems like the most impossiblest to see getting broke.

30 complate games a year for 25 straight years.

Catfish Hunter in 1975 was the last player to hit 30 in a single season.

Another fun record is Will White with 75 complete games in 1879.

Glenn Hall played 502 straight games for the Chicago Blackhawks in the late 50's, early 60's - as a goaltender.

I agree with the Cy Young posters - that's one record that will NEVER fall.

Just a couple quick thoughts.

First, Marvin Harrison always avoids the hits. A lot of big name receivers do. Jerry Rice did. Soft? No, but certainly smart in that regard.

Second, working against Harrison is that he played the first few years of his career with the likes of Jim Harbaugh, and his numbers showed the limitation that created. That will hamper him in trying to catch Rice.

The playoff disappearance, so to speak, I'm not sure is a fair assessment. The 49ers of the 80s were far and away better than 90% of their competition. When your competition is overmatched, don't you expect great numbers? San Francisco's only close Super Bowl came before Rice was there, if I recall correctly. I don't think that's a fair measure at this point. Where was Reggie Wayne in the Super Bowl? He had one big play where the defense broke down. The DBs for the Bears played extremely well, which is why tertiary targets were the order of the day for the flexible Colts' offense.

Finally, I find it interesting that in the original post, we broke down head-to-head comparisons for the first 11 years - to this point - and then noted Jerry Rice's next 10. Then we suggest that Marvin will only play for 5 more. Now I'll grant you that is possible, but why limit the comparison? If Marvin plays the next 8 years (yes, that's old, but not unheard of for wide receivers), he will shatter the receptions mark, and the TDs mark will be approached. The yards won't likely be caught, because Marvin had a much slower start to his career in that department.

Just a thought, but I think at least the receptions record goes down. Can't dismiss these things. Dan Marino's records were once thought to be out of reach. Brett's going to take down another one next year, after Peyton eliminated the single-season TD record a couple of years ago, and Brett already took down the completions mark. And eventually, Peyton will likely break the yardage mark, as well, and possibly the TD mark. So Marino's untouchable records will be 3rd.

Just saying . . .

Just a couple quick thoughts.

First, Marvin Harrison always avoids the hits. A lot of big name receivers do. Jerry Rice did. Soft? No, but certainly smart in that regard.

Second, working against Harrison is that he played the first few years of his career with the likes of Jim Harbaugh, and his numbers showed the limitation that created. That will hamper him in trying to catch Rice.

The playoff disappearance, so to speak, I'm not sure is a fair assessment. The 49ers of the 80s were far and away better than 90% of their competition. When your competition is overmatched, don't you expect great numbers? San Francisco's only close Super Bowl came before Rice was there, if I recall correctly. I don't think that's a fair measure at this point. Where was Reggie Wayne in the Super Bowl? He had one big play where the defense broke down. The DBs for the Bears played extremely well, which is why tertiary targets were the order of the day for the flexible Colts' offense.

Finally, I find it interesting that in the original post, we broke down head-to-head comparisons for the first 11 years - to this point - and then noted Jerry Rice's next 10. Then we suggest that Marvin will only play for 5 more. Now I'll grant you that is possible, but why limit the comparison? If Marvin plays the next 8 years (yes, that's old, but not unheard of for wide receivers), he will shatter the receptions mark, and the TDs mark will be approached. The yards won't likely be caught, because Marvin had a much slower start to his career in that department.

Just a thought, but I think at least the receptions record goes down. Can't dismiss these things. Dan Marino's records were once thought to be out of reach. Brett's going to take down another one next year, after Peyton eliminated the single-season TD record a couple of years ago, and Brett already took down the completions mark. And eventually, Peyton will likely break the yardage mark, as well, and possibly the TD mark. So Marino's untouchable records will be 3rd.

Just saying . . .

That's definitely possible, no doubt about it. And one thing that's on Harrison's side is that he seems to be very durable - he has avoided major injury. If that keeps up, there's no reason not to think he'll approach Rice's numbers. It's funny though - after Moss' first few years, it was him I was terrified of breaking Rice's records, not Harrison.

Just as an aside, Rice did play in a close Super Bowl. In the 20-16 Super Bowl win over Cinci, he was actually the MVP of the game with his 11 catch, 215 yard, 1 TD performance (can't remember how many came on that final drive). Looking back at that reminded me of Rice's Super Bowl stats that Cuse9 listed in the OP. Holy crap.

Those are some good records Cuse9......

Wilt Chamberlains 100 pt game can be broken... Kobe almost did a couple times last yr..

Cal Ripken's 2632 consecutive games and Brett Favre's streak can be broken... Manning may actually pass Farve later on... As the Drugs (and I'm not just talking about the the illegal ones) and training staff get more advanced.. the players will have longer careers..

Wayne Gretzge's 215 pt season belongs in the no chance spot... if you follow Hockey you will know that the sport has changed from the 80's.. Yes the new rules bring the Offense back into the game; But Goalies wear bigger pads, teams play the trap, and a coach will never allow a player to hang on the blue line and wait for the puck to come out the way Gretz use too.. Now a days; every player must play some kind of D.....

Jerry Rice:

11 years, 172 games, 10 pro bowls, 10 1000 yd seasons

Receptions: 942

Yards: 15,123

Jerry Rice: 136

TO

11 Years, 158 games

Recs: 801

Yards: 11715

TDs: 114

I see TO being a top 5 WR for the next 3 yrs then slowing down for another 3 too 5 yrs... If can find a team that will take him in..

He might have a chance

Those are some good records Cuse9......

Wayne Gretzge's 215 pt season belongs in the no chance spot... if you follow Hockey you will know that the sport has changed from the 80's.. Yes the new rules bring the Offense back into the game; But Goalies wear bigger pads, teams play the trap, and a coach will never allow a player to hang on the blue line and wait for the puck to come out the way Gretz use too.. Now a days; every player must play some kind of D.....

I see TO being a top 5 WR for the next 3 yrs then slowing down for another 3 too 5 yrs... If can find a team that will take him in..

He might have a chance

I can see Gretzge's record getting broken if the NHL widens the nets like they are talking about. Hell, Crosby is having an amazing season this year......imagine what he could do if they widened the nets!

It's bad enough that TO holds the receptions in a single game record. That guy is such a douche I hope he never gets any records again.

This is a HOF question: Will they put an idiot like Owens in the Hall. He has the numbers?!

Agreed that Marvin won't play long enough to surpass Rice. Neither of Cy Young's records will ever be threatened, let alone broken. Just so you know somebody cares, I'm here to tell you that Richard Petty's 200 wins will never be challenged either. Racing has changed since 1970 or so.

I can see Gretzge's record getting broken if the NHL widens the nets like they are talking about. Hell, Crosby is having an amazing season this year......imagine what he could do if they widened the nets!

It's bad enough that TO holds the receptions in a single game record. That guy is such a douche I hope he never gets any records again.

This is a HOF question: Will they put an idiot like Owens in the Hall. He has the numbers?!

If Irvin got in... Owens should be in....

Think of all the sh1t Irvin has been involved with...

Gretz records are untouchable.... No one will ever get upto 200 pts again in Hockey.... and No one will ever reach 2857 pts in a career again.

Even if Gretz was cloned and re-started his career... it will never happen...

Hockey from the 80s is a totally different sport than 90s the and even today... It just will never happen again..

Right Player, right time..

Wayne Gretzky - 2857 Points

Games: 1487

Teams: Oilers, Kings, Blues, Rangers

"The Great One" is arguably the best hockey player ever, winner of four Stanley Cups with the Edmonton Oilers, and at his retirement held or shared 61 NHL records.

As someone who has watched every Colts game for 15 years, the guys in the booth always put up when Marvin or anybody breaks a record. They always compare it to Rice . 75 % of the time Marvin reached a milestone faster than Rice. I belive Marvin has 5 or 6 years left on his contract. If anyone catches up with SOME of Rice's records, it will be Harrison.

Even if Gretz was cloned and re-started his career... it will never happen...

Hockey from the 80s is a totally different sport than 90s the and even today... It just will never happen again..

Right Player, right time..

Wayne Gretzky - 2857 Points

Games: 1487

Teams: Oilers, Kings, Blues, Rangers

"The Great One" is arguably the best hockey player ever, winner of four Stanley Cups with the Edmonton Oilers, and at his retirement held or shared 61 NHL records.

Put Mario Lemieux on that Oilers team with a "Semi Healthy" Back and the NHL would have shut down because it would have been unfair to the other teams.....He was the best...... but you're right hockey is totally different now.....

Put Mario Lemieux on that Oilers team with a "Semi Healthy" Back and the NHL would have shut down because it would have been unfair to the other teams.....He was the best...... but you're right hockey is totally different now.....

Thats what I'm saying... you need to place a player 15 years in the past to stand a chance against Gretz Records..

I agree w/ you too... not saying it was just Gretz that could do all that... Right Individaul, right time period, right team... the perfect storm

That's what they said about Bobby Orr when he was playing (unfortunately he played just before my time). At least I got to see both Gretzky and Lemieux play though. And when they played together in the '87 Canada Cup against the Soviets, it was magic.

There's no way Marvin will match Rice in any or most of those catagories. Rice was soft, but please, Harrison is even softer! He'll have a few more decent seasons and thats it. Rics never had a dominate and prominate compliment like Harrison has with Wayne. Reggie, in the next few, will outperform Marvins stats

Soft huh? Did you happen to see the way he was twisted like a pretzel in the SB? I thought for sure his career was over.

Well, I guess I'm partial, but...

TyCobb has a lifetime BA of .367, hit over .300 for 23 consecutive seasons, hit over .400 3 times and averaged over .400 for a five year stretch, and the most upbrakeable of all IMO...

he stole home plate 54 times in his career!

He also pulled the triple steal four times (stealing second base, third base, and home plate during the same inning).

he stole home plate 54 times in his career!

He also pulled the triple steal four times (stealing second base, third base, and home plate during the same inning).

:banana: That rocks, I didn't know that. I would presume he must also hold the record for runs scored, by a large margin? :lol:

That's what they said about Bobby Orr when he was playing (unfortunately he played just before my time). At least I got to see both Gretzky and Lemieux play though. And when they played together in the '87 Canada Cup against the Soviets, it was magic.

Rendezvous 87 baby that was the shiat, that was some nice puck ! Also Orr played right before my time as well.... but I'll continue to blow Mario the guy was hands and above the rest when it came to pure skillz on the ice.... Another record he has that will NEVER be broken is the fact that he scored a goal every way possible IN THE SAME GAME....

Regular strength Goal

Power Play Goal

Short Handed Goal

Penalty Shot Goal

Empty Net Goal...

The odds of someone ever getting the opportunity to even attempt all of them in a game is insane let alone score every way even if they did.... Very few guys play both ways PP and SH and penalty shots are awarded what a few times a year ???? Then the team has to be winning by a goal or two for the other team to empty there net..... Can't see that ever happening again....