Sign in to follow this  
Juniper

Greatest Keyboard Solos

I often see threads about rock and roll music's greatest guitar solos; but can't remember any that mention keyboard solos. ANY keyboard; I don't care if it's a grand piano, electric piano, organ, synthesizer, clavinet, harpsicord, clavicord, mellotron, celesta... I'm not talking about the predominant riff or hook to a song, ala the clavinet in Superstition, the piano vamp from Werewolves Of London or synthesizer sequencing from Baba O'Riley; but a solo. I'm working without a net on this; but a few of my favorites include:

* Lucky Man, ELP; synthesizer solo by Keith Emerson. An obvious choice; most of mine are mainstream songs from the '70's.

* Call Me The Breeze, Lynyrd Skynryd; piano solo by Billy Powell.

* Roundabout, Yes; organ solo by Rick Wakefield.

* In My Life, The Beatles; piano solo by George Martin. It's not a harpsicord, they speeded up the playback during recording to give the piano a Baroque sound.

* Bloody Well Right, Supertramp, electric piano solo by Roger Davies. I'm sort of violating my criteria, because the passage I'm referring to is right at the beginning.

I suppose Jon Lord of Deep Purple had his moments, but I can't single out any of them in particular. Perhaps Lazy, Space Trucking or Woman From Tokyo. And no, I didn't forget The Doors Ray Manzarek; he bores me to tears.

What about

the beginning of piano man, and the final count down. As soon as I hear them I am like ;)

Billy Payne from Little Feat on numerous songs, but the one that jumps out at me off the top of my head is "Dixie Chicken" from Waiting for Columbus.

Piano-wise, Bruce Hornsby had some great solo stuff on several of his albums.

Lazy - Deep Purple (Jon Lord) I had to go search for the keyboardist's name.

Elton John should be on this list but a song doesn't come to mind at the moment.

Phil Connors - Beethoven's Fur Elise

:huh: , but it was Rachmaninov's "Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini" :dunno:

I guess this thread is limited to "rock" tunes? (thread title doesn't say) Anything Hancock or Zawinul play with their left hand tied behind their back blows away anything mentioned thus far.

Garth Hudson from The Band on "Chest Fever".

My first thought too, and you could include several more from him as well.

:dunno: , but it was Rachmaninov's "Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini" :dunno:

:banana:

I looked it up and it tols me the other one.

If I can't trust the internets - who can I trust?

I love the '60s garage rock sound...

'96 tears' by ? and the Mysterians is my favorite. The Lyres' (1980's) take on this sound has my #2 and #3 favorites -- "Don't Give It Up Now" and "Help You Ann"

Another great one is "Gimme Some Lovin'" by the Spenser Davis Group. Another great Steve Winwood keyboard solo is the one in "If You See a Chance" (the entire Arc of a Diver album has great keyboard work)

The B-52's have some great keyboard solos in "Rock Lobster". "Private Idaho", and "Dance This Mess Around"

"Cars" by Gary Numan has the best extended one chord keyboard solo around

"Whip It" by Devo has the best one finger keyboard solo around..

As for regular piano solos, I like "Look Sharp" by Joe Jackson and "Maybe I'm Amazed" by Paul McCartney

Surprised nobody picked "Jump" by Van Halen yet...

First thing I thought of was

Piano starts at 2:18. Not musically the best perhaps, but I've always loved it. Followed immediately thereafter by one of my fav guitar solos, as a bonus. :dunno:

Instant Club Hit (You'll Dance to Anything) - the Dead Milkmen.

First thing I thought of was

Piano starts at 2:18. Not musically the best perhaps, but I've always loved it. Followed immediately thereafter by one of my fav guitar solos, as a bonus. :cry:

Good call :mad:

I guess this thread is limited to "rock" tunes? Anything Hancock or Zawinul play with their left hand tied behind their back blows away anything mentioned thus far.

No arguements. Although my Pop musical taste is fairly pedestrian; I do enjoy a few Weather Report albums, particularly Black Market and Heavy Weather. See? I even like my Jazz Fusion to be mainstream. A few more suggestions:

* She's A Rainbow, The Rolling Stones; piano solos by Nicky Hopkins.

* Foreplay/Long Time, Boston; assorted keyboards by Tom Scholz.

* Rockin' Pneumonia And The Boogie Woogie Flu, Johnny Rivers; I don't know who plays the piano. Larry Knechtel? Michael Omartian? Jimmy Webb? It's a cover of an old Huey Smith And The Clowns song and the original version is even better.

* Heard It In A Love Song, The Marshall Tucker Band; piano solo could be by Bruce Hornsby or Chuck Leavell.

No arguements. Although my Pop musical taste is fairly pedestrian; I do enjoy a few Weather Report albums, particularly Black Market and Heavy Weather. See? I even like my Jazz Fusion to be mainstream. A few more suggestions:

* She's A Rainbow, The Rolling Stones; piano solos by Nicky Hopkins.

* Foreplay/Long Time, Boston; assorted keyboards by Tom Scholz.

* Rockin' Pneumonia And The Boogie Woogie Flu, Johnny Rivers; I don't know who plays the piano. Larry Knechtel? Michael Omartian? Jimmy Webb? It's a cover of an old Huey Smith And The Clowns song and the original version is even better.

* Heard It In A Love Song, The Marshall Tucker Band; piano solo could be by Bruce Hornsby or Chuck Leavell.

I concur with your assements thus far, especially Billy Powell - I've always assumed Jerry Lee and Little Richard were big inluences of his - there's something to be said for the physical requirements needed for pounding out some good boogie-woogie piano,

Do you play piano yourself? My main instrument is guitar, but I can play competent enough keys (well, only in a backing capacity B) ). That experience helps to give me perspective on who's actually got chops. As far as jazz keys go, Cuong Vu seems to have been passed the torch.

The fifth Beatle. :dunno:

I thought that was George Martin?

Close to the Edge/South Side of the Sky-Rick Wakeman (YES)

Karn Evil 9/Tocatta- Keith Emerson (ELP)

The Dance of Eternity/Fatal Tragedy/- Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater)

Metropolis, Pt 1- Kevin Moore (Dream Theater)

Piano Thing- Matt Bellamy (Muse)

After The Cosmic Rain- Chick Corea (Return To Forever)

Suppers Ready- Tony Banks (Genesis)

Universal Mind- Jordan Rudess (Solo)

Riders on the Storm- Ray Manzarek (The Doors)

As Above, So Below- Jens Johannson (Yngwie Malmsteens Rising Force)

And both of the Liquid Tension Experiment albums...Jordan Rudess again, only with Tony Levin on bass...excellent works.

only with Tony Levin on bass

Great posting, just wanted to highlight what I thought was the best part :(

All Hail King Crimson!

When Josef Zawinul wanted to fire Jaco from Weather Report (in '81), the 1st name on his list was Tony Levin. The firing never happened. Anyways . . . Robert Fripp :(

Close to the Edge/South Side of the Sky-Rick Wakeman (YES)

Karn Evil 9/Tocatta- Keith Emerson (ELP)

The Dance of Eternity/Fatal Tragedy/- Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater)

Metropolis, Pt 1- Kevin Moore (Dream Theater)

Piano Thing- Matt Bellamy (Muse)

After The Cosmic Rain- Chick Corea (Return To Forever)

Suppers Ready- Tony Banks (Genesis)

Universal Mind- Jordan Rudess (Solo)

Riders on the Storm- Ray Manzarek (The Doors)

As Above, So Below- Jens Johannson (Yngwie Malmsteens Rising Force)

And both of the Liquid Tension Experiment albums...Jordan Rudess again, only with Tony Levin on bass...excellent works.

Awesome list. I think if you're going to mention Rudess, you have to include that long, Wakeman-esque solo in the middle of "Octavarium."

When Josef Zawinul wanted to fire Jaco from Weather Report (in '81), the 1st name on his list was Tony Levin. The firing never happened. Anyways . . . Robert Fripp :lol:

The greatest "high profile" rock guitarist that most have never heard of.

Awesome list. I think if you're going to mention Rudess, you have to include that long, Wakeman-esque solo in the middle of "Octavarium."

I agree 100%, my list was just getting Rudess heavy.