Sign in to follow this  
Thin Spirit

Patriots looking at Stallworth...

Patriots looking to sign an ex-Eagles receiver

Patriots looking to sign an ex-Eagles receiver

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The Patriots may not be done just yet. They are talking with Dante Stallworth.

He was traded from the New Orleans Saints to the Philadelphia Eagles last season.

Stallworth could help at receiver, especially if Troy Brown retires. Tom Brady would love to see him stretch the field, as Stallworth is known for his tremendous speed.

Last year Stallworth had 38 catches, 725 yards and 5 touchdowns in 11 games.

(Copyright 2007 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/sports/BO45128/

It just keeps getting better. :dunno:

This is a surprise coming on the heels of the Welker offer. Yet, it does mesh with my thoughts that the Pats know that with Brady turning 30 this year they probably have a five year window where they have an excellent opportunity to win more championships. They have made some very tough decisions the past few years which have put them in a position to be big players in free agency and the draft this year. As a Pats fan this is real exciting stuff.

I'm actually not very excited about this. Stalworth is an excellent deep threat, which I think they could really use. However, he is injury prone and undependable. Plus he will probably cost a whole lot of money.

It doesn't surprise me that they would be interested in him, though, since they tried to trade for him when the Saints were shopping him last year.

caldwell-stallworth-welker-not a bad receiving corp? :rolleyes: o and dont forget about gaffney and jackson in 09

I definitely rank Gaffney ahead of Caldwell.

I think Gaffney has all kinds of talent, but has just been in the wrong situations (i.e. Houston) and hasn't been able to showcase it. I'm really excited to see what he can do having a full season under his belt, and a whole off-season of workouts with Brady.

I think Gaffney has all kinds of talent, but has just been in the wrong situations (i.e. Houston) and hasn't been able to showcase it. I'm really excited to see what he can do having a full season under his belt, and a whole off-season of workouts with Brady.

Unlike guys like Hayes, Gabriel and Andre Davis he seemed to pick up the Pats system pretty quickly. I didn't think too much when they signed him but I'm excited to see if he picks up where he left off this season. He was became a reliable option and once Brady gets comfortable with a guy he'll get his share of throws.

Agreed, Gaffney is far superior to Caldwell, IMO. I'd like to see him start next year, whereas I would really prefer that Reche wasn't on the roster at all. Maybe I'm being unfair, but his "performance" in the Indy game really soured me on him, and I wasn't a fan to start with.

Agreed, Gaffney is far superior to Caldwell, IMO. I'd like to see him start next year, whereas I would really prefer that Reche wasn't on the roster at all. Maybe I'm being unfair, but his "performance" in the Indy game really soured me on him, and I wasn't a fan to start with.

I really disagree with this. Caldwell is not an All Pro. That's pretty obvious. Yet, he had a solid year for the Pats last year considering how much they are paying him. Add in the fact he was often going against top CBs and his year was more impressive. The key with Caldwell is not having too high of expectations. He's never going to be a #1 but in an offense like the Pats that likes to spread it around he can be an effective contributor. He's a piece of the puzzle.

Also, while the Indy game was ugly there may be no Indy game if he doesn't make the catch against the Chargers.

I really disagree with this. Caldwell is not an All Pro. That's pretty obvious. Yet, he had a solid year for the Pats last year considering how much they are paying him. Add in the fact he was often going against top CBs and his year was more impressive. The key with Caldwell is not having too high of expectations. He's never going to be a #1 but in an offense like the Pats that likes to spread it around he can be an effective contributor. He's a piece of the puzzle.

Also, while the Indy game was ugly there may be no Indy game if he doesn't make the catch against the Chargers.

Statistically, he did have a pretty impressive year. His numbers were pretty close to what Branch used to get on the Patriots. And the price is right, of course.

However, I question his toughness. Every time he makes a catch he immediately falls to the ground or runs out of bounds. I've never see him go over the middle and its quite rare that he will lay himself to make a tough catch. Then you had the Indy game, where when things were starting to fall apart with the season on the line, Caldwell sh!t his pants. So I don't think he is reliable, because it appears to me that he willows in the face of adversity, rather than rising to the occasion.

The Pats don't have Welker yet. The Dolphins could still match. So it doesn't shock me that they are still looking at all options.

If the Pats sign Stallworth it will be completely out of desperation at wr. He is everything the Pats generally steer clear of. I thought they were desperate last year when they moved up to grab Jackson and I didn't really like the move at the time. I thought they did the right thing to let Branch move on but they have yet to replace him and find a true #1 wr. I think they go after Bowe in round 1 and unlike Jackson I'd applaud that move. Having a stud wr is one area where the Pats are at a disadvantage to way too many teams. Sadly it won't be that easy to fill that void barring a rookie breaking out.

The Pats don't have Welker yet. The Dolphins could still match. So it doesn't shock me that they are still looking at all options.

heard on espn radio on the way home from work that they've completed a trade: welker to the pats for the pats 2 and 7 in this year's draft.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network just reported Stallworth is visiting with the Pats tonight, and that they are his first choice if he can't work out a deal with Philly.

Didn't Donte just check into the substance abuse program, or did I hear that wrong ?

Well he didn't "check in to the program," as in is at a rehab clinic. The story was that he is IN the NFL program, which basically just means that he was busted at some point for something, and so now he has to take more tests and will be subject to punishment if he fails them.

Well he didn't "check in to the program," as in is at a rehab clinic. The story was that he is IN the NFL program, which basically just means that he was busted at some point for something, and so now he has to take more tests and will be subject to punishment if he fails them.

Gotcha.... I'm aware of the way it works, :dunno: I just caught the end of John Clayton's ESPN news report before and he mentioned his "substance abuse issues", so I wasn't 100% sure what was goin on with that or if it was something I recently may have missed regarding Stallworth

As a Giants fan, I am hoping that this results in the Eagles losing one of their best WRs :-)

How will that help Eli not suck?

I'm actually not very excited about this. Stalworth is an excellent deep threat, which I think they could really use. However, he is injury prone and undependable. Plus he will probably cost a whole lot of money.

It doesn't surprise me that they would be interested in him, though, since they tried to trade for him when the Saints were shopping him last year.

The Word in NE is that Stallworth is only looking for a one year deall from the Pats, and he might get it today.

He is meeting with Pioli and Belichick as i type this.

i am not sure how he will fit in, frankly i am more excited about Welker.

Schefter on NFL.com reports that Stallworth has agreed to term s with the PATS. However the link doesn't yet back it up.

Schefter on NFL.com reports that Stallworth has agreed to term s with the PATS. However the link doesn't yet back it up.

The link I see to Schefter's "comings and goings" only says the Pats extended an offer. Nothing about agreeing to terms. Can you post the link you're looking at?

If the is the guy the Pats are banking on for 16 games then we're in trouble. I hate this move :D

I'm not seeing this confirmed anywhere besides that Philly link and there are reports it's not a done deal. He's supposedly going to Tenn tomorrow. Here's to hoping the Titans throw a boatload of $$ at him and he goes there. How anyone can be excited about getting the always hurt, stone handed, alligator armed, substance abusing Stallworthless is beyond me? And a 6 year deal :D

My guess is the Pats stuck to their guns on a low-risk, incentive-laden deal, and Stallworth balked. He might be coming back around though, depends on what happens.

On the other hand, stupid a$$ teams like Tennessee are probably now thinking "well, if the Patriots almost signed him..." :D

On the other hand, stupid a$$ teams like Tennessee are probably now thinking "well, if the Patriots almost signed him..." :D

WTF

I heard on EEI that it's a done deal. 6 years, 30+ mill. Hopefully the guarenteed $ isnt huge. I like that he's at the age where guys tend to mature and his speed and size are great but that hammy and his ability to get the playbook is questionable.

I heard on EEI that it's a done deal. 6 years, 30+ mill. Hopefully the guarenteed $ isnt huge. I like that he's at the age where guys tend to mature and his speed and size are great but that hammy and his ability to get the playbook is questionable.

EEI was basing that off a story on the Comcast website, which they retracted. So unless there has been a new development, it is not a done deal.

Also, I thought Stallworth was actually quite good at picking up offenses? He sure stepped right in with Philly. But his durability is a problem. Then there are certain character concerns (though to be lazy in NO, is now in the substance abuse program, etc.). Plus, I don't know that he is versatile enough in what he can do, or is a good enough route runner, for the Pats' system.

WTF

Tennessee fan? My apologies. I hate those dirty bastards (more cheap shots than I recall when they played the Pats near the end of the year) and I obviously they were pretty stupid for signing David Givens last year. Thats sort of what I was getting at, that a less successful team might figure that because the Pats were interested to a degree, that Stallworth must be FA gold.

They did draft Vince Young, though. That guy is a winner.

Tennessee fan? My apologies. I hate those dirty bastards (more cheap shots than I recall when they played the Pats near the end of the year) and I obviously they were pretty stupid for signing David Givens last year. Thats sort of what I was getting at, that a less successful team might figure that because the Pats were interested to a degree, that Stallworth must be FA gold.

They did draft Vince Young, though. That guy is a winner.

Don't be silly. t.j. has it worse than that. He is a RAIDERS fan! :wall:

This is from ProFootballTalk:

POSTED 7:39 p.m. EST; LAST UPDATED 8:38 p.m. EST, March 6, 2007

STILL NO DEAL FOR STALLWORTH

Contrary to a report on ComcastSportsNet.com that receiver Donte' Stallworth has a deal with the New England Patriots, Profootballtalk.com has learned that there is no agreement.

ComcastSportsNet.com says that the deal was "confirmed . . . by the office of Drew Rosenhaus, Stallworth's agent."

Well, we tracked down Rosenhaus personally, and he told us: "There is no deal, and nothing is imminent."

Stallworth visited with the Patriots on Tuesday, and will next visit with the Titans, and then with the Dolphins. No decision on his next destination is expected until the end of the week, at the earliest.

[uPDATE: ComcastSportsNet.com has revised its story, calling the reports of a deal 'premature." In true Tribune-Review fashin, the reference to confirmation from the office of Drew Rosenhaus has been scrubbed out of the story.]

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm