Sign in to follow this  
TheNewGirl

Gallstones?

Anyone? Anyone?

Symptoms? Treatment?

If you had your gall bladder removed, how is your diet, etc?

All I know about gall stones is that the symptoms in women are frequently confused for heart problems. :clap:

My wife has had her gall bladder removed. Didn't change a single thing as far as her diet, level of activity or anything else.

She does have a slighty higher incidence of heartburn than I do, but that could be for many reasons.

I suffered from gallstones and had my gallbladder removed about 16 years ago.

The symptoms I experienced during attacks were awful pain in the upper abdomen. Even though I've never experienced heart problems, I would agree that the area that the pain was in and the severity of the pain (at times) would make you think you might be having a heart attack. It would start out as a mild, dull ache... like a heaviness in the upper abdomen. Always accompanied by bloating and a fullness feeling. So bloated that you're unable to hold in your tummy... felt like I'd just consumed a huge meal even if I hadn't eaten a thing all day. Not a pain that goes away when you lay down or rub it (like a normal tummy ache)... just a constant, very uncomfortable pain.

My surgery was done laprascopically through the belly button. I have I think 3 or 4 tiny scars in various areas on my belly (that you can't even see anymore)... The procedure is usually done as an outpatient (depending on your age and health). I was in the hospital for one week, but that is only because I am so anemic that whenever I have any kind of surgery or bad illness, it takes me a bit longer to recover than the average person.

There were no diet restrictions after the surgery and I have never had another problem in relation to it again. :thumbsup:

my buddy just had surgery to remove them..

now when he drinks he gets sick a lot and when he eats trash he gets sick a lot :thumbsup:

Coupla things;

1) Don't confuse gallstones for gastritis. Both present in very similar ways.

2) Gall Bladder surgery is very easy these days. Usually a simple outpatient procedure.

3) I've had my share of gastritis - hurts, but not "oh my god I'm gonna die" kind of hurt.

4) I had a Dr. that wanted to do surgery when I had some flare ups. I didn't do it. That was at least 4-5 years ago. Other than the occasional flare-up (see below), no big impact.

5) Ease off in a huge way on the grease & fat. Huge flare-up contributor. I can feel it almost immediately when I overdo it.

6) Stop eating gall for a while. Or at least cut back.

The symptoms I experienced during attacks were awful pain in the upper abdomen. Even though I've never experienced heart problems, I would agree that the area that the pain was in and the severity of the pain (at times) would make you think you might be having a heart attack. It would start out as a mild, dull ache... like a heaviness in the upper abdomen. Always accompanied by bloating and a fullness feeling. So bloated that you're unable to hold in your tummy... felt like I'd just consumed a huge meal even if I hadn't eaten a thing all day. Not a pain that goes away when you lay down or rub it (like a normal tummy ache)... just a constant, very uncomfortable pain.

My surgery was done laprascopically through the belly button. I have I think 3 or 4 tiny scars in various areas on my belly (that you can't even see anymore)... The procedure is usually done as an outpatient (depending on your age and health). I was in the hospital for one week, but that is only because I am so anemic that whenever I have any kind of surgery or bad illness, it takes me a bit longer to recover than the average person.

There were no diet restrictions after the surgery and I have never had another problem in relation to it again. :thumbsup:

Coupla things;

1) Don't confuse gallstones for gastritis. Both present in very similar ways.

2) Gall Bladder surgery is very easy these days. Usually a simple outpatient procedure.

3) I've had my share of gastritis - hurts, but not "oh my god I'm gonna die" kind of hurt.

4) I had a Dr. that wanted to do surgery when I had some flare ups. I didn't do it. That was at least 4-5 years ago. Other than the occasional flare-up (see below), no big impact.

5) Ease off in a huge way on the grease & fat. Huge flare-up contributor. I can feel it almost immediately when I overdo it.

6) Stop eating gall for a while. Or at least cut back.

Both of these responses are very accurate. Gall Stones often present with steady "pressure" type pain which gets easily confused with chest pain. Chest Pain due to Unstable Angina or a Coronary Event will radiate differently however. Gall Stone symptoms will mostly occur in the upper abdomen, between the shoulder blades(back), and under the right shoulder. You may also have a low grade fever accompanied by chills, and clay colored stools. Chest Pain radiates to the jaw/face and we all know about the left arm and "elephant on my chest".

Gastritis, especially considering how much people drink and take non steroidal anti-inflammatories, is more likely of a cause.

In BEGs case, her anemia may have been a significant contributing factor to her development of Gall Stones.

Anyway, my advice is, of course, see your Primary Care Physician if symptoms persist.

In BEGs case, her anemia may have been a significant contributing factor to her development of Gall Stones.

You're right, it was. They wanted to remove my Spleen at the time as well, (for precautionary measures due to the type of Anemia I have) but I wouldn't agree to it.

You're right, it was. They wanted to remove my Spleen at the time as well, (for precautionary measures due to the type of Anemia I have) but I wouldn't agree to it.

Depending on the specific type and rarity of your anemia, and there are 400 different types as you may already know, this wasn't such a bad idea.

My Dad just had his out last week [through the BB also].

Outpatient surgery.

Home a week+ for recovery.

He was up and walking the next day.

Diet going forward is unrestrited but agree with the lack of fatty foods.

What kind of anemia do you have?

What kind of anemia do you have?

Spherocytosis

Basically, my red blood cells are shaped sphere-like rather than round/oblong like the average person... thus making them break apart when they go through my Spleen. I keep it somewhat under control by taking daily folic acid supplements which helps in the production of the red cells that I lose.

Spherocytosis

Basically, my red blood cells are shaped sphere-like rather than round/oblong like the average person... thus making them break apart when they go through my Spleen. I keep it somewhat under control by taking daily folic acid supplements which helps in the production of the red cells that I lose.

My husband had spherocytosis, had his spleen removed when he was 13.

His was brought on my an auto-immune problem when he got chicken pox, his brother had it too...we are watching our kids VERY closely, as it seems to be hereditary.

There were no diet restrictions after the surgery and I have never had another problem in relation to it again. :D

MOM?????????????????????????

My husband had spherocytosis, had his spleen removed when he was 13.

His was brought on my an auto-immune problem when he got chicken pox, his brother had it too...we are watching our kids VERY closely, as it seems to be hereditary.

Really? I've never known anyone else with it! (not that I know your husband, of course). :D

Did removal of his spleen cure it? And has he had any problems from not having a Spleen? I've only had one hemolytic crisis (A-plastic anemia) when I was 15 yrs old. That's when we found out that I even had this. That's the only thing that really scares me about it.. the fact that that might happen again. That was pretty scary and I did have to get 2 blood transfusions.

And yes, it's actually Hereditary Spherocytosis. My son was tested (it's called an Osmotic Fragility test) when he was around 8 yrs old and he's negative. Doctor says there are different severities of the condition from mild to severe... I guess I'm somewhere in the middle.

Really? I've never known anyone else with it! (not that I know your husband, of course). :lol:

Did removal of his spleen cure it? And has he had any problems from not having a Spleen? I've only had one hemolytic crisis (A-plastic anemia) when I was 15 yrs old. That's when we found out that I even had this. That's the only thing that really scares me about it.. the fact that that might happen again. That was pretty scary and I did have to get 2 blood transfusions.

And yes, it's actually Hereditary Spherocytosis. My son was tested (it's called an Osmotic Fragility test) when he was around 8 yrs old and he's negative. Doctor says there are different severities of the condition from mild to severe... I guess I'm somewhere in the middle.

More wine would be my cure, Brown Eyes! How yuh doin? :D

More wine would be my cure, Brown Eyes! How yuh doin? :lol:

I like your prescription TAS :lol:

I'm good, thanks! Hope you're doing well too and experiencing some nice weather there on the islands! We're looking forward to mid 80 degree temps here this weekend ourselves and I'm really looking forward to that!

Hope your wife is doing well and isn't too uncomfortable as her delivery date gets closer. :D

I like your prescription TAS :P

I'm good, thanks! Hope you're doing well too and experiencing some nice weather there on the islands! We're looking forward to mid 80 degree temps here this weekend ourselves and I'm really looking forward to that!

Hope your wife is doing well and isn't too uncomfortable as her delivery date gets closer. :D

Not a freakin' cloud in the sky, a BEAUTIFUL day! The wife has too much amniotic fluid, which could mean a variety of problems for the baby, her being diabetic ( which she isn't pre- pregos but apparently women can contract it :lol: ) or absolutely nothing....who knows.

I hope things are going well with you! :lol:

Believe it or not, semen is very helpful for most of the symptoms.

Drink up :D

Believe it or not, semen is very helpful for most of the symptoms.

Drink up :banana:

No wonder you have no 'stones! It's all making sense now! ;)

Not a freakin' cloud in the sky, a BEAUTIFUL day! The wife has too much amniotic fluid, which could mean a variety of problems for the baby, her being diabetic ( which she isn't pre- pregos but apparently women can contract it :dunno: ) or absolutely nothing....who knows.

I hope things are going well with you! :banana:

I'm sorry to hear that your wife is having some problems and yes, I've heard diabetes can be contracted through pregnancy. Sending good T&P's your way. Stay positive.

Me? I'm doing alright. Life is good. ;)

Take care over there.

I'm sorry to hear that your wife is having some problems and yes, I've heard diabetes can be contracted through pregnancy. Sending good T&P's your way. Stay positive.

Me? I'm doing alright. Life is good. ;)

Take care over there.

Thanks for the kind thoughts and prayers!

You too! :banana:

No wonder you have no 'stones! It's all making sense now! :dunno:

Did you just make a funny at my expense? ;)

:banana:

Spherocytosis

You do realize your chances of an event increase with age. You seem like a young, healthy person. I also admire your self education on your anemia, very smart. In my opinion, you should have had your spleen out at that time, however this is not my specialty. You seem like you are in touch with what is going on so I give way to your decision. I wish I could see more people that were as concerned as you about whats wrong with them.. :dunno:

Anyone? Anyone?

Symptoms? Treatment?

If you had your gall bladder removed, how is your diet, etc?

www.curezone.com

Go there and search for gall stones. I believe a liver flush will flush them out, but make sure you thoroughly research it on there. If they get stuck coming out, it can be fairly painful.

www.curezone.com

Go there and search for gall stones. I believe a liver flush will flush them out, but make sure you thoroughly research it on there. If they get stuck coming out, it can be fairly painful.

... :banana: ...

... :banana: ...

Or apparently you would rather go spend thousands on a surgery to take something out that your body needs. :banana: Me, I would take the easy way out.

Or apparently you would rather go spend thousands on a surgery to take something out that your body needs. :banana: Me, I would take the easy way out.

Ok

Really? I've never known anyone else with it! (not that I know your husband, of course). :rolleyes:

Yes, he's fine after his spleen was removed, his brother too. They both had hemolytic crises, his brother needed transfusions, but he didn't.

He had "warm autoimmune hemolytic anemia" - basically, his body reached a certain temp (fever associated with chicken pox) and his body started to destroy the membrane on the red blood cells, turning them into spherocytes.

We haven't had our kids tested, I haven't heard of the Osmotic Fragility test.

We did have our son tested for anemia when he was one, and they found that he did have an elevated HemoglobinF. Not sure if it's related, but I can see how it might be since that's related to the membrane on the red blood cells. I will see if I can get them the Osmotic Fragility test, too.

I have asked people about spherocytosis, and you're right, not many people know about it. I did LOTS of research when I was pregnant.

You do realize your chances of an event increase with age. You seem like a young, healthy person. I also admire your self education on your anemia, very smart. In my opinion, you should have had your spleen out at that time, however this is not my specialty. You seem like you are in touch with what is going on so I give way to your decision. I wish I could see more people that were as concerned as you about whats wrong with them.. :cheers:

Well, thanks. I wanted to know as much as possible about it so that I could remain healthy and reduce or prevent any problems associated with the condition.

When I was 15 and it was discovered that I had the condition, my doctor wanted to perform a splenectomy then. My parents were against this because my immunity to certain illnesses would decrease without having a spleen. I guess I adopted their theory and at 23, while having my gallbladder removed, the dr's suggested to play it safe and remove the spleen as well. If I'm remembering correctly, I don't think they were yet able to perform a laprascopic splenectomy at that time, so it would have been a major surgery.

I don't know if I made the right decision or not. I know that I am healthier now than I ever have been before, but always cautious and aware and careful when I get sick to take extra good care of myself.

Also, I am curious from your posts in this thread... are you a doctor? :dunno:

Well, thanks. I wanted to know as much as possible about it so that I could remain healthy and reduce or prevent any problems associated with the condition.

When I was 15 and it was discovered that I had the condition, my doctor wanted to perform a splenectomy then. My parents were against this because my immunity to certain illnesses would decrease without having a spleen. I guess I adopted their theory and at 23, while having my gallbladder removed, the dr's suggested to play it safe and remove the spleen as well. If I'm remembering correctly, I don't think they were yet able to perform a laprascopic splenectomy at that time, so it would have been a major surgery.

I don't know if I made the right decision or not. I know that I am healthier now than I ever have been before, but always cautious and aware and careful when I get sick to take extra good care of myself.

Also, I am curious from your posts in this thread... are you a doctor? :dunno:

Yes

Yes

I had no idea. What's your area of practice?

Keep the stones and make jewelry out of them and auction them off here. I'm sure some of the Lonely Hearts would pay big money for them.

I had no idea. What's your area of practice?

I don't really like to share personal information over the internet, but JK and I got into a sissy slap fight the other day and he called me out on my job and education so I had to tell.

Invasive Cardiology

I don't really like to share personal information over the internet, but JK and I got into a sissy slap fight the other day and he called me out on my job and education so I had to tell.

Invasive Cardiology

Didn't mean to pry and thanks for sharing.

... :lol:

They actually wanted to do some genetics testing on myself and my baby while I was pregnant, and I didn't want them to. We planned to have the baby regardless if he/she has this problem.

What an interesting field you work in!!! I had no idea you were a doctor.

Invasive Cardiology

And JK = jerryskids? Or JimyKrackedKorn?

If it was jerryskids, I didn't think that he really got involved in the sissy slap fights unless it was with SUX and they were arguing over Saw. :dunno:

They actually wanted to do some genetics testing on myself and my baby while I was pregnant, and I didn't want them to. We planned to have the baby regardless if he/she has this problem.

What an interesting field you work in!!! I had no idea you were a doctor.

And JK = jerryskids? Or JimyKrackedKorn?

If it was jerryskids, I didn't think that he really got involved in the sissy slap fights unless it was with SUX and they were arguing over Saw. :thumbsup:

Jerryskids. We have had a couple actually. It's a fun way to pass the time, and he is pretty good at it.

Invasive Cardiology

Cool, my company probably makes some of the sh!t you use. :cry: