Sign in to follow this  
Beggars

Patriots sign Stallworth

Stallworth, Patriots agree to deal

Free-agent receiver Donte' Stallworth has agreed to terms with the Patriots on a six-year contract believed to be worth a little more than $30 million, a league source tells ESPN.com's Michael Smith. The former Eagle also turned down the Dolphins and Titans.

6 years? :cheers: , I hope there isn't a lot of guaranteed $$. This guy is over-rated but the Pats don't have many options. I know a lot of Pats fans will be :thumbsdown: but I'm not thrilled to sign long term a speed guy with constant hammy issues who can't block, has hands of stone, has alligator arms, and has some sort of substance abuse issues. I know, I know if not him then who else? I don't care, he's not the solution either and this move is out of desperation.

ETA: 12 mil guaranteed. Now I really don't like it. The only deal we should have gave him should have been incentive filled. Hopefully there is at least a clause about being suspended for the substance issue.

me thinks this makes Stallworth's value go DOWN...

on PHI, he was the #1 WR last year on a team that LOVES to throw the ball and didn't really have any other WRs that were developed...

Now he goes to a NE team w/ a balanced offense that spreads the ball around... so in the 12-14 games he actually plays he won't be getting as many looks, and won't necessarily be getting all the deep looks he did in PHI...

i'm probably bumping him down to a #3 FF WR on my draft sheet...

Okay you come this close to going to the Superbowl again and you add to the team that lost that playoff game in INDY:

Adaluis Thomas OLB

Donte Stallworth WR

Rodney Harrison SS

Eugene Wilson FS

Wes Welker PR/WR

Kyle Brady TE

Sammy Morris RB

and

two 1st round picks!

(while losing your second best TE and your second best RB)

They are going for it this year!!!

They will win it all in 2007...no doubt.

No doubt about it.

Football wise: It's good to see that they know they couldn't get by with what hey had last year, the WR corps was certainly serviceable but theyscared NO ONE. N team was ever going to play them back and stallworth will force teams to play back. The question is can he stay healthy. I for one would have rather had drew Bennett, I am less then thrilled with the contract.

fantasy: He'll put up Branch numbers if healthy, good numbers nothing out of this world. I think overall it will Help Maroney, Watson & Brady more in terms of stats. Stretching that field can only help with all of their production. It will open the middle of the field for Watson, which will also take a man out of the box for Maroney.

Seem like the Pats are trying to go all out for this season.

With how long Stallworth was out there and the fact that the Eagles didn't resign him, I figured he was going to sign one of those one year incentive contracts and try to strike it big next year if he proved to stay healthy for a full year.

Imagine Bellicheck with Stallworth's injury report. Mark this guy down as a don't draft. He will be questionable with a hammy every week even if he is healthy.

Definately favourites going in at this point.

The contract may prove to be a bad one, but it was a glaring weakness and they had the cap room.

The Pats are not going for it this year...it's the next five years. I firmly believe that with Brady turning 30 this year they know they have a five year window to accomplish some historical stuff. Once Brady is gone all bets are off. They were close the last two years but they needed more big play ability/athleticism. With Thomas, Welker, Stallworth and two first round picks all three facets of the game will now be vastly improved in this area.

Also, I believe the Pats are aware that with the cap going up so much the bargain shopping will be limited for the next year or two. There's too many teams with big cap space to expect players to play for less. They will find someone to give them good money.

As for Stallworth there are risks. They are well documented and the fact he's getting solid money makes it even more risky. Yet, the Pats have been searching for a big play threat since BB came onboard. The closest they have come was David Patten. Stallworth brings something that this offense has never really had. If he starts stretching the field that will open up a ton of space for Welker, Troy, Gaffney, Caldwell, Watson, Thomas, Maroney, Faulk, Evans ans Morris and Brady will be absolutely deadly in that scenario. So, while Stallworth is a risk what he brings to the table is the missing piece to their offense. Should Jax get his head out of his butt this offense could be even more deadly.

This team has a chance to really do some big/historical stuff in the next five years and as a Patriot fan I could not be more happy with the committment they are showing to their fans.

Just giving a great QB another solid option to target. Very nice pick up by the pats IMO.

The Pats are not going for it this year...it's the next five years. I firmly believe that with Brady turning 30 this year they know they have a five year window to accomplish some historical stuff. Once Brady is gone all bets are off. They were close the last two years but they needed more big play ability/athleticism. With Thomas, Welker, Stallworth and two first round picks all three facets of the game will now be vastly improved in this area.

Also, I believe the Pats are aware that with the cap going up so much the bargain shopping will be limited for the next year or two. There's too many teams with big cap space to expect players to play for less. They will find someone to give them good money.

As for Stallworth there are risks. They are well documented and the fact he's getting solid money makes it even more risky. Yet, the Pats have been searching for a big play threat since BB came onboard. The closest they have come was David Patten. Stallworth brings something that this offense has never really had. If he starts stretching the field that will open up a ton of space for Welker, Troy, Gaffney, Caldwell, Watson, Thomas, Maroney, Faulk, Evans ans Morris and Brady will be absolutely deadly in that scenario. So, while Stallworth is a risk what he brings to the table is the missing piece to their offense. Should Jax get his head out of his butt this offense could be even more deadly.

This team has a chance to really do some big/historical stuff in the next five years and as a Patriot fan I could not be more happy with the committment they are showing to their fans.

How many message boards are you gonna post this "5 year dominance" on?

Anyway, the rest of your team is OLD. Thomas is 30 when the season begins so there is no infusion of youth here. Stallworth is a panic signing.

Your window is the next 2 years not 5 years. But the AFC is stacked with teams that can beat them any given Sunday so to presume a 5 year dominating run is a bit premature and over-exagerated.

Now is the media gonna keep talking the Pats up as a team that drafts well and just plugs anyone in to start? Or should they rightly show that the Pats are essentially scrapping that plan this offseason? Pats decided against rebuilding the way they used to do it and went the Daniel Snyder way of free agent signing.

Just a hunch, Bellicheck retires after this SB win

What superbowl win? :rolleyes: Man talk about an overreaction thread.

Anyway, the rest of your team is OLD. Thomas is 30 when the season begins so there is no infusion of youth here. Stallworth is a panic signing.

Your window is the next 2 years not 5 years.

i see your point, but on the other hand...how many of the current pats were on their first super bowl team? i don't know but i suspect there's been a sizable turnover. my point being that the pats, current management and coach, have proven their ability to sustain a championship-caliber team year in and year out in the current system (which is remarkable).

thus until proven otherwise, they are contenders and will be contenders. i think the evidence is more of them continuing to be contenders in the future rather than saying they have _________years only left of being contenders.

it's kind of like the lions, only in an opposite way. the lions won't be contenders until they prove otherwise. the pats will be contenders until they prove they aren't. and i surely wouldn't take any bet that says "the pats only have a window of 2 more years or so."

i see your point, but on the other hand...how many of the current pats were on their first super bowl team? i don't know but i suspect there's been a sizable turnover. my point being that the pats, current management and coach, have proven their ability to sustain a championship-caliber team year in and year out in the current system (which is remarkable).

thus until proven otherwise, they are contenders and will be contenders. i think the evidence is more of them continuing to be contenders in the future rather than saying they have _________years only left of being contenders.

it's kind of like the lions, only in an opposite way. the lions won't be contenders until they prove otherwise. the pats will be contenders until they prove they aren't.

Oh they will be contenders for sure, but so will Indy, Cincy, SD, etc. But this is not news. I don't think anyone expected NE to fall off the face of the earth especially when they almost got to the Superbowl last season. But stretching this group of free agent signings into a projected 5 year dominance doesn't compute.

How does this compare with the money Branch wanted? I don't see him as an upgrade over Branch.

Your window is the next 2 years not 5 years. But the AFC is stacked with teams that can beat them any given Sunday so to presume a 5 year dominating run is a bit premature and over-exagerated.

Now is the media gonna keep talking the Pats up as a team that drafts well and just plugs anyone in to start? Or should they rightly show that the Pats are essentially scrapping that plan this offseason? Pats decided against rebuilding the way they used to do it and went the Daniel Snyder way of free agent signing.

It doesn't matter what the Pats do you will be negative about it. Please look at the roster and you will see they only have four offensive members 30 or older (Faulk, Kyle Brady, Neal and Troy) and their oldest D-lineman is 28. The LBs are older but BB is a veteran LB guy.

12 Tom Brady QB 29 6-4 225 7 Michigan

16 Matt Cassel QB 24 6-4 225 2 USC

33 Kevin Faulk RB 30 5-8 202 8 LSU

- Quadtrine Hill RB 24 6-2 221 R Miami (FL)

39 Laurence Maroney RB 22 5-11 220 R Minnesota

31 Sammy Morris RB 29 6-0 218 7 Texas Tech

44 Heath Evans FB 28 6-0 250 6 Auburn

45 Garrett Mills FB 23 6-1 235 R Tulsa

35 Patrick Pass FB 29 5-10 217 7 Georgia

87 Reche Caldwell WR 27 6-0 210 5 Florida

13 Bam Childress WR 24 5-10 185 1 Ohio State

10 Jabar Gaffney WR 26 6-1 205 5 Florida

17 Chad Jackson WR 22 6-1 215 R Florida

19 Kelvin Kight WR 24 6-0 209 1 Florida

83 Wes Welker WR 25 5-9 185 3 Texas Tech

80 Kyle Brady TE 35 6-6 280 12 Penn State

45 Matt Kranchick TE 27 6-7 260 3 Penn State

88 O.J. Santiago TE 32 6-7 265 7 Kent State

86 David Thomas TE 23 6-3 248 R Texas

84 Benjamin Watson TE 26 6-3 255 3 Georgia

62 Brian Barthelmes C 24 6-6 300 R Virginia

67 Dan Koppen C 27 6-2 296 4 Boston College

64 Gene Mruczkowski C 26 6-2 305 4 Purdue

66 Lonie Paxton C 28 6-2 260 7 Sacramento State

71 Russ Hochstein G 29 6-4 305 6 Nebraska

70 Logan Mankins G 25 6-4 310 2 Fresno State

61 Stephen Neal G 30 6-4 305 5 Cal State Bakersfield

68 Ryan O'Callaghan G 23 6-7 330 R California

74 Billy Yates G 26 6-2 305 3 Texas A&M

65 Wesley Britt OT 25 6-8 320 1 Alabama

70 Sean Bubin OT 26 6-7 307 R Illinois

77 Nick Kaczur OT 27 6-4 315 2 Toledo

72 Matt Light OT 28 6-4 305 6 Purdue

Defense

NUM NAME POS AGE HT WT EXP COLLEGE

25 Artrell Hawkins DE 30 5-10 195 9 Cincinnati

91 Marquise Hill DE 24 6-6 300 3 LSU

90 LeKevin Smith DT 24 6-1 308 R Nebraska

92 Santonio Thomas DT 25 6-4 305 1 Miami (FL)

75 Vince Wilfork DT 25 6-2 325 3 Miami (FL)

97 Jarvis Green DL 28 6-3 285 5 LSU

93 Richard Seymour DL 27 6-6 310 6 Georgia

94 Ty Warren DL 26 6-5 300 4 Texas A&M

99 Mike Wright DL 25 6-4 295 2 Cincinnati

52 Eric Alexander LB 25 6-2 240 2 LSU

54 Tedy Bruschi LB 33 6-1 247 11 Arizona

59 Rosevelt Colvin LB 29 6-3 250 8 Purdue

51 Don Davis LB 34 6-1 235 11 Kansas

47 Barry Gardner LB 30 6-1 245 8 Northwestern

53 Larry Izzo LB 32 5-10 228 11 Rice

46 Corey Mays LB 23 6-1 245 R Notre Dame

55 Junior Seau LB 38 6-3 248 17 USC

96 Adalius Thomas LB 29 6-2 270 7 Southern Miss

50 Mike Vrabel LB 31 6-4 261 10 Ohio State

58 Pierre Woods LB 25 6-5 250 R Michigan

23 Willie Andrews CB 23 5-10 195 R Baylor

21 Randall Gay CB 24 5-11 190 3 LSU

27 Ellis Hobbs CB 23 5-9 190 2 Iowa State

22 Asante Samuel CB 26 5-10 185 4 UCF

30 Chad Scott CB 32 6-1 205 10 Maryland

31 Antwain Spann CB 24 6-0 190 1 Louisiana-Lafayette

26 Eugene Wilson DB 26 5-10 195 4 Illinois

32 Rashad Baker S 25 5-10 198 3 Tennessee

37 Rodney Harrison S 34 6-1 220 13 Western Illinois

34 Tebucky Jones S 32 6-2 220 9 Syracuse

24 Mel Mitchell S 28 6-1 225 5 Western Kentucky

36 James Sanders S 23 5-10 210 2 Fresno State

Oh they will be contenders for sure, but so will Indy, Cincy, SD, etc. But this is not news. I don't think anyone expected NE to fall off the face of the earth especially when they almost got to the Superbowl last season. But stretching this group of free agent signings into a projected 5 year dominance doesn't compute.

i too don't think the signings vault them into some elite category; rather, they've always been solid contenders and will continue to be so in the future. simple as that.

How does this compare with the money Branch wanted? I don't see him as an upgrade over Branch.

The money is very similar to the deal Brancch signed in Seattle. I see Stallworth and Branch as pretty comparable, so the money seems right to me. But which would you rather have? Branch or Stallworth and a late 1st rounder?

I think you're the one that threw the "dominance" part in there. :doublethumbsup:

What I got from Boston's post is that the Pats will be a serious contender for the SB for the next five years (which coincides with Brady's window).

I love the Thomas signing, and like Welker and Stallworth on the roster (but not crazy about the price tags).

But as far as the team being "OLD", as Boston points out, there are very few players over 30. Hardly old :huh:

Your team is old

While there are many jumping the gun....They are not old. They are a young team that is old at ILB and Strong safety.

as for Stallworth and Welker, they are not panic signings...they are players at a position of need that are prototypes for their system...shorter, quicker recievers that are good with the ball in their hands and can play all three WR spots/be versatile.

as for the Window of opportunity, its there as long as Brady is the QB. When he goes, he takes the window with him.

Okay you come this close to going to the Superbowl again and you add to the team that lost that playoff game in INDY:

Adaluis Thomas OLB

Donte Stallworth WR

Rodney Harrison SS

Eugene Wilson FS

Wes Welker PR/WR

Kyle Brady TE

Sammy Morris RB

and

two 1st round picks!

(while losing your second best TE and your second best RB)

Please take Brady and Morris off this list please..good lord. I agree your team is set up well, but c'mon.

I wanted the Eagles to resign Stallworth but I knew he was going to get this kind of contract.

Stallworth is blazing fast and can be a gamebreaker. He's also injured a lot and apparently has some substance abuse issues, although I should point out he played the good soldier in Philly and never whined or complained like some other primadonna WRs I should mention. I'd have liked to see him paired with Reggie Brown and Baskett for another year but the Eagles are short on cap room and I knew some team was going to pay Dante more than he's worth.

It's a good signing for the Patriots. Realistically Dante is not worth the kind of money they're paying him, but New England is flush with cap space and added a deep threat. I'm wondering if they change up the offense at all to account for him? The Eagles played to his strengths with the downfield passing game but I'm not sure how Stallworth will fit into an offense that features lots of screens and slants.

Oh well. Good luck to Dante Stallworth, he gave Philly a good season.

I think you're the one that threw the "dominance" part in there. :dunno:

What I got from Boston's post is that the Pats will be a serious contender for the SB for the next five years (which coincides with Brady's window).

I love the Thomas signing, and like Welker and Stallworth on the roster (but not crazy about the price tags).

But as far as the team being "OLD", as Boston points out, there are very few players over 30. Hardly old :doh:

Exactly. They have put them themselves in a position to be among the NFL elite for the near future. They went to the AFC Championship last year and at least on paper the 2007 team looks to have the potential to be much better.

6 years? :dunno: , I hope there isn't a lot of guaranteed $$. This guy is over-rated but the Pats don't have many options.

In all, it's a one-year $3.6 million deal that can be worth up to $4 million, or a two-year, $14.6 million deal that can be worth as much as $15 million, or a three-year, $19.6 million deal that can be worth as much as $20 million.

The Pats can then add on additional years at $4.5 million each, with a maximum contract value of $33.5 million.

But the only truly guaranteed money is $1 million. Not $12 million.

profootballtalk.com

Exactly. They have put them themselves in a position to be among the NFL elite for the near future. They went to the AFC Championship last year and at least on paper the 2007 team looks to have the potential to be much better.

i think its the tone/wording that is throwing off some readers, but its all interpretation.

i hear you in saying the club has improved form last yr, and will remain competitive for the playoffs and top prize for the next few seasons. some heard it as "the pats will dominate for 5 straight yrs".

in essence, their 3 main signings are solid, but not ultimate. thomas obviously fits the bill because of his versatility, but the pats have been doing that for a while (ie mcginest played line and backer, don davis played backer and some safety).

im not so sure welker brings any more marginal utility to the team than anyone they already had. in the end, he is an overachieving special teamer who plays offense and juices the crowd. the pats have 10 guys like that. even mike furrey can grab 70 and post 1000yds. we've seen troy brown do it, albeit with a sub-10yd avg. its not a gamebreaker move, just a lateral one.

as for stallworth: i had him his rookie yr, and he was my bonus in a deep league, so his 8tds helped. we've heard the stories and seen his track record as far as health. yes, he is a bonafide deep threat, and better than the ones the pats have tried (ie andre davis, bethel johnson, tim dwight, etc); yet, is he any different from those guys? can he be a wr1? then again, in new england, is there a wr1? furthermore, is the offense/run game that much better with stalls as a deep threat but without dillon? true, he (dillon) was older and slower, but he ground out tough yds and posted tons of tds (36-37 i think). have we really seen anything from maroney, outside of the flash of a 125-2 game last yr? he didnt exactly blow it up when he had the lineup all to himself in the games dillon didnt play.

not to take away from the always aggressive and cognizant offseason of the pats, but i think it would surely be premature to crown them anything just yet, except heavy competitors in their conference for the big game. i know thats what your sentiment was, and i agree.

[the pats clone team (jets) made a significant effort/trade to move from a 19-headed hb committee to just a 1-headed solo hb operation. might be interesting to see what that kind of consistency brings them.]

Here are the terms...pretty limited exposure for the Pats. They get a test drive in year one and than can decide if they want to commit long term.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2794615

His agent should be shot for doing a deal like this. Does anyone really think, with the Pats history, that Stallworth will see anything past the first 3mil plus?

His agent should be shot for doing a deal like this. Does anyone really think, with the Pats history, that Stallworth will see anything past the first 3mil plus?

:dunno:

I disagree. The guy made the rounds and didn't jump on the Pats offer until he saw what everyone else brought to the table. This was probably the best situation for him. This offer allows him to rehab his image in a productive environment. If all goes well either the Pats pay him very well or he hits free agency with more clout. Looking at what Branch, Givens and Patten got there's no reason to think he won't cash in if he keeps his nose clean. Whether it's with the Pats or another team will be the big question.

what a steal!!

again they get a player for BELOW market value b/c that player wants to play for the Patriots.

awesome

I think it's a good deal by the agent. No one was going to offer a guy who is likely in the substance abuse program and has a history of injuries a big long term contract. It's believed the Eagles were only offering him a one year deal, and I seriously doubt anyone was offering anything more than a "let's see". At least this way the agent can claim to have negotiated a $30M deal for his client.

I don't think this Stallworth signing changes anything. FF-wise, he won't put up great numbers, and NFL-wise, Pats fans will still be whining about how Brady's WRs suck at the end of the season.

Too bad the next Super Bowl takes place in 2008.

I don't think this Stallworth signing changes anything. FF-wise, he won't put up great numbers, and NFL-wise, Pats fans will still be whining about how Brady's WRs suck at the end of the season.

Too bad the next Super Bowl takes place in 2008.

2007 season, is it not? :dunno:

I don't think that the Patriots have to worry about Stallworth's injury history. A freak injury will hit anyone, but the Patriots aren't going to drive him into the ground. They spread the ball, everyone knows this. Stallworth isn't going to have to worry about killing himself on every play to move the chains. Stallworth just needs to save his energy every few plays with the occasional deep threat. This is why the Pats weren't sweating bullets when Branch left. They don't need a WR1. Now that they have one again, it just a plus, another weapon. Its not the end all be all of the offense.

Substance abuse, yeah this makes me a little nervous. However I'm sure that the Patriots completely investigate Stallworth before they hired him. If he's a bust they don't have to pick up his second year option.

I'm not going to say that this move is going to seal another SB. However, I am damn happy at the moves they've made so far while still having two first round picks. Now I am wondering with the addition of Stallworth do the Patriots cash in their two first rounders and trade up. I'm not sure what they have for cap room, but they should still be able to afford a nice signing bonus and intial contract for a top rookie.

I don't think that the Patriots have to worry about Stallworth's injury history. A freak injury will hit anyone, but the Patriots aren't going to drive him into the ground. They spread the ball, everyone knows this. Stallworth isn't going to have to worry about killing himself on every play to move the chains. Stallworth just needs to save his energy every few plays with the occasional deep threat. This is why the Pats weren't sweating bullets when Branch left. They don't need a WR1. Now that they have one again, it just a plus, another weapon. Its not the end all be all of the offense.

Substance abuse, yeah this makes me a little nervous. However I'm sure that the Patriots completely investigate Stallworth before they hired him. If he's a bust they don't have to pick up his second year option.

I'm not going to say that this move is going to seal another SB. However, I am damn happy at the moves they've made so far while still having two first round picks. Now I am wondering with the addition of Stallworth do the Patriots cash in their two first rounders and trade up. I'm not sure what they have for cap room, but they should still be able to afford a nice signing bonus and intial contract for a top rookie.

They signed Morris too, whose next offense gets him a year suspension.

Did he pull his hammy signing the paperwork?