Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Pete Rose admits to betting on Reds every night

Pete Rose revealed Wednesday that he bet on the Reds "every night" while he was manager of the team and that the Dowd Report was correct when it said he did so.

Rose Appearing on the Dan Patrick Show on ESPN Radio, Pete Rose said he bet on the Reds to win every night while he was their manager because he believed in his team.

Rose spoke Wednesday with Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann on ESPN Radio to discuss the new Pete Rose exhibit that will be on display at the Great American Ballpark as part of the Reds Hall of Fame. The exhibit will be on display for 11 months.

"I bet on my team every night. I didn't bet on my team four nights a week. I was wrong," Rose said.

Rose said that he believed in his team so much that he bet on them to win every night.

"I bet on my team to win every night because I love my team, I believe in my team," Rose said. "I did everything in my power every night to win that game."

Rose accepted a lifetime ban for gambling in 1989, but denied for nearly 15 years that he bet on baseball. He finally acknowledged in his latest autobiography, published in January 2004, that he made baseball wagers while he managed the Cincinnati Reds.

Rose said he doesn't worry about getting into the Hall of Fame anymore, but if he is reinstated, he hopes to manage again in the majors.

"I quit worrying about it," Rose said about the Hall. The former Reds great said that he thought he was going to be reinstated when he met with commissioner Bud Selig before his book came out. Rose said he met with Selig about a year before the book came out and told him everything that was in the book.

"I really thought I was going to be reinstated. Something changed [selig's] mind," Rose said.

Rose said he believes it should be up to each individual owner whether he should manage in the majors again.

"[it's] all about dollars, Dan and Keith. If I was ever reinstated. If an owner don't want to win and draw people, don't call my number," Rose said.

Major League Baseball's Hit King also said he thinks that Mark McGwire is getting a raw deal from the writers voting for the Hall of Fame. The reason he said he supported McGwire is because nothing has been proven and they're all "allegations."

"Don't penalize McGwire because you think other guys are taking steroids," Rose said.

McGwire wasn't voted into the Hall of Fame in his first appearance on the ballot in January because of allegations he used performance-enhancing drugs in his career.

Rose admits he made a mistake in betting on baseball.

"I made a big mistake. It's my fault, It's nobody's else's fault," Rose said. However, he said he should be reinstated because "I'm the best ambassador baseball has."

Because of the ban, Rose is not eligible for induction into the Reds' or Baseball's Hall of Fame. He also is not allowed to be involved in most on-field activities, which has prevented the Reds from retiring his uniform No. 14.

Major League Baseball did include him in two events -- 1999's All-Century Team and 2002's 30 Memorable Moments -- that were sponsored by a credit card company.

The new exhibit includes more than 300 items from the career of Rose, who finished playing in 1986 with a record 4,256 hits. His total is reflected at the Reds' Hall in a three-story high wall of baseballs -- one for each hit.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

:dunno:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2798498

:dunno:

I'm tired of this hasbeen.

He has lied lied lied all through this entire thing.

I am sure he bet on the Reds to lose, and tried to MAKE them lose. I will never believe otherwise.

It's a shame. Such a great player, but a guy outside of the diamond that is one complete piece of crap.

Until it comes out that he bet against the Reds, I don't see how this changes anything.

that guy is so full of sh!t.

1st he lies to everyone about gambling.

Then he admits to gambling but ONLY in his waning years of eligibility for HOF consideration and ONLY to profit from his book.

Now he comes out with some half cocked story about only betting on his team to win because he was so confident in them - what a focking liar. He gambled on his team because he was a focking gambling addict. He gambled on his team because he was weak willed, spineless, devoid of a moral compass and thought he was above the rules.

Fock Pete Rose. That ###### was one of my dad's favorite athletes and he broke his heart with his bullsh!t. My dad was one of those who thought he might have done it, but took him at his word for 20 years listening to him deny it. Then when he came out and admitted it, my dad was crushed.

Clearly this is some half-assed denial by Rose - a half apology. "I did it but my heart was in the right place" - he's still deluding himself after all these years...it's not Pete's fault, see - he's a good guy after all. He just loved his team too much.

N!gger, please. :dunno:

Until it comes out that he bet against the Reds, I don't see how this changes anything.

And this is precisely the reaction that Rose is trying to get. Congrats - you've been duped.

See, the problem is that he bet on baseball while an active manager. He broke the cardinal rule of the sport, posted on every clubhouse door in the majors & minors.

So it doesn't matter in the slightest WHAT he bet on in his sport - he bet on his sport. Verdict: a-hole loser focknut sh!tbag.

Pete Rose = :dunno:

Right.

it's ok because he bet FOR his team, not against it.

PETE YOU ARE FORGIVEN. IT'S OK, WE WERE JUST KIDDING!

Pete Rose is the GFIAFP of MLB

He's a POS. Take your life time ban like a man and stop being a puzzy about it.

Every few years it's a new half truth.

He's a POS. Take your life time ban like a man and stop being a puzzy about it.

Every few years it's a new half truth.

In his defense he was lied to. he deserves it though, scumbag

Right.

it's ok because he bet FOR his team, not against it.

PETE YOU ARE FORGIVEN. IT'S OK, WE WERE JUST KIDDING!

Pete Rose is the GFIAFP of MLB

Nobody says it is okay, but it is not any relevant news that changes anything. So we thought he sometimes bet on the Reds, now we know he bet on the Reds all the time. What is the big deal? What is so astonishing about that? He bet on baseball, this is nothing new. :dunno:

Now if it came out that he bet against the Reds and was throwing games then that is a news story.

Edjr, ragging on Pete Rose all the while defending an equally worthless POS in Barry Bonds. CRASSIC!!!!

:clap:

If you were his bookie and knew he bet 'for' them most of the time, don't you think that him NOT BETTING one night would tell you something? I do.

Huh?

Nobody says it is okay, but it is not any relevant news that changes anything. So we thought he sometimes bet on the Reds, now we know he bet on the Reds all the time. What is the big deal? What is so astonishing about that? He bet on baseball, this is nothing new. :clap:

Now if it came out that he bet against the Reds and was throwing games then that is a news story.

How do we even know it's true he bet on the reds every night? He's never been truthful with anyone because he's a scumbag

How do we even know it's true he bet on the reds every night? He's never been truthful with anyone because he's a scumbag

He was truthful with his bookie while placing his bets. :clap:

If you were his bookie and knew he bet 'for' them most of the time, don't you think that him NOT BETTING one night would tell you something? I do.

Huh?

Maybe he didn't like the line/price of said game, or maybe he was busy that day? Who the hell knows. His inside knowledge obviously didn't work to good since he lost more bets than he won.

Edjr, ragging on Pete Rose all the while defending an equally worthless POS in Barry Bonds. CRASSIC!!!!

:clap:

How many people have cheated on baseball?

how many people have used steroids?

OWNT!

We really don't know. A lying scumbag he is, but Pete was also a fierce competitor. The fact that he lied about everything, bet on baseball ect. never suprised me. What would suprise me is if Pete Rose bet against himself.

I grew up in the pete rose era in cincy. the one constant was he NEVER bet against the reds. he was a true gamer. not saying it was ok, but they had every bookie he placed bets with, even guys who hated his guts but they always said he would always bet FOR the reds. If he bet against them, someone would be more than happy to roll on him, but they couldn't. he was a jerk, a liar, ect but it is a fact he never bet against his team, they turned over every rock in the country trying to burn him on it but couldn't find a single instance, and as i said before they knew EVERYONE he bet with. they were obsessed with him.just put the guy in the hall and he will go away. :clap:

How many people have cheated on baseball?

how many people have used steroids?

OWNT!

I'm sure others have bet on baseball. Just like others besides Bonds have done steroids. And anyone caught doing either should be punished, not defended. Thanks for proving my point :clap:

I grew up in the pete rose era in cincy. the one constant was he NEVER bet against the reds. he was a true gamer. not saying it was ok, but they had every bookie he placed bets with, even guys who hated his guts but they always said he would always bet FOR the reds. If he bet against them, someone would be more than happy to roll on him, but they couldn't. he was a jerk, a liar, ect but it is a fact he never bet against his team, they turned over every rock in the country trying to burn him on it but couldn't find a single instance, and as i said before they knew EVERYONE he bet with. they were obsessed with him.just put the guy in the hall and he will go away. :clap:

He knew what would happen if he bet on baseball. It doesn't matter if it was for or against the reds. He got his life time ban and I hope he doesn't make it in until he dies and even then with a black mark on his record.

I'm sure others have bet on baseball. Just like others besides Bonds have done steroids. And anyone caught doing either should be punished, not defended. Thanks for proving my point :clap:

Link to bonds being banned from baseball?

Hahah, you're like a punching dummy, you don't even move out of the way.

Link to bonds being banned from baseball?

Hahah, you're like a punching dummy, you don't even move out of the way.

He should be banned from baseball. It's a shame that he's not. But he'll pay his price when his big old head explodes.

I'm tired of the whole Rose storyline; and his statement that he is baseball's best ambassador is absolutely ridiculous. He lied for years about gambling as a manager; and he probably only admitted to it to help sale his book and in hopes that an admission would get him in the good graces of HoF voters.

However, with all that said, I think he SHOULD be in the Hall-of-Fame if he never bet on baseball while he was a player. I don't see why we can't separate Rose as player from Rose as manager. We do draw those ehtical separations for other players--the most common example being Ty Cobb who was a GREAT player but apparently the biggest bigot/racist/arsehole ever.

IMO, Rose's legacy in the Hall of Fame should be two-fold:

1. One of baseball's best players

2. One of baseball's worst managers/personalities

Just my 2 cents... :clap:

1. One of baseball's best [/b]players

2. One of baseball's worst managers/personalities

Just my 2 cents... :clap:

I agree with this, but I'm willing to wait until he dies. He should get no stisfaction from his introduction into the hall. What he did could destroy the game more so then steroids, and could have turn the game into WWE sports entertainment.

here's something about betting for your team to win that matters, which some here are apparently not considering...

say you have $20K on a game, and you are managing that game.

As a manager, you're responsible for the kind of game you manage - do you play station to station, stealing bags and bunting runners over, or do you sit back and let your boys swing for the fences hoping for the 3 run HR?

Likewise, how do you use or overuse your pitching staff. What if you had used your closer 3 nights in a row and he needed a rest because he was starting to get fatigued. After all, closers are somewhat fragile, they throw very hard for 1 inning and then rest. After a few consecutive games, especially in the later part of the season, they get fatigued as well.

But you have 20K riding on preserving that 3 run lead. Do you use your closer? any other night you might put in a lesser RP, who might give up a run. But in this game, the spread is 2, so your team needs to win by 3.

Think about it. You put in that RP against better judgement, he gets his 3 outs and you win the $, but later learns that he tore a ligament and needs surgery.

And that's the problem. Betting is a NOW thing. Baseball is a 5 month season. Even when betting for your team to win, you may sacrifice the season to do what's in your selfish best interest in the NOW.

Pete Rose is a POS regardless of who he bet on while managing the Reds. He bet on baseball while managing the Reds - period. Take your lifetime ban like a man and just STFU and go away already. :o

He was truthful with his bookie while placing his bets. :doublethumbsup:

Actually that's debatable. From what I understand they had to chase him down to get him to pay, he was a welcher also.

What Rose did is nothing compared to what the Baseball players of today do. If Rose was black, none of this would have happened to him. All he did was gamble on some games. Who the fock doesn't??

I'm not saying if he should be banned or not. But if they are gonna tar and feather him for that, they need to do something about all the BS that is happening now.

Starting with banning Barry Bonds. He should be taken out of the record books and banned from baseball for life. Ban his children and grandchildren from baseball as well. Bonds is an embarrasment to the sport.

They should also take Big Mac and Sammy the cheater Sosa forever too. Clean it up or leave Rose alone.

I'm not really a Pete Rose fan, but I think that he has paid is dues.

It's obvious that he will never be an active participant in MLB again. He's admitted to everything he was accused of, yet his bats, uniforms, shoes, gloves and whatnot adorn Cooperstown.

Why can't he sue MLB to keep his name out of the record books? Cooperstown should have to rename all of his stuff as "Unknown".

He broke Ty Cobb's record because he was a great hitter. Not because he gambled on baseball.

I was for the guy for a very long time. I can remember saying "who gives a flock if he bet on things - as long as it wasn't baseball - as long as it wasn't his own team - WTF does it matter?"

The guy lied to me & everyone else. I'm focking through with him. :doublethumbsup:

Baseball is so horribly corrupt, so utterly ruined by the players union, and so completely mismanged by ownership it is unworthy of our attention.

I have not watched a beasball game, let alone go to one, since the strike back in the 1990's.

The players, owners and umpires can all go fock themselves, I hope the league just folds, just dies and whithers away...

I'm sure others have bet on baseball. Just like others besides Bonds have done steroids. And anyone caught doing either should be punished, not defended. Thanks for proving my point :thumbsdown:

and im sure pete took speed and whatever else was big in the day....

im not even that annoyed by his cheating..as stupid as it was...

the fact that he lied ruins it..once someone lies a lot..you can never ever believe them...

plus, he was a ###### for blasting into ray fosse in an all star game...

as soon as one of his bookies comes and shoots him dead..then..he will be put in the hall of fame..but they wont let him enjoy it while alive..

and im sure pete took speed and whatever else was big in the day....

im not even that annoyed by his cheating..as stupid as it was...

the fact that he lied ruins it..once someone lies a lot..you can never ever believe them...

plus, he was a ###### for blasting into ray fosse in an all star game...

as soon as one of his bookies comes and shoots him dead..then..he will be put in the hall of fame..but they wont let him enjoy it while alive..

...and as we all know, there is no competition allowed in all-star games. Imagine how much the probowl would suck if that were the case.

Baseball is so horribly corrupt, so utterly ruined by the players union, and so completely mismanged by ownership it is unworthy of our attention.

I have not watched a beasball game, let alone go to one, since the strike back in the 1990's.

The players, owners and umpires can all go fock themselves, I hope the league just folds, just dies and whithers away...

Then you're old and crotchety.

Did you also resist the VCR becasuse it was made in Japan?

Get over it. It was 13 years ago.

:banana:

Get over it. It was 13 years ago.

No.

here's something about betting for your team to win that matters, which some here are apparently not considering...

say you have $20K on a game, and you are managing that game.

As a manager, you're responsible for the kind of game you manage - do you play station to station, stealing bags and bunting runners over, or do you sit back and let your boys swing for the fences hoping for the 3 run HR?

Likewise, how do you use or overuse your pitching staff. What if you had used your closer 3 nights in a row and he needed a rest because he was starting to get fatigued. After all, closers are somewhat fragile, they throw very hard for 1 inning and then rest. After a few consecutive games, especially in the later part of the season, they get fatigued as well.

But you have 20K riding on preserving that 3 run lead. Do you use your closer? any other night you might put in a lesser RP, who might give up a run. But in this game, the spread is 2, so your team needs to win by 3.

Think about it. You put in that RP against better judgement, he gets his 3 outs and you win the $, but later learns that he tore a ligament and needs surgery.

And that's the problem. Betting is a NOW thing. Baseball is a 5 month season. Even when betting for your team to win, you may sacrifice the season to do what's in your selfish best interest in the NOW.

Pete Rose is a POS regardless of who he bet on while managing the Reds. He bet on baseball while managing the Reds - period. Take your lifetime ban like a man and just STFU and go away already. :banana:

:lol:

I can't believe it took 23 posts before someone mentioned how detrimental to the players it can be for a manager to bet FOR his own team.

Either put Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame, or kick out and refuse to admit henceforth every alcoholic, wife-beating, cocaine-sniffing wanna thug that is in there now or heading there later.

Who the fock is Ted Robinson?

doh! :doh:

That's what i get for being up on my high horse...got a head rush from all that thin air.

Ted Williams, not Ted Robinson. Ted Robinson is a great sportscaster who does baseball, basketball, and tennis (wimbledon, among others) - I've met him on a few occasions and on the way in this morning heard him on the radio so he must've been fresh in my mind.

Doh!

Still - Ted WILLIAMS was a better hitter than Pete Rose. My bad. When Teddy Ballgame was 41, he batted .315 and hit over .400 twice. Pete Rose batted .348 once, his highest average.

Lifetime averages:

Rose: .303

Williams: .344

final 4 years of their careers as hitters:

Rose: .245, .286, .264, .219

Williams: .388, .328, .254*, .316

*injured

Williams played 19 seasons to Rose's 24 (partially because Williams fought for his country in WWII) - in that span, Williams had 1839 RBI to Rose's 1314 - in roughly half the ABs.

Williams drew 2021 walks to Rose's 1566

Williams had 521 HRs to Rose's 160

Again: half the ABs and far more production in RBI, HR, BB and ave.

Anyone saying Pete Rose was the best hitter ever has drank too much of the kool aid Rose has been selling all these years as the self-proclaimed "hit king". God I hate that focking jerk.

Also, since so many are on Pete's jock for his on field accomplishments, and trying to make the case for separating his "player period" from his "manager period", it's worth mentioning that those two overlapped. In fact, they overlapped to the point that his whole hit king rep is a sham. At the end of his career he was arguably the worst 1st baseman in the majors. He sucked - look it up. The end of his playing days were pathetic - a string of weak infield hits and seeing eye grounders that found a hole. He only broke the hits record by sucking out to it like the weasil he is. His old teammate Johnny Bench once commented that he was lucky that he had an idiot for a manager because no one else would have played him at that point in his career.

How exactly is Rose the best hitter of all time? Oh yeah - he sucked out to a record by inserting himself into the lineup 4 years past any rational thought would allow.

That's right - in his own selfish interest, Pete Rose kept a very talented young 1B on the bench to insert himself into the lineup and hurt his team in doing so - and it was counter to what he promised management when he accepted the position as player-manager in the 1st place.

Trivia time: Can anyone name the 1B he held back by sucking out to the hits record? :dunno:

(I will post it in a few hours if no one gets it)

Either put Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame, or kick out and refuse to admit henceforth every alcoholic, wife-beating, cocaine-sniffing wanna thug that is in there now or heading there later.

none of those things are against the rules of baseball. they are against the law, but not against the rules of baseball.

none of those things have the potential to destroy the integrity of what is presumed to be a fair contest. That is why Gambling, above and beyond all mortal sins, is the cardinal rule of baseball.

The argument of kicking out the HOFers for drinking or doing drugs is laughable - it's apples & oranges.

doh! :mad:

That's what i get for being up on my high horse...got a head rush from all that thin air.

Ted Williams, not Ted Robinson. Ted Robinson is a great sportscaster who does baseball, basketball, and tennis (wimbledon, among others) - I've met him on a few occasions and on the way in this morning heard him on the radio so he must've been fresh in my mind.

Doh!

Still - Ted WILLIAMS was a better hitter than Pete Rose. My bad. When Teddy Ballgame was 41, he batted .315 and hit over .400 twice. Pete Rose batted .348 once, his highest average.

Lifetime averages:

Rose: .303

Williams: .344

final 4 years of their careers as hitters:

Rose: .245, .286, .264, .219

Williams: .388, .328, .254*, .316

*injured

Williams played 19 seasons to Rose's 24 (partially because Williams fought for his country in WWII) - in that span, Williams had 1839 RBI to Rose's 1314 - in roughly half the ABs.

Williams drew 2021 walks to Rose's 1566

Williams had 521 HRs to Rose's 160

Again: half the ABs and far more production in RBI, HR, BB and ave.

Anyone saying Pete Rose was the best hitter ever has drank too much of the kool aid Rose has been selling all these years as the self-proclaimed "hit king". God I hate that focking jerk.

Also, since so many are on Pete's jock for his on field accomplishments, and trying to make the case for separating his "player period" from his "manager period", it's worth mentioning that those two overlapped. In fact, they overlapped to the point that his whole hit king rep is a sham. At the end of his career he was arguably the worst 1st baseman in the majors. He sucked - look it up. The end of his playing days were pathetic - a string of weak infield hits and seeing eye grounders that found a hole. He only broke the hits record by sucking out to it like the weasil he is. His old teammate Johnny Bench once commented that he was lucky that he had an idiot for a manager because no one else would have played him at that point in his career.

How exactly is Rose the best hitter of all time? Oh yeah - he sucked out to a record by inserting himself into the lineup 4 years past any rational thought would allow.

That's right - in his own selfish interest, Pete Rose kept a very talented young 1B on the bench to insert himself into the lineup and hurt his team in doing so - and it was counter to what he promised management when he accepted the position as player-manager in the 1st place.

Trivia time: Can anyone name the 1B he held back by sucking out to the hits record? :dunno:

(I will post it in a few hours if no one gets it)

none of those things are against the rules of baseball. they are against the law, but not against the rules of baseball.

none of those things have the potential to destroy the integrity of what is presumed to be a fair contest. That is why Gambling, above and beyond all mortal sins, is the cardinal rule of baseball.

The argument of kicking out the HOFers for drinking or doing drugs is laughable - it's apples & oranges.

Who cares?

Who would have gotten 4000 hits? Give him crack, or cocain or HTH. Who would have done it? There is no one even remotely close.

After you answer that, realize that Pete Rose didn't do drugs.

Pete Rose is a lying POS. But, you can not deny that he is the best hitter of all time. He's got Cy Young type numbers. 10 years of 420 hits per year. 20 years of 210 hits per year. Both stats are insane.

And all this was done BEFORE he bet on baseball.

This is like finding out that Jerry Rice bet on football.