Sign in to follow this  
Mephisto

Eagles (allegedly) ink Kevin Curtis to a deal...

I'm sure they overpaid for him. Probally a 3 year deal worth 36 million with 15 guaranteed.

the lions officially pulled out a couple of days ago when rod said he wanted players who wanted to be in detroit, not players he had to coax into coming to detroit.

i don't fault curtis for doing everything in his power to maximize his value and get a fat contract. this is his one shot to set himself up for life. i wish him the best. the lions simply weren't in a position to pay him the $$ he wanted.

the lions officially pulled out a couple of days ago when rod said he wanted players who wanted to be in detroit, not players he had to coax into coming to detroit.

i don't fault curtis for doing everything in his power to maximize his value and get a fat contract. this is his one shot to set himself up for life. i wish him the best. the lions simply weren't in a position to pay him the $$ he wanted.

:dunno: seriously who wouldn't you have to coax to come to detroit? Thats funny stuff :mad:

:D seriously who wouldn't you have to coax to come to detroit? Thats funny stuff :first:

:lol:

Also...Curtis apparently visited with the Titans earlier this week. I think his speed would've been a good addition; however, if the Eagles paid him as much I expect that they did, then I'm glad the Titans didn't overpay for an average #2, good #3 WR (as we already have several of those).

:D seriously who wouldn't you have to coax to come to detroit? Thats funny stuff :first:

yeah, i wrote that and knew that joke was coming. try harder than that.

yeah, i wrote that and knew that joke was coming. try harder than that.

what you wrote was the joke!

:D

Also...Curtis apparently visited with the Titans earlier this week. I think his speed would've been a good addition; however, if the Eagles paid him as much I expect that they did, then I'm glad the Titans didn't overpay for an average #2, good #3 WR (as we already have several of those).

yea I thought for sure he was going to the titans. Brandon Jones show now!

what you wrote was the joke!

yea I thought for sure he was going to the titans. Brandon Jones show now!

what i wrote was a quote

Curtis agreed to a six-year, $33 million contract. The deal includes $3 million in incentives and $9.5 million guaranteed.

good for you, curtis :wacko:

I'm not really sure what I think about this. Dante Stallworth was a legitimate addition to the WR corps. He could do things no other receiver on the team brought to the table. Maybe I don't know enough about Curtis, but is he really a burner? Because I thought Philly was very high on Hank Baskett. If so, why overpay for a veteran 2 or 3? It will be real interesting to see who's starting opposite Reggie Brown. This move might spell the end for Greg Lewis - he nearly got cut last year.

I'm not really sure what I think about this. Dante Stallworth was a legitimate addition to the WR corps. He could do things no other receiver on the team brought to the table. Maybe I don't know enough about Curtis, but is he really a burner? Because I thought Philly was very high on Hank Baskett. If so, why overpay for a veteran 2 or 3? It will be real interesting to see who's starting opposite Reggie Brown. This move might spell the end for Greg Lewis - he nearly got cut last year.

yes, curtis is very fast. for a white guy. :D

yes, curtis is very fast. for a white guy. :D

He sort of reminds me of James Thrash, who is at half white I think? Anyway, the signing can't hurt but I don't think this is a major deal by any stretch. They did need speed at WR but I'd have preferred they at least offer a deal to Stallworth, from what I read it sounds like they didn't even make an offer. Can't say I'm very excited that they're meeting with Ron Dayne either. From the picture on the Eagles' website it looks like he's been on the Warren Sapp diet.

He sort of reminds me of James Thrash, who is at half white I think? Anyway, the signing can't hurt but I don't think this is a major deal by any stretch. They did need speed at WR but I'd have preferred they at least offer a deal to Stallworth, from what I read it sounds like they didn't even make an offer. Can't say I'm very excited that they're meeting with Ron Dayne either. From the picture on the Eagles' website it looks like he's been on the Warren Sapp diet.

One thing for certain is that Stallworth had a difficult time staying on the field due to injuries throughout his career. I'd rather have a player a notch below in ability who can play 16 games and is entering the prime of his career.

I am seriously glad the Lions didn't over pay for this guy. He hasn't proven that much thus far. He has only started 11 games in 4 years with the Rams, caught 136 passes, and a little more than 1700 yards. He couldn't even beat out the old guy (34 year old) Isaac Bruce for the number 2 spots in St. Louis. Statistically, he was the 4th best receiver on the offense.

One thing for certain is that Stallworth had a difficult time staying on the field due to injuries throughout his career. I'd rather have a player a notch below in ability who can play 16 games and is entering the prime of his career.

I am not saying he can't, but Curtis has never started 16 games in a season as a number 1 or 2 receiver. He has much to prove.

The eagles allegedly made an offer to Jew Rosenhaus, but he didn't tell Duante. I had the "pleasure" of a conversation with Howard Eskin in Atlantic City on Tuesday, and he mentioned it. Joe Banner confirmed that they offered more guaranteed money than the Pats contract.

The Eagles also inked a one year deal with Bethel Johnson WR/KR. Curtis is also a pretty good KR. Sounds like to me they are trying to replace Reno Mahe's role as a KR/PR/RB to either release him or do something else with him???? Just a though.

Eagles sign WR-KR Bethel Johnson

Eagles sign WR-KR Bethel Johnson

March 8, 2007

PHILADELPHIA (TICKER) -- The Philadelphia Eagles on Thursday signed wide receiver-kick returner Bethel Johnson to a one-year contract.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

Johnson, 28, played in 11 games for Minnesota last season, catching nine passes for 156 yards. He also averaged 23.4 yards on 45 kickoff returns.

ADVERTISEMENT

In Philadelphia, Johnson could fill the role as the club's primary kickoff returner, a role held by Reno Mahe last season.

yes, curtis is very fast. for a white guy. :clap:

He ran a 4.42 for the utah state prodays back when he was in college. So not a burner, but not slow.

I am seriously glad the Lions didn't over pay for this guy. He hasn't proven that much thus far. He has only started 11 games in 4 years with the Rams, caught 136 passes, and a little more than 1700 yards. He couldn't even beat out the old guy (34 year old) Isaac Bruce for the number 2 spots in St. Louis. Statistically, he was the 4th best receiver on the offense.

I am not saying he can't, but Curtis has never started 16 games in a season as a number 1 or 2 receiver. He has much to prove.

i agree there was no way the lions were in a position to give him the money he wanted (and ended up getting). it's a bit of risk for the eagles, to be sure. on the other hand, joe horn never bloomed until he got out of kc and got a starting gig...maybe curtis rises to the occasion. guess we'll see.

There are 2 reason why I think the Eagles chose Kevin Curtis over Donte Stallworth

#1 - Stallworth has injury and drug issues. Enough said. He only caught 38 balls last year. What is the point of having a recevier around who has lingering hamstring problems.

#2 - Kevin Curtis was good enough to be better than Isaac Bruce 2 years ago as a yards after catch guy. The Eagles traded for Stallworth for this exact reason. If not for his drug test and injuries, I think they woudl have gone with him. Curtis is very good at turning a short pass into a nice long TD.

All in all good move for the Eagles. Next up is signing Ron Dayne or Corey Dillon. I also think they will bring in a young up and coming LB to challenge Trotter

I had the "pleasure" of a conversation with Howard Eskin in Atlantic City on Tuesday,

a pleasurable Eskin conversation??? :dunno: Is that like a pleasurable Mackgee conversation?

a pleasurable Eskin conversation??? :dunno: Is that like a pleasurable Mackgee conversation?

He's as cocky live as he is on the radio. But the dude is dialed in when it comes to sports. He knows his sh!t, and will be the first to tell you.

I told him that my wife hates him because he tells the female callers to go make a sammich for their husbands. He laughed and said they should be concerned about the laundry too. :thumbsup:

He couldn't even beat out the old guy (34 year old) Isaac Bruce for the number 2 spots in St. Louis.

In his defense, it's tough to bench a future Hall of Famer.

I don't think the deal is bad, the Iggles needed some more depth, I'm just curipous as to were they line him up this year, In the slot?

MDC Yesterday, 09:51 PM Post #11

I'm not really sure what I think about this. Dante Stallworth was a legitimate addition to the WR corps. He could do things no other receiver on the team brought to the table

Like tear up his hammy :D

Granted Stallworth is more talented and has the speed but why did the Saints dump him then with an aging

Horn needed to be replaced?

His off field problems must have been a big concern, I can't remember how often he was injured with the Saints?

It's a good signing for the Eagles, they added something Stallworth couldn't bring to the table...RELIABILITY. Whether or not you agree with them, they weren't re-signing Stallworth and they got the guy they wanted. With all the drops the Eagles have had, I'm hoping his reliability really aids McNabb and keeps drives alive.

It's a godd signing for the Eagles, they added something Stallworth couldn't bring to the table...RELIABILITY. Whether or not you agree with them, they weren't re-signing Stallworth and they got the guy they wanted. With all the drops the Eagles have had, I'm hoping his reliability really aids McNabb and keeps drives alive.

:D

Agreed. I'm less concerned about the receivers and way more concerned about the defense. :banana:

He's as cocky live as he is on the radio. But the dude is dialed in when it comes to sports. He knows his sh!t, and will be the first to tell you.

I told him that my wife hates him because he tells the female callers to go make a sammich for their husbands. He laughed and said they should be concerned about the laundry too. :banana:

did he at least give you a reach around? :banana:

:banana:

Agreed. I'm less concerned about the receivers and way more concerned about the defense. :banana:

They are going to target the D in the draft. For some reason the Eagles are the only team in the league that doesn't know their linebackers suck, but I expect them to go after a S, DE and possibly CB in the early rounds. Hopefully they draft a RB, too.

:banana:

exactly what happened.....the titans throw generous numbers out there, but these teams always throw more.......he is NOT an upgrade over Bennett so i am glad we didnt get him......he is fast, but really now, he is a system WR.....the Rams made him who he is, anywhere else he is gonna be your typical Frisman Jackson

This offseason with 3 different WRs confuses me.

- why would the rams get rid of Curtis, to sign Drew Bennett? Was the money that much different? IMO, id rather keep the guy who knows the system and team....maybe there is something more to it that I just don't know.

- why would the Titans let Bennett walk...then immediately complain about being thin at WR? To me, keep Bennett and address your other needs (because there are plenty). Perhaps they thought they had a better chance at Stallworth (which out of the 3 guys is probably the best)...but then going after Curtis...bleh...just keep Bennett at that point.

- and now to Philly...you let Stallworth go, and then sign Curtis to what looks like enough money to have kept Stallworth in the first place...or not far off.

Just an odd offseason.

The Eagles did want Stallworth but not for the money he was commanding.

The Eagles prepared an offer that had more guaranteed money ($2.2 million vs. $1.7 million) at the minimum end of the 1-year deal than the Patriots. Drew Rosenhaus focked that all up to the detriment of his client.

Had Rosenhaus called the Eagles back after the offer from the Patriots, Stallworth would be an Eagle and Curtis wouldn't.

End of story.

- why would the rams get rid of Curtis, to sign Drew Bennett? Was the money that much different? IMO, id rather keep the guy who knows the system and team....maybe there is something more to it that I just don't know.

- why would the Titans let Bennett walk...then immediately complain about being thin at WR? To me, keep Bennett and address your other needs (because there are plenty). Perhaps they thought they had a better chance at Stallworth (which out of the 3 guys is probably the best)...but then going after Curtis...bleh...just keep Bennett at that point.

- and now to Philly...you let Stallworth go, and then sign Curtis to what looks like enough money to have kept Stallworth in the first place...or not far off.

Just an odd offseason.

1. I don't think the Rams "got rid" of Curtis, I think he left because he wanted more playing time and knew he wasn't going to get it with Rev Ike still on-board.

2. Not sure on this one, but perhaps Bennett just wanted a different opportunity as well.

3. The Eagles didn't want to invest the kind of money they did in Curtis in Stallworth because he's not reliable in their eyes. I think they feared more 12-game seasons in which the offense was statiscally better without Stallwrth than with him (it's true, they were). They would have re-signed him for a short-term deal, but no way would they have given him anything long-term because of his unreliability.

Just an odd offseason.

The mistake that the Titans made actually occurred last year by signing David Givens for too much money. From what I've heard, Bennett wanted at least as much money as Givens got and probably more (which is understandable on one level since Bennett contributed way, way, WAAAY more than Givens did). But I understand the move from the Titans standpoint in that Bennett (while a good #2 WR) isn't worth the kind of cash he was probably wanting.

As far as Stallworth goes, the Titans (and the Eagles too for that matter) apparently offered more money to him than the Pats did; but he deliberately chose to accept less money to play for the Patriots. I guess he had his mind set on catching passes from Tom Brady.

I'm OK with the fact that the Titans didn't get Curtis. Like I said in an earlier post, his speed would've added another dimension to the offense; but it wasn't worth overpaying him just for that.

I think the Titans will sign a vet WR pretty soon (probably Justin Gage) and use either their 1st or 2nd rounder on a WR...

They are going to target the D in the draft. For some reason the Eagles are the only team in the league that doesn't know their linebackers suck, but I expect them to go after a S, DE and possibly CB in the early rounds. Hopefully they draft a RB, too.

I agree with you completely. At the top of my wish list is the safety from Florida. IMO, he could be a great one. The good thing about this draft is that there are a few good safeties coming out, so the Eagles don't have to reach to fill a need.

At LB, it's apparent they need another starter (for Dhani Focking Jones) in addition to some real depth. My guess is they'll pick up crap after June 1st. THEY NEED TO FIND THE HEIR APPARENT FOR TROTTER. I love Trotter, but he's on his last legs. You can see the knees are finally bringing his game down, even though he's still an above average MLB.

I have faith that they'll do the right thing. One thing I would like to see is them draft a QB on the first day. They need to start grooming someone for the future. Let's face it, McNabb is never gonna be confused with Cal Ripken.

Just an odd offseason.

1. The system is still kinda new. It is not the Martz system any more with Bulger throwing it 50 times a quarter. So there were fewer plays with 10 WR sets. So as long as Ancient Bruce is healthy, Curtis is :banana:

2. The Rams also added size in DB and in RM. And Bennett is someone who could pull down the endzone jump ball on occasion too.

Kevin Curtis

Position: WR

Height: 5-11

Weight: 186

Born: 07/17/1978

College: Utah State

NFL Experience: 5

Drew Bennett

Position: WR

Height: 6-5

Weight: 206

Born: 08/26/1978

College: UCLA

NFL Experience: 7

Randy McMichael

Position: TE

Height: 6-3

Weight: 255

Born: 06/28/1979

College: Georgia

NFL Experience: 6

The Rams have struggled in their red zone offense. Curtis is another smaller, quicker, receiver much like Bruce and Holt, and they wanted a guy who would give them a bigger target down there (which they addressed with Bennett and McMichael). In the same token Tennessee let Bennett go, but also persued Curtis pretty agressively and was one of the front runers for signing him.

Curtis is a guy who can do a lot of things for them. He can stretch the field, he can run those crossing patters, and he can get you yards after the catch. Don't let his role in St. Louis fool you. All of that interest in him wasn't just for a guy to come in play the slot. There are many who see Curtis as a guy who can be a quality starting receiver. Philly was obviously one of those teams, and payed him as such.

Curtis had over 800 yards and 6 TD in the 9 games that he got to be a starter that one season when Holt/Bruce was hurt.

Can you tell me a time that Stallworth ever had that much production over 9 games?

Curtis had over 800 yards and 6 TD in the 9 games that he got to be a starter that one season when Holt/Bruce was hurt.

Can you tell me a time that Stallworth ever had that much production over 9 games?

Good question. My thinking on the signing of Curtis is this: Marty M. showed Big Red that this offense is way more effective when it revolves around the running game and Brian Westbrook. Teams respected the passing game last year when Stallworth played. When he didn't, safeties played closer to the LOS and limited Westbrook's effectiveness.

If they don't have a guy split out wide who's gonna make a defense pay (by stacking the line on Westbrook), then it'll render the offense less effective. Needless to say, Stallworth has difficulty staying healthy. With Curtis, there's a much better chance he'll be on the field and pose at least some kind of threat (or be the yin to Reggie Brown's yang).

I like the pickup, but way overpaid. I think he is a little unproven as well. Not a bad #2 or 3 receiver, but way overpaid considering his stats