Sign in to follow this  
brinett9

** OFFICIAL Deadliest Catch Contest **

The Premise

In the season premiere, a bunch of boat captains made a wager about which boat would catch the most king crab per pot this season. I propose a contest based on this wager, with each entrant picking the boat he thinks will win the bet.

The Choices

I don't have exact info on which boat captains were involved. There ended up being $900 in the pot, which presumably means 9 captains are participating. The DC web site lists 8 crews. I cannot verify that all of these 8 crews are participating, but it seems safe to assume that they are:

NORTHWESTERN | CORNELIA MARIE | TIME BANDIT | MAVERICK | THE WIZARD | FARWEST LEADER | ALEUTIAN BALLAD | EARLY DAWN

The Prize

After the winner of the bet is decided, all losers will have to change their Geek Club signature for one week to "The crew of (your boat) are a bunch of useless homos who couldn't catch crabs in a Tijuana whorehouse.", with the name of the boat they selected substituted for '(your boat)", naturally.

The Rules

1. Multiple contest entrants may choose the same boat.

2. The contest will be decided by who wins the wager at the end of the king crab season. This will be the final result. We will not ourselves make any effort to calculate which boat caught "the most crab per pot" unless the wager result is not announced on the show or otherwise made known.

3. In the event of a tie, all tied boats will be considered winners.

4. Entries must be posted here before the beginning of the next episode on April 10. You may change your selection provided you do so before the deadline.

NORTHWESTERN | CORNELIA MARIE | TIME BANDIT | MAVERICK | THE WIZARD | FARWEST LEADER | ALEUTIAN BALLAD | EARLY DAWN

Having given this some thought, I'm tempted to go with a sentimental favorite like the Cornelia Marie.

But instead I'm gonna pick:

The Northwestern

ETA: switched to Cornelia Marie 4/4 10:40 am.

I really think it's the best-equipped and best-run boat on the show.

The "per pot" equalizer will eliminate a lot of its advantage, but I still think Sig Hansen comes out on top.

Current Picks:

Cornelia Marie

brinett9

JasperisOK

Maverick

Frank M

Birdseed

IGotWorms (honorary participant)

Time Bandit

Nomad99

KSB2424

The Wizard

Electric Mayhem

Aleutian Ballad

parrot

Northwestern

Isotopes

davebg

fricker66

remote controller

pt_mck

joeshushu (honorary participant)

Cougar Ace

GettnHuge

I'd like the Maverick. Those dudes are badasses!

Going out on a limb with the rookie captain there.

I like the pick.

Going out on a limb with the rookie captain there.

I like the pick.

Safe is for sissies!

Is the Cornelia Marie captain the guy that chain smokes like crazy? That dude literally lights one up as he is finishing the other, it is quite the sight.

My pick: TIME BANDIT This skipper sounds like a badass that has the best vessel per his Discovery Channel profile.

"Brothers Johnathan and Andy Hillstrand share the skippering duties on board their family-operated vessel, the Time Bandit. Designed by the Hillstrands' father and custom-built by the brothers, the boat features luxuries unheard of on other crab boats, such as staterooms with queen-sized beds, a four-person sauna and a dishwasher.

Johnathan is the captain during king crab season. He runs a tight ship and is not afraid to speak his mind. When he's not embracing the elements at sea, the Homer, Alaska, resident enjoys a zest for life on the edge that includes riding a Harley that is rigged to rocket to 120 mph at the touch of a button."

the boat features luxuries unheard of on other crab boats, such as staterooms with queen-sized beds, a four-person sauna and a dishwasher.

Yo edjr, maybe they'd be willing to take you on next season.

Sounds like it'd be a step up in the old standard of living. :headbanger:

(yes, i know your new place has one. don't be a poop.)

I'll take the Northwestern

The captain said they are using fewer but bigger pots this year. He should have an advantage over the others. All depends on who hits the hot spots though.

I'll take the Northwestern.

If you paid close attention last night you'd know why.

I'll take the Northwestern.

If you paid close attention last night you'd know why.

Yeah, i remember that.

I don't know how much of a factor it'll be.

They still run a lot of pots compared to the other boats, I think.

Of course the Northwestern is the favorite. If I recall, they pulled in the most crab last season, so they are the "defending champs". Way to go out on a limb. :thumbsup:

ETA: Lemme guess, you guys are picking Tiger Woods this weekend in the Masters too.

Yeah, i remember that.

I don't know how much of a factor it'll be.

They still run a lot of pots compared to the other boats, I think.

The bet they made at the table wasn't exactly most crabs per pot. It was whoever got to a certain amount (I think 100,000 lbs) w/the fewest pots. I can't see how having the larger pots wouldn't give them an advantage...unless Sig completely craps out and picks the wrong spots to fish. Considering the Northwestern has been at or near the top every season thus far, I'm not too worried about that happening.

Think about it, Sig was the one who proposed the bet. He already knew he was going w/the larger pots. The other captains likely didn't know that. Advantage: Sig and the Northwestern.

The bet they made at the table wasn't exactly most crabs per pot. It was whoever got to a certain amount (I think 100,000 lbs) w/the fewest pots.

Yeah, the details are a little confused. The announcer later described it as a bet on who ctaches the most crab per pot.

That's why I've stipulated that the winner will be determined by whoever wins the bet on the show, to prevent fistfights breaking out here over how the winning boat should be determined.

Hard to bet against the Hansons, but I'm going to go with a dark horse in the Aleutian Ballad. Coming back off injury from the rogue wave, it's the feel good story of the season. Also, I like the name. :thumbsdown:

Hard to bet against the Hansons, but I'm going to go with a dark horse in the Aleutian Ballad. Coming back off injury from the rogue wave, it's the feel good story of the season. Also, I like the name. :thumbsdown:

nice.

now every clown on the bored is piling on the northwestern bandwagon. :(

i'm going to switch to the Cornelia Marie.

big pots don't mean crap if they're not in a really good place.

what, no option for the Cougar Ace?

maybe that's the mysterious 9th boat.

you can pick any boat you want.

pick the SS Minnow if it tickles your fancy.

now every clown on the bored is piling on the northwestern bandwagon. :cry:

Just like everyone bet Florida for the tournament. :dunno:

The Wizard is flying under the radar so far;

the Wizard, a perennial top five producer, is one of the largest vessels in the fleet at 155 feet in length. Being forced to lease his entire crab quota, Keith struggled in his first year owning the Wizard. This season the stakes are that much higher for his ship and crew.
The man has big payments to make so you gotta think he's going to push pretty hard. A hungry dog hunts best. :dunno:

The three guys that have presumably drowned on the one boat will definitly feed the most crab, by themselves :lol: I have to go with Sig on the Northwestern. Who gives a crap if he was the favorite. What the hell are we suppose to do, pick our second option to go out on a limb. :cry:

Of course the Northwestern is the favorite. If I recall, they pulled in the most crab last season, so they are the "defending champs". Way to go out on a limb. :dunno:

ETA: Lemme guess, you guys are picking Tiger Woods this weekend in the Masters too.

and your point....................other than to sound pretty stupid. Take your second choice then :P

What the hell are we suppose to do, pick our second option to go out on a limb. :cry:

Yes, its not like we are playing for money. :dunno: If 75% of the people take the Northwestern, how fun is that? It is the exact same reason most Masters pools take Tiger Woods off the board.

i'd just rather be the genius with the outside pick than the asstard with the favorite.

but that's just my strategy. everyone can pick whoever they want.

i also think the northwestern may be more heavily favored than she should be, the winner could easily be determined by luck with the size of the catch, weather, mechanical problems, catching a lot of females, etc.

i also think the northwestern may be more heavily favored than she should be, the winner could easily be determined by luck with the size of the catch, weather, mechanical problems, catching a lot of females, etc.

:(

There's really no advantage to a larger boat. In fact you could make the case that the smaller boats with fewer pots might make more of an effort to maximize the take from each pot.

The key was in the terms. I believe it was fewest pots needed to reach a certain level. Having bigger pots does give you a definite advantage given equal fishing grounds. Of course, if you are not on the Crab, it doesn't matter what the size is.

Maverick

:(

This might be the right pick... if they ever get around to dropping any pots. :ninja:

I've made a list in the top post with everyone's picks.

Let me know if you change yours or if I got yours wrong.

GettnHuge, do you pick Cougar Ace or were you just commenting about it?

what if we already know who wins :ninja:

This did happen months ago, you know. Spoilers suck, but you can't exactly hide info on the numbers

that were brought in or stop guys on the show from blogging. You Northwestern geeks can buy NW gear u know.

anyway I could use a new sig so I'll stick with the Cougar Ace :ninja:

It had 4700 mazdas on it when it capsized...they are all being scrapped. :(

maybe that's the mysterious 9th boat.

you can pick any boat you want.

pick the SS Minnow if it tickles your fancy.

But they only do 2 hour tours!!!

I'll take the

1. Northwestern.

2. Maverick

3. Cornelia Marie

4. Time Bandit

But they only do 2 hour tours!!!

I'll take the

1. Northwestern.

2. Maverick

3. Cornelia Marie

4. Time Bandit

nice job picking one boat there, zippy. :thumbsup:

i've got you down for Northwestern.

The Northwestern is using bigger pots....BUT......if you listened, he said they are going to drop all their pots & THEN GO PICK UP ANOTHER LOAD OF POTS.......this means he will be running a lot more pots than the others.........if he accounts for all his pots it might be tough for him to win unless he kills it on his first couple strings.

Yo EM, you should dump that crappy Wizard and join me on the Cornholio Marie. :first:

Yo EM, you should dump that crappy Wizard and join me on the Cornholio Marie. :first:

Alas, I cannot forsake the Metal Gods. I'm sticking with The Wizard.

Plus it helps the contest if every boat have a backer. :banana:

It's a little early to tell anyting yet, but all your boats suck and my boat is gona be practically sinking with crab. :blink:

It's a little early to tell anyting yet, but all your boats suck and my boat is gona be practically sinking with crab. :blink:

Like your diaper in the tub, biznatch.

The Cornholio is a strong contender, but I think the combination of the younger bro being a first time full share and the older bro being the greehorn bait-boy will hold them back.

Just imagine if their combined lack of experience ended up w/someone (maybe one of them) getting hurt or killed under dad's watchful eye. :wub: