Sign in to follow this  
FantasyBowl33

Who's the team to beat?

As a Steelers fan, it absolutely sickens me to say this, but I have to give the nod to New England right now. Brady has more weapons now than he's ever had, and if they make a few key picks to shore up their defense, they're scary. I also peg Denver as a rapid inprover.

As of right now who is the best team in the NFL?

My initial thought is Indy, they're the defending champs. BUT they have lost a few players to FA and haven't really added anyone. Then there's SD who was the best regular season team, but until they "learn how to win" I can't put them as #1. So that leaves me with NE. They were very close to beating Indy in the playoffs last season, they're a team that "knows how to win" (has playoff experience) and added a lot of pieces to the puzzle via FA this off-season. So I'd have to give them the slight edge right now.

As of right now who is the best team in the NFL?

My initial thought is Indy, they're the defending champs. BUT they have lost a few players to FA and haven't really added anyone. Then there's SD who was the best regular season team, but until they "learn how to win" I can't put them as #1. So that leaves me with NE. They were very close to beating Indy in the playoffs last season, they're a team that "knows how to win" (has playoff experience) and added a lot of pieces to the puzzle via FA this off-season. So I'd have to give them the slight edge right now.

since i'm in Rick Flair country, i'm going to use an old quote from him:

"To be the man, first you have to beat the man...WHOA."

Until someone knocks the defending SB champion down, they are the team to beat... even in the age of FA...

I concur with New England being the best, by a hair.

I'd go with the bears #2 though. They weren't the same without harris, with him back next year the sky is the limit (and I'm a detroit homer, writing that almost made me vomit in my mouth)

since i'm in Rick Flair country, i'm going to use an old quote from him:

"To be the man, first you have to beat the man...WHOA."

Until someone knocks the defending SB champion down, they are the team to beat... even in the age of FA...

Will give a bit of credance to this, but I think the losses and the letdown that comes with winning it all will knock them from their perch in the end. They've done nothing to get better, and have lost enough to hurt them already.

I concur with New England being the best, by a hair.

I'd go with the bears #2 though. They weren't the same without harris, with him back next year the sky is the limit (and I'm a detroit homer, writing that almost made me vomit in my mouth)

I can't honestly say that I would put the bears in my top 5 right now, despite their superbowl appearance. I firmly believe that any one of the 4 top AFC teams last year would beat them most days, their QB sitation is the WORST of any potential contender, and they've also lost some key components (I don't care what anybody says, Thomas Jones was the heart and soul of that offense and Ced doesn't have the same fire) and they may have lost their defensive edge with the loss of Ron Rivera. I sense the tradition of the superbowl loser hangover hitting these guys BIG TIME.

chiefs

:ninja:

Will give a bit of credance to this, but I think the losses and the letdown that comes with winning it all will knock them from their perch in the end. They've done nothing to get better, and have lost enough to hurt them already.

I can't honestly say that I would put the bears in my top 5 right now, despite their superbowl appearance. I firmly believe that any one of the 4 top AFC teams last year would beat them most days, their QB sitation is the WORST of any potential contender, and they've also lost some key components (I don't care what anybody says, Thomas Jones was the heart and soul of that offense and Ced doesn't have the same fire) and they may have lost their defensive edge with the loss of Ron Rivera. I sense the tradition of the superbowl loser hangover hitting these guys BIG TIME.

The Colts didn't do anything to get better between 2005 and 2006 either and many predicted a decline. While that did occur in some respects, they still had enough to win it all.

If the Colts can be more consistent on defense, they're the team to beat. The offense just clicks too well to be overlooked. I think the Chargers and Patriots are close, though, and I like the Saints to be the NFC version of the Colts again this year.

I hate to be homer and pick my team but to me it's the Pats. They made it to the AFCC with a weakness at LB and WR and they filled both of those spots with what appears to be on paper, solid contributors. They will also be bring in 2 first rounders as well. The only negative thing for the Pats will be the Asante Samuel situation.

If I was asked to not pick my team. I'd say Colts.

chiefs

Good call - a lot of teams will beat the Chiefs this year. :banana:

I've got to say SD (not a fan). They've got the most complete team in the NFL. Defence and offence are both solid, and they have the best player in the NFL. Rivers has a year under his belt and should improve. And I expect last year's playoff loss was a good learning experience for them. I see them finishing something like 14-2 and getting that first round bye.

I've got to say SD (not a fan). They've got the most complete team in the NFL. Defence and offence are both solid, and they have the best player in the NFL. Rivers has a year under his belt and should improve. And I expect last year's playoff loss was a good learning experience for them. I see them finishing something like 14-2 and getting that first round bye.

new coach learning curve they'll be lucky to make the playoffs :dunno:

new coach learning curve they'll be lucky to make the playoffs :doublethumbsup:

You're kidding, right? It's not like this is an inexperienced coach who hasn't been in the league before.

You're kidding, right? It's not like this is an inexperienced coach who hasn't been in the league before.

I don't think it's his experience is the concern....

"The Chargers are giving Norv Turner his third crack at being an NFL head coach. He's 58-82-1 with one playoff appearance in nine seasons leading an NFL team".

I don't think it's his experience is the concern....

"The Chargers are giving Norv Turner his third crack at being an NFL head coach. He's 58-82-1 with one playoff appearance in nine seasons leading an NFL team".

Right, and compare the talenet on those teams to the one he's been given in SD. I'm not saying he's a great head coach, but even I could coach that team to the playoffs.

Right, and compare the talenet on those teams to the one he's been given in SD. I'm not saying he's a great head coach, but even I could coach that team to the playoffs.

I don't disagree, but the new coach to me (loss of Schotty and Cam), does drop them a bit below the Patriots, Colts and maybe even the Broncos in my my eyes.

The Bolts. This is their year to get over the hump.

1) Colts- lost a few players, but didn't lose Manning, Harrison or Wayne and that's all they need.

2) Pats- Made enough moves to be 2.

3) Bears- Grossman is biggest concern, but Briggs or no Briggs, still best D in league.

4) Saints- If the defense can stop anyone they'll have a first rd. bye in playoffs.

5) Chargers- Should be two, but firing Marty, letting Cam sign with Dolphins and making Norv Turner Coach was to me the biggest bone head move so far this off season. Lets face it Norv Turner is a great offensive coordinator, but mediocre head coach.

If the Jags get decent play from the passing game to go with a great running game and solid Def, they could suprise.

Obvously have to say the Pats are in the hunt. Love the moves they made. actually the Welker signing was my favorite.

Chargers/Colts are right there as well

How can you say they are the most complete team in the NFL when their no. 1 WR has only caught 30 passes in his career?

:first:

I'm not trying to be an arse.

How can you say they are the most complete team in the NFL when their no. 1 WR has only caught 30 passes in his career?

:dunno:

I'm not trying to be an arse.

Have you heard of Gates and Tomlinson? They catch more than enough passes to make up for any deficiency at WR. They're the top players at their respective positions. Some teams have better WR's, but who has a better RB and TE on the same team?

Plus, Vincent Jackson really came on at the end of the year. He may not be a true #1, but he's a threat.

Whoever's on the week 1 schedule is the team to beat. In the case of my favorite team, that would be the Lions. HTH!

Well you have to say Indy, since they won last year.

But I really want to say New England. :dunno:

this might as well be an "instert your favorite team here" thread.

Well, there are acceptions to this, from fans who are able to take the homer goggles off.

While I personally think the Broncos will go undefeated and win the SB every year, I know that that wont happen, so I never bring that mindset in here.

These are the teams to beat in my eyes

Regular Season:

Colts

Patriots

Chargers

Broncos

Saints

Bears

Post Season

Colts

Patriots

Broncos

Bears

Saints

Seahawks

I think everyone wants to gun for the conference champs/runner-ups, so the colts/pats/bears/saints get automatic bids to be the top teams to beat in their conferences. As for the chargers, I think people will fear them more in the regular season -vs- post season just cause they haven't won any p/s games, and now that marty is gone, I doubt they will. I have the Broncos in there, cause they have made an equally big splash as the patriots in free agency, as well as they are a perennial playoff team, and they always kick the sh1t out of the patriots in the playoffs, only to get their ass's handed to them by the colts.

And I threw in the seahawks in the postseason, only because they were in the SB 2 years ago, and many still think they are a championship caliber team.

As for the chargers, I think people will fear them more in the regular season -vs- post season just cause they haven't won any p/s games, and now that marty is gone, I doubt they will.

Good point. Marty is one of the best posteseason coaches in NFL history. :thumbsup:

Good point. Marty is one of the best posteseason coaches in NFL history. :huh:

He's gotten our beloved Broncos to the superbowl a few times :dunno: :banana: