Sign in to follow this  
HenryChinaski

Marquise Hill missing in Lake Pontchartrain

They just reported that a bystander heard Hill's last words just before he died! :wub:

"Gurgle, gurgle..." :dunno:

They just reported that a bystander heard Hill's last words just before he died! :lol:

"Gurgle, gurgle..." :mad:

If you are going to be a jackass about this, at least make it a good joke. :ninja:

Marquise Hill amassed a whopping 2 tackles in his illustrious two-year career. Apparently, swimming wasn't the only thing he sucked at.

:ninja:

what terribly sad news to hear.........it gives you a jolt back to reality on how precious life can be....my prayers go out to his family, friends, lsu and the patriots....the young man at least passed trying to save another life which is one the most honorable things any human can do...... but it's still very heartbreaking to hear.....

RIP marquise hill.... in your honor.... :ninja:

This story reminds me of a quote I heard years ago, "the only difference between a hero and a fool is time and place." In this case, the guy was both. I really don't know what you two are arguing about here.

Was he a fool for going out on a jet ski at night without a life preserver? Undeniably.

Was he a hero for trying to save the girl's life? Undeniably.

Was he a hero for helping with his Mom's rebuilding? First, that has nothing to do with this incident. Second, that is only to be expected from a grown son with a high paying job.

RIP and I hope some people learned something from his demise.

How big is lake Ponchartrain? Huge I think. And for and individual to go out jetskiing at night without a life jacket??? For him to save the women's life... yea it better be his obligation for not wearing a jacket. Are you kidding me...This is a sad tragedy yes, but about as dumb as it gets. I'm sure this is not the first time there has been a current reported in the lake either. You are in a dangerous lake, with currrent/undertow, and you aren't wearing a lifevest? Oh I've been water skiing, tubing, kneeboarding, and such. Do you think the owner of the boat would ever allow me back there without a vest on???? Not a chance in hell. This was a life that didn't have to go.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends for the pain they are enduring. One day we will all deal with this. This was a mistake that shouldn't have happened.

Jocstrap

Yes it was a mistake.

But is now really the time to dwell on the bad decision?

I mean really, the man lost his life trying to be a hero--and everyone wants to say how much smarter they are than him.

I would think people would have a little more perspective.

This is not accurate. He did not "lose his life trying to be a hero" - he died because he made irresponsible and foolish choices to 1. jet ski at night and 2. do so without a vest. That's what killed him. His attempt to be a hero would not have been necessary had he not been doing something foolish and irrisponsible in the first place. I mean, no disrespect intended to the deceased, but you wouldn't congratulate an arsonist if he grabbed a hose right after lighting a building on fire. :ninja: But the bottom line is that he's not a hero - he nearly got a woman killed and he did in fact get himself killed. It's a tragedy and there's some sympathy warranted because he did jump back in after being rescued - but make no mistake...he is responsible for being on that lake at night without a vest in the 1st place. The order of events shows this beyond a shadow of doubt.

You challenging people to have more "perspective" while asserting a fallacy is ironic here. I happen to have perspective as someone who was raised with water safety ingrained into him. It's not being "smarter than him" it's knowing the rules of boating, and basic water safety...the perspective is that while you see him as someone who was being a hero by trying to save his g/f's life, I see him as the person who put her life at risk in the 1st place.

I'm sure you'll attack me for disagreeing with you as you've done with others, but this is my opinion and I am as entitled to it as you are yours. Good luck with your anger issues.

RIP to Marquis Hill and my sympathy to the Hill family. 150,000 people were killed in the US last year in acts of irresponsibility with personal watercraft - the risks are clear. Taking proper safety precautions is essential.

RIP and I hope some people learned something from his demise.

I know I did.

NFL players can't tred water.

The utter lack of humanity of apparently most of the people left on the bored is just appalling. I can't believe so many of you are so cynical, so smug and so completely alienated from real human life. Get out of your house and meet some real people again, or no one will remember you (or even notice) when you go, unlike Marquise Hill.

The world has lost a good man, and he will be missed.

The utter lack of humanity of apparently most of the people left on the bored is just appalling. I can't believe so many of you are so cynical, so smug and so completely alienated from real human life. Get out of your house and meet some real people again, or no one will remember you (or even notice) when you go, unlike Marquise Hill.

well said.

I think there have been several of us who have said thoughts and prayers to the families. I know I am one of those.

There are others who have been flat out mean.

Then there is the question of why would you go out on a huge lake doing a dangerous sport without a life vest? I don't want to be the one to say "see I told you so", but damn, this is about as dumb as it gets. This has to be acknowledged. I don't wish bad things on anyone, nor their families. But how am I to sympathize on this?

Man, there are truly some absolute LOSERS in this world...as Im reminded every single day....and Im not speaking of the guy who lost his life jetting without a vest......

may you rest in peace, Mr. Hill.

I don't wish bad things on anyone, nor their families. But how am I to sympathize on this?

He was a human being. That's how you sympathize with this, my friend.

So can I not both sympathize with the loss of a human being and simultaneously point out the fact that it was his irresponsibility and lack of following basic water safety rules/laws that got him and nearly his g/f killed?

I fail to see how I'm being mean in the slightest. He died and it's a tragedy. And simultaneously, it was a dumb, unnecessary accident which would have been prevented if the single most basic rule of operating a personal water craft were followed: wearing a vest.

I suppose ESPN, Sporting News radio and my local news stations are all equally high and mighty and "mean" since they're all reporting this and every single one has highlighted that they were not wearing their floatation devices. :cheers:

I think you and others here are acting just as high and mighty and smug in being so quick to cast judgment on anyone who has said that it was a dumb thing to do. I agree that some of these responses are over the top, but try not to lump us all into the same bucket while sending judgment down from your high horse there pal. I have plenty of sympathy - doesn't change the fact that it was a stupid thing to do. And he's absolutely not a hero, because he put himself and his g/f into a dangerous situation in the 1st place. That's not me being "mean", it's reality. :ninja:

Here's a question - what if toxicology reports come back showing that Hill had a BAC over the legal limit? You know, drunk driving applies equally to watercraft. Since you're being so judgmental, how then will you judge Mr Hill - still the hero? Or would that finally warrant a judgment of irresponsibility? I mean, obviously riding a personal water craft at night wasn't enough, nor was doing so without a vest...what if he was drunk? Would you then be "mean" for thinking he did something dumb? Or would you say, "never mind that he was drunk and stupid - it's a tragedy!" :dunno:

A poster earlier was lambasted for making the comparison to a drunk driver getting himself killed. Too bad he got ripped on for that because he was spot on - both are illegal and irresponsible acts resulting in the death of a human being. The drunk made the decision to get behind the wheel in a manner which violated the law (BAC) and Hill made the choice to violate state law by operating a PWC at night (No one can operate a PWC on state waters between sunset and sunrise) and failing to wear required safety equipment per the water safety course that all PWC operators are required to take. So how exactly is this any different? Both circumstances have a person making an irresponsible decision in violation of the law resulting in death. Sad, tragic - definitely. Still dumb and irresponsible though, regardless of the sympathy I have for the Hill family.

So can I not both sympathize with the loss of a human being and simultaneously point out the fact that it was his irresponsibility and lack of following basic water safety rules/laws that got him and nearly his g/f killed?

I fail to see how I'm being mean in the slightest. He died and it's a tragedy. And simultaneously, it was a dumb, unnecessary accident which would have been prevented if the single most basic rule of operating a personal water craft were followed: wearing a vest.

I suppose ESPN, Sporting News radio and my local news stations are all equally high and mighty and "mean" since they're all reporting this and every single one has highlighted that they were not wearing their floatation devices. :dunno:

I think you and others here are acting just as high and mighty and smug in being so quick to cast judgment on anyone who has said that it was a dumb thing to do. I agree that some of these responses are over the top, but try not to lump us all into the same bucket while sending judgment down from your high horse there pal. I have plenty of sympathy - doesn't change the fact that it was a stupid thing to do. And he's absolutely not a hero, because he put himself and his g/f into a dangerous situation in the 1st place. That's not me being "mean", it's reality. :doh:

Here's a question - what if toxicology reports come back showing that Hill had a BAC over the legal limit? You know, drunk driving applies equally to watercraft. Since you're being so judgmental, how then will you judge Mr Hill - still the hero? Or would that finally warrant a judgment of irresponsibility? I mean, obviously riding a personal water craft at night wasn't enough, nor was doing so without a vest...what if he was drunk? Would you then be "mean" for thinking he did something dumb? Or would you say, "never mind that he was drunk and stupid - it's a tragedy!" :dunno:

A poster earlier was lambasted for making the comparison to a drunk driver getting himself killed. Too bad he got ripped on for that because he was spot on - both are illegal and irresponsible acts resulting in the death of a human being. The drunk made the decision to get behind the wheel in a manner which violated the law (BAC) and Hill made the choice to violate state law by operating a PWC at night (No one can operate a PWC on state waters between sunset and sunrise) and failing to wear required safety equipment per the water safety course that all PWC operators are required to take. So how exactly is this any different? Both circumstances have a person making an irresponsible decision in violation of the law resulting in death. Sad, tragic - definitely. Still dumb and irresponsible though, regardless of the sympathy I have for the Hill family.

According to this Chenaski character, you can't be both.

You're heartless and inhumane like myself. He's the only one who can judge. :wacko:

I hear you douche.

Looks like most everyone agrees with me, though.

SO maybe, you might want to re-read the thread, douche.

Its a good read.

Later Douche.

"Very sad, but people really do make their own choices in life."

Such a heartless thing to say. He made a bad choice. This is not a tragedy because it could have been easily prevented. Still, it doesn't go without saying that it's still a very sad story.

The one's who deserve sympathy are his family and friends.

'Nuff said, phucko.

Has anyone commented about him having a girl other than his fiance on his jet ski? Just speculating.

Anyone blaming him for her possible death are the same type of fools that like to blame the bar when someone wrecks a car from being too drunk. I mean, how stupid do you have to be to go out in the middle of the water, probably no land in sight, with no life jacket on....when you can't swim. Good god.

Has anyone commented about him having a girl other than his fiance on his jet ski? Just speculating.

Anyone blaming him for her possible death are the same type of fools that like to blame the bar when someone wrecks a car from being too drunk. I mean, how stupid do you have to be to go out in the middle of the water, probably no land in sight, with no life jacket on....when you can't swim. Good god.

From what I've read, she was a former classmate and friend of his.

The real tradegy in all of this is the 2 year old son he leaves behind.

this seems to be a contradictary statement. So he's "stupid" for going out on the lake at night with no life jacket on but not responsible for making the decision to do so?

And how is your analogy accurate? You're comparing someone being blamed for making a dumb choice (jetski) with someone blaming the bar for someone's bad choice. :thumbsdown:

Very confusing post.

:thumbsdown:

this seems to be a contradictary statement. So he's "stupid" for going out on the lake at night with no life jacket on but not responsible for making the decision to do so?

And how is your analogy accurate? You're comparing someone being blamed for making a dumb choice (jetski) with someone blaming the bar for someone's bad choice. :shocking:

Very confusing post.

I'm saying she's stupid (not him) for going out into the middle of a lake without a life vest when she can't swim. Someone in this thread was trying to blame him for her possible death.

My comparison was directed to the same people that were blaming him for her possible death. She's an adult, can make her own decisions, knows she can't swim...but still chose to jump on the back of that jetski without a life vest. To me, that's on par with someone throwing down a bunch of drinks then driving home. They know they're taking their life into their own hands, but do it anyway. Then someone tries to blame the bar.

I'm saying she's stupid (not him) for going out into the middle of a lake without a life vest when she can't swim. Someone in this thread was trying to blame him for her possible death.

My comparison was directed to the same people that were blaming him for her possible death. She's an adult, can make her own decisions, knows she can't swim...but still chose to jump on the back of that jetski without a life vest. To me, that's on par with someone throwing down a bunch of drinks then driving home. They know they're taking their life into their own hands, but do it anyway. Then someone tries to blame the bar.

Ah - understood.

Ok, so they're both stupid and irresponsible.

Sad. The whole thing's just sad.

If I ever rode a jetski I'd wear a lifejacket, but only because I'd be afraid of getting a ticket. Not dying. Some of yall make it sound like riding a jetski without a lifejacket is almost suicidal. But it isn't that big of a deal.... when the person can SWIM! People (illegally) ride jetskies all the time without lifejackets. It's extremely rare that ends up being lethal.

When you fall off a jetski, it quits moving. That means you can hold onto to it and float. Surfers don't wear lifejackets, and very few ever dround.

:shocking:

A person dying in the prime of their life is a tragedy for any reason. A time of life when the world is offering so much potential. An age when you feel invincible.

I would imagine most folks here have done stupid stuff during that time of their life that could have killed them. Rothlesburger riding a motorcycle without a helmet is a good example, except he luckily lived. Winslow, another stupid move.

Hopefully his much publicized death will save some others lives, maybe some other kid will think twice about safety before doing something stupid.

Dying is sad, yet you can actaully feel the gene pool improving at the same time :shocking:

If I ever rode a jetski I'd wear a lifejacket, but only because I'd be afraid of getting a ticket. Not dying. Some of yall make it sound like riding a jetski without a lifejacket is almost suicidal. But it isn't that big of a deal.... when the person can SWIM! People (illegally) ride jetskies all the time without lifejackets. It's extremely rare that ends up being lethal.

When you fall off a jetski, it quits moving. That means you can hold onto to it and float. Surfers don't wear lifejackets, and very few ever dround.

Actually, if you had ever rode a jet ski you'd know that it does not quit moving when you fall off. It slows down and circles some distance away from where you fall off. You then need to determine the path of the circling jet ski and swim to it. That is difficult at night.

I can assume that you've never surfed either. Surfers are tied at the ankle to their board (floatation device).

Plenty of good swimmers drown every year.

I'm guessing the toxicology report will be interesting... :banana:

that was my first thought...it would at least start to make sense if they were drunk, and impaired judgment was the reason behind doing something so amazingly irresponsible.

:ninja:

Reportedly, he was a good swimmer and he got caught in a shipping current

he was a good swimmer

hey, I'm a Pats fan and I have all the sympathy in the world for his family... but I don't care if he was Mark Spitz... LIFEJACKET! :mad:

That's nice that he built a home for a poor lady, but with all the manpower and resources he just cost the community, they probably could have built 4 homes for people.

Sad, very sad... but infuriating at the same time.

Also, do the Pats get any compensatory picks outta' this? :ninja:

AlsoAlso, up the ante again for NE's SuperBowl win... now they've got the "do it for Marquise" angle to go along with "No Respect" and signing every available FA in the NFL this year. :mad:

Also, do the Pats get any compensatory picks outta' this? :mad:

If they did, the Broncos would get a first rounder. :ninja:

Actually, if you had ever rode a jet ski you'd know that it does not quit moving when you fall off. It slows down and circles some distance away from where you fall off. You then need to determine the path of the circling jet ski and swim to it. That is difficult at night.

I can assume that you've never surfed either. Surfers are tied at the ankle to their board (floatation device).

Plenty of good swimmers drown every year.

Growing up in Florida I surfed constantly when I was younger. And I've riden plenty of jet skis... I just don't do it anymore because as a bassfisherman I despise annoying jetskiers. In all my years I've never seen a jetskier get seperated from his jetski by more than 20 feet or so after falling. Obviously adding the element of current doesn't help.

I agree with the earlier poster... wait til the toxicoligy report. The odds of him having alcohol or drugs in his system seem pretty good.

On a side note, in Florida it's illegal to drive a jetski at night. Regardless if it has lights. I thought that was the rule everywhere, but maybe not. I wonder if Hill was breaking that law too?

I agree with the earlier poster... wait til the toxicoligy report. The odds of him having alcohol or drugs in his system seem pretty good.

On a side note, in Florida it's illegal to drive a jetski at night.

it's cynical and awful, but I see the headline for a story like this and then I read the article anticipating some sort of stupidity/Darwin-Award element to be a crucial part of the tragedy.

so let me get this straight... he went jet-skiiing, at night, with no life vest, in heavy currents, with some girl who's not his fiance, and now he/they may or may not have been drunk. Yikes.

It's the same kind of stuff you read about mountain climbers who get stuck and trapped... they forgot to watch the weather report, they didn't know a storm was coming, they didn't bring the proper weather gear, they've been missing for 2 days while helicopters and 100s of people search for them. WTF!?

Damn this bored is getting mighty political/moral during the offseason. Man, I love the dictionary:

he·ro –noun, plural -roes; for 5 also -ros.

1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.

2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal: He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.

id·i·ot –noun

1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.

I'm not trying to pound the guy, but how can one be a hero when one creates the situation in the first place? Scooter has some good points on this. Yes, it is tragic that a young man, a young father, lost his life and now a family must cope with that loss. But it was an AVOIDABLE loss. As stated before, Jetski's do not stop nearby. I've watched them cruise 30 yrds away then get caught by the wind and continue to blow slowly away while I tried to swim for it. And I had on a vest and am a good swimmer. I can't imagine doing that in the dark and trying to help someone who couldn't swim both people without vests on. As a rational person I'd never put myself or that person in that situation to begin with, and as a high-paid professional athlete with more to risk, even less so. I find it ironic that the definition of hero above mentions a drowning child, would the definition still fit if that "hero" was the one who put the child in harms way in the first place? I guess if he gave his life to save hers, that part of it was heroic, but the events that led to the heroism was just plain idiotic.