Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**Round Seven/Eight Draft Commentary**

Nice pick of V.Davis Ray. I like him to finish as a top 4 TE this season. I couldn't pull the trigger on him or Shockey at 7.01 and obviously knew they wouldn't make it back to me at 8.12 so nothing I could do but wait to see where they fell. :wub:

Yes, he will finish as the #2 TE this year.

Gates will run away with the lead hands down, people will employ missplaced love for Gonzo and Heap, but it is Davis who will begin to emerge as the next great TE. Look for him to become the #1 TE in 2008... :(

I thought Young was good value here. I know he is limited with respect to weapons, but he has one of the best offensive coordinators ever, IMO, and will find ways to score points. McNabb used to get it done with limited talent around him....I think Young can, too.

Several RBs and a TE that I liked here also, but when ted took Crumpler, I decided getting Young was my best option. A strong backup QB is almost a must for me.

Guys, I am here to make my 8th. My schedule got swithed to a 10-7 today. Have about 30 minutes or so.

can someone call or text me when it is my pick- i think our system is still having problems- i have seen the picks through 8.4- thanks so much 205-413-6719

When I took Heap in the 7th, I was eyeing Berrian, who I had at the end of a tier, and two others beginning the next tier. I took Hackett and expect to see the next guy fall, by mid round at the latest. There is another way I would have loved to go, but just couldn't justify it, as I needed the #3 wideout. I see Hackett as the Wr of preference to Hass. Late last year, the 2 really stepped it up, in the absence of DJax, and DJax is still gone. Branch will swallow up more yardage, but Hackett will be close, and catch more Td's. I see both of them as bottom end #2's.

I have forwarded my list to Bomb. The list is good for rounds 8,9, and 10. I should make it home for 11 and so on and e back all morning and early afternoon on Friday.

If Bomb is unable to check in from time to time, I have asked him to let me know so that I can send it off to Mike or Jet. Sorry guys, my schedule stinks this week. And thank you once again Bom, you ARE the great one in my book.

I am here and am mostly open today except from 1 to 3 I think. I will be checking for Lou and helping out again. His work schedule has him off kilter this week.

How did FantasyKing pick for himself? I thought he had no computer access today-Sunday........

How did FantasyKing pick for himself? I thought he had no computer access today-Sunday........

He went on the road yesterday afternoon, but had a stop over last night / this morning where he had internet access. I just emailed him to confirm that he'll need email updates from me today through the rest of the weekend. I told him not to expect a lot of activity this weekend though. It may happen, but that we'd be officially off the clock. So we're good.

Let me preempt Da Bomb by saying that the Brandon Jackson pick was a little sketchy. He probably went a round or three too early, is listed as second on the depth chart, and has proven nothing. A bit of a gamble at this point with much better value sitting there. :lol:

That said . . . let me splain. No, no; there is no time. Let me sum up.

Obviously I like Jackson a lot. I also think that it is a matter of time before he gets the starting job, and does well in that position. Further, the viable options are dropping quickly at this position, and I'm not real crazy about a lot of the scraps, including the back taken right in front of me. After losing Jerious Norwood because I tried to play the "wait people out" game, I decided I wouldn't do it again. It screwed up my draft. :banana: So, I'll live with the pick. :thumbsdown:

By the way, I do appreciate your commentary, Bomb, but I have to rag a little bit.

lol, i was thinking that i didnt care for brandon jackson there and thought he was a round early, but i also figured id just shut up abuot it for once. we clearly just dont see eye to eye on some players, which i dont have a problem with. i do have an issue with not taking full advantage of the value of every draft pick though. since you are part of the IBL team now, that is just a huge part of making IBL work. and granted, you cant trade in this draft so its definitely a little different. but i think 3-5 times now in this draft youve taken a guy a round earlier than i thought was necessary. i love being bold and getting your guys, no cookie cutter teams. but i also cant escape the nagging feeling that if you had properly used your draft pick values, you could be sitting with essentially an extra 2nd or 3rd round player on your roster right now. AND still have the guys you want. again, easier done with trading. but thats jsut my thinking, always trying to maximize the value of every single draft pick spot.

looking some things over here, to figure out who to snag for lou.

lol, i was thinking that i didnt care for brandon jackson there and thought he was a round early, but i also figured id just shut up abuot it for once. we clearly just dont see eye to eye on some players, which i dont have a problem with. i do have an issue with not taking full advantage of the value of every draft pick though. since you are part of the IBL team now, that is just a huge part of making IBL work. and granted, you cant trade in this draft so its definitely a little different. but i think 3-5 times now in this draft youve taken a guy a round earlier than i thought was necessary. i love being bold and getting your guys, no cookie cutter teams. but i also cant escape the nagging feeling that if you had properly used your draft pick values, you could be sitting with essentially an extra 2nd or 3rd round player on your roster right now. AND still have the guys you want. again, easier done with trading. but thats jsut my thinking, always trying to maximize the value of every single draft pick spot.

looking some things over here, to figure out who to snag for lou.

I appreciate the insight, Bomb, and actually had a good conversation with Clash last night, too.

Part of this comes down to the fact that this is the first mock I've done this year. I've looked at several, but have not done any myself . . . not an excuse, just reality. I still will have a different style. And the pick of Jackson I don't regret at all. There are only a couple other drafters who do not have a third RB yet, and they are both going to pick twice before my next pick. I actually had thought of leaving Jackson til the 9th, and going a different direction this round - I'll explain next round - but I honestly thought it less probable that Jackson was available a round later than the others on my board.

Nice pick of KJones Lou (aka Bomb). I was eyeing him at the turn. I don't know what his time table is for a return but even if you only get 10 games out of him (I expect more), IMO it's worth an 8th round pick.

Yep. Jones was worth the risk this late. Nice pick.......

Well this one will be interesting. Not sure what Lou will think of this pick, or what the rest of you will... or what I think for that matter. Lou wanted to make sure he got a 4th RB in round 8-10 somewhere, and with the little run this round, I only really had 2 or 3 guys left who looked like they fit the bill so I wanted to grab one before they disappeared. He seemed to want to wait some, but I don't know who he would've got at 10.9 honestly.

I had a very tough choice between Jones and one other RB here. Both of them are guys Lou mentioned / considered earlier. He actually mentioned Jones as early as 5.4, though he knew that'd be a bit of a reach, as his RB2. I think the upside (esp in a best ball format) as a RB4 is very clear. Jones was a 1200/8 guy last year even only playing like 2/3 of the season. Yes there are major injury questions, but if he ends up being healthy and startnig for even half the season, then this is getting a top 15 RB in the 8th with his receiving skills and in that dynamic offense. I think he fits the bill as an awesome huge-risk huge-upside pick this late, the sort of pick I love, and one who gives Lou a perfect complement to Warrick Dunn on his RB bench.

Has anybody called Clash yet?

Nope. He's over on the Mange bored, so I just figured he'd check back in here soon :wall:

Has anybody called Clash yet?

Pick is already made. :wall:

Pick is already made. :doh:

Ha... well this is a case where Clash not "seeing" the board probably helped him out. Let me 'splain... If Clash knew that ICE and I already had our QBs, I assume he would have waited on Cutler to get him on the backside of the turn. That's what I assumed he was going to do, which would have fallen right in line with my plans. I was going to take Cutler as my QB#2 at the turn. So I guess flying blind helped Clash get his guy in this case :wall:

I appreciate the insight, Bomb, and actually had a good conversation with Clash last night, too.

Part of this comes down to the fact that this is the first mock I've done this year. I've looked at several, but have not done any myself . . . not an excuse, just reality. I still will have a different style. And the pick of Jackson I don't regret at all. There are only a couple other drafters who do not have a third RB yet, and they are both going to pick twice before my next pick. I actually had thought of leaving Jackson til the 9th, and going a different direction this round - I'll explain next round - but I honestly thought it less probable that Jackson was available a round later than the others on my board.

Just hang tight Dan and it will all go great for you in the IBL. What we do is layout our personal strategies, then help each other attain it through the 5 separate drafts. What we do is look over each others plan, and have threads for each of us. JScotts draft might be 6 rounds in front of yours and Jackson is still there in round 10. He can grab him for you there, then you two work out an equitable transfer via the trade calculator. It might seem a bit hazy right now, but Bomb and the rest of us will help you track the best value in 5 drafts for your guy. Atleast I hope Bomb has some time again this year.

Just hang tight Dan and it will all go great for you in the IBL. What we do is layout our personal strategies, then help each other attain it through the 5 separate drafts. What we do is look over each others plan, and have threads for each of us. JScotts draft might be 6 rounds in front of yours and Jackson is still there in round 10. He can grab him for you there, then you two work out an equitable transfer via the trade calculator. It might seem a bit hazy right now, but Bomb and the rest of us will help you track the best value in 5 drafts for your guy. Atleast I hope Bomb has some time again this year.

Thanks, rc, and by the way, I am really looking forward to the IBL. I really appreciate you guys asking me aboard.

I really wanted Foster with my last pick, and new he was gonna fall soon after, but needed the wideout worse. It would have been nice to have had him with DeAngelo. It was a nice snag by RLLD. Cooley was the best TE available and 4th on my board this season. Had I not grabbed Heap, I was going to target Cooley. They forgot about him early last season and the offense struggled. They won't make that mistake again. He is the top receiver on that squad.

I really wanted Foster with my last pick, and new he was gonna fall soon after, but needed the wideout worse. It would have been nice to have had him with DeAngelo. It was a nice snag by RLLD. Cooley was the best TE available and 4th on my board this season. Had I not grabbed Heap, I was going to target Cooley. They forgot about him early last season and the offense struggled. They won't make that mistake again. He is the top receiver on that squad.

All this time, and I thought that your best receiver in Washington reference was to James Thrash. :thumbsup:

When I took Heap in the 7th, I was eyeing Berrian, who I had at the end of a tier, and two others beginning the next tier. I took Hackett and expect to see the next guy fall, by mid round at the latest. There is another way I would have loved to go, but just couldn't justify it, as I needed the #3 wideout. I see Hackett as the Wr of preference to Hass. Late last year, the 2 really stepped it up, in the absence of DJax, and DJax is still gone. Branch will swallow up more yardage, but Hackett will be close, and catch more Td's. I see both of them as bottom end #2's.

I was certainly wrong above, as that player is still there. I now wish I would have grabbed Foster for he might drop all the way back to me.

Kevin Jones was a good grab, especially if you can give him the first part of the season to build his strength.

Thanks, rc, and by the way, I am really looking forward to the IBL. I really appreciate you guys asking me aboard.

For the record, I think you'll do great. I put in a strong word for you as they considered the candidates. Excited for you to get involved, best league I've ever been part of. :thumbsup:

All this time, and I thought that your best receiver in Washington reference was to James Thrash. ;)

:thumbsup:

For the record, I think you'll do great. I put in a strong word for you as they considered the candidates. Excited for you to get involved, best league I've ever been part of. :mad:

So we'll get a little involvement this year??? :huh: Are ya going to have some time?

For the record, I think you'll do great. I put in a strong word for you as they considered the candidates. Excited for you to get involved, best league I've ever been part of. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Bomb. That means a lot. Really. Much appreciated. I hope to be an asset, and help to retain the crown.

:thumbsup:

So we'll get a little involvement this year??? :huh: Are ya going to have some time?

I'll have to wait and see once we get closer, because I know I have a handful of weekends full already. Just started my first full time job last week, so I'm still settling in. I will probably be able to give some input and discuss players leading up to things, probably not too involved after that. I'll be doing my own preparation for a new dynasty over the next couple of week, so by the start of July, I should be ready to go! :mad:

I'll have to wait and see once we get closer, because I know I have a handful of weekends full already. Just started my first full time job last week, so I'm still settling in. I will probably be able to give some input and discuss players leading up to things, probably not too involved after that. I'll be doing my own preparation for a new dynasty over the next couple of week, so by the start of July, I should be ready to go! :banana:

Yeah, screech said you would wuss-out.... :first:

Yeah, screech said you would wuss-out.... :first:

I'm sure Screech said a lot of things. Too bad he never said "Wow, my team was actually really good after all those trades." :banana:

I'm sure Screech said a lot of things. Too bad he never said "Wow, my team was actually really good after all those trades." :thumbsup:

Why must you two hide your love for each other :dunno:

Do we have anything firm on ICE? It's still a ways to my next pick, but the picks really roll after ICE Jams :dunno: sometimes. I will be at the dentist from 1:00 till ?? Then I will be on the road for an hour between 2:30 and 3:30. I will check in both times, then hit the road for another hour. I will have my sheets. If someone would give me a call, update me, then I will pick on the fly. 806-202-0265 There is only about a 15 minute period of bad reception. You can try me between 2:30 and 3:30 if needed, but that will be real hit and miss. Signals suck in Southern Siberia :thumbsup: Please call as I do not want to hold things up.

Do we have anything firm on ICE? It's still a ways to my next pick, but the picks really roll after ICE Jams :dunno: sometimes. I will be at the dentist from 1:00 till ?? Then I will be on the road for an hour between 2:30 and 3:30. I will check in both times, then hit the road for another hour. I will have my sheets. If someone would give me a call, update me, then I will pick on the fly. 806-202-0265 There is only about a 15 minute period of bad reception. You can try me between 2:30 and 3:30 if needed, but that will be real hit and miss. Signals suck in Southern Siberia :thumbsup: Please call as I do not want to hold things up.

ICE is an East coaster, right? So I assumed he had gone to lunch. Hopefully he'll check back soon as I have my picks up and ready, so we should make the turn quick.

8.12 TE Jason Witten, DAL

I waited on TE, and Witten is the last in my tier-3 (Gates is tier-1 by himself). The lack of TDs last season is a concern but I expect him to get back to 5-6 this season. I believe he was under utilized last season and the DAL staff (& Romo) will target him more in the redzone, despite TOs presense.