Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**Round Seven/Eight Draft Commentary**

I like the Mark Clayton pick quite a bit. One of the few receivers left with quite a bit of upside. :thumbsdown:

7.01 WR Mark Clayton, BAL

Happy with this pick. Clayton showed some explosiveness towards the end of last season and should take over as the #1 WR target this season. IMO Mason will drop to the third option behind ~BAL TE~. Plus with the addition of McGahee (who I feel is a big upgrade over Lewis) I think BAL will get it's ground game back, opening things more for the passing game.

nan will love that clayton pick when he stops by later.

i guessed right on lou's behalf at 6.9 and now will have a pretty tough choice facing me at 7.4 on his behalf. it will be interesting...

Like the Glenn pick, don't know why a few receivers went off the board ahead of him. 1000 yard receiver this late is nice and he is pretty consistent, in a good offense with a great #1 WR to take the heat off of him - I almost took him with my 6th round pick but was hoping he'd fall.

Mark Clayton is one guy I'm surprised went ahead of Glenn and I'm surprised he's at the top of tier 3 in the FFToday rankings, I just don't see it. Baltimore's offense will still be run first with McGahee. I swear to God all of Clayton's long TDs last year were deflections off another player or he fell on his back and the ball stuck to the stickum on his gloves.

I guess there are three teams that I see as abismal offenses this year and I want to avoid any player on each team and they are Baltimore, Cleveland, and Minnesota.

i agree with everything you said fk. clayton seemed to have only average numbers last year and even then only because of some freak plays, like i remember one game with 2 freak long tds.

that being said, he fits a formula of 50-59 catches and 700+ yards that has been a longstanding proven indicator of wr success the following year. not without fail obviously, but a good reason to see upside there. more on that from nan later im sure. others who fit the formula best this year are braylon edwards and deion branch. last year, for example, lee evans was a breakout candidate suggestion. you probably remember fft having him high last year, and they generally follow this breakout rule fairly closely.

oh. and all of that being said, i like glenn a lot. hes a fantastic WR3. he is an automatic 1100/6 money in the bank pick, and he can always be worth more if TO implodes. great pickup in the 7th.

Yeah I know FFT is following the 3rd year breakout rule for WRs, that worked out pretty well for Michael Clayton last year as well - I think they had him pretty high back then too. I guess part of why I don't like Mark Clayton is Steve McNair, I think I have too many memories of constant injuries for him, he's getting older at 34 and it scares me that if he goes down, Kyle Boller or whoever comes in and you can kiss that entire offense goodbye.

nan will love that clayton pick when he stops by later.

i guessed right on lou's behalf at 6.9 and now will have a pretty tough choice facing me at 7.4 on his behalf. it will be interesting...

well, i dont have to make the tough choice after all. we'll see what lou wouldve done. he is very high on shockey this year. on a list of players he gave me, looks like shockey is a top 3 TE for him and he expects 925/8 from him. if it was me drafting and i really expected that (top 2, maybe #1 TE), then i'd have taken him at 6.8 to make sure i got him. but it wouldve left the team either with no backup RB or no 3rd WR until the eighth, so i wasnt sure i wanted to put lou in that position... but i saw that clash already had plax, and ice already had gates, so jscott was the only threat (i thought) to take shockey. and if he was there at 7.4 i was gonna do it. clash saved me the decision.

instead i take a rb3 for lou. just going off the list he gave me, and warrick dunn is his best available.

im not sure what to make of dunn, or of norwood, or of atlanta at all. that team gives me a sick feeling in my stomach this year. i think id just as soon stay totally away. that being said, lou likes to wait on his rb2 spot and platoon it up nice. with the upside already there in marion barber, warrick dunn is a nice complement. hes a pretty safe bet for 1000+ yards with a few TDs. not a big ceiling, probably not a big downside.

well, i dont have to make the tough choice after all. we'll see what lou wouldve done. he is very high on shockey this year. on a list of players he gave me, looks like shockey is a top 3 TE for him and he expects 925/8 from him. if it was me drafting and i really expected that (top 2, maybe #1 TE), then i'd have taken him at 6.8 to make sure i got him. but it wouldve left the team either with no backup RB or no 3rd WR until the eighth, so i wasnt sure i wanted to put lou in that position... but i saw that clash already had plax, and ice already had gates, so jscott was the only threat (i thought) to take shockey. and if he was there at 7.4 i was gonna do it. clash saved me the decision.

instead i take a rb3 for lou. just going off the list he gave me, and warrick dunn is his best available.

im not sure what to make of dunn, or of norwood, or of atlanta at all. that team gives me a sick feeling in my stomach this year. i think id just as soon stay totally away. that being said, lou likes to wait on his rb2 spot and platoon it up nice. with the upside already there in marion barber, warrick dunn is a nice complement. hes a pretty safe bet for 1000+ yards with a few TDs. not a big ceiling, probably not a big downside.

Shockey is/was definitely on my radar, and I was VERY close to pulling the trigger at the turn.

Dunn seemed like a decent value pick for Lou there. That's a very good running team and Dunn is a super pass protector, so he'll still be seeing some action.

Think this is a little early for Vincent Jackson. I grabbed him in a mock a few weeks, so I like him, but I think he might have lasted one more round. JMO.

definitely think its quite early for vincent jackson. just dont see a SD receiver becoming very valuable right now.

leinart is a good pick. i love him in the 7th. i wonder how many spellings i can possibly see before people get him right though... :mad:

didnt like bruce. i like him ok, but i think he couldve been had significantly later. at this point of his career, im not sure hes more than a pretty average wr3 type.

Not thrilled with this pick, but I didn't think he'd make it back to me. You can never tell with Fumbleweed. :D

:mad: :mad: :cry:

Hey Guys, back for just a few. Have a school meeting at 6:30 for my kids.

Bomb, great job,thanks. I will post when I get home.

Not thrilled with this pick, but I didn't think he'd make it back to me. You can never tell with Fumbleweed. :mad:

You guessed right. He was gonna be my choice at 7.11.

Nice pick of V.Davis Ray. I like him to finish as a top 4 TE this season. I couldn't pull the trigger on him or Shockey at 7.01 and obviously knew they wouldn't make it back to me at 8.12 so nothing I could do but wait to see where they fell. :mad:

I love DA COTCH! I think this kid is gonna be a stud, did really well last year and they signed him to an extension. I think he's gonna be Pennington's Santana Moss, I'm targeting Cotch in all my drafts. I'm outta here guys, please email me the turn picks and I'll get right back atcha.

im really surprised to see heap be, what, the 6th TE off the board and not til the end of the 7th? pretty great value there. he's about on par with any TE not named antonio for me, not sure why he lasted so long.

Heap was #51 on my board, my #2 ranked TE, and I really was hoping to grab him around the corner. I have 2 maybe 3 players, that I'm now looking for around the corner. I feel one of them will get through. I also noted that the next 4 picks are by teams without tE's. We'll have to see.

im not sure i buy the buzz on cotchery. i know hes a year 3 WR and all, but i dont really know what the upside is. i dont see him progressing much more than what he did last year, when he already had 82 catches. this isnt a 100 catch guy. and he ended up with 950/6, which makes him a fine WR3, but i just dont necessarily buy the excitement or upside of figuring you can bet on more than that. those arent the numbers of a guy expecting a breakout year imo. theyre the numbers of a guy coming off of one.

im really surprised to see heap be, what, the 6th TE off the board and not til the end of the 7th? pretty great value there. he's about on par with any TE not named antonio for me, not sure why he lasted so long.

Bomb, going from memory,the same thing occured a week back in the Jetdoc. I think he went later there, and I commented on it. I hope I'm not missing something. he's my #2.

I like the Crotch this year, would have taken him if I'd thought Leinart would fall.

I sure think Coles is still clearly a better wideout.

to be fair, rc, TE wasnt required in that league. so if heap puts up 750/7 again, its not as valuable when its a WR. its not starter caliber unless you start 4 or 5. but in a TE required league, again, i dont know others who surely stick out as better picks. some probably prefer the old favorite in gonzo, some the big mouth shockey, and apparently some love the young upside of kellen or vernon. but heap will be right there in the end, and you got him 10-20 picks after the others.

to be fair, rc, TE wasnt required in that league. so if heap puts up 750/7 again, its not as valuable when its a WR. its not starter caliber unless you start 4 or 5. but in a TE required league, again, i dont know others who surely stick out as better picks. some probably prefer the old favorite in gonzo, some the big mouth shockey, and apparently some love the young upside of kellen or vernon. but heap will be right there in the end, and you got him 10-20 picks after the others.

I understand that, but by later I meant, even more TE's were drafted before him. If my memory serves me right he was 8th in that draft.

I was wrong. He was 5th in that draft.

I understand that, but by later I meant, even more TE's were drafted before him. If my memory serves me right he was 8th in that draft.

Two homer observations on Heap: #1, he cannot stay healthy, #2 McNair is not really looking for him :doublethumbsup:

Two homer observations on Heap: #1, he cannot stay healthy, #2 McNair is not really looking for him :wall:

Who are you :doublethumbsup: He did look at him for 6 td's though.

..........and he played in every game last year??? :mad:

Who are you :wall: He did look at him for 6 td's though.

..........and he played in every game last year??? :mad:

Yep, and as Heap owner I got to listen to all the crap about his ankle, and then his shoulder, and then his focking thumb....oh he played alright, but I over spent on him big time :doublethumbsup: If you take him, prepare for disappointment :mad:

Yep, and as Heap owner I got to listen to all the crap about his ankle, and then his shoulder, and then his focking thumb....oh he played alright, but I over spent on him big time :doublethumbsup: If you take him, prepare for disappointment :mad:

You are dead to me. :wall:

You are dead to me. :doublethumbsup:

:mad: :wall:

Heap was gonna be my pick here.....but alas, I will settle for Berrian. If Grossman can gain some confidence back and throw a good deep ball again, Berrian's the guy that chases it down for big gains.

Heap was gonna be my pick here.....but alas, I will settle for Berrian. If Grossman can gain some confidence back and throw a good deep ball again, Berrian's the guy that chases it down for big gains.

Berrian was gonna be my pick, but I saw you still lacked a TE, so I grabbed Heap on this side of the turn. Berrian is a fine choice here, and one of the 3 I spoke of, has left the buliding.

Sorry for the delay. Left for Bible Study at 5:30 and had meeting after that. Just got home and made the pick while my kids soaped off in the bathtub........ :banana:

Did Ted send his picks to anyone tonight?

He lives in Oregon, so it's still early evening out there....I'm sure he'll check in before he goes to bed.

Sleep well!.....I'm gonna give ted about another hour and then do the same.

Nice oppurtunity for a 1/2 way through the draft recap!!

I have forwarded my list to Bomb. The list is good for rounds 8,9, and 10. I should make it home for 11 and so on and e back all morning and early afternoon on Friday.

If Bomb is unable to check in from time to time, I have asked him to let me know so that I can send it off to Mike or Jet. Sorry guys, my schedule stinks this week. And thank you once again Bom, you ARE the great one in my book.

didnt like bruce. i like him ok, but i think he couldve been had significantly later. at this point of his career, im not sure hes more than a pretty average wr3 type.

Why do you hate me? :wub: :( :D

:)