Sign in to follow this  
ToadSprocket

Travis Henry, now a Bronco.

I'm guessing he's most definitely a top 10 overall selection but just because he's on the powerful running Denver team, how high does he go?

Shanahan who seems consumed by his credentials as a RB maker will surely feed this one. But can Henry's body take the pounding?

WDYT?

Of course he's a Top 5 RB.

He was top 10 on a titans team that he didn't play much on the first 4 weeks (?) and STILL finished top 10 behind that pathetic line, and with Vince running for TD's.

He is now on a team with a line that can make a retarded chimp rush for 1000 yards.

Henry will be a Top 5 back, he'll last all year, he wont get pulled at the goal line, he'll have a QB that will help take the pressure off of him, as well as that world famous line.

I'm not sure where I'm drafting, but I guaranteed you that if Henry is available to me in the 1st round, I'm taking him unless I pick in the top 3 (LT/SJAX/LJ).

HTH

FWIW

WWJD

YWIA

He was top 10 on a titans team that he didn't play much on the first 4 weeks (?) and STILL finished top 10 behind that pathetic line, and with Vince running for TD's.

He is now on a team with a line that can make a retarded chimp rush for 1000 yards.

Henry will be a Top 5 back, he'll last all year, he wont get pulled at the goal line, he'll have a QB that will help take the pressure off of him, as well as that world famous line.

I'm not sure where I'm drafting, but I guaranteed you that if Henry is available to me in the 1st round, I'm taking him unless I pick in the top 3 (LT/SJAX/LJ).

HTH

FWIW

WWJD

YWIA

I see things the same way you do, BP. I just haven't found many others that agree with me. Maybe they'll come around.

I don't know if I'm as enthusiastic as the guy above, but it sure is a possibility. Henry is a great power runner with good shiftiness and cutback ability. When Shannahan constructed his RB scheme it was as if he had Henry in mind right from the start...OK, maybe not, but Henry fits the scheme perfectly. Combine that with the ease of schedule for Henry and the rushing offense, and you have what could be a great steal at the end of round 1 or early 2. Top 5? Maybe. Top 10? Almost certainly. The great thing about Henry is that he should otproduce his ADP, which is an early second rounder I believe. That makes him a good value.

It'll be the latest chapter in Shanny's book "How to make a ff owner pull their hair out" after Henry has 6 very productive weeks, making you look like a ff genius, and then gets inexplicably benched for Mike Bell (whom you were smart enough to handcuff) who then gets dinged up and instead of doing the logical thing and going back to Henry, Shanny then decides to test out his young talent like Selvin Young and maybe Andre Hall.... But if you're in one of my leagues Henry is most definitely a top 5 pick.

I don't know if I'm as enthusiastic as the guy above, but it sure is a possibility. Henry is a great power runner with good shiftiness and cutback ability. When Shannahan constructed his RB scheme it was as if he had Henry in mind right from the start...OK, maybe not, but Henry fits the scheme perfectly. Combine that with the ease of schedule for Henry and the rushing offense, and you have what could be a great steal at the end of round 1 or early 2. Top 5? Maybe. Top 10? Almost certainly. The great thing about Henry is that he should otproduce his ADP, which is an early second rounder I believe. That makes him a good value.

I am debating about taking him in the 7 spot in a redraft. I believe he can outproduce that spot too.

Didn't Henry get suspended last year or the year before due to substance abuse?

basically Henry is out of the program after week 4.

What that means is that after week 4, it's as if Henry has never been busted for anything, EVER!

If he smokes weed and pop's positive come week 4&1 day, he get's a 1st time offense punishment (not sure what that is anymore, what with all the rule changes. Either a slap on the wrist, or a 1-4 game suspension).

The point of this is that it's been what, 3-4 years since Henry popped positive for anything, so why would he blow a golden opportunity like this and toke up?

Ohh, and as I wrote in the geek club when someone asked this same question....

Shanahan has a track record of sticking with his work horse back, if said workhorse back is good.

Shanahan has a track record of RBBC if he has a trash heap of RB's to choose from.

Henry is a good/very good back anyways, so he'll ride him like TD and Portis :cheers:

If Henry has the full load based on what the Bells did last year he could be around 1700/10 with 9 games over 100 yards. That sounds pretty solid to me. Unfortunately you can’t assume he will play every game, and more than likely Mike Bell will still take some carries. So that would put him around 1300/10. Which doesn’t stack up with the top 6-8 backs. Is he a first rounder? I would say yes, but I wouldn’t take him before:

LaDainian Tomlinson

Steven Jackson

Shaun Alexander

Larry Johnson

Frank Gore

Joseph Addai

Brian Westbrook

Laurence Maroney (assuming he is healthy)

But if you have the 9th pick deciding between him, FWP, Rudi Johnson and Ronnie Brown will be tough.

I love it. Keep the hype machine rolling.

The only thing that keeps coming to my mind is . . .

Antowain Smith.

Good luck with that.

LaDainian Tomlinson

Steven Jackson

Shaun Alexander

Larry Johnson

Frank Gore

Joseph Addai

Brian Westbrook

But if you have the 9th pick deciding between him, FWP, Rudi Johnson and Ronnie Brown will be tough.

I think this is just about spot on.

Of course, since he's a Bronco, it means he might not start. :cheers:

(just kidding, I think he will. but would not take him until end of 1st round)

HTH

FWIW

WWJD

YWIA

I agree with everything above except the QB comment. Cutler has not proven that yet

It'll be the latest chapter in Shanny's book "How to make a ff owner pull their hair out" after Henry has 6 very productive weeks, making you look like a ff genius, and then gets inexplicably benched for Mike Bell (whom you were smart enough to handcuff) who then gets dinged up and instead of doing the logical thing and going back to Henry, Shanny then decides to test out his young talent like Selvin Young and maybe Andre Hall.... But if you're in one of my leagues Henry is most definitely a top 5 pick.

If you believe this will happen you haven't been following Denver long enough. Shanny was doing this to find a clear cut #1 RB. Now he has one and he will use him, just like in the old days.

2001 Buffalo Bills 13 12 213 729 3.4 25 4 2 34

2002 Buffalo Bills 16 16 325 1438 4.4 34 13 10 72

2003 Buffalo Bills 15 15 331 1356 4.1 64 10 5 76

2004 Buffalo Bills 10 5 94 326 3.5 19 0 0 17

2005 Tennessee Titans 10 1 88 335 3.8 29 0 2 11

2006 Tennessee Titans 14 13 270 1211 4.5 70 7 9 48

Lots of RBs come out strong for the first few years, get injured, and then spend the end of their careers trying to get back to where they were (jamal lewis among others comes to mind). Henry will be 28 in October.

But Henry has a few things going for him.... last year he posted a solid 4.5 rushing average, on a bad team. A lot of RBs who've past their prime can't do that. Last year, the Broncos averaged 4.4 rushing yards per attempt as a team, so it's logical that Henry will continue to do well if he gets the carries. Unless, there's some clash of running styles between Henry and Shanahan's system that I don't know about.

In any case, who's willing to bet their #1 draft pick that he'll get the carries? Not me, but I see why others will - upside.

If you believe this will happen you haven't been following Denver long enough. Shanny was doing this to find a clear cut #1 RB. Now he has one and he will use him, just like in the old days.

Let me guess... You've already had a draft where you potentially wasted a first rounder on him and now you're trying to convince yourself you did the right thing? And basically what you're saying is that Shanny's tried out Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Portis, Q. Griffin, Droughns, a couple of Bell's, Ron Dayne, and Garrison Hearst and now all of a sudden Shanny's going to say "I have finally found my clear cut #1 RB!" You better put a lot more sugar in that spoon of B.S. before you shove it down my throat!

IIRC, Portis WAS a #1 RB in Denver and was used as such. Why he was traded after the season, I don't know, but he was damn productive that season.

Why he was traded after the season, I don't know, but he was damn productive that season.

Because Denver is an RB factory, and they got the best CB in the NFL in return.

As a long time Raider follower, I'll agree with the assessment that The Rat has ridden RB's if he's had them. This RBBC committee crap and the games he played last year were primarily a result from the talent Denver did NOT have at the position. Tatum Bell is a creampuff, and Mike Bell is basically a plumber. The reason they didn't have the talent was because they traded their stud RB for the best cover corner in the game. Now they've got a very bad dude playing on the opposite side of the field as well. This may be the best CB tandem since Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes played together. Seriously.

Having said that, they'll be patrolling the field for what already was a very solid Denver defense. That means a lot of close games. This will fit the Rat's plan to bring the rook along slowly at QB. Oh, they'll open up the offense some (the Rat's ego won't have it any other way), but look for most of the big-play stuff to come off of play action and bootleg/misdirection stuff. This means heavy work for the RB, and they just paid a buttload of money to bring one in. That guy's gonna get the work.

The question is, can Travis Henry hold up? Every once in a while a guy who's seen limited work for a few years will put together a season where it all comes together, where he goes relatively injury-free. That could very well happen for Travis Henry, and if it does he is easily a top-five back.

This is from a silver and black perspective, and yes, I own the guy on my FF team. :(

IIRC, Portis WAS a #1 RB in Denver and was used as such. Why he was traded after the season, I don't know, but he was damn productive that season.

I believe Portis was traded to the Redskins because he wanted a ton of money and Denver wasn't going to pay so he was traded to the Skins for Champ Bailey.

I don't know... I've read every one of these responses and nobody has convinced me that Henry is not overhyped. If anything I'm becoming more and more convinced that I've pegged his ranking pretty accurately. If Henry has some awesome games where he rips it up for 150 total yds. and 2 TD's I wouldn't be too surprised because every RB Denver has had in the last 10 years has been able to do that. But if Henry starts every game, doesn't get hurt, and becomes Shanny's clear cut #1 back for the entire season I will fall to the floor and go into convulsions with shock! Who knows, it'll probably come back to haunt me when I play the guy who drafts Henry in the fantasy bowl and he blows up!!! (But I doubt it...)

I believe Portis was traded to the Redskins because he wanted a ton of money and Denver wasn't going to pay so he was traded to the Skins for Champ Bailey.

Good Memory :thumbsup:

Portis took over full time duty game 4 his rookie year, and was the primary back the rest of that year, getting easily 80-90% of the carries.

Then year #2 he was still the primary back, getting 80-90% of the carries as well.

He demanded top RB pay, and the Broncos told him to fock off and traded his sorry ass to the Redskins for Champ :mellow:

Ever since then, his career has been going downhill :first:

Mike Bell is a threat as a vulture and very well could be inserted at goaline regardless of how well Henry runs. I don't think Bell has any chance of stealing reg carries from Henry cause he has no wind and tires with fair ease but those little 3-5 yard runs for the TD he was pretty dependable for.

Good Memory :cheers:

Portis took over full time duty game 4 his rookie year, and was the primary back the rest of that year, getting easily 80-90% of the carries.

Then year #2 he was still the primary back, getting 80-90% of the carries as well.

Clinton Portis NEVER got 80% of the Denver carries, but that doesn't change the fact that despite what people seem to believe, Shanahan DOES NOT favor RBBC.

I see RBBC as a situation where no 1 RB gets at least 70% of his teams carries. In his 12 years coaching the Broncos, Shanahan has really only used RBBC for 3 seasons, 01, 05, & 06. Here are Shanahan's main RB carries for each of his seasons.

1995-T Davis-237 carries, 71% of RB carries

1996-T Davis-345 carries, 76%

1997-T Davis-369 carries, 81%

1998 T Davis-392 carries, 86%

1999-O Gary-(T Davis blew out his knee in week 4)-276 carries, 87% of RB carries from week 5 on (Gary had ZERO carries in weeks 1-4)

2000-M Anderson-297 carries, 68% 78% (This should technically count as a RBBC season, but since the Broncos had T Davis trying to come back from his injury, PLUS they had O Gary coming off of an 1100 yard season, Anderson got ZERO carries in game 1. Futhermore, he was injured early in game 10 and only had 1 carry, and didn't play in week 11. If you factor out those 3 games, Anderson garnered 78% of the RB carries in the weeks where he received normal playing time)

2001-RBBC season #1; Anderson had 175 carries (43%), Davis had 167 carries (41%), and Gary had 57 carries (15%) This RBBC situation was more a result of TOO MANY options. In the three previous seasons, Shanahan had a 2000 yard rusher (TD in '98), an 1100 yard rusher (Gary '99), and a 1500 yard rusher (Anderson '00)

2002-C Portis-273 carries, 69% 76% (Again, this should technically count as a RBBC season, but since Portis was a rookie, he got 5 carries in week 1, and 4 carries in week 2. If you discount those carries and games, Portis had 76% of the carries from week 3 on.)

2003-C Portis-290 carries, 61% 77% (Portis only played in 13 games, due to minor injuries. If you discount his missed games, he accounted for 77% of Denver's rushes.)

2004-R Droughns-275 carries, 60% 73% (The year after Portis was traded, Quentin Griffin was supposed to be THE MAN. He had 81 carries the 1st 4 games, while Droughns had a total of 10. When Griffin couldn't succeed, they turned the reigns over to Reuben. If you discount games 1-4, Reuben had 73% of the rushes.)

2005-RBBC season #2; Mike Anderson had 239 carries (50%), and Tatum Bell had 173 carries (36%).

2006-RBBC season #3; Tatum Bell had 233 carries (53%), and Mike Bell had 157 carries (37%).

So in the past few years, Shanahan has employed a RBBC system, IMO because he had to, not because he wanted to. He tried to make T Bell his main RB in 2005 and 2006, but Bell couldn't seize the job. When he had a healthy RB who could handle the load, he rode him.

Clinton Portis NEVER got 80% of the Denver carries, but that doesn't change the fact that despite what people seem to believe, Shanahan DOES NOT favor RBBC.

I see RBBC as a situation where no 1 RB gets at least 70% of his teams carries. In his 12 years coaching the Broncos, Shanahan has really only used RBBC for 3 seasons, 01, 05, & 06. Here are Shanahan's main RB carries for each of his seasons.

1999-O Gary-(T Davis blew out his knee in week 4)-276 carries, 87% of RB carries from week 5 on (Gary had ZERO carries in weeks 1-4)

2000-M Anderson-297 carries, 68% 78% (This should technically count as a RBBC season, but since the Broncos had T Davis trying to come back from his injury, PLUS they had O Gary coming off of an 1100 yard season, Anderson got ZERO carries in game 1. Futhermore, he was injured early in game 10 and only had 1 carry, and didn't play in week 11. If you factor out those 3 games, Anderson garnered 78% of the RB carries in the weeks where he received normal playing time)

2001-RBBC season #1; Anderson had 175 carries (43%), Davis had 167 carries (41%), and Gary had 57 carries (15%) This RBBC situation was more a result of TOO MANY options. In the three previous seasons, Shanahan had a 2000 yard rusher (TD in '98), an 1100 yard rusher (Gary '99), and a 1500 yard rusher (Anderson '00)

2002-C Portis-273 carries, 69% 76% (Again, this should technically count as a RBBC season, but since Portis was a rookie, he got 5 carries in week 1, and 4 carries in week 2. If you discount those carries and games, Portis had 76% of the carries from week 3 on.)

2003-C Portis-290 carries, 61% 77% (Portis only played in 13 games, due to minor injuries. If you discount his missed games, he accounted for 77% of Denver's rushes.)

2004-R Droughns-275 carries, 60% 73% (The year after Portis was traded, Quentin Griffin was supposed to be THE MAN. He had 81 carries the 1st 4 games, while Droughns had a total of 10. When Griffin couldn't succeed, they turned the reigns over to Reuben. If you discount games 1-4, Reuben had 73% of the rushes.)

2005-RBBC season #2; Mike Anderson had 239 carries (50%), and Tatum Bell had 173 carries (36%).

2006-RBBC season #3; Tatum Bell had 233 carries (53%), and Mike Bell had 157 carries (37%).

So in the past few years, Shanahan has employed a RBBC system, IMO because he had to, not because he wanted to. He tried to make T Bell his main RB in 2005 and 2006, but Bell couldn't seize the job. When he had a healthy RB who could handle the load, he rode him.

fantastic stats :cheers:

Henry will be the main back, and unless he's winded after a long run, I can't fathom Shanahan pulling him at the goalline! Hell, he used Portis at the goalline, and Portis couldn't ever seem to punch it in, yet he kept using him donw there.... why? cause he sticks with his #1 back if he has a #1 back. And Henry is the #1 back. :lol:

Has Henry had any kind of injury problem?

'04 I thought he was bumped in Buff for Willis.

Not sure about '05 in Tenn.

I think he was running on a broken leg one year in Buffalo. :wall:

in 2004 is when he had that fracture in his leg with buffalo.

he had an ankle sprain in 2005, but that's been it in tennessee.

in 2005, he also served his suspension, but as I've mentioned, come week 4, he's out of the substance abuse program, so as long as he keeps clean for the first 4 weeks, he won't be a liability for that.

2001 Buffalo Bills 13 12 213 729 3.4 25 4 2 34

2002 Buffalo Bills 16 16 325 1438 4.4 34 13 10 72

2003 Buffalo Bills 15 15 331 1356 4.1 64 10 5 76

2004 Buffalo Bills 10 5 94 326 3.5 19 0 0 17

2005 Tennessee Titans 10 1 88 335 3.8 29 0 2 11

2006 Tennessee Titans 14 13 270 1211 4.5 70 7 9 48

Lots of RBs come out strong for the first few years, get injured, and then spend the end of their careers trying to get back to where they were (jamal lewis among others comes to mind). Henry will be 28 in October.

But Henry has a few things going for him.... last year he posted a solid 4.5 rushing average, on a bad team. A lot of RBs who've past their prime can't do that. Last year, the Broncos averaged 4.4 rushing yards per attempt as a team, so it's logical that Henry will continue to do well if he gets the carries. Unless, there's some clash of running styles between Henry and Shanahan's system that I don't know about.

In any case, who's willing to bet their #1 draft pick that he'll get the carries? Not me, but I see why others will - upside.

interested in a new league with geeks here on fftoday for free?????go here and sign up if you are.......i would love to have you in the league....http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=275823

interested in a new league with geeks here on fftoday for free?????go here and sign up if you are.......i would love to have you in the league....http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=275823

I'm a big believer that T. Henry is gonna blow up this year. I just traded my 2nd and 3rd round picks (#23 and #26) for a 9th, 15th and the keepable rights to Travis (I can keep him in the 6th round this year and the 3rd round next year). Pairing him up with SJax will make for a powerful core for my team this year. At least, that's the plan...

If Henry has the full load based on what the Bells did last year he could be around 1700/10 with 9 games over 100 yards. That sounds pretty solid to me. Unfortunately you can’t assume he will play every game, and more than likely Mike Bell will still take some carries. So that would put him around 1300/10. Which doesn’t stack up with the top 6-8 backs. Is he a first rounder? I would say yes, but I wouldn’t take him before:

LaDainian Tomlinson

Steven Jackson

Shaun Alexander

Larry Johnson

Frank Gore

Joseph Addai

Brian Westbrook

I'd take FWP and Rudi over Henry without hesitation. After that though, it's between Henry, Bush, MJD, Ronnie Brown, and McGahee.

I'd take FWP and Rudi over Henry without hesitation. After that though, it's between Henry, Bush, MJD, Ronnie Brown, and McGahee.

it's actually scary to think how a travis henry can be in a denver uniform if healthy all year he could win the nfl rushing title :dunno: or is it just sarcasm to drive guys off of who i will take in the 1st round of my draft?

This is absolutely correct. Shanny doesn't like spending money on a RB. Ever since TD, he has plugged and played a RB until it came time to pay them. The past 2 season he hasn't been able to find a guy that he trusts. So he had to actually spend some dough on that position. He wouldnt've spend that kind of money on Travis to platoon him with someone. He's going to get the carry unless he proves ineffective. I would say that 1200/10 should be modest projections.

LOL at people thinking they have Shanny figured out. There is absolutely no point in trying. You cannot gamble with a 1st round pick and needless to say, a Denver RB is exactly that. He would bench Henry in a second for Mike Bell or whoever because he's the king of motivational mind games and you will be stuck holding the bag. I didn't heed the warnings of the Denver RBs last year and I will never do it again. 1st rd. Denver RB pick :thumbsdown:

I'm willing to concede that Henry could put up 1st round #s but I'm not willing to throw away 2007 to find out. Mid 2nd would be the earliest I'd go.

I like how people are picturing this guy as some sort of unpredictable mad scientist. This may be hard to believe by many of you, but no group of fans knows this guy better than the older generation of Raider fans. I mean, he WAS our coach in a previous life time...

Sure, he's an arrogant prima donna, with an ego the size of Rosie's left ass cheek. But he's a damned smart football coach as well. He won't play mind games just for the sake of playing them, and I have no doubt he'll ride Travis Henry once he's assured that guy can handle the load.

The job of workhorse stud is Henry's to lose...