Sign in to follow this  
wreckingballz

Calling Washington Homers- Portis info

:unsure: Washington does not have any players on their team that are worthy to be starters on your fantasy team. They suck. HTH

:unsure: Washington does not have any players on their team that are worthy to be starters on your fantasy team. They suck. HTH

Well guess again-

I think Cooley is in store for over 800 yrds and 7 TD's- Ill take that

I think Betts has 1000 yrds and 8 TD's- Ill take that

Portis a wild card- if healthy- hes a #1 back you can get in the 3rd- if he isnt- your f#$%d!

Portis is making out worse than it is. He doesn't want to play in Preseason or get hit alot at Camp right away. I seriously doubt its anyhting.

I have high hopes for Cooley too, but if he has to stay in and block, the whole team suffers. He's by far their best receiver. Portis is a pu$$, and not near the overall back that Betts is! :pointstosky:

Well guess again-

Portis a wild card- if healthy- hes a #1 back you can get in the 3rd- if he isnt- your f#$%d!

i think you're all missing something here. Gibbs will ride Portis if healthy. like 320+ carries ride. leaving 100-110 carries for Betts. if he averaged 9.2 yds/carry he might near these numbers........and send his jersey straight to Canton...

and to respond to remote, if portis is not as good an "overall" back why is he the starter ahead of him.....3 years in a row...are you retarded of just in love with the guy...it's obvious you drafted him and no amount of posting here or anywhere else about how good he is will move him ahead of Portis on the depth chart.....

i think you're all missing something here. Gibbs will ride Portis if healthy. like 320+ carries ride. leaving 100-110 carries for Betts. if he averaged 9.2 yds/carry he might near these numbers........and send his jersey straight to Canton...

and to respond to remote, if portis is not as good an "overall" back why is he the starter ahead of him.....3 years in a row...are you retarded of just in love with the guy...it's obvious you drafted him and no amount of posting here or anywhere else about how good he is will move him ahead of Portis on the depth chart.....

Easy to explain. I stated Betts was a better all around back. He is when you take into consideration his ability to catch the ball. The reason Portis has been the starter is because he is a much more explosive running back. He offers them the homerun threat on each carry. I'm not discounting his worth, only stating that Betts is also good and can do more. While Betts was in, they threw him the ball alot. He had more success in that offense then Portis did. His all around game is better, so much so that any retard could see it. :doh:

..............and no I don't own him on any of my 3 teams currently, but would love to. Last year I scooped him up in the IBL, and the Portis owners were too proud to trade for him, so I was STUCK with his production, and the were stuck with PORTIS!!! :headbanger:

Waiting with baited breath for post #4. You see, we all are entitled to our own opinions here! :mad:

Portis is a top 10 talent when healthy, but I don't see him getting enough carries to be that good this year. I think his knee problems are worse than the team is letting on. I think it's more than just not wanting to play in preseason.

From Gibbs point of view, it makes sense to cut back on Portis's touches so you can keep him healthy all year. The knee problem isn't going to go away this season. They can just try to make it bearable. So you cut back on Portis's touches and use Betts, who's proven that he can be an impact player on this team. Hopefully then you have both backs healthy for the whole year. But from a fantasy point of view, I think it will be a nightmare (think Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell from a few years ago).

Easy to explain. I stated Betts was a better all around back. He is when you take into consideration his ability to catch the ball. The reason Portis has been the starter is because he is a much more explosive running back. He offers them the homerun threat on each carry. I'm not discounting his worth, only stating that Betts is also good and can do more. While Betts was in, they threw him the ball alot. He had more success in that offense then Portis did. His all around game is better, so much so that any retard could see it. :overhead:

..............and no I don't own him on any of my 3 teams currently, but would love to. Last year I scooped him up in the IBL, and the Portis owners were too proud to trade for him, so I was STUCK with his production, and the were stuck with PORTIS!!! :dunno:

Waiting with baited breath for post #4. You see, we all are entitled to our own opinions here! :lol:

RC -- much repect for you but totally disagree.

1. Betts had better numbers becasue Washington played cupcakes for most of the last 8 games against the run. I think Wash line coach said a few months ago had Portis been playing he would have done even better. Also The Line started to learn Saunders system better.

2. Portis is maybe the best blocking RB in football - Better than betts and maybe better than anyone other than maybe Edge. Also recieving Betts might be a little better but come on Betts is no Faulk either. Portis is also the better short yardage runner of the two.

I would argue Portis is the better overall back when healthy.

I think you are basing to much on 06 and how Betts played - that was the first time he even looked decent in his career other than 1 or 2 other games. Portis has been great every year he has been healthy.

Still think Portis is playing this a little to stay out of preseason work and games but we will see.

1. Betts had better numbers becasue Washington played cupcakes for most of the last 8 games against the run. I think Wash line coach said a few months ago had Portis been playing he would have done even better. Also The Line started to learn Saunders system better.

2. Portis is maybe the best blocking RB in football - Better than betts and maybe better than anyone other than maybe Edge. Also recieving Betts might be a little better but come on Betts is no Faulk either. Portis is also the better short yardage runner of the two.

I think you are basing to much on 06 and how Betts played - that was the first time he even looked decent in his career other than 1 or 2 other games. Portis has been great every year he has been healthy.

Still think Portis is playing this a little to stay out of preseason work and games but we will see.

You are right. We will see soon. We are both smart enough to realize that the truth most likely falls somewhere between our two stances. I can truthfully say one thing though. I was an avoid on Portis last season too. I don't care how good of a blocker you are suppose to be. If you can't get on the field, or when you do, are afraid to lower your shoulder and do it, you aren't a very good blocker anymore.

What I'm more concerned about is if this is a RBBC situation, or, is everyone speculating that Portis will produce for 1/2 a season and go town and Betts will take over like last year.

I will take Portis in the 3rd and Betts in the 7th it seems like a good insurance policy on some great RB2 production.

Summary:

Portis will either play above (if healthy) or below (if injured) his ADP. He is the epitome of a 'High Risk/High Reward' player.

I'll consider Portis as early as the late 2nd, depending on how the board pans out at that point. He's a Top 5 back in the league when healthy. I drafted him with the 6th overall pick last year and he produced well - despite the various injuries, Marc Brunell as his starting QB, and Al Saunders' ridiculous playbook - until breaking his hand against the Eagles in Week 9.

Drafting Ladell Betts for insurance requires an earlier pick than most other handcuffs, though.

Portis is a stud- probably one of the top 7 backs in the league- Betts is a solid backup who just happens to catch well- the only thing he does better than portis! if portis stays healthy he will easily get over 300 carries this year with the opportunity for 1500 total yards again :overhead:

well said remote controller- i am just gonna take it that cool canadian air caused you temporary insanity- relax you are back in the south.....aka God's Country :overhead:

Moz, I agree with you 100% on this. Those who think Betts is a better back by ANY measure have very very short memories and are fooling themselves. As you said he may be a slightly better reciever out of the backfield but thats about it.

And FWIW, a good friend of mine who is also in my main league told me this the other day. Again, take it for what its worth but according to my friend a guy that works with him has a niece who dates Portis. She said that Portis' knee is fine and he is just using it as an excuse to avoid the rigors of training camp.

Initially, I was worried about the tendinitis thing but after Dr. James Andrews looked at it last week and basically said Portis was fine then Im not really too concerned. I think he is just trying to sit out pre-season and thats without the little tabloid tidbit my friend gave me.

Im picking 10th in a DC area league. If Portis is there at #15 Im taking him.

Portis is fine. You folks who don't know football(only Fantasy) are blowing it out of proportion. Marshall Faulk had tendinitis in his knee every since he left Indy, didn't stop him from getting the MVP(in Saunders system). Injuries are a risk to anyone who puts on pads. It amazing how many of us love drew brees. Did we forget about the shoulder injury that got him out of SD? what about shaun alexander or Westbrook? C'mon Portis is getting no love because he f*ked a lot of yall last year. and he still had 7TD's. Betts is better than CP, please get off the dope. Betts recieved a lot of passes last year because there was a young QB in the pocket. He got the yards because nobody knew him. Where are the football people at? And as far as practice goes just ask A.I. about that.

Portis is fine. You folks who don't know football(only Fantasy) are blowing it out of proportion. Marshall Faulk had tendinitis in his knee every since he left Indy, didn't stop him from getting the MVP(in Saunders system). Injuries are a risk to anyone who puts on pads. It amazing how many of us love drew brees. Did we forget about the shoulder injury that got him out of SD? what about shaun alexander or Westbrook? C'mon Portis is getting no love because he f*ked a lot of yall last year. and he still had 7TD's. Betts is better than CP, please get off the dope. Betts recieved a lot of passes last year because there was a young QB in the pocket. He got the yards because nobody knew him. Where are the football people at? And as far as practice goes just ask A.I. about that.

This guy might be on to something..

I got this off another site I visit frequently..A letter from the editor on Clinton P

Do you ever feel like you’re out on an island completely by yourself regarding a certain burning issue in fantasy football? Think really hard. I’m sure you’ve felt it before. Can’t think of anything? Okay, let me give you an example then – because there’s one currently that makes my blood boil.

Why is everyone hating on Clinton Portis? Okay, never mind. I understand the “why.” There are plenty of reasons, but that doesn’t mean I have to agree with them, does it? Heck no…and quite frankly, I don’t – not one iota.

If you’re not quite sure what I’m alluding to, I’ll just come out and say it – PORTIS IS RANKED WAY TOO LOW ACROSS THE BOARD HEADING INTO THE 2007 FANTASY SEASON.

After going out and buying 20 fantasy football magazines (give or take a few) a couple weeks ago, I’m just now finishing all of them. The one thing I noticed is that Portis was ranked as low as 53rd overall in one of them. Not the 53rd RB, the 53rd player – but wouldn’t you love to see him at the beginning of round six in your 10 team draft? Come on! There’s no way he’ll last that long – so why the low ranking? I realize that’s the extreme end of the spectrum, but the highest I saw him ranked in any publication was 13th. I’d guess his average ranking was somewhere between 18 and 25. In conjunction with that, his current ADP (average draft position) according to many reliable sources is 2.8. That means that seven out of 12 owners are passing on Portis as their RB2. This is a guy that was a LEGIT RB1 – a top five OVERALL fantasy player – one year ago at this time.

I have to be honest, this makes me borderline angry.

Injuries are bad. Injuries are scary. I get it…but seriously, this guy is NOT injury-prone. He made a freaking spectacular tackle on Cincy’s Keiwan Ratliff with less than three minutes into the first preseason game of 2006 after Marc Brunell threw an interception that Ratliff returned 52 yards. Portis’ shoulder-shattering hit caused him to suffer a subluxation that made Daniel Snyder and Joe Gibbs nearly poop their pants. After resting for the remainder of the preseason, he then played in six of the team’s first seven games with his partially dislocated shoulder, prior to breaking his left hand in week 10. What people totally forget, is that considering the circumstances, he played pretty freaking well, racking up 693 total yards and seven TDs in those seven contests (really six contests, because he played only half of the week one and week 10 games).

I know what you’re thinking – two injuries in one season makes him injury-prone. But, here’s the thing – he could have easily played an entire season had Washington felt they still had a shot at making the playoffs. The team elected to focus on 2007 and getting Portis healthy for the long term. The broken hand served as an excuse for the ‘Skins to get Portis’ shoulder operated on early and get him 100% for 2007 – they virtually admitted that the following week in their weekly press conferences…and if you want to let the knee tendonitis scare you away, that’s your prerogative, but several of the world’s best athletes played through that for their entire careers – most notably Michael Jordan.

But that has been seemingly forgotten by all of the people focused on Betts’ 1,154-yard, 53-reception season. People, many a schlep of an NFL runner has gained 1,000 yards at least once in their career. That does not mean this guy can unseat one of the most talented and statistically accomplished backs of the last five NFL seasons.

I understand the theory behind the Betts factor, but I don’t agree with it – and I’m not calling him a schlep...I am, however, clearly calling him a back-up and nothing more. There’s no doubt the kid played out of his mind in 2006 after Portis’ season ended in week 10, but many prognosticators are anticipating an even 50-50 split between the two backs. That’s absolute craziness. We’re looking at Portis, who has barely entered his prime and is only 26 years old. The guy averaged 1,483 yards, 11.3 TDs and 4.9 yards per carry during his first four NFL seasons. Do you REALLY think a career back-up like Betts – who played great last season, no doubt – will take 50% of Portis’ work? If you’re answer is yes, and you’re willing to pass on Portis in the second round, may the fantasy gods help you.

If you don’t believe me, I’ll show you…because the proof is in the pudding baby. The proof is ALWAYS in the pudding. Let’s take a look at the carry numbers during the games when both backs played last season. Portis averaged 20.2 carries during those six games (including the second half of week one against Minnesota, but not including the first half of week 10 against the Eagles when he suffered his season-ending hand injury). Betts, on the other hand, averaged a measly 8.5 carries in those games. Analyzing it further – Betts only equaled Portis’ carries once, while recording two games with two or less carries. Folks, that was while Portis was admittedly only at 65% health. Come on. This year, he’ll enter the season at 100% health. I’ll ask you again – do you REALLY think Betts will cut into Portis’ work that much in 2007?

Apparently seven out of 12 of you believe that enough to pass on him not once but TWICE in your seasonal drafts.

I understand there’s a 58.3-repeating-percent chance that you’re reading this and scowling right now, but I’ll come out and say what everyone else is scared too: Portis is a legit fantasy RB1, and he’ll perform like it in 2007. If you’re smart enough to take him at the beginning of round two this season, you’ll be very happy.

Betts, on the other hand, will only be valuable in two scenarios. In deep PPR leagues, he’ll put up enough points to be worthy of a roster spot as an RB4 or RB5 – and of course, if Portis does get hurt again – and that’s a huge “if” – Betts will be as invaluable as he was last season.

Despite the presence of Betts, Portis is still the main weapon in Al Saunders’ offense, meaning he should return to 1,300 – 1,500 yard rushing status in 2007, and his nose for the goal line will get him in there at least 10 times.

Sounds like a steal to me :lol:

The way I look at it is i'll take Portis with a high 2nd round pick no problem knowing that i'll have to take Betts earlier than i'd like. The fact is Al Saunders is the offensive coordinator and is money for producing great fantasy RB's. I don't believe at anytime that it will be a RBBC, but one stud RB whether it is Portis or Betts (and that's only if Portis is hurt).

Portis is one of the best RB's in the league, and I believe he will be fine come the regular season week 1.

T.O. didn't need preseason last year, LT never needs preseason and Portis is the same way.

So go ahead and draft the likes of Edge, McGahee, Ronne Brown, Reggie Bush, MJD, Jacobs, Benson..........i'll still take Portis.

For everyone who thinks CP is injury prone, let me just give you something else to think about:

1) In high School CP had the same shoulder surgery on the opposite shoulder, Wow look @ the #'s since then.

2) how high do you have frank gore? 2 reconstructed knees in college and a broken hand this summer! But CP is injury prone?

3) Adrian Peterson broke his collar bone after CP seperated his shoulder. Seems no one remebers that well enough to call him injury prone.

For those of you on the #46(Betts) bandwagon...it only takes 60 yards a game to be a 1000 yard rusher.

Well guess again-

Betts 1000 yds??!! NO WAY.. Portis IS the man not a wild card.. check his career stats .. solid and he DOES NOT have a history of injuries..sit back and watch, and learn

Portis is the greatest back on the face of the Earth. :doublethumbsup:

...............and will once again tank, cuz he's a pu$$ :thumbsup:

Well another reason people are not as high on Portis is because Jason Campbell is a 2nd-year QB and first year starter.

Campbell will have to prove himself so that defenses can't key on Portis.

And even if Portis is 100% healthy for Week 1, he has simply not shown the ability to remain healthy recently - which means Betts is an absolute must-have handcuff.

Here's a couple of tips:

1. Portis is a stud.

2. Betts ran vs. the easiest run schedule in the league when he was starting last year when Ports was out with injury.

Is Samuels scheduled to return soon? I know he had gone down with an injury a couple weeks ago, and it didn't sound serious. Any word on his return?

I like Portis way more than most other second round backs, namely McGahee, Brown, MJD, Maroney. But that WSH offense has to open things up a bit so Portis can run. CP had a very good year two years ago. Was it just a coincidence that Moss also put up nice numbers? I think not. If Campbell proves to be a competent passer, CP puts up top 10 numbers. If not, he's still in the 12-15 range.

Is Samuels scheduled to return soon? I know he had gone down with an injury a couple weeks ago, and it didn't sound serious. Any word on his return?

I like Portis way more than most other second round backs, namely McGahee, Brown, MJD, Maroney. But that WSH offense has to open things up a bit so Portis can run. CP had a very good year two years ago. Was it just a coincidence that Moss also put up nice numbers? I think not. If Campbell proves to be a competent passer, CP puts up top 10 numbers. If not, he's still in the 12-15 range.

Samuels is reportedly progressing a lil better than originally expected and he said that he hopes to play in the last pre-season game. He should be fine and ready to go for the regular season opener.

This guy might be on to something..

I got this off another site I visit frequently..A letter from the editor on Clinton P

Do you ever feel like you’re out on an island completely by yourself regarding a certain burning issue in fantasy football? Think really hard. I’m sure you’ve felt it before. Can’t think of anything? Okay, let me give you an example then – because there’s one currently that makes my blood boil.

Why is everyone hating on Clinton Portis? Okay, never mind. I understand the “why.” There are plenty of reasons, but that doesn’t mean I have to agree with them, does it? Heck no…and quite frankly, I don’t – not one iota.

If you’re not quite sure what I’m alluding to, I’ll just come out and say it – PORTIS IS RANKED WAY TOO LOW ACROSS THE BOARD HEADING INTO THE 2007 FANTASY SEASON.

After going out and buying 20 fantasy football magazines (give or take a few) a couple weeks ago, I’m just now finishing all of them. The one thing I noticed is that Portis was ranked as low as 53rd overall in one of them. Not the 53rd RB, the 53rd player – but wouldn’t you love to see him at the beginning of round six in your 10 team draft? Come on! There’s no way he’ll last that long – so why the low ranking? I realize that’s the extreme end of the spectrum, but the highest I saw him ranked in any publication was 13th. I’d guess his average ranking was somewhere between 18 and 25. In conjunction with that, his current ADP (average draft position) according to many reliable sources is 2.8. That means that seven out of 12 owners are passing on Portis as their RB2. This is a guy that was a LEGIT RB1 – a top five OVERALL fantasy player – one year ago at this time.

I have to be honest, this makes me borderline angry.

Injuries are bad. Injuries are scary. I get it…but seriously, this guy is NOT injury-prone. He made a freaking spectacular tackle on Cincy’s Keiwan Ratliff with less than three minutes into the first preseason game of 2006 after Marc Brunell threw an interception that Ratliff returned 52 yards. Portis’ shoulder-shattering hit caused him to suffer a subluxation that made Daniel Snyder and Joe Gibbs nearly poop their pants. After resting for the remainder of the preseason, he then played in six of the team’s first seven games with his partially dislocated shoulder, prior to breaking his left hand in week 10. What people totally forget, is that considering the circumstances, he played pretty freaking well, racking up 693 total yards and seven TDs in those seven contests (really six contests, because he played only half of the week one and week 10 games).

I know what you’re thinking – two injuries in one season makes him injury-prone. But, here’s the thing – he could have easily played an entire season had Washington felt they still had a shot at making the playoffs. The team elected to focus on 2007 and getting Portis healthy for the long term. The broken hand served as an excuse for the ‘Skins to get Portis’ shoulder operated on early and get him 100% for 2007 – they virtually admitted that the following week in their weekly press conferences…and if you want to let the knee tendonitis scare you away, that’s your prerogative, but several of the world’s best athletes played through that for their entire careers – most notably Michael Jordan.

But that has been seemingly forgotten by all of the people focused on Betts’ 1,154-yard, 53-reception season. People, many a schlep of an NFL runner has gained 1,000 yards at least once in their career. That does not mean this guy can unseat one of the most talented and statistically accomplished backs of the last five NFL seasons.

I understand the theory behind the Betts factor, but I don’t agree with it – and I’m not calling him a schlep...I am, however, clearly calling him a back-up and nothing more. There’s no doubt the kid played out of his mind in 2006 after Portis’ season ended in week 10, but many prognosticators are anticipating an even 50-50 split between the two backs. That’s absolute craziness. We’re looking at Portis, who has barely entered his prime and is only 26 years old. The guy averaged 1,483 yards, 11.3 TDs and 4.9 yards per carry during his first four NFL seasons. Do you REALLY think a career back-up like Betts – who played great last season, no doubt – will take 50% of Portis’ work? If you’re answer is yes, and you’re willing to pass on Portis in the second round, may the fantasy gods help you.

If you don’t believe me, I’ll show you…because the proof is in the pudding baby. The proof is ALWAYS in the pudding. Let’s take a look at the carry numbers during the games when both backs played last season. Portis averaged 20.2 carries during those six games (including the second half of week one against Minnesota, but not including the first half of week 10 against the Eagles when he suffered his season-ending hand injury). Betts, on the other hand, averaged a measly 8.5 carries in those games. Analyzing it further – Betts only equaled Portis’ carries once, while recording two games with two or less carries. Folks, that was while Portis was admittedly only at 65% health. Come on. This year, he’ll enter the season at 100% health. I’ll ask you again – do you REALLY think Betts will cut into Portis’ work that much in 2007?

Apparently seven out of 12 of you believe that enough to pass on him not once but TWICE in your seasonal drafts.

I understand there’s a 58.3-repeating-percent chance that you’re reading this and scowling right now, but I’ll come out and say what everyone else is scared too: Portis is a legit fantasy RB1, and he’ll perform like it in 2007. If you’re smart enough to take him at the beginning of round two this season, you’ll be very happy.

Betts, on the other hand, will only be valuable in two scenarios. In deep PPR leagues, he’ll put up enough points to be worthy of a roster spot as an RB4 or RB5 – and of course, if Portis does get hurt again – and that’s a huge “if” – Betts will be as invaluable as he was last season.

Despite the presence of Betts, Portis is still the main weapon in Al Saunders’ offense, meaning he should return to 1,300 – 1,500 yard rushing status in 2007, and his nose for the goal line will get him in there at least 10 times.

Sounds like a steal to me :headbanger:

Nice rant!

But even you admit that his injuries have dropped a top five player from a year ago to a second round talent. Where is the concern that the Redskins are not very good? Where are the concerns that Campbell just might suck? What about the aging Moss, or ineffective Randel-El. Injury or no injury last year he looked soft. And now he is taking training camp off? Just seems like there are better RB's in better situations. Give me Bush, McGahee, or Jones-Drew over Portis.

Nice rant!

But even you admit that his injuries have dropped a top five player from a year ago to a second round talent. Where is the concern that the Redskins are not very good? Where are the concerns that Campbell just might suck? What about the aging Moss, or ineffective Randel-El. Injury or no injury last year he looked soft. And now he is taking training camp off? Just seems like there are better RB's in better situations. Give me Bush, McGahee, or Jones-Drew over Portis.

An aging Moss? Santana Moss is 28 not aging by any means for a WR. And your concerns about teh SKins not being very good are legitimate but as a homer Im optimistic that they will surprise some people. This was a playoff team 2 years ago.

I do have Bush rated higher but there are questions about McGahee and MJD as well. McGahee has NEVER averaged over 4.0 ypc and the Baltimore offensive line is a shell of what it once was. They have ranked near the bottom of the league and under 4 ypc for the last 2 years. And MJD is a great talent but he is on the short end of the carries in a RBBC.

Portis is fine. You folks who don't know football(only Fantasy) are blowing it out of proportion.

Betts recieved a lot of passes last year because there was a young QB in the pocket. He got the yards because nobody knew him. Where are the football people at? And as far as practice goes just ask A.I. about that.

Yep, no player has ever had his career or productivity diminished by susceptibility to injury. Not saying that's the case with Portis, but it's asinine to say the people concerned about it 'don't know football'. How much football did they know last year when he was continually ineffective?

I would like to hear you explain how Betts 'got the yards because nobody knew him'. The opposing players didn't realize he was on the field? They only attempt to tackle guys with a higher profile?

Yep, no player has ever had his career or productivity diminished by susceptibility to injury. Not saying that's the case with Portis, but it's asinine to say the people concerned about it 'don't know football'. How much football did they know last year when he was continually ineffective?

I would like to hear you explain how Betts 'got the yards because nobody knew him'. The opposing players didn't realize he was on the field? They only attempt to tackle guys with a higher profile?

susceptibility to injury? Where do you have Gore and westbrook and McNabb ranked?

This is what i mean about knowing Football.

1) it only takes 60 yards a game to get 1000.

2) defenses gameplan. CP is a one cut and gone RB. Betts plows straight ahead a gets what he can. for 8 games last year CP was the starter. Look at LT and MT in SD. do you really think MT would get those yards if LT wasn't on the team? You can't really expect MJD to get the same production this year in Jax now can you? you don't game plan for backups.

susceptibility to injury? Where do you have Gore and westbrook and McNabb ranked?

This is what i mean about knowing Football.

1) it only takes 60 yards a game to get 1000.

2) defenses gameplan. CP is a one cut and gone RB. Betts plows straight ahead a gets what he can. for 8 games last year CP was the starter. Look at LT and MT in SD. do you really think MT would get those yards if LT wasn't on the team? You can't really expect MJD to get the same production this year in Jax now can you? you don't game plan for backups.

Y'know, I've been around here a while, so I've gotten accustomed to seeing some head scratching posts. But your first one in this thread was nothing compared to this. Let's start with:

(1) No, it doesn't. Not that it was part of the discussion anyway but, no, it doesn't.

(2) Yes, defenses game plan. So, by your theory, they're unable to tackle the backup either because (1) they didn't prepare to tackle anyone wearing that jersey number OR (2) the offense is completely different for each RB. So what happened to the offenses game plan? Are they able to adjust, but not the defense? Why don't backup QB come in late in every game to tear it up? The defense hasn't game planned for them.

Portis was the starter for half the games. Betts was the starter for half the games. I understand there are lots of factors (young QB play, quality of opponent, etc), but the fact remains that Betts outperformed Portis , and by a substantial margin (72.1 ypg vs 65.4, 4.7 ypc vs 4.1). In your scenario, Betts should have only done well as a backup because they were prepared for Portis instead; by the same logic, Portis should have torn it up in the games he came in after Betts started. I'm not saying Betts is better, or at his best was more talented. Just that the facts don't lie regarding their most recent performance with the same team around them.

As for the injury question, we weren't comparing every player in the league who has been injured. Your assertion was that the only reason someone would be spooked by Portis is because they don't know football. Mine was that injuries diminish the skills of players every year, especially RB who average about 4-5 years for their career. It's the guy that doesn't give consideration to the injury question, especially when a RB is nearing 30 yrs old and has had a string of injuries, that may not know football.

But, since you brought up Gore & Westbrook, here's a tidbit: each one has played in more of his team's games the last two seasons than Clinton Portis (Gore 30, Westy 27, Portis 24).

I was all over Portis last year. I said Barring injury he could be the best RB in league. Well then he got hurt in the preseason. The only thing that scares me this year is the possibility of a RBBC. The Skins were one of the best running teams in the NFL last year. Second in the NFC. That is only because of Vick's 10 YPC in Atlanta. Is Betts better then Portis? No. Are they both legit #1 Rb's in this system? I say yes. Portis is a stud if healthy, big if I know, and Betts is a borderline RB#1. STOP READ THIS BEFORE YOU JUMP ALL OVER ME FOR THAT STATEMENT Just look at Betts' Numbers last year. Even against the an easy schedule he exelled. Also look at the few games Betts played big time in the year before and the year before that. He has had some games with over 150 yards I believe. Betts' is solid and behind a better then average O-line he will put up borderline #1 RB numbers.

So bottom line........ if you like Portis YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO DRAFT BETTS. Then just hope the RBBC doesn't kill them both.

Saunders likes them both remember that.