Sign in to follow this  
J5

Crayton-insiders give us your thoughts

I was hoping to get some info from some Cowboys fans on the Crayton/Glenn situation. It sounds to me as if Glenn will most likely be out for the year, but he hesitated to make the call last night. His career could very well be over. That being said, is Crayton riding the hype machine or is this guy capable of replicating Glenn's numbers 1000 and 7 this year. The Cowboys have alot of offensive talent but Crayton should get his opprotunties early as now teams will focus even more on Owens and Witten. Is this guy worth a roster spot over a guy like Kevin Curtis. Is Sam Hurd going to platoon? What's the word?

DallasCowboys.com posted a story last night that Glenn was out for the year, but thirty minutes later they changed it to say he'll be out "two weeks and possibly more." It doesn't look good.

Crayton isn't a big play threat, but he's got great hands. Dallas has a good offense and with the other talent around him (TO, Witten, Romo, etc.), he should put up solid numbers. Don't expect him to have a monster year, though.

If Crayton is the #2 all year, then 1000/7 is conceivable, but 700-800, 5-6 TD is more likely.

wouldn't shock me is Hurd actually started.

Crayton has been practicing with the 1st team though..

Per Micky Spags: "As far as the report yesterday that TG was out for the year, apparently there was an over-reaction to the MRI. When it was looked into further they saw it could be much shorter. This is something new. It had nothing to do with the cyst that was removed. He looked good and was cutting well on his return to practice."

Guest _my_2_cents_

CBS is reporting that Crayton is the starter.

Hurd will see time as the third receiver, so he might "start" if they open the game with a three WR set. He won't be ahead of Crayton on the depth chart though.

Crayton's not a spectacular receiver, but he's a solid, efficient one. Runs good routes, and has good hands. I think he's a pretty good WR3/4 option, especially in PPR leagues. I wasn't sure who to drop for him, but I'm a homer so I dropped Curtis for him (non money league, anyway). The fact that he was available made me think if he doesn't perform, I can always get Curtis back.

I'd be genuinely surprised if Crayton puts up less than 800 yards and 5 TDs. I think he can exceed Glenn's yards and come close to the TDs.

Will this help Witten's numbers?

I really don't see how it would. Crayton's not some rookie WR trying to step in and take over. He's been in the system for years and started games. I expect him to basically pick up Glenn's share of the receptions, so I don't see more going to Witten.

If Glenn is out for two weeks, Crayton is an adequate short-term fill-in as a WR3. Dallas plays the NYG and Miami, both of whom have above average pass defenses. But any starting WR2 on a team like Dallas (5th last year in the league in passing yards per game), in an adequate WR3.

If Glenn misses more time or the season, obviously Crayton's value goes up. I would increase that value to a very nice WR3, and adequate WR2. Last year Owens was 85/1180/13 and Glenn was 70/1047/6. Glenn benefitted by having the CB1 coverage or double coverage on Owens. Crayton would have the same benefit. He could also become a nice bye-week filler in week 7 vs. Minnesota, and week 11 vs. Washington.

Anyway, I grabbed him in one league as WR4 and will wait and see if Glenn is out for an extended time.

Dallas plays the NYG and Miami, both of whom have above average pass defenses.

If you're talking about how much teams suck against the pass, then yes, the Giants are above average.

im gonna pick him up, sit him on my bench and wait. as soon as he has a good week im gonna cast the line out and use him as trade bait.

If you're talking about how much teams suck against the pass, then yes, the Giants are above average.

Agreed.. in a big way. I'm a Giant fan and homer and esp. with Will Demps on the shelf, the GMen pass defense is pretty terrible. That's a known issue with the team. Combine that with Strahan not being in game shape and Romo should have a pretty good day throwing the ball.

If you have a poor #2/3 WR option this week, starting Crayton is not a bad idea.

If Glenn is out for two weeks, Crayton is an adequate short-term fill-in as a WR3. Dallas plays the NYG and Miami, both of whom have above average pass defenses. But any starting WR2 on a team like Dallas (5th last year in the league in passing yards per game), in an adequate WR3.

Isn't part of the reason they were a top 5 offense because they had Owen, Glenn, Crayton and Witten as well as good RBs. Wouldn't it stand to reason that Glenn being taken out of the equation hurt the overall offense?

Obviously it would be better for Crayton being a starter than a #3, but that 5th best passing yards per game you're talking about is likely to suffer, I would think. :lol:

Cookie - Let me clarify: Dallas plays the NYG and Miami, both of whom have above average pass defenses.

The NYG ranked 13th in FF points allowed for WR last year. 12 teams were higher (worse). That's probably considered "bad" by some. MIA ranked 23rd in FF points allowed for WR last year. 22 teams were higher (worse).

I know, last year was last year. I haven't been paying too much attention to the GMen's defense in the off-season...Crayton might be a decent play this week at WR2 or WR3. 5/60 maybe?

I think Crayton is the flavor-of-the-day today. Like I said, I grabbed him in one league and am stashing him on the bench to wait and see. I have better options this week at WR.

Would you drop either Bruce or Galloway for Crayton?

Would you drop either Bruce or Galloway for Crayton?

That's a good question. Yes on Bruce but Galloway I'm not to sure about that. I have Galloway and he is Garcia's #1 receiver. Even though he is 36, DB's say he hasn't lost a step and rarely drop passes. Crayton could be a sleeper but I would consider maybe dropping and extra kicker, tight end or back RB before I drop Galloway.

That's a good question. Yes on Bruce but Galloway I'm not to sure about that. I have Galloway and he is Garcia's #1 receiver. Even though he is 36, DB's say he hasn't lost a step and rarely drop passes. Crayton could be a sleeper but I would consider maybe dropping and extra kicker, tight end or back RB before I drop Galloway.

Know it's not the help board, but given the discussion I could use the input -- is bencing Housh for Crayton given matchup/minor injury totally nuts? Again, apolgies for the post, but any feedback is appreciated.

Guest cklennon

I'm thinking about benching Kevin Curtis for Crayton in one league, or Mark Clayton in a W/R in another ... am I crazy?

thanks joemax. there are no openings unfortunately, but will let you know as soon as an opportunity arises. yours truly, geuh

Cool Waliguy.. i'm not trying to smack you around.. those numbers can be deceiving and yes, the GMen losing Demps for a period of time and not having Stahan up to speed will hurt their passing defense.

With the Giants and the mediocre, slow cover guys they have.. it's all about the pass rush helping out their pass defense.

With Strahan out, Osi U. can be doubled.. they don't bring pressure unexpectedly like Johnson's D in Philly.. they just fail to get a good rush on and get picked apart. I also think some of the numbers are abberations due to games against Bledsoe (who the Giants abused) and Philly when McNabb was out. They also played Brunell/Campbell twice. Believe me, they're pass D is below average and their corners haven't been good since early on in the Fassel regime.

i'd kept bruce over crayton.

like others have said jason witten and TO will be the primary beneficiary

and bump down mb3 and romo because there will be less scoring.

don't really see crayton matching glenn's numbers. maybe 800-900 yds and 4-6 tds

1. crayton is an extremely good possession receiver.

2. last year against Arizona, TGlenn was out, and Hurd started. Seemed the coaching staff likes Crayton as slot receiver. That was

3. Crayton is an okay receiver, and I'd sign him. You're not expecting Isaac Bruce to do much more than he has in the past few years. Crayton has nothing but upside.

I'm trying to decide whether to drop Greg Jennings to pick up Crayton. Jennings has a hammy injury, and those things tend to linger over the course of the season. What do you think?

I'm trying to decide whether to drop Greg Jennings to pick up Crayton. Jennings has a hammy injury, and those things tend to linger over the course of the season. What do you think?

Contemplating the exact same thing myself! Those hammy injuries can linger and Jennings was pretty banged up last season too.

I'm leaning towards making the move but I'm still iffy.

FOCK NO YOU DON'T DROP BRUCE FOR CRAYTON!!!!

Holt is 70% and Bennet is ailing.

I was under the impression Holt was NOT on this week's injury report. On Crayton, he is thought VERY highly of in Dallas and getting a lot of play in keeper leagues even before Glenn's inury due to the age of the Dallas WR's. He's got excellent hands, adequate speed, and goes over the middle. And he won't be playing the nickel and dime game that Garcia/Galloway will be saddled with. Dallas actually HAS a running game, and Romo uses the play-action effectively to get the ball DOWN the field.

He'll try, but Owens can't get everything. Patrick Crayton is going to have a fine season regardless, but the sky's the limit if Glenn is done. :wacko:

I was under the impression Holt was NOT on this week's injury report. On Crayton, he is thought VERY highly of in Dallas and getting a lot of play in keeper leagues even before Glenn's inury due to the age of the Dallas WR's. He's got excellent hands, adequate speed, and goes over the middle. And he won't be playing the nickel and dime game that Garcia/Galloway will be saddled with. Dallas actually HAS a running game, and Romo uses the play-action effectively to get the ball DOWN the field.

He'll try, but Owens can't get everything. Patrick Crayton is going to have a fine season regardless, but the sky's the limit if Glenn is done. ;)

I wouldn't drop Bruce .... but Jennings is looking like the man to drop for him ... i'm fricken torn. I'm Jennings owner AND Romo owner. Not sure if i want "all my eggs in one basket" situation.

We have to start 3 WRs: DBranch, SHolmes, KCurtis, BBerrian, GJennings.

There is JJervicious and MJenkins also on our waiver wire and that's about it .. we carry 18 players so every position is thin on the ww. I'm tempted to drop Jennings now. FOCK I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!

I will state it simply... Crayton had 500 yards and 4 TD's last year and has improved his numbers every year he has played. If he is the #2 WR all year then you could have a high end figure of 1000 yards and 8 TD's. I don't see how this guy doesn't get at least 700- 800 and 5- 6 TD's as a low end estimate. Assuming 700 yards and 5 TDs as a low figure, that is productive enough to make it into a starting lineup of three WRs in a 12 team league. He is on a team that ranked 4th in offense last year and one that has a very solid rushing attack. as well as a gunslinger QB who can throw the ball around. He will also be playing opposite T.O. who will draw double teams and allow Crayton to get open. The guy has nothing but upside and you really have nothing to lose. Of course this is all assuming Glenn is finished for the year. They have not said it as a fact, but I live in the Dallas area and can read between the lines. The sports radio shows and the local papers are leaning towards Glenn being hurt pretty bad. We shall see, but in the meantime pick up Crayton and reap the rewards Sunday night. ;)

I will state it simply... Crayton had 500 yards and 4 TD's last year and has improved his numbers every year he has played. If he is the #2 WR all year then you could have a high end figure of 1000 yards and 8 TD's. I don't see how this guy doesn't get at least 700- 800 and 5- 6 TD's as a low end estimate. Assuming 700 yards and 5 TDs as a low figure, that is productive enough to make it into a starting lineup of three WRs in a 12 team league. He is on a team that ranked 4th in offense last year and one that has a very solid rushing attack. as well as a gunslinger QB who can throw the ball around. He will also be playing opposite T.O. who will draw double teams and allow Crayton to get open. The guy has nothing but upside and you really have nothing to lose. Of course this is all assuming Glenn is finished for the year. They have not said it as a fact, but I live in the Dallas area and can read between the lines. The sports radio shows and the local papers are leaning towards Glenn being hurt pretty bad. We shall see, but in the meantime pick up Crayton and reap the rewards Sunday night. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I just looked at his numbers last year and not bad for a WR3 for 4 TDs and some yards.

And the one game he started when Glenn was out he caught 5 for 105 and a score ... yeah, I'm drinking some more KOOLAID (I could possibly start, SHolmes, KCurtis and PCrayton .... really waiting for the big fat red dude to come crashing through my wall). ;)

I've got Holt, Stallworth, Galloway and Drew Bennet at WR in which we start 2. Is Crayton worth picking up over Stallworth, Galloway, or Bennett? Galloway has been discussed already but what about Stallworth? NE seems to spread the ball around a lot and you never know who is going to have the big week. I also like Bennett as insurance for Holt.

I too have Jennings and am considering dropping him for Crayton. Have him on both teams, although one of those teams I also have Romo, T.O. AND Witten. I don't think there's any way I'll add Crayton to the mix on that team, but on my other team, with no other Dallas players, I'm not sure.