Sign in to follow this  
Killfish

Steve Smith

I've seen the other topics posted asking about his situation, but for the most part, I have not seen owners stating they are planning on benching him. I just don't see how he can be a must start with his current qb situation. I am contemplating benching him this week for Bobby Engram. Anybody else? Is this too much of a panic move on my part?

Tough to bench him. I'd line him up at running back if I had to to get the ball in his hands.

I won't bench Smith period! Any QB has to look Smith's way. The team will have quick outs and possibly end around hand offs if necessary to get Smith involved. I expect he'll do better than he has the last few weeks. I could be wrong but I'm not taking him out or selling low either.

I just offered him for Wayne (bye this week).

Let us know the outcome. I own Wayne and happen to be playing the S. Smith owner this week. :dunno:

Yeah, Smith will still put up numbers, if for no other reason than the number of targets he's going to get. Benching him doesn't make a lot of sense unless you happen to have two other #1 type WRs. Benching him for Engram is crazy.

im going to say... maybe...

people keep saying he is going to put up numbers... I dont necessarily believe that... I think he and Delhomme are codependent on one another...

Delhomme cant do anything without Smith and vice-versa...

Yeah, Smith will still put up numbers, if for no other reason than the number of targets he's going to get. Benching him doesn't make a lot of sense unless you happen to have two other #1 type WRs. Benching him for Engram is crazy.

This is all I hear "Smith will do this and that". Lowly Engram has outscored Smith since Delhomme has been out (Last three weeks). This trend will stop with now the 3rd string/Vinny in there at QB?

Sorry, but I don't follow that logic.

u guys do realize we r talknig about steve smith, maybe the most dynamic player in football. I do have him on my squad,and may be a little biased towards him, but besides moss, i think hes the best receiver in football. U do realize this man is 5'9, has constant double coverage, has an average qb throwing him the ball, and he still racks up catches, yards and tds. Not only does he catch but he can do end arounds better than any1 in football. Wr screens to him have been known to go for long yardage because hes simply untouchable 1 on 1.

So i say friends, DO NOT GIVE UP ON HIM. Whoever throws will get him the ball, and the coaches know that if they want to win and be competitive steve smith must get the ball.

Thanks for the time

can take it to the house on any play....i aint benchin him if leaf is his qb?????

morons..... :unsure:

I figure they'll throw plenty of wr screens and let SS turn and burn for 50 or more yards and plenty of tds. Yes, I am being hopeful.

I like the fact that Smitty was more pissed than I was when he got 1 point.

I'd bench Stephen Davis before I'd bench Smitty.

The one thing that a lot of people seem to forget about SS is that he has always been streaky. Even when he had his all-world year in 05, he still had games where he stunk it up from an FF perspective. The problem with benching SS is that you never know when the streak is going to go the other way. Many people think he's going to struggle because of his QB issues, but he's also just as likely to go for another 150 yds and 2 tds. And I disagree with KC, SS can take it to the house on any given play. Being a Tampa homer, I've had to watch him twice a year for several years, and the dude is an absolute beast as a WR. IMO, he is the best WR in football today, period. And I know a bunch of Moss fans are going to blow a gasket on that one, but I truly believe that. Moss is putting up much better FF numbers this year, but that has a lot to do with his surrounding cast adding to his high level of talent and abilities. Moss is a phenomenal WR, but SS has done what he's done with very, very little talent around him. He has consistently been the only weapon that Carolina has had, and he still has been able to make defenses look absolutely stupid. Again, I'm not saying that SS is a better fantasy WR than Moss, but I believe he is the best there is right now in the real game.

That being said, you can't put him on your bench. You can live with someone you drafted as a WR3 or 4 going off like K. Curtis did a couple of weeks ago because that happens sometimes in FF. But, it'll kill your team to draft someone as a stud at ANY position, bench them cuz you don't like how they're playing or their matchup, and then have them go apeshyt. It's just inexcusable in my opinion to leave points like that on your bench. Many may disagree, but I won't be putting SS on the :pointstosky: unless he's hurt and not playing, or on a bye.

:cheers:

Let us know the outcome. I own Wayne and happen to be playing the S. Smith owner this week. :pointstosky:

He declined.

At least you guys don't overreact... :shocking:

The bottom line is that the Carolina gameplan each and every week is to get the ball into SS's hands. Make no mistake, its not one of the things they try to do each week, it is the #1 priority. He is the gameplan. So who are you going to start in front of him that you can say the same thing about?

I won't put him on my bench. I was thinking about Smith and what do you think he would be doing this year if he had gone to the Pats instead of Moss. Smith would have 10 TD's by now. That would of been really fun to watch!

This got buried on one of those other 'Steve Smith' threads, so posting here and seeing if any counters to my arguements. Please Chime In.

Some good pts brought up in this thread but:

Yes, for next few games Smith value takes a hit with looking like Testaverde for next game, then a bye week, then Carr back (yes, if out longer a concern, but assuming Carr back after bye).

Still will have some time to get some timing with Smith, but even say by weeks 11+...just in time for ff playoffs...I could see the timing getting into synch:

-Smith is there best offense weapon, period. Got to believe Carolina will try to get ball in his hands

-On another thread it was mentioned that play calling changed...Carolina got away from the quick slants that Smith routinely turned into big gains/plays...again would imagine those would return especially since it's a relatively simple route that Carr could make (also been mentioned that Carr, b/c of time with Texans, has some happy feet back there, well what better than a 3 step drop quick slant)

-Again, previously mentioned how Carr was with AJ...why is that a bad thing (if homers have an answer, seriously asking)? He used to key on AJ b/c he was Texans best recieving option...once they get in synch again, would see him doing same with Smith.

Admittedly alot of speculation on my part, but curious to hear counters to arguements above.

Everyone talks about Smith being the guy who needs to have the ball for the Panthers to have a chance to win. I agree. However, the troubling thing is when you look at how many attempts were made to get him the ball:

---------------Targets-----------Rushes

Week 1 ............13.....................1

Week 2 ............10.....................0

Week 3 .............5......................1

Week 4 .............9......................0

Week 5 .............6......................0

If he is so vital to the Panthers success, then why aren't they getting him the ball more often? I would think at a minimum they would want to get it in Smith's hands no fewer than 12-15 times a game. The last 3 weeks the attempts to get the ball to Smith averages less than 7 a game.

Any homers have an idea why the drop in the numbers the past few weeks? If you follow the logic that Smith needs the ball for Panthers to win (which I agree with) then why aren't they doing so?

im going to say... maybe...

people keep saying he is going to put up numbers... I dont necessarily believe that... I think he and Delhomme are codependent on one another...

Delhomme cant do anything without Smith and vice-versa...

Aren't you the same guy that traded Owens for Colston straight up? :shocking: ?

Aren't you the same guy that traded Owens for Colston straight up? :pointstosky: ?

Yes, i am... but this is a different subject... how many times can we sit back and believe that someone is going to perform based on their names...

Smith has been a great receiver for years, but this year his offense is complete disarray... Im not saying he will suck, but if Vinny will be at QB, i might play matchups instead of automatically plugging him into a lineup...

how many times can we sit back and believe that someone is going to perform based on their names...

Solid pt...some players though we can expect to perform based on their skill. Yes he's been quiet last few games but credit that to (1)lack of opportunities at this pt.

Smith has been a great receiver for years, but this year his offense is complete disarray...

:nono: Panthers are 14th in scoring, 4th in pass tds...yes they rank in early 20's in overall/pass offense but even that I wouldn't call 'complete dissaray'. That's more a comment for Niners or Saints, which brings up another pt...

Yes, i am...

So you traded a top15 WR on an explosive offense (#2) for a non-starting FF peforming WR who has done well only his rookie year on an inept offense, but you're concerned about Smith's future peformance? :thumbsup: :wacko:

yes they rank in early 20's in overall/pass offense but even that I wouldn't call 'complete dissaray'.

I would call that disarray for a team that lives on the pass... Fox may like the run but the team lived on the Delhomme/Smith chemistry...

I did not say bench him, but if their are other options, I may be inclined to go with an alternative, on a weekly basis...

I would not trade Smith like I did TO because I think Smith will still come around, but I have my doubts about TO... I believe that Crayton is the future face of Dallas WR and TO, not intentionally, will be slowing pushed down to a 2nd option, especially in the RZ, for Romo... nothing to prove that, just a gut feeling...

I would not trade Smith like I did TO because I think Smith will still come around, but I have my doubts about TO... I believe that Crayton is the future face of Dallas WR and TO, not intentionally, will be slowing pushed down to a 2nd option, especially in the RZ, for Romo... nothing to prove that, just a gut feeling...

Holy Crap !

I have to reply....you my friend are clueless in the game. :music_guitarred: :thumbsup:

I wish I had guys in my league that thought like this, you don't push a beast like TO down to #2, he's your prime WR, physical to win positional battles, big and tall for the RedZone TDs, and fast.

Have you ever seen TO play football ?

I would call that disarray for a team that lives on the pass... Fox may like the run but the team lived on the Delhomme/Smith chemistry...

I did not say bench him, but if their are other options, I may be inclined to go with an alternative, on a weekly basis...

Um...so you are saying that in you're opinion that both Colston and Crayton are better options than TO?

I'm not a big fan of TO, but did it ever occur to you that Crayton gets the looks he does because of who is running double teamed on the other side of the field? TO makes a Crayton a better reciever--but to say Crayton will be slowing pushing TO down to a 2nd option is actually quite humorous. Do you really think that?

So lets see:

Colston>TO

Crayton (soon to be)> TO

Engram>Steve Smith.....

according to what you have stated in this post. Please don't take it personally---I'm just trying to understand the logic here.

Am I alone in thinking that Vinny may actually be a bonus for SS??? I realize the guy has to check out of the nursing home to go to practice and games, but he's still be big, strong QB with a reasonably strong arm. And, he's been in the NFL for eons, so he's intelligent and capable enough to know exactly who he has to get the rock to so that the offense can be efficient, particularly while he's learning the ins-and-outs of the offense. I can see Vinny looking for SS on every single drop-back, and he also has enough arm left to throw downfield on occassion.

I may be way off base, here, but I'm not sure that Vinny isn't a better choice than Carr anyway you slice it.... :pointstosky:

Thoughts, ideas, disagreements.....

This is all I hear "Smith will do this and that". Lowly Engram has outscored Smith since Delhomme has been out (Last three weeks). This trend will stop with now the 3rd string/Vinny in there at QB?

Sorry, but I don't follow that logic.

So you think Engram will have better numbers the rest of the way? I know that if someone wanted to trade me Smith for Engram, I'd be all over that. You rather get Engram?

So you think Engram will have better numbers the rest of the way? I know that if someone wanted to trade me Smith for Engram, I'd be all over that. You rather get Engram?

Not the rest of the way, I stated this week.

I think too many SS owners actually get offended at the notion of benching him. Look, if there is no other option for you, then this is not meant for you; FF is not only about a player's ability. FF success is mostly about a player's situation. All these posts keep telling how great SS is, nobody is arguing that point. To keep this simple, his situation has changed to the point where you might consider better situations. Engram will, for a few weeks anyway, possibly be #1 while Branch is out. This equals a good....yep, you guessed it...... SITUATION.

I drafted SS high just like everyone else, and am pissed, just like everybody else, but to sit here for weeks hoping he'll put up WR 3 numbers is not smart. Until I see some production, I will play the matchup game. The season is too short to wait for improvement. I understand I am in the minority here, and for all SS owners out there, I hope I am wrong about this.

I think too many SS owners actually get offended at the notion of benching him. Look, if there is no other option for you, then this is not meant for you; FF is not only about a player's ability. FF success is mostly about a player's situation. All these posts keep telling how great SS is, nobody is arguing that point. To keep this simple, his situation has changed to the point where you might consider better situations. Engram will, for a few weeks anyway, possibly be #1 while Branch is out. This equals a good....yep, you guessed it...... SITUATION.

I drafted SS high just like everyone else, and am pissed, just like everybody else, but to sit here for weeks hoping he'll put up WR 3 numbers is not smart. Until I see some production, I will play the matchup game. The season is too short to wait for improvement. I understand I am in the minority here, and for all SS owners out there, I hope I am wrong about this.

I respect your opinion and understand what you are trying to accomplish; however, there's a huge problem with it. On any given week if you looked hard enough you could probably find a match-up or a "situation" that favors another player over one of your normal starters. The problem occurs when you try to predict consistently which week this "situation" will actually yield more fantasy points. Engram may not be a bad choice for many teams this week, but sitting S. Smith for him just doesn't make sense. S. Smith has blow up games that drastically increase his average per week fantasy output, and you don't want to miss one of them. Missing only a couple games of him going off for 150 yards and 2 tds brings him back down to good instead of great receiver. If your philosophy is to spot start match ups over your top receiver then perhaps you'd be better off trading him for someone more consistent.

I respect your opinion and understand what you are trying to accomplish; however, there's a huge problem with it. On any given week if you looked hard enough you could probably find a match-up or a "situation" that favors another player over one of your normal starters. The problem occurs when you try to predict consistently which week this "situation" will actually yield more fantasy points. Engram may not be a bad choice for many teams this week, but sitting S. Smith for him just doesn't make sense. S. Smith has blow up games that drastically increase his average per week fantasy output, and you don't want to miss one of them. Missing only a couple games of him going off for 150 yards and 2 tds brings him back down to good instead of great receiver. If your philosophy is to spot start match ups over your top receiver then perhaps you'd be better off trading him for someone more consistent.

Well put. I think my fundamental difference with your response is the part about missing a few of the times SS goes off for 150 and 2 TDs. From what I have seen the past three weeks, these numbers just are not possible. I think his potential "blow up games" are now something like 100 and a TD. That ceiling is just not that much of a reward for the risk of a potential 3 point outing. As for trading him, I do feel his numbers will get a little better as the qb situation settles a bit, so I would rather wait it out. Once again, as a SS owner, I hope I am wrong, and you are all piling on me after Sunday for being a tard.

I'm not offended by any means...but my MO, when the majority of board is saying 'this guy is great or this guy sucks' is to play devil's advocate. Anyone who's spent any time on this board can tell you that some of this thinking becomes contagious...just takes 3-5 of these threads and a few dozen vocal posters and it becomes almost 'self fullfilling' that enough people are saying 'this guy sucks', so he must suck right?

I understand about situation, but there's another way to look at Engram's SITUATION or Smith's for that matter.

SMITH

Looks to have b/up caliber QBs throwing to him for duration of season, but one of those QBs who's a veteran and so may have insight to try to get ball in hands of playmaker in Smith. Carr, the other QB, has not met expectations in his career but has history of keying on his best recieving threat. Once gets timing down could see Carr doing same with Smith.

ENGRAM

Guy was a low end #1 WR NINE seasons AGO, best season 88/940/4. Since then has made a career as a #2 or #3 WR (and has missed significant time due to injuries. So now that Hawks offense has lost it's #1 WR who has netted the most recs in Branch and that Engram now will face the opposing team's #1 CB v the #2 or #3 CB he's used to being covered by and no threat of Branch on other side is going to be a better situation for Engram to do well?

So I agree that situation is a factor...just not agreeing on your assessment on the situation of the players in question.

Colston>TO

Crayton (soon to be)> TO

Engram>Steve Smith.....

First, I never said Colston was a better receiver... TO has been great during his tenure, but age and the Man Love Romo has for Witten is taking its toll on TOs numbers... at least in my PPR league...

Second, Crayton is not a bettter receiver, he appears to be getting almost as many looks as Owens but is in single coverage... Romo will key in on this and ignore TO more, especially with TOs drops...

Third, never said Engram was better than Smith, but, with Branch out and the QB situation in Carolina all screwed up, perhaps for the time being Engram may, and I mean may be a better play.... this one is a toss-up...

Peace

As some other posters have basically said, I just don't want to miss a big game from Smith because I've benched him. If Engram is going to be such a good play this week, I could easily sit my second WR. But for almost everybody who owns him, Smith is their best WR. I can always play matchups with the WR2 slot. But even with a crap QB, Smith will get a lot of targets and you just never know when he's going to convert those chances into catches and TDs.