Sign in to follow this  
Brad GLuckman

Packers being investigated by NFL

Highlights of the article...

The Green Bay Packers acknowledged Monday that the National Football League is investigating whether their players broke league rules by paying teammates for certain in-game goals.

The league prohibits players and teams "from offering or accepting bonuses to a player for his or his team's performance against a particular team, a particular opposing player or players, or a particular group of an opposing team."

ESPN reported Sunday that Packers defensive backs offered $500 to each of the team's defensive linemen if they held Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson to fewer n 100 yards in their Nov. 11 matchup.

The Packers' defensive linemen were also reportedly offered another $500 if they held the Carolina Panthers to fewer than 60 yards rushing. The Panthers finished with 131 yards in the Packers' 31-17 victory.

General manager Ted Thompson later said the team was cooperating with the inquiry and thought the players might not have known about the rule.

"We, certainly in management, knew of the prohibition on something like that," Thompson said. "We're not convinced the players knew about it and that would be a communication snafu and that would be my responsibility."

You have to notice how TT takes responsibility and says it was his fault for not communicating the rule to his players. Not just saying something like he "misinterpreted the rule"... :dunno:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but as a Packers fan I love the fact this defense cares so much about winning, that they pony up their own money.

Click me to read the article

You have to notice how TT takes responsibility and says it was his fault for not communicating the rule to his players. Not just saying something like he "misinterpreted the rule"... :dunno:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but as a Packers fan I love the fact this defense cares so much about winning, that they pony up their own money.

Click me to read the article

This shouldn't be an issue at all - what about all the gifts lineman get from QB's? Next thing you know. the league will investigate slaps on a$s

You have to notice how TT takes responsibility and says it was his fault for not communicating the rule to his players. Not just saying something like he "misinterpreted the rule"... :music_guitarred:

I agree, saying that he "misinterpreted the rule" would be bad. However, he would he been on valid ground had he said that he had his own interpretation of that rule. That would have meant that he would have understood the rule and made perfectly valid suppositions based on that rule. :lol:

Anyway, I don't see this as any big deal. Offering $500 for a tackle or crap like that is nothing to these guys. It's not like other teams aren't doing stuff like this. I say simple whack Green Bays first round draft pick for violating the rule and fine the team and coach $500,000. That's no big deal.

500 Bones?! are you serious? This is not a big deal.

They get fined $17,000 for not being on time to their room throughout the season and many players are constantly late.

I wonder if they also use real money when they play hold'em on the team plane?

I, for one, am outraged..

:o

What a stupid fokin rule.

This shouldn't be an issue at all - what about all the gifts lineman get from QB's? Next thing you know. the league will investigate slaps on a$s

I was gonna say the same thing. I heard ESPN talking about this Sunday and I kind of thought the tight-axxes at NFL would have something to say. But, it's basically bullchit. Oh, I can't give $500 cash, but I can give a $5,000 all-expense paid trip to Hawaii for all my linemen and their families if I make the Pro-Bowl? A $5,000 Rolex? The worst part is, the NFL will prolly now start coming down on that stuff too.

This is a horechit rule. Some rules make sense, some are just 'rules for the sake of rules' and this one makes no sense. This isn't cash from an alumnus to a college kid. Especially with the HUGE dispartity in incomes between say, O-linemen and QB's/RB's, this stuff should be encouraged, not discouraged.

Maximum :banana:

Guest _my_2_cents_
$500 to these guys is like 5 cents to most of us.

fixed.

Fortunately, I don't see the Packers throwing 4th down/4th quarter touchdowns up 50-10 or Vrabeling/Wilforking QBs knees with 10 seconds left in a blowout game to make up for this infraction....

:doh:

Fortunately, I don't see the Packers throwing 4th down/4th quarter touchdowns up 50-10 or Vrabeling/Wilforking QBs knees with 10 seconds left in a blowout game to make up for this infraction....

:doh:

When were they up 50-10? They got conservative against Carolina on Sunday and almost let them back in the game.

When were they up 50-10? They got conservative against Carolina on Sunday and almost let them back in the game.

That's the comeback I would have came back with....

Well-played :lol:

ETA: It actually would have been: "There's no worries about that because the Packers have never been up 50-10 in a game" and/or "Favre sucks/takes vicodin" :doh:

Funny how LJ and AD both had their injuries inflicted on them by the Pack...go figure.

I smell a rat somewhere...a dirty rat.

Funny how LJ and AD both had their injuries inflicted on them by the Pack...go figure.

The injuries were inflicted by a LB and CB not a lineman. CB injures AD so he can pay linemen $500 each, go figure and do some homework before you post.

id like to know what ESPN rat came into the locker room and dished out this story as if it was something hot... :doublethumbsup:

if it was that ###### rachel nichols...fock her..ill give her a pass as long as she does a report outside of lambeau when its 15 so i can see those headlights... :music_guitarred: i dont listen to her talking anyway....

and thats not a bounty...i wonder why the media was calling it that?...

or as emmitt smith would call it....a bowmmy... :overhead:

The problem is that you cannot focus on a particular game or player. If you do it at the end of the season (Marino and Isotoners) for performance across the season, then it is fine. That is not what the GB players did. They gave money for stopping ADP and then payments were related to the Carolina game.

That is not allowed in the rules. You can disagree with the rule, but it is the rule. Personally, I can't see the big deal in videotaping a defensive coach vs. taking notes, but it is the rule and people were punished for that one.

seriously, show me a football fan, that doesn't wear cheese on their heads, who doesn't know favre is on the juice, and i'll show them a straight jacket.

Guest _my_2_cents_

Yeah...wish they played the Pats this year. Wonder how much the bounty would be on Brady? :thumbsdown:

I think they should investigate Baseball for all thier insentives......every time a guy hits a home run, a lucky winner or a charity gets money....or in the play-off taco bell gave everyone free tacos for the the first guy to steal a base. this is motivating the players and is cheating

Yeah...wish they played the Pats this year. Wonder how much the bounty would be on Brady? :doublethumbsup:

The Patriot defense would retire Favre! The old man couldn't take the punishment they would inflict.

really? where do you usually take the ladies?

He probably takes them to the air pump :doublethumbsup:

Nah, he's Old School. Considers manual inflation foreplay.

Sorry, I didn't know I was playing with all you high rollers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me change that to $500 to them is like .50 to me.

Almost.

But that game was not even as close as that score.

The Panthers had the one long drive...that they ran when everyone expected pass...but it killed them...it took 7:41 off the clock.

They get another late TD...but thats it.

Conservative? Or just running down the clock and preparing for a short turn around to play again Thursday?

seriously, show me a football fan, that doesn't wear cheese on their heads, who doesn't know favre is on the juice, and i'll show them a straight jacket.

You might need alot of straight jackets.

:rolleyes:

The Patriot defense would retire Favre! The old man couldn't take the punishment they would inflict.

Do you think this Pat D is better than the Baltimore D in their prime?

Care to look back to what Favre did to them.

Methinks you are talking this much trash because the old man and the Pack have you worried in your cowboys underoos.

You might need alot of straight jackets.

:rolleyes:

well, with the types of people i'd have to be fitting out, they would probably prefer i just get one great big one and cram them all in there together

Ridiculous. The NFL should be endorsing this kind of thing, not outlawing it...as long as the incentives are for legal game stuff and not something along the lines of a bounty for taking a guy out of a game, of course.

Much adieu about nothing.

Much goodbye about nothing?

I believe the word you're looking for is "ado".

well, with the types of people i'd have to be fitting out, they would probably prefer i just get one great big one and cram them all in there together

Nah...with the amount of people who would call you a moron for suggesting something so ridiculously stupid.

What do you expect from the franchise that produced the biggest cheapshot in history (Martin on McMahon).

What do you expect from the franchise that produced the biggest cheapshot in history (Martin on McMahon).

[Delusional Patriot fan] That hit was legitimate... Football is a man's sport... don't be such a poosay... momentum of his body carried him into the quarterback...You're just jealous....he was clipped and accidently fell into the qb....football is played for 60 minutes....[/Delusional Patriot fan]

Way to go back 20-plus years :doublethumbsup:

Well played! :lol:

Yeah...cause everyone is the same from that team. B)

Oh...and the hit on Peterson was clean...and even connecting it with this bounty is ridiculous (as has been pointed out) since it was a DB and LB that hit him and not a lineman.