Sign in to follow this  
akaoni

Favorite Movie Soliloquies

From Harvey:

Elwood P. Dowd: Harvey and I sit in the bars... have a drink or two... play the juke box. And soon the faces of all the other people they turn toward mine and they smile. And they're saying, "We don't know your name, mister, but you're a very nice fella." Harvey and I warm ourselves in all these golden moments. We've entered as strangers - soon we have friends. And they come over... and they sit with us... and they drink with us... and they talk to us. They tell about the big terrible things they've done and the big wonderful things they'll do. Their hopes, and their regrets, and their loves, and their hates. All very large, because nobody ever brings anything small into a bar. And then I introduce them to Harvey... and he's bigger and grander than anything they offer me. And when they leave, they leave impressed. The same people seldom come back; but that's envy, my dear. There's a little bit of envy in the best of us.

:unsure:

Way out west there was this fella I wanna tell ya about. Goes by the name of Jeff Lebowski. At least that was the handle his loving parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. See, this Lebowski, he called himself "The Dude". Now, "Dude" - there's a name no man would self-apply where I come from. But then there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense. And a lot about where he lived, likewise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place so darned interestin'. See, they call Los Angeles the "City Of Angels"; but I didn't find it to be that, exactly. But I'll allow it as there are some nice folks there. 'Course I ain't never been to London, and I ain't never seen France. And I ain't never seen no queen in her damned undies, so the feller says. But I'll tell you what - after seeing Los Angeles, and this here story I'm about to unfold, well, I guess I seen somethin' every bit as stupefyin' as you'd seen in any of them other places. And in English, too. So I can die with a smile on my face, without feelin' like the good Lord gypped me. Now this here story I'm about to unfold took place in the early '90s - just about the time of our conflict with Sad'm and the I-raqis. I only mention it because sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? Sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here - the Dude from Los Angeles. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude. The Dude, from Los Angeles. And even if he's a lazy man - and the Dude was most certainly that. Quite possibly the laziest in all of Los Angeles County, which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide. Sometimes there's a man, sometimes, there's a man. Well, I lost my train of thought here. But... aw, hell. I've done introduced it enough

Congratulations. You are the first person to use the word sololoquie on the geek bored. :dunno:

I don't have the text, but my favorite is Sgt. Pinback in the movie Dark Star. He is recording his inner feelings into the ships psyco-analist computer. It shows his step-by step mental breakdown and I think it is hilarious.

Col. Jessep: Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Congratulations. You are the first person to use the word sololoquie on the geek bored. :dunno:

Actually, he is the first person to use the word "Soliloquie".

You are the first to use the word "sololoquie"

:banana:

:dunno:

Hey Sux, let me know if I should point out to you that it is "soliloquy." I don't want to come off as a spelling snob. TIA

:dunno:

I stand corrected.

:code:thanksa$$hole:code:

Hey Sux, let me know if I should point out to you that it is "soliloquy." I don't want to come off as a spelling snob. TIA

That isn't the point, asshat.

The point is that BiSexualBear incorrectly gave a person credit for first using sololoquie.

You are now the first to use soliloquy. Happy?

I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.

What I really want to do with my life - what I want to do for a living - is I want to be with your daughter. I'm good at it.

How do you write women so well?

I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability.

I know you geeks will come up with plenty of Tombstone, Clint Eastwood, etc.

So I though I'd throw a few faggotty ones out there that I liked.

That isn't the point, asshat.

The point is that BiSexualBear incorrectly gave a person credit for first using sololoquie.

You are now the first to use soliloquy. Happy?

Indubitably. :rolleyes:

So did I spell it correctly or not? :rolleyes:

So did I spell it correctly or not? :headbanger:

According to Jerrysperm, no, but we all knew what you were talking about..obviously :rolleyes:

So did I spell it correctly or not? :headbanger:

You misspelled "frineds." Duh. :rolleyes:

Great thread...and I wish to congratulate all of you on some excellent ones mentioned, specifically Cusack in Say Anything. However, below, in my opinion is the single greatest one in film history....

Quint: Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte... just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, Chief? You tell by looking from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know, was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin', so we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know, it was kinda like old squares in the battle like you see in the calendar named "The Battle of Waterloo" and the idea was: shark comes to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand. I know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday morning, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boatswain's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up, down in the water just like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon, the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us. He swung in low and he saw us... he was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper. Anyway, he saw us and he come in low and three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and starts to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened... waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water; 316 men come out and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb

I love the "you dumb focking ######" speech by Pacino to Spacey in Glengary Glen Ross

I love the "you dumb focking ######" speech by Pacino to Spacey in Glengary Glen Ross

That's crassic; posting the werds doesn't do it justice. I also like this, with some lead-in for context:

Williamson: [handing Roma lead cards] I'm giving you three leads...

Ricky Roma: Three? No, I count two.

Williamson: There's three leads there.

Ricky Roma: "Patel"? ###### you. ###### Shiva handed this guy a million dollars, told him "Sign the deal!" he wouldn't sign. And the god Vishnu too, into the bargain. ###### you, John! You know your business, I know mine. Your business is being an ######. I find out whose ###### cousin you are, I'm going to go to him and figure out a way to have your ass - ###### you!

[throws the cards at Williamson]

Ricky Roma: I'm waiting for the new leads.

Great thread...and I wish to congratulate all of you on some excellent ones mentioned, specifically Cusack in Say Anything. However, below, in my opinion is the single greatest one in film history....

Quint: Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte... just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, Chief? You tell by looking from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know, was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin', so we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know, it was kinda like old squares in the battle like you see in the calendar named "The Battle of Waterloo" and the idea was: shark comes to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand. I know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday morning, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boatswain's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up, down in the water just like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon, the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us. He swung in low and he saw us... he was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper. Anyway, he saw us and he come in low and three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and starts to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened... waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water; 316 men come out and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb

Winner :overhead:

Thread ovah.

Matt Damon's long speech about why not to work for the NSA in Good Will Hunting

:overhead:

One of the best movies evah, however it takes

Second place to the Jaws Sooliilliqquuiiee (did I spell that correctly JK?)

:overhead:

One of the best movies evah, however it takes

Second place to the Jaws Sooliilliqquuiiee (did I spell that correctly JK?)

Yess. :shocking:

I'm a schoolteacher. I teach English composition... in this little town called Adley, Pennsylvania. The last eleven years, I've been at Thomas Alva Edison High School. I was a coach of the baseball team in the springtime. Back home, I tell people what I do for a living and they think well, now that figures. But over here, it's a big, a big mystery. So, I guess I've changed some. Sometimes I wonder if I've changed so much my wife is even going to recognize me, whenever it is that I get back to her. And how I'll ever be able to tell her about days like today. Ah, Ryan. I don't know anything about Ryan. I don't care. The man means nothing to me. It's just a name. But if... You know if going to Rumelle and finding him so that he can go home. If that earns me the right to get back to my wife, then that's my mission.

Shawshank. :summed up: I find that I can barely hold a thought in my head.... I hope.... :summedup: At the end when he's on the bus riding to see his friend, Andy.

R U Shoore? :shocking:

Look Sux... if you call out somebody for a spelling error (like you did initially), and in doing so you make a spelling error, you get shiot. Rules of the bored. Kinda like the sharks. Suck it up, have another Koors, and move on. :overhead:

Here it is: "I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope. "

All the animals come out at night - whores, skunk pussies, buggers, queens, fairies, dopers, junkies, sick, venal. Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets. I go all over. I take people to the Bronx, Brooklyn, I take 'em to Harlem. I don't care. Don't make no difference to me. It does to some. Some won't even take spooks. Don't make no difference to me.

Kurtz: I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror. Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies. I remember when I was with Special Forces. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate the children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for Polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God... the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we. Because they could stand that these were not monsters. These were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment. Because it's judgment that defeats us.

There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it I have now surpassed. My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone, in fact I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape, but even after admitting this there is no catharsis, my punishment continues to elude me and I gain no deeper knowledge of myself; no new knowledge can be extracted from my telling. This confession has meant nothing.

obviously jaws...but sling blade has some classics...

Karl: I learned to read some. I read the Bible quite a bit. I can't understand all of it, but I reckon I understand a good deal of it. Them stories you and Mama told me ain't in there. You ought not done that to your boy. I studied on killing you. Studied on it quite a bit. But I reckon there ain't no need for it if all you're gonna do is sit there in that chair. You'll be dead soon enough and the world 'll be shut of ya. You ought not killed my little brother, he should've had a chance to grow up. He woulda had fun some time.

~~~

Bushman: There was a young man by the name of John Leggit Hunter who ran a filling station business, a good filling station business and he's one of these young men we all come across in life, I'm sure you've come across 'em, who did not deserve what he had and what he had was a beautiful young bride named Sarah. She was a Georgia peach. In fact, she was the picture I had in my mind of the perfect woman so I took it upon myself to take her away from John Leggit Hunter who did not deserve her. Oh, I don't know if I mentioned this but he was a Frenchman who claimed to be an Englishman. It took a lot of strong nylon cord to get her away from him because she was a fighter as well as being a Georgia peach.

~~~

Frank: You ever have any brothers or sisters growing up?

Karl Childers: I had one there for a little while. But, uh, it didn't get old enough for me to play with it.

Frank: Why not? It die?

Karl Childers: Yes, Sir.

Frank: Why?

Karl Childers: It got born too early. My mother and father made it come out too early some how or other.

Frank: So it died when it came out?

Karl Childers: My daddy came out to the shed and got me. He said, "Here, take this and throw it away", and he handed me a towel with something or another in it. Well I started for that barrel and I opened up the towel 'cause there was a noise. Something a-moving around in there. The towel was all bloody-like all aorund it there. It was a lil' ol' baby not no bigger than a squirrel.

Frank: A girl or a boy?

Karl Childers: It was a little ol' boy.

Frank: You threw it in the trash barrel?

Karl Childers: Well that didn't seem right to me, so I went in the shed and got me a shoe box and emptied out all the washers and nuts and screws that were in it and I takened the little fellar and put him inside the box and buried him right there in a corner of the yard. That seemed more proper to me, I reckon.

Frank: Was it still alive when you buried it?

Karl Childers: I heared it a-cryin' through that box.

Frank: That don't seem right. Seems like you would have kept him and taken care of him if he was your brother.

Karl Childers: I wasn't but 6 or 8. I don't reckon I knew what to do. I didn't know how to care for no baby. My mother and father didn't want him and they learned me to do what they told me. These days I reckon it's better to give him back to the Good Lord anyhow.

I can't remember it exactly. Memorized it in acting 101 in college. Story of a slave. Thought that was an interesting juxtaposition ... white man, Law Professor's son ... with my last name ... (common to famous black athletes) ... sit there an act like a slave. Could be bad.

Started like:

"Is dat my toe? It surely look like it don't hardly be. I sho' believe ... my toe is froze."

And then it's a story, about a slave who tries to save his master from a fire ... and then he tries to save the livestock ... and then he realizes that he'll be blamed for it and hung ... and he runs off into the forest ... and frezes to death. I wish I could remember the whole thing. I found it in the library at the University of Arizona, looking for African American monologues. I had to memorize it and act it out for the final. I got an A.

Hold the fock on ... there's more.

I have THE Hanibal Lechter speech memorized also.

"You know what you look like to me agent Starling? With your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube. A well scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste ...."

That's my vote.

Shal I go on?

"Good nutrition has given you some length of bone ... but you're not more than one generation from pure white trash .... are you agent Starling?"

Won some kinda statue award .... was a good movie.

"Do you remember how all the boys found you, all those tedious sticky fingers in the back seats of cars, while you could only think of getting out ... getting anywhere ... geting all the way to the EFFFF BEEEEEEE EYYYYYYYE!"

That was the last time we ever spoke of my brother's death. Indirectly though, Paul was always present in my father's thoughts. I remember the last sermon I heard him give...not long before his own death.

'Each one of us here today will, at one time in our lives, look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question. "We are willing to help, Lord..but what, if anything, is needed?" It is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give..or more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us..but we can still love them. We can love completely..without complete understanding.'

Now nearly all those I loved and did not understand in my youth are dead..even Jessie. But I still reach out to them. Of course, now I'm too old to be much of a fisherman. And now I usually fish the big waters alone..although some friends think I shouldn't. But when I am alone in the half-light of the canyon, all existence seems to fade to a being with my soul and memories...and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm..and the hope that a fish will rise. Eventually, all things merge into one...and a river runs through it.

Look Sux... if you call out somebody for a spelling error (like you did initially), and in doing so you make a spelling error, you get shiot. Rules of the bored. Kinda like the sharks. Suck it up, have another Koors, and move on. :headbanger:

If you re-read the post, I didn't call him out on a spelling error, but on the context of his statement.

If I was to call him out on a spelling error, I would be sure to actually look up the correct spelling of the word in question before I corrected him. HTH

Why must you allways pick on me? :cry:

obviously jaws...but sling blade has some classics...

Obviously, some of you are having a difficult time understanding the definition of a soliloquy.