Sign in to follow this  
Skinny_Bastard

11 straight road victories in one season

11 straight road victories and a Superbowl in one season. Can this every record every be broken?

Yes it can because it is possible to get 12.

Yes it can because it is possible to get 12.

You are right.

But I highly doubt a team that goes 8-0 on the road in the regualar season will only muster up a 3 seed or worse.

But it could happen.

All the more reason this record will never be tied, let alone broken.

He didn't ask "will it be broken" he asked "can it be broken". The correct answer is "yes it can" a team can win 12 away games in a season.

Probably not, simply because a truly dominant team will not be playing on the road come playoff time...

Nevertheless, while the road record is most certainly very impressive, the road schedule played by the Giants was laughable, at best...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nyg/sche...ENJXAtZQMyP2bYF

You're on to something there . . .

Tampa Bay

Dallas

Green Bay

New England

Cupcakes.

You are right.

But I highly doubt a team that goes 8-0 on the road in the regualar season will only muster up a 3 seed or worse.

But it could happen.

A 3 seed would still get a home game in the playoffs. You have to be a 5 or 6 seed to potentially play 4 playoff games away from home.

You're on to something there . . .

Tampa Bay

Dallas

Green Bay

New England

Cupcakes.

No one is going to have an easy schedule in the playoffs. Obviously he was talking about the regular-season schedule.

He didn't ask "will it be broken" he asked "can it be broken". The correct answer is "yes it can" a team can win 12 away games in a season.

Do you want to pick nits here? Yes, Skinny Bastard, in his post, asked, "Can this every record every be broken?" But my post was in response to 0428143, who did not ask "can it be broken". Also, in the thread subtitle, Skinny Bastard says, "This record will never be broken." So I think it's perfectly valid to comment on the likelihood of the record being broken. Now go run out into traffic.

You figure a team that can win 7 road games on the road during the regular season should be good enough to win 4 home games.

The giants were 3-5 at home this season, which is horrible for a playoff team.

Kind of like the Patriots division schedule.

What does the Patriots division schedule have to do with the Giants' record of 11 straight road games?

What does the Patriots division schedule have to do with the Giants' record of 11 straight road games?

Because someone said the Giants road schedule was laughable at best. I just pointed out that NE's division schedule was just as laughable. <_<

Edit to add: Correction, NE had the worst SOS in the entire league!!

http://www.fantasytailgate.com/SOS.html

You figure a team that can win 7 road games on the road during the regular season should be good enough to win 4 home games.

The giants were 3-5 at home this season, which is horrible for a playoff team.

It's downright amazing. Even the Jets and Falcons won 3 games at home this year. Although, the Giants' home schedule was brutal.

Still, the Giants beat 3 teams (Washington, Dallas, and New England) away from home, that they lost to at home.

Do you want to pick nits here? Yes, Skinny Bastard, in his post, asked, "Can this every record every be broken?" But my post was in response to 0428143, who did not ask "can it be broken". Also, in the thread subtitle, Skinny Bastard says, "This record will never be broken." So I think it's perfectly valid to comment on the likelihood of the record being broken. Now go run out into traffic.

That's what is bored is all about!

OK, I will play along, YES it will be broken in the next decade.

Because someone said the Giants road schedule was laughable at best. I just pointed out that NE's division schedule was just as laughable. <_<

But noone was talking about the Ptriots. The poster who brought up the Giants' easy schedule isn't even a Pat fan to my knowledge, he was just making a correct observation that was relevant to the post. New England's division schedule is completely unrelated to this entire discussion.

Also, obviously their divisional schedule was a piece of cake, but they're non-divisional schedule was as tough as anyone else I believe- They played some tough competition in non-divisional games this season, including 7 playoff teams and even Cleveland had 10 wins- (Indianapolis and Dallas, Washington, San Diego, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, Giants).

But noone was talking about the Ptriots. The poster who brought up the Giants' easy schedule isn't even a Pat fan to my knowledge, he was just making a correct observation that was relevant to the post. New England's division schedule is completely unrelated to this entire discussion.

Also, obviously their divisional schedule was a piece of cake, but they're non-divisional schedule was as tough as anyone else I believe- Every non-divisional game this season was against a playoff team except Cleveland (who still won 10 games)- (Indianapolis and Dallas, Washington, San Diego, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, Giants).

Yep, this wasn't a topic about NE, until how easy NY's schedule was mentioned. NE had the easiest SOS in the entire league!!

Because someone said the Giants road schedule was laughable at best. I just pointed out that NE's division schedule was just as laughable. :doublethumbsup:

deuce, nice facts, but your link is wrong. It claims the Pats' opposition only had 99 total wins this season...Here are the actual facts:

NYJ- 4 (X 2)

BUF- 7 (X 2)

MIA- 1 (X 2)

NYG- 10

DAL- 13

IND- 13

BAL- 5

PIT- 10

SD- 11

PHI- 8

WAS- 9

CLE- 10

CIN- 7

Total= looks like 120 to me.... :thumbsup:

So much for your "easiest schedule in the league argument"...

deuce, nice facts, but your link is wrong. It claims the Pats' opposition only had 99 total wins this season...Here are the actual facts:

NYJ- 4 (X 2)

BUF- 7 (X 2)

MIA- 1 (X 2)

NYG- 10

DAL- 13

IND- 13

BAL- 5

PIT- 10

SD- 11

PHI- 8

WAS- 9

CLE- 10

CIN- 7

Total= looks like 120 to me.... :doublethumbsup:

So much for your "easiest schedule in the league argument"...

I guess that is what NE's SOS is for '08 then. It says the same thing in this link....

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Dwind...dule_Dissection

I guess I can save the "NE has the easiest SOS" for '08!!

That's probably it.

Which means your previous argument is not only irrelevant, but also untrue!

Agreed, I was mistaken on that point. However, I wasn't mistaken on how crappy NE's divisional schedule was!! :banana:

New England becomes relevant to this discussion, if only because they went 8-0 on the road, as well. I understand that they did not lose 5 home games, which would be pre-requisite to a team pulling off what the Giants did this year. However, it suggests that there is merit in the possibility. It happens because more young QBs are forced to start earlier, and more home fans are less patient with said starters. Therefore, it's easier for these QBs to begin to find a rhythm commensurate with their talent level on the road, where the pressure is actually less.

t.j. - I know that he was referencing the regular season schedule, but the playoff victories give some credence to the idea that it wasn't merely a powderpuff schedule that got them there. Just saying . . . Add in New England's road success with the above mentioned theory, and the merit sums itself up, I think. :bench:

What I'm getting to is how amazing it is to even be able to play 12 away games in the year (Regular & Playoff).

Teams that can win 7 out of 8 away games should win more than half of their home games. 11-12 win season usually translate into a first round home game in the playoff. The accomplishment of this year's Giants really is one of those freaky, rare once in a lifetime type of event. I really doubt we'll see another 11 road victories including a super victory in our life time.

Well 2 of the "easy" Giants' road wins did come against Miami and Buffalo so there is maybe a small connection. :music_guitarred:

t.j. - I know that he was referencing the regular season schedule, but the playoff victories give some credence to the idea that it wasn't merely a powderpuff schedule that got them there. Just saying . . . Add in New England's road success with the above mentioned theory, and the merit sums itself up, I think. :unsure:

Dan, try to follow me here:

For a team to win 11+ straight road games in one season, the following has to happen: A. They have to dominate their road games, and B. They have to struggle in their home games.

That rarely happens, primarily because it's generally easier to win at home. Therefore, the Giants' easy road schedule during the regular season was a crucial factor. You could try to argue that they won 4 postseason games away from home against good teams, and therefore it's feasible that they could have won 7+ straight road games in the regular season even if they didn't have an easy road schedule. But I don't buy that argument. Keep in mind that although the Giants beat Dallas on the road in the postseason, they lost to them on the road in the regular season. So you have to believe that if they played a tougher road schedule during the regular season, they would not have gone 7-1 on the road. Here's the key: If the Giants were playing as well all season as they did in the playoffs, they would have never lost 5 home games, and they would not have the opportunity to play 11+ road games to begin with.

:pointstosky:

Dan, try to follow me here:

For a team to win 11+ straight road games in one season, the following has to happen: A. They have to dominate their road games, and B. They have to struggle in their home games.

That rarely happens, primarily because it's generally easier to win at home. Therefore, the Giants' easy road schedule during the regular season was a crucial factor. You could try to argue that they won 4 postseason games away from home against good teams, and therefore it's feasible that they could have won 7+ straight road games in the regular season even if they didn't have an easy road schedule. But I don't buy that argument. Keep in mind that although the Giants beat Dallas on the road in the postseason, they lost to them on the road in the regular season. So you have to believe that if they played a tougher road schedule during the regular season, they would not have gone 7-1 on the road. Here's the key: If the Giants were playing as well all season as they did in the playoffs, they would have never lost 5 home games, and they would not have the opportunity to play 11+ road games to begin with.

t.j. - I follow you completely. I am by no means trying to imply that the task should simply be repeated in the near future, or at any time. I am certain that you are right regarding the strength of schedule bearing weight on their ability to run the regular season on the road. I definitely hear those arguments. I'm merely presenting the other side. Look at the "why" to the Giants' season, and you start with Eli. Playing in the pressure-cooker that is New York, Eli was able to settle better on the road - perhaps the whole team was? - and it resulted in better road success.

The road schedule was easy, yes, but . . . they beat Washington in Washington and lost to them in New York. They beat the Bears in Chicago and got thrashed by Minnesota in New York. Just a note.

The "whys", when explored, lend credence to the possibility that it could happen again. Look at your pressure-cooker cities with good teams and talented but young QBs (future, not just right now), and it could happen. Hard to argue against. That kind of thing has happened twice in the last three years now (not the streak, but the road success in general).

Giants were argueably the worst regular season team to ever win a Super Bowl. I highly doubt anyone will ever be bad enough at home and then get hot as hell and run through the playoffs like they did again.

It was nice to see the Giants win until Strahan turned into the biggest ###### in the world.

11 straight road victories and a Superbowl in one season. Can this every record every be broken?

No. Football fans think about this. The last 3 teams they beat were a combined 45-6:

Dallas 13-3

GB 14-3 (win over Sea in playoffs)

NE 18-0

Very impressive.

Who won the Super Bowl? :thumbsup:

It wouldn't be easy, but it's conceivable.

It's fairly easy for a 10-6, 11-5, even a 12-4 team to lose the division, especially in the AFC. The 2005 Steelers, for example, were 10-2 on the road. Play .500 ball at home, in a tough division, peak at the right time, and have a little bit of luck, and it's possible.

It's fairly easy for a 10-6, 11-5, even a 12-4 team to lose the division, especially in the AFC. The 2005 Steelers, for example, were 10-2 on the road. Play .500 ball at home, in a tough division, peak at the right time, and have a little bit of luck, and it's possible.

Exactly, you only have to finish 2nd in your division to be a wild card and play all your playoff games on the road. If 2 great teams were in the same division a team could easily finish with 15, 14 13 wins and finish 2nd in their division but still go 8-0 on the road.

It's fairly easy for a 10-6 team to lose the division, but it's extremely rare for a 10-6 team to go 7-1 or 8-0 on the road. Same for an 11-5 team. And when you start getting into the scenario of going 12-4 or better and not winning the divison... that means there's another team in the division that is also 12-4 (with tiebreaker) or better. The odds of having beaten that team on the road would be slim. And since you can only lose 1 road game all year and still match what the Giants did, that just about kills it right there.

Also, the Steelers had an unusual season because they lose several games during the regular season due to an injury to their QB, so their record in the regular season was not representative of how good of a team they were come playoff time (with Big Ben having been back for a month or so). So yeah, the Steelers went 10-2 on the road in 2005, but that was pretty remarkable. Keep in mind that before the Steelers and Giants, no team had ever won 3 road games during the conference playoffs before.

Also, to be strict on the thread title, it's 11 straight road victories in one season. So that means you can't just win any 7 of the regular season road games, it has to be the last 7 (and maybe the first one as well). Although, the fact that the Giants won 11 road games at all is really what's interesting, not so much the fact that it was 11 in a row.

Who ever says the Giants schedule was a cakewalk is an absolute moron. And just to clarify, I am not a smarmy eastcoaster or a Giants fan in any way.

First of all, this is the pros. It is not college bullsh$t where you will play six games against crap teams and beat them by 40 points. Teams make adjustments throughout the year and there are no guarenteed victories.

Next, the Giants played in the toughest divison bar none. There is no argument. If Philly or Wasington were in the West or South, they would have on those divisions easily. So even though you idiots don't count those as tough wins, anyone with half a brain could tell you that going to Philly or wash is not an easy task.

Lastly, this is a very impressive record. The Giants are certainly not the most talented team to win the SB, but they are one of the toughest. Even at that, I would argue that the Gmen have plenty of top flight talent on their team, so anyone that is surprised that they were able to win the SB (I'm not saying that you had to predict it) is an idiot.

Next, the Giants played in the toughest divison bar none. There is no argument.

Um . . . AFC South. I'd say there's at least an argument.

Who ever says the Giants schedule was a cakewalk is an absolute moron. And just to clarify, I am not a smarmy eastcoaster or a Giants fan in any way.

First of all, this is the pros. It is not college bullsh$t where you will play six games against crap teams and beat them by 40 points. Teams make adjustments throughout the year and there are no guarenteed victories.

Next, the Giants played in the toughest divison bar none. There is no argument. If Philly or Wasington were in the West or South, they would have on those divisions easily. So even though you idiots don't count those as tough wins, anyone with half a brain could tell you that going to Philly or wash is not an easy task.

Here is who the Giants played on the road during the regular season:

Dallas 13-3 (Loss)

Washington 9-7 (part of a 5-7 start for Washington)

Atlanta 4-12

Miami 1-15

Detroit 7-9 (part of a 6-game losing streak for Detroit)

Chicago 7-9 (part of a 3-game losing streak for Chicago)

Philly 8-8 (part of a 3-game losing streak for Philly)

Buffalo 7-9 (part of a 3-game losing streak for Buffalo)

That is garbage. They didn't have a very difficult road win in the entire regular season, despite winning 7 straight. Now in terms of their home schedule, it was the complete opposite story, the teams the Giants lost to at home were for the most part very good teams, and all of the teams they lost to at home were very hot at the time. But face it, the Giants' road schedule was a cakewalk after the first loss to Dallas.

It's fairly easy for a 10-6 team to lose the division, but it's extremely rare for a 10-6 team to go 7-1 or 8-0 on the road. Same for an 11-5 team. And when you start getting into the scenario of going 12-4 or better and not winning the divison... that means there's another team in the division that is also 12-4 (with tiebreaker) or better. The odds of having beaten that team on the road would be slim. And since you can only lose 1 road game all year and still match what the Giants did, that just about kills it right there.

Also, the Steelers had an unusual season because they lose several games during the regular season due to an injury to their QB, so their record in the regular season was not representative of how good of a team they were come playoff time (with Big Ben having been back for a month or so). So yeah, the Steelers went 10-2 on the road in 2005, but that was pretty remarkable. Keep in mind that before the Steelers and Giants, no team had ever won 3 road games during the conference playoffs before.

Also, to be strict on the thread title, it's 11 straight road victories in one season. So that means you can't just win any 7 of the regular season road games, it has to be the last 7 (and maybe the first one as well). Although, the fact that the Giants won 11 road games at all is really what's interesting, not so much the fact that it was 11 in a row.

Keep in mind that before the Steelers and Giants, no team had ever won 3 road games during the conference playoffs before. Are you sure? If memory serves me correctly, didn't the 85 Patriots win 3 straight on the road before getting crushed by the Bears in the Super Bowl?