Sign in to follow this  
donhaas

Let's talk Packers

Most of you were surprised at how the Packers did last season, but not me because I predicted 14-2 :thumbsup: ....

The future looks good -- It's very promising to be the 2nd best team in the NFL and also the youngest team in the NFL... :P

What are our off-season priorities??

What do you think about the zone blocking?

Who do we draft?

Good times :dunno:

Most of you were surprised at how the Packers did last season, but not me because I predicted 14-2 :thumbsup: ....

The future looks good -- It's very promising to be the 2nd best team in the NFL and also the youngest team in the NFL... :P

Who do we draft?

Good times :dunno:

Id like a Saftey that can cover and make plays to replace Nick Collins.

The Zone blocking seemed fine with me, I think they need a little more depth on the Line, and maybe add a good Gaurd to compete with Colladge.

Everything i have seen so far has CB as the pick in the 1st round. Its hard to really say what the Packers should draft in the first, they are young and don't really have any big FAs leaving (besides Corey Williams). The draft doesn't really have any good Safteys besides Kenny Phillips, but he won't be there. Maybe a OLB if one happens to be there? I'd say go BPA.

Id like a Saftey that can cover and make plays to replace Nick Collins.

The Zone blocking seemed fine with me, I think they need a little more depth on the Line, and maybe add a good Gaurd to compete with Colladge.

Everything i have seen so far has CB as the pick in the 1st round. Its hard to really say what the Packers should draft in the first, they are young and don't really have any big FAs leaving (besides Corey Williams). The draft doesn't really have any good Safteys besides Kenny Phillips, but he won't be there. Maybe a OLB if one happens to be there? I'd say go BPA.

It seems that everyone is claiming the LB is a need for the Packers. I'd say it's a luxury. OL, CB, S, DL would be how I'd prioritize it.

It seems that everyone is claiming the LB is a need for the Packers. I'd say it's a luxury. OL, CB, S, DL would be how I'd prioritize it.

I like Brady P, but the position can be upgraded.

I would look to upgrade the OL and S first. DL (even if we lose C. Williams) will still have Jolly and Cole (who were playing well before they went down) coming back from injury along with Pickett and Harrell... I guess it doesn't hurt to have a lot of guys....

I wouldn't mind them getting a little speedy, shifty RB (Westbrook-type :thumbsdown: ) to compliment Grant if there was one available, too.

Inside Defensive lineman

A tall corner, fairly talented and fairly young. Although I don't mind Harris and Woodson, their age and health are concerns.

Some great return guy would be nice. I don't think KR has got much in his tank for that job, just let him be WR4.

A good backup RB to spell Grant.

OL, CB, S, DL (end maybe) are all depth issues more than starter issues at this point (with the exception of maybe safety...but I love Rouse and would like to see him get more of a chance).

LB, Im not that fond of Poppinga. I think he has done ok, and was good in the Giants game (one of the few bright spots in that game). But I think he is the obvious weak spot of that LB group and with the depth in this draft, they could get a very good LB to go with Hawk and Barnett.

I had my crazy idea...let Williams walk...trade or release KGB...move Jenkins back to DT...sign Jared Allen.

Inside Defensive lineman

A tall corner, fairly talented and fairly young. Although I don't mind Harris and Woodson, their age and health are concerns.

Some great return guy would be nice. I don't think KR has got much in his tank for that job, just let him be WR4.

Inside DL?

Unless Jolly is screwed...why is that a need?

Between Pickett, Jenkins, Cole, Jolly, Harrell...not sure how that is a need....especially if they sign Williams.

Agree on corner.

Inside Defensive lineman

1st round: Aqib Talib or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie if you want tall athletic CB's that could potentially be a KR as well.

Backup RB.....Tashard Choice, Mike Hart........both will be able to be had in mid rounds most likely.

As far as safety goes, are you guys saying FS or SS? As far as I know they are not really interchangeable right? FS is more of a cover guy where SS is more of a run stopper (who also needs to cover)? If this is true why is Rouse a FS? He's as big as many LB'ers so why is he not a SS? Someone please educate me.

OL, CB, S, DL (end maybe) are all depth issues more than starter issues at this point (with the exception of maybe safety...but I love Rouse and would like to see him get more of a chance).

LB, Im not that fond of Poppinga. I think he has done ok, and was good in the Giants game (one of the few bright spots in that game). But I think he is the obvious weak spot of that LB group and with the depth in this draft, they could get a very good LB to go with Hawk and Barnett.

I had my crazy idea...let Williams walk...trade or release KGB...move Jenkins back to DT...sign Jared Allen.

It would be depth almost everywhere on the field. I'd understand an athletic CB as it's going to be a need sooner than later due to age. It's a bad year for safety and they could get by with Collins, Rouse, and Bigby if they stay healthy. I could see them going for a guard in the 2nd like the Rachal kid from USC. Or maybe a tweener guy like Quentin Groves from Auburn who could be a speed rusher or switched to a OLB. There's lots of different ways to go in this draft for GB. And it's nice that they don't have a lot of needs.

As far as safety goes, are you guys saying FS or SS? As far as I know they are not really interchangeable right? FS is more of a cover guy where SS is more of a run stopper (who also needs to cover)? If this is true why is Rouse a FS? He's as big as many LB'ers so why is he not a SS? Someone please educate me.

Actually, that's a really good question. Why is Rouse listed as a FS? Is it b/c he's the only one that could cover for Collins when out last year?

LB, Im not that fond of Poppinga. I think he has done ok, and was good in the Giants game (one of the few bright spots in that game). But I think he is the obvious weak spot of that LB group and with the depth in this draft, they could get a very good LB to go with Hawk and Barnett..

Another question. What about LB Bishop? He looked great in the preseason. I know he doesn't have great speed but does have great instincts.

Another question. What about LB Bishop? He looked great in the preseason. I know he doesn't have great speed but does have great instincts.

I think LB is hard to gauge cause they have so many duties. Couldn't Bishop play Mike, move Hawk to Sam and Barnett to Will? Barnett's size would indicate (along with what seemed to be probs shedding blocks from OL) he would be better on the weak side. But I guess size is not the only thing to consider (like speed and cover abilities). BTW, Barnett is like 232 lbs and Hwak/Bishop are mid 240's.

The future looks good -- It's very promising to be the 2nd best team in the NFL and also the youngest team in the NFL... :unsure:

Who do we draft?

Good times :banana:

The village idiot is ranting again.

The village idiot is ranting again.

Please either take it to the "Teams that haven't won a playoff game in 14 years" thread or the "Dallas Lions" thread..

TIA!!! :banana:

Please either take it to the "Teams that haven't won a playoff game in 14 years" thread or the "Dallas Lions" thread..

TIA!!!

Dallas is the most successful franchise of the modern era! :thumbsdown: :overhead: :overhead: :dunno: :lol:

Packers were lucky not to suffer any really impact ful injury for any length of time - chances of that happening are zero to nil

Will Favre play the same way he played the past year? I doubt that too. He will most likely return to throwing more picks like he did in the playoffs, 2nd Bears game etc

Schedule will be tougher (get 1st place schedule so it means Seattle and Dallas)

Will they get all the breaks they got this past year? (Denver game at the end; Eagles games where the Eagles gave the game away by muffing punts etc)

The division will be tougher next year because the Bears will not be as injured (highly doubt that 2 years in a row); not that that matters given the Bears own the fudgies in every game that matters the past 3 years. And the Vikings will be tougher too.

The CBs of the fudgies can be burnt when they play man on man (not to mention all the PIs penalties) - Burress exposed Harris for being the average CB he is.

If we approach free agency like Ted usually does, we cannot expect much. Who knows though, with us knocking at the Superbowl door, Ted, might spend some money to try to bring us over the top. I would like OL, CB/S, and LB to be adressed early in the draft. It really doesnt matter which order, I think the best player available theory will likely be the case. There really isnt much LB depth unless Dan Connor falls to the bottom of the round. Otherwise there are some good corners likely to drop to us. Ted can usually find some solid linemen in the mid to late rounds, so I would look for him to maybe trade around to grab some more picks, especially if the targeted guy isnt there. Should be interesting.

Inside DL?

Unless Jolly is screwed...why is that a need?

Between Pickett, Jenkins, Cole, Jolly, Harrell...not sure how that is a need....especially if they sign Williams.

Agree on corner.

I never said it was a top priority, just part of the off season wish list. The Pack gave up over a hundred yards a game on average. That could be a little better, especially since another divisional team is only giving up 74 yards on average.

Packers were lucky not to suffer any really impact ful injury for any length of time - chances of that happening are zero to nil

Will Favre play the same way he played the past year? I doubt that too. He will most likely return to throwing more picks like he did in the playoffs, 2nd Bears game etc

Schedule will be tougher (get 1st place schedule so it means Seattle and Dallas)

Will they get all the breaks they got this past year? (Denver game at the end; Eagles games where the Eagles gave the game away by muffing punts etc)

The division will be tougher next year because the Bears will not be as injured (highly doubt that 2 years in a row); not that that matters given the Bears own the fudgies in every game that matters the past 3 years. And the Vikings will be tougher too.

The CBs of the fudgies can be burnt when they play man on man (not to mention all the PIs penalties) - Burress exposed Harris for being the average CB he is.

The Packers missed Jennings for the first 2 games.

They had several injuries to the RBs in the preseason, then lost their starter in Wynn for the season. Grant was deeper on the depth chart. That he was better once he got the chance does not mean they suffered no impactful injury...Id say that one had an impact...but because of good team management, the impact was actually positive.

They lost 2 DTs, were shuffling the Oline all year long. While they were lucky with the injuries..is not as if they did not have any that had an impact...good drafting and moves by the GM gave this team depth. Something your Bears lacked.

Will Favre play the same way? I don't see any reason why he cannot or will not. How will he most likely do that? In the Seattle game he was very good. You take 2 extreme weather games and try to think he will go to that mode all year?

Schedule was not all that easy anyway. 1st place accounts for a whole 2 games.

Denver game at the end? What breaks? Good gosh you like to make excuses for why the team was good this year.

I agree the division will be tougher, but it has nothing to do with the Bears. Who have a ton more to worry about than the Packers.

The CBs can be burnt...though, most of the time they are not. They are still a very good tandem, despite the one game against the Giants.

If we approach free agency like Ted usually does, we cannot expect much. Who knows though, with us knocking at the Superbowl door, Ted, might spend some money to try to bring us over the top. I would like OL, CB/S, and LB to be adressed early in the draft. It really doesnt matter which order, I think the best player available theory will likely be the case. There really isnt much LB depth unless Dan Connor falls to the bottom of the round. Otherwise there are some good corners likely to drop to us. Ted can usually find some solid linemen in the mid to late rounds, so I would look for him to maybe trade around to grab some more picks, especially if the targeted guy isnt there. Should be interesting.

Like he did 2 years ago signing Woodson, Pickett...and so on? Look, the guy will spend if he sees the right people and the need. And he has said several times that if the team was close (and I don't think he realized how close they were) that he would not hesitate to spend to push them over.

Not any LB depth? This is one of the deepest LB drafts in a while.

Connor, Laurinitis, Highsmith, Lehman...and so on.

I never said it was a top priority, just part of the off season wish list. The Pack gave up over a hundred yards a game on average. That could be a little better, especially since another divisional team is only giving up 74 yards on average.

Yup...just over 100 per game...but only 6 TDs on the year (tied for the best in the league).

They give up yards between the 20s...but they tighten up big time in the redzone. They did all year.

I just don't see DT as a big position of need (depending on how Jolly and Cole can come back). Id love them to sign Williams just to ensure the same rotation if they could.

I think DE is much more a position of need.

What break did they get in the Denver game?

THe division will be tougher because of the Vikes, not the Bears...unless they magically find a QB, WR, and RB in the offseason.

It's funny how you take one bad game from Harris and decide he's average. He had a bad game in the playoffs. He also had an entire great season before that game....how is he average?

I know you like to come in here and stir stuff up...drop bait or whatever, but try and come with something better than this. I know you're a Bears fan, and the highlight of your year was the Packers. I know it hurts you deep inside that the Packers were successful this year. I know you hate that Favre, at age 38, is still better than whoever the hell your QB is next year...but come on dude...stop being gay...oh ya and the fudgies? Hilarious...

Most of you were surprised at how the Packers did last season, but not me because I predicted 14-2 :lol: ....

Hmmm so you predicted 14-2 yet after they choked at home you said they were on borrowed time? So you knew at the beginning of the year the Fudge Packers would go 14-2 and choke at home ?

Flip flops are beautiful :thumbsup:

I had a friend was a big baseball player

Back in high school

He could throw that speedball by you

Make you look like a fool boy

Saw him the other night at this roadside bar

I was walking in, he was walking out

We went back inside sat down had a few drinks

But all he kept talking about was

Chorus:

Glory days well they'll pass you by

Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye

Glory days, glory days

Well there's a girl that lives up the block

Back in school she could turn all the boy's heads

Sometimes on a friday i'll stop by

And have a few drinks after she put her kids to bed

Her and her husband bobby well they split up

I guess it's two years gone by now

We just sit around talking about the old times,

She says when she feels like crying

She starts laughing thinking about

My old man worked 20 years on the line

And they let him go

Now everywhere he goes out looking for work

They just tell him that he's too old

I was 9 nine years old and he was working at the

Metuchen ford plant assembly line

Now he just sits on a stool down at the legion hall

But i can tell what's on his mind

Glory days yeah goin back

Glory days aw he ain't never had

Glory days, glory days

Now i think i'm going down to the well tonight

And i'm going to drink till i get my fill

And i hope when i get old i don't sit around thinking about it

But i probably will

Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture

A little of the glory of, well time slips away

And leaves you with nothing mister but

Boring stories of glory days

Great story, grandpa, but I think it's time for a nap... :lol:

:thumbsup: :cry:

This is a Packer thread... You can take this to the "7-9" board, the "last place" board, or the "we've had 4 winning seasons and 47 quarterbacks in 18 seasons" board..

TIA!!! :lol:

Hmmm so you predicted 14-2 yet after they choked at home you said they were on borrowed time? So you knew at the beginning of the year the Fudge Packers would go 14-2 and choke at home ?

Flip flops are beautiful :lol:

They lost in OT in the NFC championship game to the super bowl champs.

They're the youngest team in the league; they'll get better from it...

Take it to the "we got crushed by the Packers" board or the "our crapass franchise has never won a super bowl" board :thumbsup:

:cry:

Yup...just over 100 per game...but only 6 TDs on the year (tied for the best in the league).

They give up yards between the 20s...but they tighten up big time in the redzone. They did all year.

I just don't see DT as a big position of need (depending on how Jolly and Cole can come back). Id love them to sign Williams just to ensure the same rotation if they could.

I think DE is much more a position of need.

I agree that DT is not a weakness or need, however it does look like Williams is gone. Harrell should be able to step into that role though next season. I could definitely see us taking a DE at some point, KGB is not getting any younger. I like our safeties, I just hope Rouse replaces Collins as the full time starter. I think Atari might be on his way to becoming a very solid player in the NFL. We could always use more offensive linemen as well.

Like he did 2 years ago signing Woodson, Pickett...and so on? Look, the guy will spend if he sees the right people and the need. And he has said several times that if the team was close (and I don't think he realized how close they were) that he would not hesitate to spend to push them over.

Not any LB depth? This is one of the deepest LB drafts in a while.

Connor, Laurinitis, Highsmith, Lehman...and so on.

Pack fans should be able to discuss such things in a unified friendly manner. Also get you facts straight, I am pretty sure the top underclassmen LBs are staying (ie Laurinitis)

I wasn't saying it was a need but maybe the 4th or so psoition to target......if a good OLB falls I say take him in the 1st.

Haha....

Bears relevant every 20 years.... :thumbsup:

Pack fans should be able to discuss such things in a unified friendly manner. Also get you facts straight, I am pretty sure the top underclassmen LBs are staying (ie Laurinitis)

He wasn't bring unfriendly......he was just talking realistically...

This is FFTODAY. Not FOOTBALLGAYS

Get some thicker skin.

Go Packers.

I think the Packers can go to the Super Bowl......if Aaron Rodgers is at the helm. :music_guitarred:

I think the Packers can go to the Super Bowl......if Aaron Rodgers is at the helm. :music_guitarred:

You are funnier than Doug Williams at the emmit smith roast :music_guitarred:

You are funnier than Doug Williams at the emmit smith roast :sleep:

Do you think the Pack could trade for Kyle Orton? He seems to be able to handle the cold and wind better than Favrah. :sleep: