Sign in to follow this  
DICKMAN64

Are the Vikings a contender now?

With Bret Favre gone now do you guys think that the vikings have a shot at the division. they are a vetran team that i think is ready to win now and i know if the do go to the playoffs they will probably lose right away i am not saying there going to go to the super bowl, but i do think that they will win the divison what do you guys think. :unsure:

With Bret Favre gone now do you guys think that the vikings have a shot at the division. they are a vetran team that i think is ready to win now and i know if the do go to the playoffs they will probably lose right away i am not saying there going to go to the super bowl, but i do think that they will win the divison what do you guys think. :unsure:

It's difficult to tell. AD got shut down at the end of last year because teams were just stacking the box against him. Unless they somehow assemble some kind of pass game, it could be a repeat of the end of last season.

They will have a shot at the division, but if they do win it, will have as much to do with a Packers dropoff as a Vikings rise. They aren't real contenders for the NFC Championship.

I would not be surprised to see the winner of that Divsion go 8-8.

The real question: Who's worse? NFC West or NFC North?

I'd love to see the Purple rise to the top, but they still have serious issues to address:

Is TJack the answer at QB? We'll know more early on in '08. They need to get someone else to compete for the starting gig.

Is the pass defense any better than last year? They still had problems stopping opposing QBs from lighting them up at times. A solid DE or two will help, as well as shoring up their secondary.

Who will they add to their receiving corps? Will Rice expand upon a solid rookie campaign? Can they do something about Shiancoe? Clearly he was not worth what they gave him last year.

If they do collect more talent offensively, will Chilly and Co. open things up, or continue with their conservative playcalling? There's gotta be more to an offense than run left, slant, run left.

The Vikes have lots of questions still, on both sides of the ball. Unfortunately, the biggest question mark is under center. If they can get solid, consistent play from QB next year, then yes the division is theirs for the taking. If not, they will beat who they should, and lose to better teams. Another 8-8 finish at best.

That team is one solid veteran QB, having an injury-free 2008 season, away from being an NFC powerhouse. Jackson is absolutely killing them.

That team is one solid veteran QB, having an injury-free 2008 season, away from being an NFC powerhouse. Jackson is absolutely killing them.

Still need help at DE and LB to me.

That defense is great agaisnt the run...but sometimes teams don't even care about running against them because they suck so bad against the pass.

I like the Vikings myself. They have spots of weakness and areas to tweek. But overall I believe them to be a very solid team.

Heard that a lot last year, too, during pre-season.

Didn't quite work out that way...

I don't know why everybody is always so down on the NFC North. Yes, besides the Packers there are a lot of scrub teams with annoying fans....

But the two worst teams were 7-9 last year. The Packers were 13-3 and this close to beating the Super Bowl Champs in the NFC title game. They lose Favre (who many said was old and overrated, anyway) and now they'll drop five games down???

I guess we'll see once again. :wall:

I don't know why everybody is always so down on the NFC North. Yes, besides the Packers there are a lot of scrub teams with annoying fans....

But the two worst teams were 7-9 last year. The Packers were 13-3 and this close to beating the Super Bowl Champs in the NFC title game. They lose Favre (who many said was old and overrated, anyway) and now they'll drop five games down???

I agree. I'll go on record as saying that Aaron Rodgers is going to have a very fine year. The kid is ready. That is a lot of the reason Favre retired. In fact, he probably made his mind up after the Dallas game last season. Rodgers looked VERY poised, like he was an entirely different player from the prior season.

The Pack will be fine, and Rodgers will be a FF stud.

That defense is great agaisnt the run...but sometimes teams don't even care about running against them because they suck so bad against the pass.

Say what you want about the passing D, but that team is beast-like in the trenches and has some very dangerous playmakes on both sides of the ball. Having an NFL caliber QB will settle everything down on offense, and allow them to utilize players like Peterson and Sidney Rice. With the offense scoring more points, and keeping the ball longer, it helps the defense by default.

I'd also be taking a long look at the defensive coordinator position...

QUOTE(wiffleball @ Mar 6 2008, 02:30 PM) *

I agree with Donhaas on this as well. When it comes to the Norris Division he knows what he is talking about. :pointstosky:

Say what you want about the passing D, but that team is beast-like in the trenches and has some very dangerous playmakes on both sides of the ball. Having an NFL caliber QB will settle everything down on offense, and allow them to utilize players like Peterson and Sidney Rice. With the offense scoring more points, and keeping the ball longer, it helps the defense by default.

Precisely, a very solid team. We keep a close eye on the O but the D has playmakers that get the turnovers and can score as well.

With Bret Favre gone now do you guys think that the vikings have a shot at the division. they are a vetran team that i think is ready to win now and i know if the do go to the playoffs they will probably lose right away i am not saying there going to go to the super bowl, but i do think that they will win the divison what do you guys think. :wall:

This would imply that only Bret could stop them. I think that is a ridiculous notion for any fan to hope for. The Vikes will make it if they deserve it plain and simple.

I'm not sure why everyone expects the Pack to crash because Favre is gone. Obviously no one is going in and replacing Favre, but it's not like he was carrying the team in every game. In the 2nd half they found a solid running game, they have good WR's and the defence is solid. Rodgers doesn't need to come in and throw 50 times a game for them to win. I still think they are the team to beat in the division, but Minnesota should certainly make that difficult. Minny's success rides on Tavaris starting to look like an NFL QB (no sign of that yet), and Peterson staying healthy because he does carry the team.

Both the Pack and Minny get a guaranteed 4 wins this year by virtue of having the Lions and Bears in their division, so I don't think the division winner will be 8-8.

the packers are a still a very talented team, with a deep wr unit, young and improving interior o-line, stellar bookend tackles (clifton/tauscher), and a ncie up-and-coming (maybe already here) hb in ryan grant. the defense only took 1 big hit thus far in FA, losing DT corey williams to the browns; his loss hurts the rotation they had, but at least they did get a 2nd rdr for him and can reload with the draft.

overall, it must be said the division crown is a little more attainable for anyone else, now that favre is out. he was arguably the best player, or at least top3 in the whole division (AP and urlacher can be argued). so yeah, i think they are division contenders; as far as deeper into the playoffs, it wil depend upon how much they can gain in the passing game. until you can sustain drives through the air, and make people unstack your all-pro run game, you wont "spin much gold out of straw" in the nfl. they have a chmpshp caliber defense (the safety swap of smith for williams is negligible), o-line, and run game. they have added some nice deep speed as well in berrian.

LineBacker??

I agree on DE...we're like the Lions with WR's. We've spent a first round pick on DE's like 2 or 3 times in the last 5 years and they've done NOTHING.

But I don't agree with linebacker.

They got their upgrade at Safety, which hopefully will HELP with Pass Defense.

They need a true pass rushing DE and the D is set. Not perfect, but good enough to win.

But I agree with everyone. I don't care if Barry Sanders is in our backfield, with ZERO passing game, AD will be the biggest bust next year, and that's if he doesn't get hurt.

If Childress does to AD what they did to Barry in Detroit, I'll hunt the sumbitch down myself.

They need to give TJak one more year of starts. And they need a TE to step up.

If he has his security blanket, and Berrian and Rice can lead the way at WR, then it's all in Tjaks' hands.

If he doesn't improve markedly this year, he has got to be replaced (or Chilly).

BTW...side note. Bobby Wade was an absolute STUD last year for this team. His stats don't show it, but I tivo all the games and have been going back and watching them. He's MONEY on 3rd downs and big play situations.

I figured he was a nobody but he's a PLAYER.

But that passing D hurts the overall D.

Team was first by far in rushing yards against (but other teams better in rushing TDs allowed)...but were what...20th in total yards against?

Like I said...teams sometimes would not even try to run because they knew they could put up 300 yards easy on the passing deffense.

Very dangerous playmakers on both sides?

Who?

I count ADP (I don't count the DTs as dangerous playmakers).

Sharper maybe? But he takes too many chances and gets burnt as often as he makes a great play.

Their DEs and LBs are average (at best...Id put them below average) and their corners are nothing special.

LineBacker??

I agree on DE...we're like the Lions with WR's. We've spent a first round pick on DE's like 2 or 3 times in the last 5 years and they've done NOTHING.

But I don't agree with linebacker.

They got their upgrade at Safety, which hopefully will HELP with Pass Defense.

They need a true pass rushing DE and the D is set. Not perfect, but good enough to win.

But I agree with everyone. I don't care if Barry Sanders is in our backfield, with ZERO passing game, AD will be the biggest bust next year, and that's if he doesn't get hurt.

If Childress does to AD what they did to Barry in Detroit, I'll hunt the sumbitch down myself.

They need to give TJak one more year of starts. And they need a TE to step up.

If he has his security blanket, and Berrian and Rice can lead the way at WR, then it's all in Tjaks' hands.

If he doesn't improve markedly this year, he has got to be replaced (or Chilly).

BTW...side note. Bobby Wade was an absolute STUD last year for this team. His stats don't show it, but I tivo all the games and have been going back and watching them. He's MONEY on 3rd downs and big play situations.

I figured he was a nobody but he's a PLAYER.

Yes...LB. They are nothing special.

Wade a stud? Who wouldn't look like a stud on that team.

But he is no stud. A #3 at best on most teams.

The extra safety may help some (and I have praised that signing)...but with such a weak pass rush...nobody can cover guys all day long.

and im not big on Berrian. Another fast WR who has trouble holding onto the ball.

But that passing D hurts the overall D.

Team was first by far in rushing yards against (but other teams better in rushing TDs allowed)...but were what...20th in total yards against?

Like I said...teams sometimes would not even try to run because they knew they could put up 300 yards easy on the passing deffense.

Very dangerous playmakers on both sides?

Who?

I count ADP (I don't count the DTs as dangerous playmakers).

Sharper maybe? But he takes too many chances and gets burnt as often as he makes a great play.

Their DEs and LBs are average (at best...Id put them below average) and their corners are nothing special.

I'll concede most of this, but Winfield is an underrated player. He's small but is probably the toughest guy out there. Definitely the best tackler. EJ Henderson had a pretty good year last year. Much improved over '06. It was Greenway's first year. Leber is OK. Overall, I think the Vikes have a solid though unspectacular LB corps and should improve this year. Plus they'll get Rufus Alexander back from injury. He did not play in '07 but was the Big 12 leading tackler @ OK. Could be a nice 'addition' next year. If the Vikes can draft a stud at DE, and Ray Edwards can continue where he left off before he was suspended, the Vikes will have a very good D in '08. They should give Rodgers some problems......if he's not hurt by then.

actually think this will be a nice race in the NFC Norris this year between Minny and G Bay....

I still give the edge to GBay due to QB.... yes I think Rodgers will be very good this year and the Pack wins this division, but Minny will battle for sure.... I do like those Williams boys cloggin up the middle...

P.S. - ShoNuff.... I watched Berrian at Fresno a few games and loved this kid coming out.... you're being a little hard on B.B. IMO.... you have to take it in that he's been stuck in fantasy Wr hell his whole career.... It's like being an RB in Arizona the past few decades, you can only due what you can do...ya know what I mean???? BB can, and will stretch the field, if Tavaris can play decent ball they may give the green and yellow a run for their money..... I see the Pack goin 10-6 and Minny 9-7 with a season split..... :overhead:

did Tav Jackson suddenly become a competent QB? if so, then sure. Wait, he is throwing to Berrian, Sydney Rice, and Bobby Wade right? ouch.

actually think this will be a nice race in the NFC Norris this year between Minny and G Bay....

I still give the edge to GBay due to QB.... yes I think Rodgers will be very good this year and the Pack wins this division, but Minny will battle for sure.... I do like those Williams boys cloggin up the middle...

P.S. - ShoNuff.... I watched Berrian at Fresno a few games and loved this kid coming out.... you're being a little hard on B.B. IMO.... you have to take it in that he's been stuck in fantasy Wr hell his whole career.... It's like being an RB in Arizona the past few decades, you can only due what you can do...ya know what I mean???? BB can, and will stretch the field, if Tavaris can play decent ball they may give the green and yellow a run for their money..... I see the Pack goin 10-6 and Minny 9-7 with a season split..... :thumbsup:

Im only going on what Berrian has done so far. And with balls thrown to him that he has dropped.

He is talented and fast (but so was Troy Wiliamson)

And stretching the field sounds nice...but as good as that Oline is at run blocking...they have not been the greatest pass blocking team. And getting downfield requires protection.

Im sure the Vikings will give them a run...and they should. But the Pack are still the team to beat (and I think your record prediction is probably about right)

did Tav Jackson suddenly become a competent QB? if so, then sure. Wait, he is throwing to Berrian, Sydney Rice, and Bobby Wade right? ouch.

Don't forget Shiancoe! :pointstosky:

I do expect the vikings to be a little bit better this year and i like how they are strong in the trenches, but they wont win consistently without a decent passing game which i dont think will happen. If im wrong and the can pass the ball just okay even, then i would expect them to compete for the division.

But i fully expect the Packers to be nearly as good as hey were last year. I mean cmon guys, that was a pretty solid team top to bottom, and it will be again next year

Compete for the Division? Why not, the bears were supposed to run away with it last year right?

Compete for the NFC championship? Doubtful, and I'm a Vikings fan.

That said, I agree with most everything that has been said. However, I think our linebackers are good, and getting better. As far as TJ goes, he looked good in a 3 game stretch last season (granted it was against SF, DET, and the NYG) but he had qb ratings of 139, 110, and 96 it looked like he was finally starting to "get it". Then Sydney Rice goes out with Injury and he just plumeted. I think you give him 6 games (at most) to prove himseld then officially call the experiment off. Of course you cant yank him for brooks bollinger or Kelly Holcomb so we need someone that we can replace him with. Im Happy but not overwhelmed with joy with the Berrian and Williams signings. At least we didn't have to give up any draft picks.

I guess we'll see once again. :thumbsup:

It's not a personal thing, just plain logical estimate:

A few things at play here;

1)Basically, all the teams essentially split their divison. GB went 4-2, the rest went 3-3 or 2-4. - No dominance in the division.

2)Now, the marginal teams (Min, Det) will likely be marginally better, while the dominant team will be significantly hampered.

3)As much as I love Favray, Green Bay went 13-3 year BECAUSE they were lucky enough to play the AFC West. Won all 4 games.

4) That's how a team goes from 8-8 to 13-3. Previous 8-8 year? Pack went 1-3 in non-cons.

5) You may not have realized this: This year, that entire divison plays the AFC South. Arguably the hardest division in the league.

6) Last year, the NFCN went 12-4 against the AFC West. Hell, even the worst 2 teams went 3-1. Minn went 2-2.

7) Do you honestly think that the NFCN will go 12-4 against the AFCS? Probably more like 4-12.

8) That's a projected 8 less wins among the division right there.

Breaking it down:

1) If Each team splits its Division Games (like last year): _____________________ 3-3

2) If each team splits its non-Division conference games (IF they're lucky)________ 3-3

3) If each team is lucky enough to split the AFC South (not likely)_______________ 2-2

Thus leaving us with an 8-8 Mark. - Simple math.

If Green Bay loses its NonCons (very likely) and splits their DIV games: - They're right back down around 8-8.

If the Vikes improve in the division to go 4-2 (likely) and goes from 2-2 against the easiest AFC Divison to 1-3 against the hardest, - They're right back at 8-8.

:mad:

How can people say they aren't contenders in the NFC, when the NFC has absolutely no dominating teams in the entire conference... Its all a crapshoot at this stage.

How can people say they aren't contenders in the NFC, when the NFC has absolutely no dominating teams in the entire conference... Its all a crapshoot at this stage.

While you sorta have a point - what is it? half of the teams in the NFC have been to the SB in the last 10 years? :dunno: I'd think you'd have to say that the NFC East is looking to be fairly dominant at this point.

I doubt it.

I see the Packers still going 9-7 or 10-6. And with Jackson at QB I doubt the Vikes can get over .500.

It will be closer though. Obviously.

While you sorta have a point - what is it? half of the teams in the NFC have been to the SB in the last 10 years? :music_guitarred: I'd think you'd have to say that the NFC East is looking to be fairly dominant at this point.

relative dominance sure... But after watching the playoffs, doesn't it seem like it is really wide open?

We are in the honeymoon portion of the season, everyone is remarrying their favorite teams and forgetting the ineptitude they saw last season. This will be heightened come draft time when everyone overhypes the guys they drafted, project huge numbers (look at rankings now with Stewart, Mendenhall, etc.. already being overhyped.)

its wide open right now, i personally wouldn't put money on the vikes doing anything.... but they will have their chance.

its wide open right now, i personally wouldn't put money on the vikes doing anything.... but they will have their chance.

Agreed. The certainly have a shot at Division winner. - Even if that's 8-8 or 9-7. After that, you're right - If they get lucky enough to play against Homo in the playoffs, it's almost a SB lock right there.

:overhead:

contender to fall into the playoffs at 8-8 and contender to win the superbowl are diifferent, but anything can hapen.

I COULDA BEEN A CONTENDA! I COULDA BEEN SOMEBODY! Instead of Tavaris Jackson - Which is what I am!! :overhead:

thank you for your answers guys i do think the vikes could so some damage this year in the regular season but i do know they wont go vary far into the playoffs

The Vikings' "fixes" are laughable. Paper tigers.

- The new great safety is one the Packers got rid of to upgrade.

- The new savior WR wouldn't start for GB.

- The new amazing FB is nothing special.

MN still has problems at DE, QB, WR, S, #2 CB. Unless Jackson takes a major step forward, Adrian could continue to have a real tough time. McKinney might even be cut yet. And I'm afraid the rush defense suffers greatly without any DE stoppers on the edge.

Rodgers would have get hurt pretty early for the Packers not to win this division. It's a balanced team with solid play around the roster. Ted Thomson has three picks in the first 64. That means bad things for the rest of the North.