Sign in to follow this  
RLLD

DOW is down to 11,796.24

We should setup some kind of wager to see who can guess which day it falls below 11k, and then after that when it falls below 10k as well :thumbsdown: :dunno:

5% regression line from 1897 is currently at approx. 9400.

thanks fibonacci :thumbsdown:

Checking my charts again: S&P net gain of zero for 9 years now. Dow about 8% over 9 years. Nasdaq, down about 15% or so over the last 10 years. That doesn't even factor in the bullshit pump and dump to nasdaq 5000. 401k's....crushed.

cue RLLD appearance in 5...4...3..2..oh...nevermind :thumbsup:

Assssssss :D

Checking my charts again: S&P net gain of zero for 9 years now. Dow about 8% over 9 years. Nasdaq, down about 15% or so over the last 10 years. That doesn't even factor in the bullshit pump and dump to nasdaq 5000. 401k's....crushed.

give it a rest already. my 401k is just fine.

give it a rest already. my 401k is just fine.

that's because you keep putting money into it every check along with your employer's "match".

just because your 401k's balance hasn't plummeted doesn't mean it isn't leaking like a sieve.

and I blame the internets.

teh artificial stimuli and tweakings of the Fed can only do so much. In the end, the economy is affected by the spending habits of the masses; the same masses who's haids are warped by the internet's endless chatter about gas prices, unemployment, housing, Iraq, terror, etc. It's a self fulfilling prophecy; we're headed for economic doomsday and we only have the Newbie's and RLLD's of the world to blame.

that's because you keep putting money into it every check along with your employer's "match".

True, bit I gotta believe I'm buying some pretty cheap stocks at this point. :thumbsup:

.....or maybr not. :D

just because your 401k's balance hasn't plummeted doesn't mean it isn't leaking like a sieve.

and I blame the internets.

teh artificial stimuli and tweakings of the Fed can only do so much. In the end, the economy is affected by the spending habits of the masses; the same masses who's haids are warped by the internet's endless chatter about gas prices, unemployment, housing, Iraq, terror, etc. It's a self fulfilling prophecy; we're headed for economic doomsday and we only have the Newbie's and RLLD's of the world to blame.

I keep a close eye on it and its not leaking. 401k's give you choices, chose wisely.

I keep a close eye on it and its not leaking. 401k's give you choices, chose wisely.

Yes it is possible. But for everyone like you there are 1000's who just have no ability to figure out where to put the $ and are sittng on zero growth over the last 9 years. 401k's will be proven to be a farce in time. The BS that you just sock it away and retire in comfort is going to eventually make headlines. We are still years away even though there have been a handful of articles written recently. Why do you think companies moved away from traditional pension plans to a 401k? Because it costs them less. It had nothing to do with rewarding you with some sort of retirement for your work. It had everything to do with bottom line profits for the company. You are a piece of meat to them. The less they give you the better for them.

Yes it is possible. But for everyone like you there are 1000's who just have no ability to figure out where to put the $ and are sittng on zero growth over the last 9 years. 401k's will be proven to be a farce in time. The BS that you just sock it away and retire in comfort is going to eventually make headlines. We are still years away even though there have been a handful of articles written recently. Why do you think companies moved away from traditional pension plans to a 401k? Because it costs them less. It had nothing to do with rewarding you with some sort of retirement for your work. It had everything to do with bottom line profits for the company. You are a piece of meat to them. The less they give you the better for them.

What do you mean "a farce"? You have it all backwards. Companies do not "owe" you a retirement or "traditional pension plan".

401k's will be proven to be a farce in time.

i'm confused. the vehicle - putting away money pre-tax and letting it compound over time is a farce?

or are you saying you're poorly allocated?

Let it slide, RLLD - - don't be scared. I hope the DOW hits 10k or even 8/9k at that matter. Nothing wrong with heading way down for a while or even a year/two. I'm not retiring soon, so let me get some more great mutual funds and stocks at a very low price.

Let it slide, RLLD - - don't be scared. I hope the DOW hits 10k or even 8/9k at that matter. Nothing wrong with heading way down for a while or even a year/two. I'm not retiring soon, so let me get some more great mutual funds and stocks at a very low price.

Way longer than a year or two.

my IRA Roth is only down a couple grand in the last 6 months

401k's will be proven to be a farce in time.

:D not crazy talk at all.

all these 401k plans are the same "drive-thru", "give us your money", schtick.

the real benefit doesn't seem to be any of the "investment vehicles" offered by these clowns but rather the employer match/stock options/profit sharing that is added to your 401k in addition to you own contributions.

It doesn't matter what company or industry you are in, the 401k sales-bimbo is the same everywhere with her formulaic investment "strategy" based on your age and "tolerance for risk". It's crap. In the end, if the stock market is up, your 401k is up. Their whole plan is based on the notion that the stock market has ALWAYS trended upwards. *IF* by some chance that doesn't happen; *IF* the stock market doesn't rise at the same pace it has over the last 40 years, 401ks will be a scam: one that millions of people dumped billions of dollars into.

:D not crazy talk at all.

the real benefit doesn't seem to be any of the "investment vehicles" offered by these clowns but rather the employer match/stock options/profit sharing that is added to your 401k in addition to you own contributions.

It doesn't matter what company or industry you are in, the 401k sales-bimbo is the same everywhere with her formulaic investment "strategy" based on your age and "tolerance for risk". It's crap. In the end, if the stock market is up, your 401k is up. Their whole plan is based on the notion that the stock market has ALWAYS trended upwards. *IF* by some chance that doesn't happen; *IF* the stock market doesn't rise at the same pace it has over the last 40 years, 401ks will be a scam: one that millions of people dumped billions of dollars into.

That's a good point.

EVERYONE JUMP!!! AHHHHH

seriously. I just sold all my mutual funds, fock em.

:unsure: not crazy talk at all.

I agree with all that you said, especially about the dumbasses trying to give investment advice, but I believe the "farce" comment was directed at the companies providing 401k plans to their employees. At my company, we match 100% up to 5% with immediate full vesting. Basically, you double your money as soon as it is taken from your paycheck. How is that a "farce"?

I agree with all that you said, especially about the dumbasses trying to give investment advice, but I believe the "farce" comment was directed at the companies providing 401k plans to their employees. At my company, we match 100% up to 5% with immediate full vesting. Basically, you double your money as soon as it is taken from your paycheck. How is that a "farce"?

that is not a farce, it would be near impossible to lose your own investment and the companies match. However, in my IRA ROTH, it is all my money and if the market keeps tanking, I will get crushed. will the market come back? sure, but why not sell everything now and rebuy in a year, or whenever? isn't that smarter than letting it sit there? assuming it doesn't start rebounding within the next few weeks.

At my company, we match 100% up to 5% with immediate full vesting.

the match is really the best (only?) reason to be involved.

the investment strategies/angle is bullshiat.

the tax sheltered earnings is kinda' crap too: you'll pay taxes on the money eventually (i.e. when you're of age to take the money out without insane penalties).

and, if these 401ks do work the magic (like the sales bimbo would have you believe) and you have $1mil to $2mil stashed away by the time you're 65... then so too will everyone else in these 401ks... everyone now has 2 million dollars to retire on. And if everyone's got that much cash, a gallon of milk will end up being $6 bucks. So you won't be ahead by any means.

How much money does America dump into 401ks? I'd guess most people are somewhere between $200 and $500 a month? That's just a lot of focking money for something that just seems so "drive thru".

Any of you's got any good links/reading on 401ks? Why they will or won't work?

We should setup some kind of wager to see who can guess which day it falls below 11k, and then after that when it falls below 10k as well :dunno: ;)

Or when it climbs above 13,000. :unsure:

Any of you's got any good links/reading on 401ks? Why they will or won't work?

Gutterboy said so

We should setup some kind of wager to see who can guess which day it falls below 11k, and then after that when it falls below 10k as well :cheers: :pointstosky:

Oops!

Up 416 today. :mad:

Oops!

Up 416 today. :banana:

That's right,just looky at what a $200 billion infusion from the Fed can do.....hmmmmmm, I wonder what happens next week, and the week after and the next month as those resets start to ravage the market and then the economy.

Your sole purpose in life may be only to serve as a warning to others, because checking the thermostat has been demonstrated to not be terribly bright.

So, you can either assess the underlying market fundamentals and understand that a single infusion wont go very far, or just keep looking at the last few minutes and declare all is well.

I wonder, if things are so rosy, why the need to throw $200 billion to halt the bloodbath at all? Hmmmmmm..... :banana:

That's right,just looky at what a $200 billion infusion from the Fed can do.....hmmmmmm, I wonder what happens next week, and the week after and the next month as those resets start to ravage the market and then the economy.

Your sole purpose in life may be only to serve as a warning to others, because checking the thermostat has been demonstrated to not be terribly bright.

So, you can either assess the underlying market fundamentals and understand that a single infusion wont go very far, or just keep looking at the last few minutes and declare all is well.

I wonder, if things are so rosy, why the need to throw $200 billion to halt the bloodbath at all? Hmmmmmm..... :banana:

My jaw dropped when I saw why stocks were up today. It just looks like an act of desperation by the Fed

We should setup some kind of wager to see who can guess which day it falls below 11k, and then after that when it falls below 10k as well :banana: :banana:

April 29th for 11k. What did I win?

My jaw dropped when I saw why stocks were up today. It just looks like an act of desperation by the Fed

It was, they had tp step in and stop what was becoming madness in the market....

It will hold things over for about a week, perhaps even two, but it is nothing compared to what will be needed come May, June and July... :thumbsdown:

the tax sheltered earnings is kinda' crap too: you'll pay taxes on the money eventually (i.e. when you're of age to take the money out without insane penalties).

do you think you'll be in a higher or lower tax bracket once you're fully retired and not working?

and, if these 401ks do work the magic (like the sales bimbo would have you believe) and you have $1mil to $2mil stashed away by the time you're 65... then so too will everyone else in these 401ks... everyone now has 2 million dollars to retire on. And if everyone's got that much cash, a gallon of milk will end up being $6 bucks. So you won't be ahead by any means.

it's called inflation. are you suggesting that people shouldn't put any money away? i'd rather have 1 million bucks and be able to afford some milk than have nothing. do you think social security and pensions will be there for the upcoming generations?

How much money does America dump into 401ks? I'd guess most people are somewhere between $200 and $500 a month? That's just a lot of focking money for something that just seems so "drive thru".

what is your suggestion or better alternative?

We should setup some kind of wager to see who can guess which day it falls below 11k, and then after that when it falls below 10k as well :rolleyes: :o

with the market plunging..i cant afford a wager..unless its for govt cheese :thumbsup:

i just put in every month to sharebuilder...google and markel(mkl)...im happy with these 2..though i should scoop up one of the oldie but goodies that has a nice dividend...

did people give up on sirius? i see that stock is always one of the most traded but always sits at the level of the wwe...

It was, they had tp step in and stop what was becoming madness in the market....

It will hold things over for about a week, perhaps even two, but it is nothing compared to what will be needed come May, June and July... :mad:

The stimulus checks will boost the economy for a 2-4 month span no doubt. Call is fake if you wan't. But non the less, millions of dollars will be poring into the economy whether its delivery pizza order increase to walmart basic needs. I think you should change the dates to August, Sept, Oct building up for the big vote.