Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

FFT Homer Mock Draft Commentary...

He may be a 1st rounder but is he head and shoulders above Flacco, Henne, or Brohm? Do the Falcons want to make their stand right here and right now by picking him 3rd overall? Chris Redmond did a solid job for Atlanta last year and they resigned him on the cheap for 2 years. Sure, he's a stopgap but it buys Atlanta time. If Ryan is picked 3rd overall in this draft, the pressure is squarely on him to be the savior of this franchise. Is he a can't miss QB prospect that will be able to handle that pressure. I say no.

Good point. What sort of QB's are going to be there next year either in FA or via draft?

I figure that they are going to be in a similar position next year and there is no way that they can survive on Harrington and Redman back there. Maybe they should look at Rosenfels :unsure:

He may be a 1st rounder but is he head and shoulders above Flacco, Henne, or Brohm? Do the Falcons want to make their stand right here and right now by picking him 3rd overall? Chris Redmond did a solid job for Atlanta last year and they resigned him on the cheap for 2 years. Sure, he's a stopgap but it buys Atlanta time. If Ryan is picked 3rd overall in this draft, the pressure is squarely on him to be the savior of this franchise. Is he a can't miss QB prospect that will be able to handle that pressure. I say no.

I'm not thrillled with Ryan as a prospect, but I'm not thrilled with Dorsey either. The pick could have went either way. It will depend on what Atl thinks about Ryan. If they do believe he is much better than Flacco, Brohm, and Henne, then they will take him. If not I would think they would do what you said. Take Dorsey, and then in the 2nd round take their QB.

Is everyone with me when I say the trend for the DTs is big men who can dominate the line? Agree that basically all of the best DTs are huge guys.

At 6'1/2 297lbs, Dorsey isn't even average size, he is undersized.

Am I coorect?

Went to nfldraftcountdown.com to look at Dorsey and he was right on the front page, next to his Picture it said

"Sure fire top 5 pick"?

Anyway here is the link to his scounting report. He measured at the combine even smaller than what I thought. 6'1/2 297lbs.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...lenndorsey.html

Notice the last couple lines in Dorsey's bio..."One of the best DT prospects to enter the NFL in recent years...should be a mortal top 5 lock".

Meanwhile, here's Ryan's bio on the same website.

Matt Ryan Bio

Notice the last couple lines in Ryan's bio..."A safe pick who should become a solid starter at the next level but probably isn't a frachise signal caller".

Notice the last couple lines in Dorsey's bio..."One of the best DT prospects to enter the NFL in recent years...should be a mortal top 5 lock".

Meanwhile, here's Ryan's bio on the same website.

Matt Ryan Bio

Notice the last couple lines in Ryan's bio..."A safe pick who should become a solid starter at the next level but probably isn't a frachise signal caller".

I wasn't bringing up Dosey's scounting report from this site to bash him, because it actually praises him. I went to determine his size.

And gave the link to add to the discussion.

We'll know more about Dorsey tomorrow after his pro-day.

He's been solid and productive against the best talent in College football. He's known for taking on double teams and freeing up his LB's, plus not being easily moved. He can be bulked up by NFL teams if he's going to play in a 3-4. If Atlanta is sticking with a 4-3, his "fatness" is not an issue.

Oakland was 6th in rushing so I don't see where McFadden is the right choice. They were 31st in passing, so I would think that this might be the place they need to work on. I would have taken Clady to take away some pressure off of JaMarcus and help his development....because Robert Gallery isn't that great.

Oakland was 6th in rushing so I don't see where McFadden is the right choice. They were 31st in passing, so I would think that this might be the place they need to work on. I would have taken Clady to take away some pressure off of JaMarcus and help his development....because Robert Gallery isn't that great.

Are you trying to say Al is old and doesn't know what he is doing. :unsure:

Didn't they move Gallery inside to guard last year?

Is the consensus here that Ryan Clady is deserving of a top 5 pick?

Gholston might be right up Al's alley too here.

Ellis would definitely make senss imo.

Didn't they move Gallery inside to guard last year?

They should move him to Concession Stand.

He's been solid and productive against the best talent in College football. He's known for taking on double teams and freeing up his LB's, plus not being easily moved. He can be bulked up by NFL teams if he's going to play in a 3-4. If Atlanta is sticking with a 4-3, his "fatness" is not an issue.

He can't play in a 3-4. No way he bulks up to a NT. I'm not saying he can't play in a 4-3. But I am saying the best DTs in the game come from a 4-3, and they are all 6'5 325lbs. No one will ask him to put on 25lbs that is a lot. And he certainly can't grow 3 inches. Of course its not an issue, there are DTs who play at his size, they just aren't the great ones.

All I am saying is I simply matched him up with the best Pro DTs. And I found most of the great ones are much bigger than him. Not saying undersizes guys are automatically failures. But in my eyes he won't be a dominate DT in the NFL.

Is the consensus here that Ryan Clady is deserving of a top 5 pick?

Gholston might be right up Al's alley too here.

Ellis would definitely make senss imo.

All reports I have heard have Clady moving up teh board. He went from a 10-15 pick. To possibly 5th with the Chiefs. He needs to get stronger, but he has all of the footwork and quickness a LT needs against the speed rushers today.

Don't get too hung up with his pro-day. Scouts throw much of it out. Well the 40 times anyway.

I think Manningham or Hart went from a 4.5 to a 4.38 or something. The pro-day times are so inflated. Every year its really annoying.

One, he'll sell tickets. Two, despite having a good rushing attack last year, you can't pass on someone with this much potential (see Minnesota last year). And three, Al Davis is the kind of owner that doesn't make perfect sense with his picks.

One, he'll sell tickets. Two, despite having a good rushing attack last year, you can't pass on someone with this much potential (see Minnesota last year). And three, Al Davis is the kind of owner that doesn't make perfect sense with his picks.

Selling tickets is almost moot in this day and age, no owner is losing money or needs a big draw. Houston passed on a guy with huge potential a few years ago and it worked for them. I totally agree about Al Davis, I was just saying what I would do in their situation. You don't give a huge contract to a QB and not protect him, it usually doesn't workout. (Again with Houston, this time with D. Carr)

Selling tickets is almost moot in this day and age, no owner is losing money or needs a big draw. Houston passed on a guy with huge potential a few years ago and it worked for them. I totally agree about Al Davis, I was just saying what I would do in their situation. You don't give a huge contract to a QB and not protect him, it usually doesn't workout. (Again with Houston, this time with D. Carr)

This writer seems to disagree.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr..._screen/?page=4

Over the last few weeks, NFL Films eliminated 21 jobs, the Broncos handed out pink slips to eight employees, and the Sports Business Journal reported that the NFL is $9 billion in debt. Think there are a few things to talk about at next week's owners meetings in Palm Beach?

Then why do they handout $70 million to Deangelo Hall? Why is the salary cap at over $100M and noone is complaining about it? The NFL revenue sharing is the best in the business and a story on Boston.com/sports (That I couldn't find via that link) isn't going to say anything to disprove this. If the NFL was losing 9 Billion, every news site would report it and the purse strings would close. And that's not happening.

Uh-oh, the KC Chiefs chose the undersized Sedrick Ellis instead of Clady.....CMH has some explaining to do in this thread! :unsure:

Then why do they handout $70 million to Deangelo Hall? Why is the salary cap at over $100M and noone is complaining about it? The NFL revenue sharing is the best in the business and a story on Boston.com/sports (That I couldn't find via that link) isn't going to say anything to disprove this. If the NFL was losing 9 Billion, every news site would report it and the purse strings would close. And that's not happening.

Not sure where you have been, but there is likely to be a situation where the owners opt out of the current CBA before November, which will force the sides back to the table in the next two years (or sooner). Some owners are not real happy with the current revenue situation.

Forget the cap and how much Al is throwing around. He could not give a rat's ass because he will be dead soon.

The Chiefs offense appears to be in shambles, but you can't miss with a top 5 pick. I don't like any of the OL, QBs, or any other offensive players enough to pass on a guy like Ellis.

The Chiefs D still lacks a presence up the gut that can takeon blockers and free up LBers. Also need some pass rush help up the gut, hopefully Ellis can provide that presence.

Still a lot of holes to fill, but you're not going to get it done in 1 offseason. Time to start taking the best players you feel are on the board, and addressing other needs either by later picks, free agency, or players already on the roster.

All reports I have heard have Clady moving up teh board. He went from a 10-15 pick. To possibly 5th with the Chiefs. He needs to get stronger, but he has all of the footwork and quickness a LT needs against the speed rushers today.

He's moved up based on what?

Don't get too hung up with his pro-day. Scouts throw much of it out. Well the 40 times anyway.

I think Manningham or Hart went from a 4.5 to a 4.38 or something. The pro-day times are so inflated. Every year its really annoying.

Fine with me. Let's throw out Dorsey's pro day and measurables and look at his production in college.

Uh-oh, the KC Chiefs chose the undersized Sedrick Ellis instead of Clady.....CMH has some explaining to do in this thread! :unsure:

a trade down 4 or 5 slots and then picking Clady might not be a bad option. If not, then we're looking at a guy like Carl Nicks, Anthony Collins, or Sam Baker in rd 2.

a trade down 4 or 5 slots and then picking Clady might not be a bad option. If not, then we're looking at a guy like Carl Nicks, Anthony Collins, or Sam Baker in rd 2.

How many willing partners will you get for that? Cincy maybe if they want Sedrick. Not that easy to get a team to make the financial commitment to move up to top 5 money while giving up draft picks. I don't know if there's a guy at KC's pick in this draft that's such a slam dunk that a team will make that commitment. Maybe Gholston.

How many willing partners will you get for that? Cincy maybe if they want Sedrick. Not that easy to get a team to make the financial commitment to move up to top 5 money while giving up draft picks. I don't know if there's a guy at KC's pick in this draft that's such a slam dunk that a team will make that commitment. Maybe Gholston.

Got to agree with you on that one. I don't see a lot of teams trading with the top 7-8 teams. Too much dough on players with questions.

The other thing that concerns me about taking a guy like Clady, is that while he does seem to be the No. 2 tackle on the board, the only reason he seems to be going as high as 5 is that people see a need for the Chiefs at the position.

I don't give a rat's ass about team needs when you are picking at 5 overall. You have many a holes to fill when picking at No. 5, don't reach for a guy just because he fills your weakest link on your team, that isn't going to get it done. Take the absolute highest player you have rated leftover in the draft. Well unless of course that player is a guy like McFadden and you are absolutely set at the position of RB and the position he fills isn't a guy that's really going to help make this team thta much better.

For the Chiefs, we have issues at OT, C, OG, WR, FB, QB, DT, CB, CB, PK, and maybe S. Probably S.

This isn't a time the Chiefs can reach for a guy because he fills one of those needs. From what I've seen, I think most rate Ellis as a better player than Clady for the long haul, and for that reason I went his direction. There's still a ways to go for this club overall, I'm not of the opinion taking Ryan Clady is going to be your overnight fix-all

:unsure:

which is why we'll likely have to make the pick, and why I feel more comfortable taking Ellis than Clady, he seems to rate closer to that pick than a guy like Clady. Gholston might be the pick for us, were it not for Jared Allen and Tamba Hali.

The other thing that concerns me about taking a guy like Clady, is that while he does seem to be the No. 2 tackle on the board, the only reason he seems to be going as high as 5 is that people see a need for the Chiefs at the position.

I don't give a rat's ass about team needs when you are picking at 5 overall. You have many a holes to fill when picking at No. 5, don't reach for a guy just because he fills your weakest link on your team, that isn't going to get it done. Take the absolute highest player you have rated leftover in the draft. Well unless of course that player is a guy like McFadden and you are absolutely set at the position of RB and the position he fills isn't a guy that's really going to help make this team thta much better.

For the Chiefs, we have issues at OT, C, OG, WR, FB, QB, DT, CB, CB, PK, and maybe S. Probably S.

This isn't a time the Chiefs can reach for a guy because he fills one of those needs. From what I've seen, I think most rate Ellis as a better player than Clady for the long haul, and for that reason I went his direction. There's still a ways to go for this club overall, I'm not of the opinion taking Ryan Clady is going to be your overnight fix-all

:shocking:

No posts this summer about the Chefs being the team to beat in the West? :unsure:

No posts this summer about the Chefs being the team to beat in the West? :shocking:

herm was rumored to tell someone down in az during super bowl week we were two years away. Give me a year :unsure:

also, I've always been labeled as a apologist to what the Chiefs are doing, and I do exude (is that a word?) the utmost optimism for my teams. But when they have issues, I tend to believe I'd be the first to point out those weaknesses :lol:

herm was rumored to tell someone down in az during super bowl week we were two years away. Give me a year :unsure:

Pretty much...two years away.

From being shitcanned. :shocking:

:dunno:

You are preaching to the choir my friend. When there's that kind of cash being paid to these guys, you'd better have the guy most worthy of it. Top 5 isn't the best time to stick to filling needs.

FWIW - Ryan Clady had by far the worst Wonderlic score out of any of the potential 1st round OL with a 13.

You are preaching to the choir my friend. When there's that kind of cash being paid to these guys, you'd better have the guy most worthy of it. Top 5 isn't the best time to stick to filling needs.

FWIW - Ryan Clady had by far the worst Wonderlic score out of any of the potential 1st round OL with a 13.

If anything, the Chiefs seem to be doing fairly well lately with their draft selections. Dwayne Bowe last year surprised some people, but look what he's done. Jared Allen and Tamba Hali have panned out nicely. Derrick Johnson hasn;t been everything everyone expected, but the rumor is that Gun will coach LBs as well as being DC next year, and he's had some success with the likes of DT and Bullock, so they hope that will help him take his game to the next level.

So if anything, I'm optimistic about the Chiefs chances in the draft this year. A top 5 pick, 2nd round pick that equates out to about a 1st rounder, and ocerall I believe 11 picks overall. I do have good feelings moving forward.

Also kutulu in response to your post, someone mentioned somewhere the Chiefs would take Ryan or Brohm, just so Herm could save his own ass as the Chiefs would have to give him a couple years to see what they had in their franchise QB draft pick :dunno:

He's moved up based on what?

Scouts likeing him more and more?? I dont know. Kiper was just on ESPN the other day and said this. (I hate Kiper).

He said his board moves around day to day.

If you don't think people change there minds about players all through the offseason then you don't watch much of the coverage.

To answer your question I don't know. All I know is he was a 10-15 pick, now everything I see is 5-10. :dunno:

Uh-oh, the KC Chiefs chose the undersized Sedrick Ellis instead of Clady.....CMH has some explaining to do in this thread! :mad:

:lol: :dunno:

You need to settle down. Or get some thicker skin. This is the commentary to the picks. No one has bashed your pick. In reality it will most likely happen. But this is the place where we all talk about the draft and what we think.

I apologize for having an opinion and giving logical reasons why. Please don't pout or cry when someone disagrees with you, or wants to have a conversation about a specific pick. We don't need the :cry: hear. I never attacked you or your pick.

Not everyone has to like certain players.

Ok?

Scouts likeing him more and more?? I dont know. Kiper was just on ESPN the other day and said this. (I hate Kiper).

If you don't think people change there minds about players all through the offseason then you don't watch much of the coverage.

To answer your question I don't know. All I know is he was a 10-15 pick, now everything I see is 5-10. :dunno:

i just wonder if he isn't moving up because they think the Chiefs will take him to fill their need at LT :cry:

I know players fluctuate all over the place with the draft geeks pre-draft but do they at all with scouts? From what I've heard, the most important part of the combines for teams are the interviews and medical histories of the players. The other stuff means little. They watch film to decide what kind of football player they're getting.

Mel and all the others are throwing darts. Most have never scouted in their lives and really have little clue at all. How often do the mocks resemble the real draft?

i just wonder if he isn't moving up because they think the Chiefs will take him to fill their need at LT :dunno:

Most likely. A lot of the "expert" look to need to predict where a player will go. It all comes down to whether or not a team likes a player or not. Not every team is going to have the same big board. Since these "expert" don't know exactly how each team likes certain players, they have to guess.

I am a need guy. But I agree in the top 5 need goes out the window for 2 reasons. First if a team is picking top 5 or top 10 they have more than 1 or 2 needs. And it sucks when a top 5 pick busts.

:mad: :dunno:

You need to settle down. Or get some thicker skin. This is the commentary to the picks. No one has bashed your pick. In reality it will most likely happen. But this is the place where we all talk about the draft and what we think.

I apologize for having an opinion and giving logical reasons why. Please don't pout or cry when someone disagrees with you, or wants to have a conversation about a specific pick. We don't need the :cry: hear. I never attacked you or your pick.

Not everyone has to like certain players.

Ok?

Why do you feel the need to apologize? I was just playing along. I'm giving and taking here. Apparently you don't get my humor.

I like the debate.

I know players fluctuate all over the place with the draft geeks pre-draft but do they at all with scouts? From what I've heard, the most important part of the combines for teams are the interviews and medical histories of the players. The other stuff means little. They watch film to decide what kind of football player they're getting.

Mel and all the others are throwing darts. Most have never scouted in their lives and really have little clue at all. How often do the mocks resemble the real draft?

Thats why mocks are so hard. The experts are about as right as us.

I think a lot of teams put a lot into need though. If they like Clady enough they would take him even if they thought it was a bit of a reach.

Example: Bills took Donte Witner at 8 or 9 a couple years ago. He was projected to be a 20-25 pick. But they liked him a lot and just took him. I was questioning it because they could have traded down. But later they said they couldnt find a partner. Some teams like certain players more than others. Sometimes you have to throw out need, but also sometimes you need to throw out value and just take the guy you like the most.