Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

FFT Homer Mock Draft Commentary...

Kutulu. I think we should draft this biotch through at least 4 rounds.

We can at least do something through 4 rounds, but it generally loses some steam. Lettuce get through 2 rounds before we start thinking four. Maybe this year it will have some legs :overhead: ...started pretty slow but has picked up pretty good today. :angry:

We can at least do something through 4 rounds, but it generally loses some steam. Lettuce get through 2 rounds before we start thinking four. Maybe this year it will have some legs :banana: ...started pretty slow but has picked up pretty good today. :angry:

Kutulu - I can make the pick this until about 11:00 pm cst tonight. This weekend is my busiest of the year. Running a huge junior Southern tennis tournament at my facility. If not tonight, I'll do my best to get a pick before noon saturday. Oh, I've done the research and video highlights - - I'm pumped baby :overhead:

So who should have taken Jenkins that didn't then?

that's a fair question. I just happen to believe that Jenkins has top 10 talent. It doesn't mean he will go in the top 10. But he should based on talent. Buffalo sure has lost several DB's. He would have been a good fit there. NO and NE could have gone with him.

23. Steelers take Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College...

Whole world knows our need is offensive line first and foremost. He's a bit raw but apparently has some talent and likes contact. Personally I was really hoping Otah would fall or even Williams.

ed_jones,

I love the Talib pick! He's a talent, a playmaker. :overhead:

yeah, b@stard stole my DB...

ed_jones,

I love the Talib pick! He's a talent, a playmaker. :headbanger:

Thanks. I really like Talib too and feel like he could be a long term answer for us.Now we just have to see what falls to us at pick 28 :doublethumbsup:

1.25 Seattle Seahawks select

Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson

This draft has been miserable for the Seahawks. I can't get the PM function to work, can't get in touch with the rest of the war room, so I am all alone on an island with this pick. There was nothing left at this point in the draft that would have fit a need other than making a big reach for a player. And I'm not going to do that. I was hoping for some O-line help, but that didn't happen. I didn't like the DTs here, as we could get one in the 2nd round. RB was tempting, but after spending all that money on players like Julius Jones and TJ Duckett, I couldn't justify taking a RB because I didn't think Ruskell would.

Phillip Merling slid down in the first round only because of a sports hernia injury and hasn't been able to work out. He is a top 15 talent. The injury doesn't worry me obviously. Merling is 6-5, 272 and very adept at pass rush and run stuffing. Even though the Seahawks got a bunch of sacks last year, a lot of the pressure came from the LBs, not really from the DE. When in doubt over a pick, I like to play it safe and make a D-line pick. You can never have too many of them.

He's a good kid. I'm not sure about Seattle using a first day pick on a DE though.

We have Kerney and Tapp as our starters. Still have Babin as a backup. Also I think the staff will want to see what Adkins does this year. They raved about him last year before he got hurt.

I think positions like DE and QB are something that won't be addressed until the team is totally Mora's. We'll see.

He's a good kid. I'm not sure about Seattle using a first day pick on a DE though.

We have Kerney and Tapp as our starters. Still have Babin as a backup. Also I think the staff will want to see what Adkins does this year. They raved about him last year before he got hurt.

I think positions like DE and QB are something that won't be addressed until the team is totally Mora's. We'll see.

He would be starting over Tapp by the end of the upcoming season. I really agree about trading out of this spot.

In the other thread, you mentioned TE, but I don't see a TE worthy of a 1st round pick this year, maybe not even 2nd round worthy as the group looks weak this year, and rookie TEs very, very infrequently make any kind of impact in their first year; just too much to learn in blocking schemes. DT was a thought, but I didn't have one on the board better than 35. I didn't want to reach. I like Stewart as he slid down, and I've been second guessing the pick since I made it. I had Merling going much higher. I looked over about 20 mock drafts this morning, and I never once saw Merling going past Washington at 1.21. A lot of mocks had him going to Buffalo about 10 picks earlier. I took a guy that shouldn't have slid down so far. It was tempting, and I bit.

When Mora was with Atlanta, he put a lot of emphasis on sacks. His defense was very good at rushing the passer, especially from the defensive line. I suspect he will want to build something similar in Seattle. Then again, he put a lot of emphasis on running the ball too. Sigh.

Bump the other thread, or start another one for our next pick. I'll want to talk over the next one.

Waiting for the Dallas to pick at #22..... and only 1 QB is off the board.

With B. Brohm still on the board and no one needing a QB until MAYBE SF (29) or GB (30). Does anyone think that a team like MIA, ATL, CHI, DET, CAR, or TB trade up to the get him?

Or, do you think they will wait to take either Brohm (if he slides), Henne or Flacco?

I think Brohm is a 2nd round guy (early 2nd).

He could jump up to the end of the 1st if a team panics and trades up into the bottom first.

If a team like Car. or TB wab=nt Brohm ba dthey will have to trade up.

ed_jones,

I love the Talib pick! He's a talent, a playmaker. :rolleyes:

He definatly has talent.

I think he is a boom or bust guy. He has all the tools, but he was beaten quite a few times by lesser players in collage.

I think if he can focus and work to be real good he can be.

1.25 Seattle Seahawks select

Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson

This draft has been miserable for the Seahawks. I can't get the PM function to work, can't get in touch with the rest of the war room, so I am all alone on an island with this pick. There was nothing left at this point in the draft that would have fit a need other than making a big reach for a player. And I'm not going to do that. I was hoping for some O-line help, but that didn't happen. I didn't like the DTs here, as we could get one in the 2nd round. RB was tempting, but after spending all that money on players like Julius Jones and TJ Duckett, I couldn't justify taking a RB because I didn't think Ruskell would.

Phillip Merling slid down in the first round only because of a sports hernia injury and hasn't been able to work out. He is a top 15 talent. The injury doesn't worry me obviously. Merling is 6-5, 272 and very adept at pass rush and run stuffing. Even though the Seahawks got a bunch of sacks last year, a lot of the pressure came from the LBs, not really from the DE. When in doubt over a pick, I like to play it safe and make a D-line pick. You can never have too many of them.

I think it was a good pick. Basically BPA.

In the other thread, you mentioned TE, but I don't see a TE worthy of a 1st round pick this year, maybe not even 2nd round worthy as the group looks weak this year, and rookie TEs very, very infrequently make any kind of impact in their first year; just too much to learn in blocking schemes.

Yea I see the Keller kid going to Seattle in a lot of mocks. Basically just because of his great combine.

It would be a reach. Not much left for Seattle here.

Who would you hope that falls a bit?

Yea I see the Keller kid going to Seattle in a lot of mocks. Basically just because of his great combine.

It would be a reach. Not much left for Seattle here.

Who would you hope that falls a bit?

In general, I just think it's a bad value spot for Seattle. The players that are falling typically aren't guys that fill needs. I hope they move up or down. I'm a big believer in Best Player Available, so I always keep an open mind going into draft day. The Seattle GM Ruskell apparently doesn't feel the same way, as he had made some real reaches with his first day picks that have sent me into a long angry drinking binge as I bash him over and over again. And it turns out that he has made some good reaches like the Tatupu pick, and some horrible ones that I try to erase from my memory.

The Keller pick is trendy, but mock drafts sometimes put too much emphasis on need picks. The real NFL draft just doesn't work like that.

I'm just hoping that if Seattle doesn't trade out, they end up with a value pick. I'm OK with going in any direction. We drafted Shaun Alexander while Ricky Watters was our starter. Smart. We drafted Jerramy Stevens because we needed a TE. Reach. Stupid.

In general, I just think it's a bad value spot for Seattle. The players that are falling typically aren't guys that fill needs. I hope they move up or down. I'm a big believer in Best Player Available, so I always keep an open mind going into draft day. The Seattle GM Ruskell apparently doesn't feel the same way, as he had made some real reaches with his first day picks that have sent me into a long angry drinking binge as I bash him over and over again. And it turns out that he has made some good reaches like the Tatupu pick, and some horrible ones that I try to erase from my memory.

The Keller pick is trendy, but mock drafts sometimes put too much emphasis on need picks. The real NFL draft just doesn't work like that.

I'm just hoping that if Seattle doesn't trade out, they end up with a value pick. I'm OK with going in any direction. We drafted Shaun Alexander while Ricky Watters was our starter. Smart. We drafted Jerramy Stevens because we needed a TE. Reach. Stupid.

Urban Legend :doublethumbsup:

Damn it, Mick! I was afraid of Groves going to Jax. This is the worst possible situation for me.

The Chargers take K. Balmer DT.

J. Williams and L. Castillo have both had injury problems over the last 2 seasons and J. Williams just can't keep his weight down, so I think they need quality depth at D-line.

The Chargers don't have any pressing needs. I think they have all their starters.

I thought about a RT as well, but Clary played well for them last year. The other position I thought about was CB, but I don't know if they will spend a 1st round pick on a nickel CB. LT is at the top of his game and has at least two real good years left in him, so I can't see them drafting his back-up here.

With no real pressing needs and few picks in the draft I think the Chargers will trade out of the first round for more picks.

A surprise move would be that they draft a WR here. They don't have any big name recievers, but they are pretty happy with them.

Damn it, Mick! I was afraid of Groves going to Jax. This is the worst possible situation for me.

Yep. Balmer is gone too...it's our pick so I'll throw out what the fanbase will probably say...

James Hardy. I'm not a fan of a WR in the first, but there aren't really many options left at need positions.

Antoine Cason (CB), Sam Baker (OT), or Calais Campbell (DE) are the three choices we'll probably go with if we wind up like this on Draft Day...aside from trading back.

I'd much rather have the kid from Indiana than Malcolm Kelly. And he could be had in the second round.

This is a reach, IMO. Why? They're fully vested in Reggie Brown. I don't think they're willing to invest in a first round receiver unless he's a slam dunk, can't miss prospect. And Kelly is not a slam dunk, not by any means.

I'll leave it at that, Ritchie Cunningham. :P

I realize the Eagles have a history of not going after WRs in the first round recently, but with the OL prospects going off the board fast as well as the CB I went with Kelly.

I like Hardy, he's a good guy, but I think he's even more of a reach. But I'd be glad to see him go early just cuz he's a Big10 guy too.

GofMM99, just curious as to who you would have picked in the mock. And I don't get the Cunningham shot, if that was meant to be a shot. Ron Howard? Cowboys Kicker?

If this is the scenario in the real draft, we better be looking for someone to trade down with. Baker might be a bit of a reach here, but at least he's at a position of need. He can come in and compete with Jennings at RT, or he could move back to his natural spot at LT if Staley doesn't pan out. I actually thought about Dan Connor a bit, but wasn't sure if he was a good fit for the 3-4. If we take a WR in the first round, they should be able to stand out from our current corps, and i don't think any left on the board would.

If this is the scenario in the real draft, we better be looking for someone to trade down with. Baker might be a bit of a reach here, but at least he's at a position of need. He can come in and compete with Jennings at RT, or he could move back to his natural spot at LT if Staley doesn't pan out. I actually thought about Dan Connor a bit, but wasn't sure if he was a good fit for the 3-4. If we take a WR in the first round, they should be able to stand out from our current corps, and i don't think any left on the board would.

That got a chuckle out of me. Staley will anchor the blind side for over a decade. I think Baker would do better at RT in the NFL. Staley has more of the agility and freakish speed to handle the LT position. Jonas Jennings would be the starter at the beginning of the season, but it wont be too long before he goes down to injury...again. The time spent learning that position as a backup should be very beneficial to Baker's development, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's called to start before seasons end.

Yeah, I guess I was just trying to point out as many of the positives I could on Baker. It wasn't a shot at Staley, and I hope you're right that he'll be there for that long.

Pick will be coming soon guys. Just wanted to bounce some ideas off Jarvis before I do anything here. :headbanger:

Dang! Looks like we might get through the first round this weekend...not bad...not bad at all. :headbanger:

Dallas taking Felix Jones has been in a few mock drafts. I really believe they are going to take a safety or cornerback in round 1. Marion Barber III is the man in Dallas and they can get a back in rounds 2/3. Not that Felix would be a bad pickup for any team though, I think he will be a stud.

Dallas taking Felix Jones has been in a few mock drafts. I really believe they are going to take a safety or cornerback in round 1. Marion Barber III is the man in Dallas and they can get a back in rounds 2/3. Not that Felix would be a bad pickup for any team though, I think he will be a stud.

I agree with this, Jones may be a good player but Dallas simply doesnt need a RB in the first round IMO. I could see them adding someone in the 3rd or 4th round as a depth guy, but MB3 is good enough to be the man even with his ridiculous running style.

22 Dallas, Aqib Talib, CB (Kansas)

That doesn't qualify as a Safety or Corner in the first round? In addition, I think Felix would be a great fit. Sure there are higher needs, but the two back system is lethal nowadays...

That doesn't qualify as a Safety or Corner in the first round? In addition, I think Felix would be a great fit. Sure there are higher needs, but the two back system is lethal nowadays...

Your totally correct and I forgot this was the second pick of round #1. The Felix Jones pick makes a ton more sense.

Your totally correct and I forgot this was the second pick of round #1. The Felix Jones pick makes a ton more sense.

haha got me too

I was really hoping to bring in one of the top WR's with the 2nd pick but did'nt see anyone I thought was worth grabbing there.If things feel like this in the real draft Big D might be best served to trade down, still get a good rb and another early pick.

For the purposes of this draft though I feel like if they cant trade down, Felix Jones is the pick. J.Jones has'nt made a habit of going for Razorbacks in the past but the chance to get one here is too good for him to pass up.

Pick will be coming soon guys. Just wanted to bounce some ideas off Jarvis before I do anything here. :lol:

:banana: I'm drinking and drafting so if the picks don't come in soon...I may not be responsible for what happens or doesn't happen when my pick comes up.

Just sayin' :banana:

I went ahead and picked just to keep things moving because I'm not going to be around for a while.

As for the pick, I have a strong feeling that Thompson will go CB in round 1. Woodson and Harris are an amazing duo, but are both over 32 with no one coming up behind them. Cason would come in and be the nickel back right away and eventually take over for one of the two stars. I was kind of dissapointed to see so many CBs off the board, but at the same time Cason still looks like last first round value and at 6' can match up with some of the bigger guys in the league hopefully.

I went ahead and picked just to keep things moving because I'm not going to be around for a while.

As for the pick, I have a strong feeling that Thompson will go CB in round 1. Woodson and Harris are an amazing duo, but are both over 32 with no one coming up behind them. Cason would come in and be the nickel back right away and eventually take over for one of the two stars. I was kind of dissapointed to see so many QBs off the board, but at the same time Cason still looks like last first round value and at 6' can match up with some of the bigger guys in the league hopefully.

:wub:

After watching some video of the top Running Backs and Wide Receivers in this draft, I like Chris Johnson in the late first round (pick #28 for the Cowboys). At #22 I hope they can get either CB Dominique Rogers-Comartie, or CB Aquib Talib, or WR Devin Thomas or WR Malcolm Kelly.

Felix Jones reminds me of Julius Jones. He might have better vision than Julius Jones (I haven't seen enough video of Felix Jones to know yet. And he returns kicks.

Chris Johnson shows great burst, speed, balance, and elusiveness, and he returns kicks too.