Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

FFT Homer Mock Draft Commentary...

After watching some video of the top Running Backs and Wide Receivers in this draft, I like Chris Johnson in the late first round (pick #28 for the Cowboys). At #22 I hope they can get either CB Dominique Rogers-Comartie, or CB Aquib Talib, or WR Devin Thomas or WR Malcolm Kelly.

Felix Jones reminds me of Julius Jones. He might have better vision than Julius Jones (I haven't seen enough video of Felix Jones to know yet. And he returns kicks.

Chris Johnson shows great burst, speed, balance, and elusiveness, and he returns kicks too.

Shhhhh!

I went ahead and picked just to keep things moving because I'm not going to be around for a while.

As for the pick, I have a strong feeling that Thompson will go CB in round 1. Woodson and Harris are an amazing duo, but are both over 32 with no one coming up behind them. Cason would come in and be the nickel back right away and eventually take over for one of the two stars. I was kind of dissapointed to see so many QBs off the board, but at the same time Cason still looks like last first round value and at 6' can match up with some of the bigger guys in the league hopefully.

Did you mean CBs? Cuz there's only one QB off the board. :headbanger:

Pick will be coming soon guys. Just wanted to bounce some ideas off Jarvis before I do anything here. :headbanger:

I'm sorry smitty, I tried to PM you earlier. Somethings wrong here and I can't send or receive PM's it seems.

Your pick was fine. I may not have gone that route with a potential stud DE and a future stud RB still on the board and knowing how TT likes BPA, but Cason may be the right choice here since it's one of the closest things to a need the Pack has.

Fellas, I know Jonathan Stewart is injured but is it really so bad that he falls out of the 1st? The guy's got all the tools to be a workhorse in the NFL. Somebody's going to get away with paying this guy 2nd round money. That's a huge value imo.

I'm sorry smitty, I tried to PM you earlier. Somethings wrong here and I can't send or receive PM's it seems.

Your pick was fine. I may not have gone that route with a potential stud DE and a future stud RB still on the board and knowing how TT likes BPA, but Cason may be the right choice here since it's one of the closest things to a need the Pack has.

Fellas, I know Jonathan Stewart is injured but is it really so bad that he falls out of the 1st? The guy's got all the tools to be a workhorse in the NFL. Somebody's going to get away with paying this guy 2nd round money. That's a huge value imo.

The problem I have with Stewart is he is a part of a loaded 2nd tier of RB's in this draft. I can also say I watched almost all the Oregon and Oregon State games the last two years. Don't know what the stats would say for sure but Yvenson Bernard was a much better RB than Stewart yet Bernard may not get drafted until the second day if at all. Bernard ran against every team that stacked the LOS to stop him.

The problem I have with Stewart is he is a part of a loaded 2nd tier of RB's in this draft. I can also say I watched almost all the Oregon and Oregon State games the last two years. Don't know what the stats would say for sure but Yvenson Bernard was a much better RB than Stewart yet Bernard may not get drafted until the second day if at all. Bernard ran against every team that stacked the LOS to stop him.

Wow. That's news to me. I was fully under the impression that he was considered top tier along with McFadden and Mendenhall. He's big and fast (4.4), and is a good receiver. I've seen Mayock break him down and he looks pretty damn good to me.

I agree, if it was'nt for the fact that i feel like JJ really wants Felix Jones I would have taken him for the Cowboys at 28. I also like C. Johnson at the pick but once again, I really think JJ is gonna finally get a rd 1 Razorback.

As an OSU alum, I obviously love Bernard. He's talented, and he was our workhorse, but even I wouldn't go as far as to say he's a much better back than Stewart. He's got tons of talent, and the measurables to be a stud RB. And as far as facing a stacked LOS, remember UO's passing attack wasn't all that great in 2006, and he still averaged over 5 ypc that year (something Bernard never did).

Career for Stewart about 2900 yards rushing 27 rushing TD's, 340 receiving yards 4 receiving TD's.

Career for Bernard about 3800 yards rushing 38 rushing TD's, 800 receiving yards 3 receiving TD's.

Stewart is rated out as a better pro because of his test times, size, etc. I am going to call it now. Yvenson Bernard will be workhorse at the NFL level and will be a steal in this draft.

I actually did consider going DE here, but in the end I felt that CB needed to be addressed more than DE because Green Bay is paper thin behind the 2 studs. I would love to get another DE in as well to limit KGB's plays. Maybe in the 2nd? Well see..

BTW - pms are disabled with this board software, when you go to a persons info click on 'send email'..

Career for Stewart about 2900 yards rushing 27 rushing TD's, 340 receiving yards 4 receiving TD's.

Career for Bernard about 3800 yards rushing 38 rushing TD's, 800 receiving yards 3 receiving TD's.

Stewart is rated out as a better pro because of his test times, size, etc. I am going to call it now. Yvenson Bernard will be workhorse at the NFL level and will be a steal in this draft.

The reason speed is highly regarded by NFL scouts is because the game is so much faster in the Pro's than it is in college. A 4.81 40 time at the combine is horrible, and I'd be surprised if the guy can become a workhorse in the NFL when most linebackers and some DL are faster than him.

BTW - pms are disabled with this board software, when you go to a persons info click on 'send email'..

I had no idea. I've never tried to PM or email anyone on this forum so that's news to me. Thanks.

Connor's a solid pick Kutulu. The guy's a straight up football junky who watches game film for fun. He's the Peyton Manning of linebackers and I think he'll be a solid leader on the Giants defense for the next 7-10 years. I would not be mad if Ted Thompson deemed Connor his BPA at 30 even though LB is not high on the needs list. The kid's a football player inside and out.

I really wanted Sam Baker for Miami in round 2. I don't believe he will go in the first round come April. So, I switched gears and took Brohm here, who I believe will be the QB of the future for Miami. He has all the skills and smarts to play the position who will make everyone forget all the the QBs who have played in Miami since Marino retired.

Stewart could easily drop to round 2. There isn't that big a need for him in the bottom half of the draft. He is a steal for the 2nd, but sometimes need outweighs talent.

Stewart could easily drop to round 2. There isn't that big a need for him in the bottom half of the draft. He is a steal for the 2nd, but sometimes need outweighs talent.

The Giants had to fight the urge to take him. If we weren't 5 deep at the RB position, he would have been wearing NY Blue. :ninja:

Connor's a solid pick Kutulu. The guy's a straight up football junky who watches game film for fun. He's the Peyton Manning of linebackers and I think he'll be a solid leader on the Giants defense for the next 7-10 years. I would not be mad if Ted Thompson deemed Connor his BPA at 30 even though LB is not high on the needs list. The kid's a football player inside and out.

We were pretty certain we were going to go Defense with our first pick. Had a crazy though that Kenny Phillips might be there at the end of the round, but he went much earlier and a few teams indicated he wouldn't have made it past them either. Read talk that they are thinking of moving McQuarters to safety. :ninja:

I really wanted Sam Baker for Miami in round 2. I don't believe he will go in the first round come April. So, I switched gears and took Brohm here, who I believe will be the QB of the future for Miami. He has all the skills and smarts to play the position who will make everyone forget all the the QBs who have played in Miami since Marino retired.

As a Dolphin fan I don't like this pick. We spent a high pick last year on Jon Beck. Why give up on him already? I think he was never truly given a chance. Give the guy a few new lineman and some more weapons and see what happens.

I don't think the current staff is going that any way.

As a Dolphin fan I don't like this pick. We spent a high pick last year on Jon Beck. Why give up on him already? I think he was never truly given a chance. Give the guy a few new lineman and some more weapons and see what happens.

I thought about it, but I don't think Beck is a "Parcells guy". I waver for a while before deciding on Brohm. I think he's the guy that can lead the Dolphins for the next 10+ years, not Beck.

Round 1 by position:

3 RB

1 S

1 QB

3 DT

5 OT

5 CB

4 WR

1 LT

1 OG

2.5 LB*

4.5 DE*

*Vernon Gholston listed as OLB/DE

Will be interested to see how these numbers compare to the real deal. :D

Not a Dolphin fan, but I agree. I don't see Parcells wasting a high pick on a QB when they have so many other holes to fill. Parcells will make sure the defence and O-line are solid before worrying about the QB position. I think he tries to solidify the other positions and sees what Beck can do this year. He knows it'll be a few years before they are contending for anything.

Not a Dolphin fan, but I agree. I don't see Parcells wasting a high pick on a QB when they have so many other holes to fill. Parcells will make sure the defence and O-line are solid before worrying about the QB position. I think he tries to solidify the other positions and sees what Beck can do this year. He knows it'll be a few years before they are contending for anything.

Beck had some big TD throws last preseason. I know they are only preseason games but it is a start. The guy has shown a little potential.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...sonbernard.html

Can't say I really followed the guy. His production is nice. But his scouting report sounds awful. Not a good blocker, not good short yardage......ran a 4.83 :shocking:

Not saying timed stuff is everything, but I don't know what you are hanging your hat on other than his production in college...

It is interesting that Bernard had more carries than Stewart in 2006 and virtually the same amount of carries in 2007. You'd think that if the college coach thought that Stewart was much better than Bernard, that Stewart would have a lot more carries than Bernard.

Here's the official draft order, with compensatory picks:

Round 1:

1 Miami

2 St. Louis

3 Atlanta

4 Oakland

5 Kansas City

6 New York Jets

7 New England

8 Baltimore

9 Cincinnati

10 New Orleans

11 Buffalo

12 Denver

13 Carolina

14 Chicago

15 Detroit

16 Arizona

17 Minnesota

18 Houston

19 Philadelphia

20 Tampa Bay

21 Washington

22 Dallas

23 Pittsburgh

24 Tennessee

25 Seattle

26 Jacksonville

27 San Diego

28 Dallas

29 San Francisco

30 Green Bay

[31] New England (Forfeited)

31 New York Giants

Round 2:

32 Miami

33 St. Louis

34 Atlanta

35 Kansas City

36 New York Jets

37 Atlanta

38 Baltimore

39 San Francisco

40 New Orleans

41 Buffalo

42 Denver

43 Carolina

44 Chicago

45 Detroit

46 Cincinnati

47 Minnesota

48 Atlanta

49 Philadelphia

50 Arizona

51 Washington

52 Tampa Bay

53 Pittsburgh

54 Tennessee

55 Seattle

56 Green Bay

57 Miami

58 Jacksonville

59 Indianapolis

60 Green Bay

61 Dallas

62 New England

63 New York Giants

Round 3:

64 Miami

65 St. Louis

66 Kansas City

67 Carolina

68 Atlanta

69 New England

70 Chicago

71 Jacksonville

72 Buffalo

73 Minnesota

74 Carolina

75 San Francisco

76 Detroit

77 Cincinnati

78 New Orleans

79 Houston

80 Philadelphia

81 Arizona

82 Minnesota

83 Tampa Bay

84 Washington

85 Tennessee

86 Seattle

87 Detroit

88 Pittsburgh

89 Jacksonville

90 Chicago

91 Green Bay

92 Dallas

93 Indianapolis

94 New England

95 New York Giants

96 Washington

97 Cincinnati

98 Atlanta

99 Baltimore

Round 4:

100 Miami

101 St. Louis

102 New York Jets

103 Atlanta

104 Oakland

105 Kansas City

106 Baltimore

107 San Francisco

108 Denver

109 Carolina

110 Chicago

111 Detroit

112 Cincinnati

113 New York Jets

114 Buffalo

115 Philadelphia

116 Arizona

117 Minnesota

118 Houston

119 Denver

120 Tampa Bay

121 Seattle

122 Cleveland

123 Pittsburgh

124 Tennessee

[125] San Diego (Exercised in Supplemental Draft)

125 Jacksonville

126 Dallas

127 Indianapolis

128 Green Bay

129 New England

130 New York Giants

131 Philadelphia

132 Buffalo

133 Baltimore

134 Tennessee

135 Green Bay

Round 5:

136 Kansas City

137 St. Louis

138 Atlanta

139 Denver

140 Kansas City

141 Carolina

[141] San Francisco (Forfeited)

[142] Baltimore (Exercised in Supplemental Draft)

142 Chicago

143 Jacksonville

144 Detroit

145 Cincinnati

146 New Orleans

147 Buffalo

148 Denver

149 Arizona

150 Minnesota

151 Houston

152 Philadelphia

153 Tampa Bay

154 Washington

155 Cleveland

156 Pittsburgh

157 Tennessee

158 Jacksonville

159 Jacksonville

160 San Diego

161 Indianapolis

162 Green Bay

163 Dallas

164 New England

165 New York Giants

166 San Diego

Round 6:

167 Dallas

168 St. Louis

169 Oakland

170 Kansas City

171 New York Jets

172 Atlanta

173 Baltimore

174 San Francisco

175 Chicago

176 Detroit

177 Cincinnati

178 New Orleans

179 Buffalo

180 St. Louis

181 Carolina

182 Minnesota

183 Denver

184 Philadelphia

185 Arizona

186 Washington

187 Kansas City

188 Pittsburgh

189 Seattle

190 Cleveland

191 Philadelphia

192 San Diego

193 Minnesota

194 New York Giants

195 Miami

196 Indianapolis

197 New England

198 New York Giants

199 New York Giants

200 Philadelphia

201 Indianapolis

202 Indianapolis

203 Philadelphia

204 Miami

205 Indianapolis

206 Baltimore

207 Cincinnati

Round 7:

208 Miami

209 Minnesota

210 Kansas City

211 New York Jets

212 Atlanta

213 Oakland

214 San Francisco

215 Baltimore

216 Detroit

217 St. Louis

218 New Orleans

219 Buffalo

220 Denver

221 Carolina

222 Chicago

223 Houston

224 Buffalo

225 Arizona

226 Oakland

227 Denver

228 Washington

229 Tennessee

230 Philadelphia

231 Cleveland

232 Atlanta

233 Seattle

234 San Diego

235 Dallas

236 Indianapolis

237 Green Bay

238 New England

239 Kansas City

240 Baltimore

241 Carolina

242 Washington

243 Chicago

244 Cincinnati

245 Miami

246 Cincinnati

247 Chicago

248 Chicago

249 Washington

250 Carolina

251 Buffalo

252 St. Louis

still haven't addressed the glaring weakness at LT, but I like the prospect of Bowe and Hardy as our starting WRs for years to come, they'll be molesting opposing corners eventually, that is of course if our stud Brodie Croyle has any time to get them the ball

:bandana:

Like that last pick of Hardy. Good size and speed. If he can keep out of trouble he might be good.

It is interesting that Bernard had more carries than Stewart in 2006 and virtually the same amount of carries in 2007. You'd think that if the college coach thought that Stewart was much better than Bernard, that Stewart would have a lot more carries than Bernard.

What? :thumbsdown:

What? :thumbsdown:

I think it is odd that Stewart (the stud that he is) doesn't have most of the carries in 2007. If Stewart was clearly the best RB on the team then shouldn't he have the majority of the carries per game?

The stats say that in 2007 Bernard played in 11 games and had 275 carries for the year (25 carries per game). Stewart played in 13 games and had 280 carries for the year (21.5 carries per game).

What am I missing? I really like Stewart, but why did he get less than half of the carries (per game)? If he is such a stud then why is it even close? If Bernard is so slow then why does Stewart have to share roughly half of this carries with him?

Could this mean that there is something wrong with Bernard's reported 4.83 40 time?

If you project Bernard's stats over a full 13 games then Stewart only gains 21 yards more per game.

I guess my point is that...maybe there is something wrong with Bernard's 40 time and that he might be undervalued.

Thoughts anyone..... (am I crazy?)

I think it is odd that Stewart (the stud that he is) doesn't have most of the carries in 2007. If Stewart was clearly the best RB on the team then shouldn't he have the majority of the carries per game?

The stats say that in 2007 Bernard played in 11 games and had 275 carries for the year (25 carries per game). Stewart played in 13 games and had 280 carries for the year (21.5 carries per game).

What am I missing? I really like Stewart, but why did he get less than half of the carries (per game)? If he is such a stud then why is it even close? If Bernard is so slow then why does Stewart have to share roughly half of this carries with him?

Could this mean that there is something wrong with Bernard's reported 4.83 40 time?

If you project Bernard's stats over a full 13 games then Stewart only gains 21 yards more per game.

I guess my point is that...maybe there is something wrong with Bernard's 40 time and that he might be undervalued.

Thoughts anyone..... (am I crazy?)

Oh, I get it. That makes perfect sense......... if Stewart and Bernard played on the same team. :cheers:

Stewart played for Oregon

Bernard played for Oregon State

HTH.

Oh, I get it. That makes perfect sense if Stewart and Bernard played on the same team. :lol:

Steward plays for Oregon

Bernard plays for Oregon State

HTH.

Thank You! :doh:

I was saying to myself, "What am I missing?"

I am crazy! :cheers:

I am telling you all,, and remember I am HS Varsity football defensive coordinator. Teams schemed to stop Yvenson Bernard and make the others on Oregon State beat them. Teams had to contend with Dennis Dixon (when he was playing) and that spread offensive scheme. Bernard not a good blocker? Don't know where that is coming from as he was a between the tackles guy. His 40 time is pathetic though which is a red flag. But still he was really productive, and at times a dominate running back. And I watched him get alot of tough yards!!!

I am telling you all,, and remember I am HS Varsity football defensive coordinator. Teams schemed to stop Yvenson Bernard and make the others on Oregon State beat them. Teams had to contend with Dennis Dixon (when he was playing) and that spread offensive scheme. Bernard not a good blocker? Don't know where that is coming from as he was a between the tackles guy. His 40 time is pathetic though which is a red flag. But still he was really productive, and at times a dominate running back. And I watched him get alot of tough yards!!!

I think that he is built to be a 3rd down back, but he has a the speed of a fullback. Tough combination.

I think that he is built to be a 3rd down back, but he has a the speed of a fullback. Tough combination.

Yea.....That is odd. At 5'8-5'9 and 200-205 lbs he should run better than 4.8. 4.55 and higher is slow for that size. Hart got ripped for running in that range.

I can't really talk serious about this guy. I know who he is, but haven't really watched him. But I agree with the Scouting Report I gave. "classic case of great college production, but sub-par skills at the NFL level." He is the size of a CB with the speed of a average DE. Although quickness is a better asset than straight line speed.

He may not even be drafted :thumbsdown: