Sign in to follow this  
Brown Eyed Girl

A question for Sux...

Had my car in the shop this week with a cracked radiator. Cracked in 2 places so it was not repairable.

They replaced the radiator and thermostat, added some engine coolant and my bill was $729.

While getting an oil change at Jiffy-Lube yesterday, they told me I was overcharged.

What do you think? About half of this was labor.

:rolleyes:

How much were the parts; specifically the radiator? What is the make, model and year of the car?

You were way overcharged, BEG. The radiator was probably around $175, or so. Labor at worst took 2 hrs???? At lets say $100 an hour, with coolant you should have got outta there under $500. I could be missing something though.

Itemize your bill for us and we'll have a better idea.

What kind of car? year? Front wheel drive?

Thanks guys. Here's the breakdown of my bill:

Remove & replace Radiator - 3 hours at $76./hr = $228

Remove & replace Thermostat - 1 hr at $76/hr = $76.

Radiator = $312

Thermostat = $18

Thermostat Gasket = $6.12

Engine Coolant = $10.50

Tow = $50

Tax - $28.60

Total = $729.22

2001 Pontiac Aztec - Yeah, I know. But it's mine & I'm stuck with it. :unsure:

You were way overcharged, BEG. The radiator was probably around $175, or so. Labor at worst took 2 hrs???? At lets say $100 an hour, with coolant you should have got outta there under $500. I could be missing something though.

Thanks TAS... yeah, that's what I was hoping for. Under $500.

And they told me they were really working me a deal with this too.

:unsure:

$700 to replace a radiator on a $3000 vehicle.......SWEET!

:unsure:

Radiator = $312

Thermostat = $18

Engine Coolant = $10.50

Tow = $50

Tax - $28.60

Total = $729.22

2001 Pontiac Aztec - Yeah, I know. But it's mine & I'm stuck with it. :unsure:

Better than goodyear sandles ;)

The labor seems about right though I think the thermostat is outrageous, but that is to be expected. I think the radiator is high, it should only have been around 280 or so. If you took this to a dealer, you can always expect a markup....most i believe are around 20% but some go much higher.

I just changed a radiator on a 2000 Isuzu p/up (work truck) and it cost me $175 for the radiator. Obviously every car requires a different radiator, so the price may vary.

The $300 hundred to remove it is outrageous. It takes about 20 mins to remove it. :unsure:

Radiator = $312

Thermostat = $18

Engine Coolant = $10.50

Tow = $50

Tax - $28.60

Total = $729.22

2001 Pontiac Aztec - Yeah, I know. But it's mine & I'm stuck with it. :overhead:

Radiator - OE replacement (means basically stock replacement) = $240, heavy duty is $340

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/models/p...~makemodel.html

I'd say you probably overpaid for the radiator. Was this performed at a dealership? parts at dealerships are automatically marked up more than just about anywhere else.

I wouldn't say the labor is too long. If they were required to pull the fan and/or water pump for any reason, then 3hrs labor isn't outrageous. Outrageous would be 7 hours to me.

Even the rate isn't that bad. ($76/hr)

The thermostat is overpriced...but in the grand scheme of things....whatever.

$6 for a gasket is fuckin ridiculous...it should be included in the price of the overpriced thermostat.

$50 for a tow ain't bad though.

Overall...yeah, I'd say you probably paid about $200 more than you could have gotten away with had to brought it to someone else (non dealership).

But that's being a chic for ya. They KNOW you don't know sh!t about cars, and feel very vulnerable with it broke down.

It totally depends where you took it. I work at an auto shop in palo alto, ca and its an expensive area. We charge like $10/qt for synthetic oil and people pay it without hesitating. An oil filter that costs us $2 will sell for like $12. Thats just the lil stuff. We charge at least the "list price" but half the time its a bit more than that. Plus, labor costs $110/hr. The reason we get away with it is because of the area. There are some condo's across the street. A 2 bedroom 1100sq ft. condo sells for 1.2 million. HOA fees are $454/month. Focking crazy.

Customers have spent 3g's on a car that MIGHT be worth $2500 after its all fixed. It boggles my mind.

If you took this to a dealer, you can always expect a markup....most i believe are around 20% but some go much higher.

No, I didn't take it to the dealership. Since my warranty expired last year, I don't take it to them anymore.

You're right - they're way overpriced.

But that's being a chic for ya. They KNOW you don't know sh!t about cars, and feel very vulnerable with it broke down.

That is 100% bullsh1t.

What we like about ladies in our shop is the fact that they WANT to learn about their cars versus the guys who THINK that they know everything about them already. (obviously I'm generalizing a bit)

BEG, I'll look into the labor time and costs tomorrow when I get to work.

Initially it seems like it might be a little high, but I'll give you the honest scoop tomorrow. :overhead:

Exactly. I hate dealing with auto repairs for this reason.

As I was pulling away when I picked it up, I remembered an issue I've been having with my gas gauge. The dial is all over the place.

Fortunately, I keep track of my mileage between filling my tank so I pretty much know when I'm low on fuel... anyway I asked him what

the problem might be and he said I need a fuel pump to fix that.

His quote = $550.

:overhead:

That is 100% bullsh1t.

What we like about ladies in our shop is the fact that they WANT to learn about their cars versus the guys who THINK that they know everything about them already. (obviously I'm generalizing a bit)

Initially it seems like it might be a little high, but I'll give you the honest scoop tomorrow. :)

Hey Thanks a bunch, Sux. I sure appreciate that. The work's done already, but at least I'll know not to take it to him in the future.

Especially for the fuel pump... at $550. If it's not hurting or damaging anything on my car NOT to change this part, I'll just keep doing what I've been

doing (monitoring the fuel level on my own). Otherwise, I'll have to get it fixed.

I just really need this car to last me for at least another 2 years. And without a lot of costly maintenance.

:overhead:

That is 100% bullsh1t.

Initially it seems like it might be a little high, but I'll give you the honest scoop tomorrow. :overhead:

I didn't say all grease monkeys there Sux. Take a Coors light will ya?!

You and I both know for a fact that automotive repair shops have and WILL pray on women when they are alone because they know sh1t about cars (for the most part).

It's not 100% bullshit...it might be 10% bullshit....but you and I both know it's true.

My brother is a mechanic, and just did for me on a 2005 350Z:

Brake pads and resurfacing (or whatever)

Oil and filter change (synthetic biitch)

Tranny adjustment (shaddup)

Rotation of tires

Wash

$115 :overhead:

I gave him $250 cause were blood, poiint being the labor is huge, that was parts alone. You cant put a price on a good mechanic!

Move to So Cal Chris you fockin phag! :)

Ouch that hurts. It's usually prety easy to replace a radiator. And $312 for a radiator? Did you even check your local AutoZone? On most cars, it literally takes a screwdriver, and 2 bolts on hose clamps, to remove the hoses to your radiator and drain your system. Then once you replace the radiator, just burp it for a little while (run with the radiator cap off, let it puke) and then you should have all the air out of the system, and then you can start using coolant (anti-freeze) in the system again.

Not usually a complicated thing to do.

Exactly. I hate dealing with auto repairs for this reason.

As I was pulling away when I picked it up, I remembered an issue I've been having with my gas gauge. The dial is all over the place.

Fortunately, I keep track of my mileage between filling my tank so I pretty much know when I'm low on fuel... anyway I asked him what

the problem might be and he said I need a fuel pump to fix that.

His quote = $550.

:huh:

First you do not need to get it fixed if you keep track of your miles so you don't run out of gas :thumb sup:

Second the $550 is probably in line. Some brainsurgon decided to put the fuel pump inside the gas tank so to replace it you have to drain and remove the tank, replace the pump and put the tank back in. A total pain in the arse for a $15 pump :mad:

That's too much.

ETA: Cost me $800 to replace the gas tank in my Jeep ... because it was a "dealer only" part, and includes the fuel pump ...and dealer hourly rate.

Some cars ... much cheaper to repair than others. WHAT KINDA CAR?

my engine light came on recently.

I brought it to the garage up the street that I have a relationship with.

I asked them to use their engine light tester to see what it was.

it's a Catalytic converter issue.

I asked the guy if he could replace it. he said "let me reset the engine light and see how many miles you can get before it comes back"

so I went about 1200 miles and it came back. I went online to see what a Catalytic converter for my car costs. it's about $325 bucks.

Now I had them reset it again. I can keep resetting it till February of 2009 when I need a new sticker, get it fixed or get a new car. I'll probably get it fixed, the car only has 95,000 miles and still runs good.

Problem is, a licensed mechanic, often hasta replace yer cat if it's no good. And there is platinum in cats, and they know they can get more for scrap for them because of that.

If you are gonna replace your cat ... givecatcheezeburger!

That's too much.

ETA: Cost me $800 to replace the gas tank in my Jeep ... because it was a "dealer only" part, and includes the fuel pump ...and dealer hourly rate.

Some cars ... much cheaper to repair than others. WHAT KINDA CAR?

Did you read the thread, retread? 2001 Aztek

Good for you for using your head and having a plan to hold on to your car until you can buy comfortably. Fix the Aztec and remember that the cost of the repair was equal to a couple of months of car payments.

:thumbsup:

Good for you for using your head and having a plan to hold on to your car until you can buy comfortably. Fix the Aztec and remember that the cost of the repair was equal to a couple of months of car payments.

:thumbsup:

Ed Zachary

Move to So Cal Chris! :wave:

Seconded!

You'd have my business - which lately would prolly cover your mortgage. <_<

Did you read the thread, retread? 2001 Aztek

WTF is an Aztek? I'm not trying to be a d!ck ... but some details might be helpfull.

WTF is an Aztek? I'm not trying to be a d!ck ... but some details might be helpfull.

I've heard of this thing called the interweb where you can look things like that up.

I've heard of this thing called the interweb where you can look things like that up.

It uses google or else it gets the hose again.

Sux wouldve fixed it for u for pizza and a few bj's.... :dunno:

a lady at my PO had the full oil change and service done..but they never filled the transmission fluid up and not long after...bye tranny...

the shop is arguing to her that its her responsibility to check these fluid levels..if she couldm wouldnt she just do this herself?

:D

Sux wouldve fixed it for u for pizza and a few bj's.... :dunno:

Had Sux fixed it for me, I'd have bought him a pizza and a case of Coors Lite.

Had Sux fixed it for me, I'd have bought him a pizza and a case of Coors Lite.

No BJ's????? :dunno:

Radiator = $312

Thermostat = $18

Engine Coolant = $10.50

Tow = $50

Tax - $28.60

Total = $729.22

2001 Pontiac Aztec - Yeah, I know. But it's mine & I'm stuck with it. :banana:

After looking at labor times and list prices, NO, you did not get burned.

The radiators themselves go from $295.00 up to $450.00 depending on whether or not your has what they call a HD radiator. (Heavy Duty)

Radiator labor book time: 3.0 hours

Thermostat book time: 2.6 hours :thumbsup:

BEG, don't listen to anyone else here saying that you got overcharged. Unforunately you own a vehicle that seems to have expensive parts in focked up places to get to.

After looking at labor times and list prices, NO, you did not get burned.

The radiators themselves go from $295.00 up to $450.00 depending on whether or not your has what they call a HD radiator. (Heavy Duty)

Radiator labor book time: 3.0 hours

Thermostat book time: 2.6 hours :thumbsup:

BEG, don't listen to anyone else here saying that you got overcharged. Unforunately you own a vehicle that seems to have expensive parts in focked up places to get to.

Holy sh1t....2.6 hrs to change a THERMOSTAT.....what it is under the intake manifold or something crazy like that?

Like I said above SUX, I can see 3 hrs to change the radiator, especially on a FWD vehicle.

But I found the parts online for considerably cheaper than what you did. Granted, a local shop won't give you internet pricing on parts.

Sorry to hear you took it in the poo hole BEG. Looks like it was necessary though.