2 31 (62)

3 6 (69) From Oakland

3 31 (94)

4 30 (129)

5 29 (164)

6 30 (197)

7 31 (238)

Did all the Patriots' fans disappear after the Super Bowl?? :cheers:

I didn't mean it as a slight....it's just that our Board has always been well-represented by Pats fans and this thread hasn't been touched thus far.

Most aren't real fans, that follow offseason moves, draft picks, and so on. If they are winning they will swarm. Since there are no games to be won yet they won't really be around.

Rd 1, trade down to the team wants to take Sed Ellis....

Pick: Rivers, McKelvin, DRC.

Agree with Dank Nuggs, they trade down, and pick a corner, or Rivers. If they can get Ghoulston, they make the pick.

Agree with Dank Nuggs, they trade down, and pick a corner, or Rivers. If they can get Ghoulston, they make the pick.

The Pats under Belioli have historically not used high picks on CB's and I don't see that trend changing this year. There are several rumors that they have Mayo and not Rivers high on their list at LB and could possibly trade down to #10 with New Orleans and grab him there. If they stay at #7 (which to me is 50/50 at best) the only players that warrant consideration are Long, Gholston, Ellis and Albert. I'd be ecstatic with Ellis, Long or Albert at #7. Gholston I'm not enamored with but I've already learned that the Pats know more than I'll ever know when it comes to picking talent. If they somehow landed Chris Long I'd be doing cartwheels.

I think they will definately be going D-Back at least twice in rounds 2-4. I'd love to see us get Flowers or Jenkins with a move up into the second along with a stud in round one. And Jordy Nelson in the 3rd would be huge too if he's still around.

I'll throw a crazy trade scenario out there....

Pats trade up, yes up, 2 spots leap-frogging the Jets to grab Gholston. KC drops only 2 spots, takes Albert and picks up the Pats early 3rd (via OAK).

I'll throw a crazy trade scenario out there....

Pats trade up, yes up, 2 spots leap-frogging the Jets to grab Gholston. KC drops only 2 spots, takes Albert and picks up the Pats early 3rd (via OAK).

I don't see that being crazy at all and I won't be surprised to see the Pats move up to #4 or #5. The only problem I have with your scenario is them moving up for Gholston. If it were for Chris Long or Dorsey I could see it but not for Gholston. Alot of people have Gholston high on their boards and I like him but not as a top 5-7 pick. My son has his first baseball game of the year at 2:00 so I get stuck running back and forth to my car to listen to Sirius for the first hour of the draft. :pointstosky:

I'm thinking they take Sedric Ellis if he is there, but I have a feeling that Ellis will be gone. I doubt they go CB.

Who are you taking with pick #31 in the first? :mad:

Your momma :wall:

I'm sure whoever they get whether it's at 7 or lower will fill some need and turn out to be a great player. I want them to take Rivers, LB. Lord knows they need some younger ones on the field

I guess the rumors about Mayo were true. I'm happy we finally have a young lb in the mix and got the Saints 3rd rounder to boot. The Pats now have 3-3rd rounders who they can use to move up and grab another first day pick which is what I think they'll do. :angry:

Good choice by the Pats. Lord knows they needed to get younger at linebacker. He's a smart player...called defensive signals at Tennessee. Supposed to be dedicated to film study. If his work ethic is as advertised, he might be able to contibute as a rookie. :pointstosky:

I wonder if they were hoping to get Rivers when they traded down. I do not know much about this player, but I am glad they have some youth at LB. I trust in BB and Pioli that they got a solid player who can contribute quick.

http://www.patsfans.com/price/blog/?p=401

BB on Mayo

“We’re excited to have Jerod join our organization. He’s a pretty versatile player — he did a lot of different things at Tennessee. He played inside, he played outside. He played in their sub defense, he played in the kicking game. He’s a smart kid, runs well, pretty physical player. I think he’ll be a good addition to our football team. We’ll just have to wait and see.”

On the three third-round picks possibly changing their approach…

"I wouldn’t rule anything out. We’re not afraid to trade them, one way or another. We’ll just see how it goes — we’ll take each situation as it comes up. Whether than means moving up to the second or taking players or looking at next year, we’ve done all those things. I don’t know how it’s going to go. I don’t know what the options are going to be. We’ll evaluate whichever ones come up and do what we think is best for the football team.

When was Mayo first on your radar?

Really, after the juniors declared and he had a very good combine workout. He was a guy that I think everybody scouted in the SEC, that scouted that conference, knew about. He’s a very productive player down there for Tennessee, and has been for a couple of years now. He had a good workout. He was a productive player in every game. He’s a versatile guy. We brought him up and visited with him. He’s a very intelligent player. He’s a good football player. He’s smart. He understands schemes and concepts. He runs the defense, makes the calls, and makes adjustments. I think he has a lot to offer.

On possibly getting better inside last season…

I think he was pretty good when he was outside. He played both Mike and Sam — those are 4-3, off-the-line positions, and in our 3-4 defense, we have only two off-the-line positions. But we sometimes adjust the front and he plays in those different spots and so forth. But he certainly improved over the course of the year. But he was pretty good at the start of the year, and he was pretty good last year and he was pretty good the year before that as well. He’s been a very productive player in a top program in a top conference at a couple of different spots, and that includes against the run and against the pass and in fourth down and in the kicking game. I don’t think there’s much more he could have done.

On his knee surgeries – are they a concern?

No, no. Of course not. Our doctors feel fine about him. I wish my good knees were as good as his bad ones. [laughs] I think he’s healthy, he’s been a very durable guy and a very productive player.

On his role next year?

We’ll put him out there with everybody else and we’ll see how it goes.

On whether or not he’s ranked higher than linebackers in past drafts?

He’s one of the better linebackers we’ve seen in a while. We haven’t been picking at this point in the draft, either. I’m glad we’re picking him where we were and for the right reasons. I’m sure there have been other good players than have come through the last couple of years, but they were so far away from where they were getting picked, there wasn’t much consideration.

On not drafting linebackers early —- what Mayo offers that some others might not…

It just worked out that way. It’s not a grand plan to take them or not take them. We evaluate all the players, grade them and then when you pick, you take a look at the players that are available and do what’s best for the football team. It worked out that way this year — it could have worked out differently in other years. That’s the way it fell, and whenever we pick, we do what we feel is best for the team, and sometimes, those options, we don’t control them.

On what this might mean for Seau…

That’s not really a factor.

On his improvement…

I think everybody gets better the more experience and more playing time, but he’s pretty good and he’s been pretty good. It’s not like he was no good and then, gradually … he’s been a productive player since he’s been there. And that’s a top conference and those are against some of the top players — the McFadden’s and the Georgia’s and the Florida’s. There are a lot of good football teams. I don’t think you have any problem buying into him in any of those years and any of those games."

Love this pick and the trade down. Now I hope move up using those 3rds and grab Phillips from Miami.

Or send pick for CB from Philly, name escapes me right now....

I haven't gone very deep into draft researching this year due to time constraints. Can anybody tell me whether there might be some good secondary options out there for the Pats in the third round? To me, whether or not they should trade up with those third round picks depends on the depth of talent at the secondary position in this year's draft.

If there is good depth, I wouldn't mind seeing them stand pat (no pun intended) and take a CB, S, and a playmaking RB (basically to supplement Kevin Faulk). They could use some help on the O-Line too, as the entire world saw in the Superbowl.

Did all the Patriots' fans disappear after the Super Bowl?? :overhead:

Nah. We've been busy pimpin-up the bandwagon.

Wheatley was a great pick! :mad:

Could be a true shut-down corner. Also is supposed to be a very good character guy, and smart as well (NFL.com even says he could be a coaching candidate some day). He's also a great kick returner, so at the very least he should be able to contribute early on special teams.

My only problem is that he is short (5'9"). I guess you can't have it all, but they are definitely lacking somebody in the secondary that could defend the likes of, I don't know...Plaxico Burress? The wrist injuries are also a little disconcerting since that is the same problem Ellis Hobbs had, but supposedly he is over them now.

Wheatley was a great pick! :thumbsdown:

Could be a true shut-down corner. Also is supposed to be a very good character guy, and smart as well (NFL.com even says he could be a coaching candidate some day). He's also a great kick returner, so at the very least he should be able to contribute early on special teams.

My only problem is that he is short (5'9"). I guess you can't have it all, but they are definitely lacking somebody in the secondary that could defend the likes of, I don't know...Plaxico Burress? The wrist injuries are also a little disconcerting since that is the same problem Ellis Hobbs had, but supposedly he is over them now.

Took the words out of my mouth. I am glad they got a CB and none of the ones in the 1st round seemed to be an obvious pick. No one could agree on who was the best of them.

This goes well with Mayo. :shocking:

To all the Pats haters early in this thread...

blow it out your ear!

Thats wicked-good.... :overhead:

I haven't gone very deep into draft researching this year due to time constraints. Can anybody tell me whether there might be some good secondary options out there for the Pats in the third round? To me, whether or not they should trade up with those third round picks depends on the depth of talent at the secondary position in this year's draft.

If there is good depth, I wouldn't mind seeing them stand pat (no pun intended) and take a CB, S, and a playmaking RB (basically to supplement Kevin Faulk). They could use some help on the O-Line too, as the entire world saw in the Superbowl.

There are still quite a few good prospects on both sides of the ball that are left in the third round. I was somewhat surprised that the Pats didn't try to move up into the second but once Cason went to SD :mad: at the end of the first I don't think they thought there was another cb worth moving up for. We are sitting pretty with 3 picks in the third and I'm hoping we can pull 2/3 quality starters out of this draft. I'll list the guys I like in order of preferrence at each spot:

RB: Hart**

Choice**

Charles

K. Smith

FB: Hester

Schmitt

WR/KR: Hawkins

Doucett

OL: Greco

Zuttah

Nicks

TE: Cottam

Stevens

DL: Robertson***

Sims

Cousins

LB: Connor**

Avril**

Adibi

Butler

Goff

Henderson

Bell

CB: Godfrey***

Chevis Jackson***

J King

R Smith

S: Decoud**

Zbikowski**

Barrett

Steltz

I'm hoping we get Robertson, Godfrey, Connor, Avril or Chevis Jackson at 3.06. Getting more than one these guys would be :thumbsup: .

That's my board, I'm sure Belioli's is quite different. :headbanger: You never question their picks given their history.

Lots of third round picks coming up! :thumbsup:

I like the defensive moves and would like to see them grab an ILB, OLB or DL, then another CB this round.

Pats trade 69 (3rd) to Chargers for 160 (5th), 2009 2nd

Pats stocking up for 2009 already. :thumbsdown:

Godfrey and Jackson go right in front of us ;) . I like Crable as he looks to be someone who can get us some pressure off the edge on the pass rush. The trade with SD really suprises me as I don't see their second next year being that far ahead of where we were in the third this year and on top of that you help out a top conference rival? :thumbsup: If it was a trade with someone like AZ/Detroit etc. I could see it but not SD. :thumbsdown:

Pats select OLB Shawn Crable with 78th overall pick

Out of Michigan.

6'5" and 243 lbs

Draft Exchange Analysis:

Shawn Crable may be the most complete 3-4 OLB prospect to come out in years. Unlike most prospects who either convert from LB to DE or vise versa, Crable has extensive experience at both OLB and playing with his hand down. Crable is best at rushing the QB, but is also a force against the run. He has ideal size for the position, with room to grow. Crable must improve his coverage skills, as that is his biggest weakness. He has not been a big playmaker while dropping into coverage, having only 7 PBU's and 0 INT's. As a senior Crable lined up at DE most of the time registering 26.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks. Crable has the ability to start day one for a 3-4 team in need of a OLB. Crable may slip into the second round due to team needs and few teams running a 3-4.

Godfrey and Jackson go right in front of us ;) . I like Crable as he looks to be someone who can get us some pressure off the edge on the pass rush. The trade with SD really suprises me as I don't see their second next year being that far ahead of where we were in the third this year and on top of that you help out a top conference rival? :thumbsup: If it was a trade with someone like AZ/Detroit etc. I could see it but not SD. :thumbsdown:

Really depends on the depth of next years draft. Many at the Chargers board feel BB worked em over, again. Time will tell.

Pats stocking up for 2009 already. :thumbsdown:

So we trade #69 this year for what #55-#60 next year and help out SD?? Not good.

I agree, a 5th and their 2nd next year isn't a huge win in my book. I would have liked to see them grab Conner then maybe another CB, like King or Molden.

Also, does anyone see us grabbing a QB in one of these rounds? Booty and Woodsen are still there.