Sign in to follow this  
VaTerp

Chris Johnson

Im really high on Chris Johnson this year. In fact I think he may be the best value of all the rookie Rbs in this year's FF drafts.

The Titans love to run the ball and do it fairly well. Lendale is the starter but we all know he's nothing special. He will get a good number of carries and should take the pounding while Johnson has the opportunity to get the ball in space.

IMO Johnson is what the Titans hoped to get in Chris Henry. Henry is a combine numbers guy (workout warrior) while Johnson recorded the fasted ever electronically timed 40 at the combine and can actually play football. The limited bit I've seen of him he has shown patience, balance, leg drive, decent vision, good acceleration, and exceptional breakaway speed.

I see Johnson as a Reggie Bush, MJD type player. He is not nearly as hyped as Bush and may not be quite as productive as MJD was in his rookie year but I think he's the real deal and will be on at least 1 of my FF teams this year.

Thoughts? Particularly interested in Wildman's take on him. (Sorry, Matt times are tough right now so I havent bought the RSP. FWIW I have come to respect your opinion a GREAT deal and would recommend your work to anyone who's thinking about getting it)

I don't really see him having a major role this year.

White is the kind of runner Fisher loves, a big bruising back who will wear down defenses (going back to Eddie George).

I agree that Johnson is a Bush type back, someone whose best use is to scare defenses, but becomes less useful the more you give him the ball.

I see him spelling White, and used in 3rd down/pass situations (assuming he can pick up the blocking schemes), but White should get the most yards, and will be in at the goal line.

Not the best back in the draft... and not in a great situation either. Say what you want about Lin-Whale, he was productive while playing injured showing some heart for a change.

I haven't dug enough into his skills to comment on his potential, but the situation he is in could be a lot better. Drafting for this year would probably be meaningless unless it was a handcuff pick. Dynasty hes one injury or a dozen donuts away from starting so I would put him on the list for late round flyers.

Im really high on Chris Johnson this year. In fact I think he may be the best value of all the rookie Rbs in this year's FF drafts.

The Titans love to run the ball and do it fairly well. Lendale is the starter but we all know he's nothing special. He will get a good number of carries and should take the pounding while Johnson has the opportunity to get the ball in space.

IMO Johnson is what the Titans hoped to get in Chris Henry. Henry is a combine numbers guy (workout warrior) while Johnson recorded the fasted ever electronically timed 40 at the combine and can actually play football. The limited bit I've seen of him he has shown patience, balance, leg drive, decent vision, good acceleration, and exceptional breakaway speed.

I see Johnson as a Reggie Bush, MJD type player. He is not nearly as hyped as Bush and may not be quite as productive as MJD was in his rookie year but I think he's the real deal and will be on at least 1 of my FF teams this year.

Thoughts? Particularly interested in what Waldman take is on him. (Sorry, Matt times are tough right now so I havent bought the RSP. FWIW I have come to respect your opinion a GREAT deal and would recommend your work to anyone who's thinking about getting it)

Looking at film of him (which I admit is mostly highlight reel stuff), I saw the same things and am quite high on him too. When he was drafted by Tennessee, I had mixed feelings. His dynasty value might have been higher if he had gone to a team with an established but aging veteran (e.g. Arizona), but he may have more redraft value with the Titans. I have the 1.04 and 1.05 in my dynasty, and am trying to decide between Johnson, Forte and Smith.

Appreciate the thoughts but I disagree about him being in a bad situation.

I think Tenn is a great place for him. Yes, Lendale is gonna get the majority of carries and the goaline looks but

1) Tenn ran the ball more times than any other team in the league last year. Even if White gets 300 carries there will be plenty of opportunity for Johnson

2) Johnson should get plenty of looks in the passing game. With Vince and the Titans Wr corp I look for them to be throwing a lot of bubble screens and dump offs his way

3) I think Heimerdinger will be good for this offense and I think they will move the ball and have more scoring opportunities than last year.

I think the perception that Tenn is not a good situation and the fact that he went to a small school is what is gonna keep Johnson as a great value. What round do you guys see him going in? I have seen some early drafts and it looks like he is settling in the 8th to 9th round range. While I have him as a 6th round value right now.

I think Tenn is a great place for him. Yes, Lendale is gonna get the majority of carries and the goaline looks but

1) Tenn ran the ball more times than any other team in the league last year. Even if White gets 300 carries there will be plenty of opportunity for Johnson

2) Johnson should get plenty of looks in the passing game. With Vince and the Titans Wr corp I look for them to be throwing a lot of bubble screens and dump offs his way

3) I think Heimerdinger will be good for this offense and I think they will move the ball and have more scoring opportunities than last year.

I think the perception that Tenn is not a good situation and the fact that he went to a small school is what is gonna keep Johnson as a great value. What round do you guys see him going in? I have seen some early drafts and it looks like he is settling in the 8th to 9th round range. While I have him as a 6th round value right now.

He went at 8.08 in FFT's Jetdoc mock, but fantasyfootballcalculator.com has is ADP at 11.07, so the general FF community isn't super high on him.

As for his opportunities in the passing game, as I said before, it depends on how well he picks up the pass blocking schemes. I'm sure there will be screens and designed dump offs, but unless Fisher wants to advertise that his RB is almost certainly going to be running a route, if Johnson doesn't pick up the blocking scheme well, his use in obvious passing downs will be limited.

The guy is lighting fast, but is only 5'11" 195 lbs. Has great catching skills and is a highlight reel rating waiting to happen. Sound familiar?

Jerious Norwood 5'11" 202 lbs. lighting fast, has great catching skills and is a highlight reel waiting to happen.

The will share the same fate. 5-10 touches a game. Awesome highlights, but sporatic fantasy production. A fantasy owners nightmare. Complaints about not getting him the ball the way Norwood owners have complained the last 2 years will pour in. "why won't Tenn give him a shot?" will be heard around these parts over and over.

He has talent. But is not an every down back and as such will be a headache in the making. Far more valuable in PPR leagues. Half his touches may come from screens or quick dumps to the outside. He may even line up on the outside.

He could be the next Brian Westbrook 5'10" 202 lbs. Fast, great catching ability. But C.Johnson isn't on the same type of team. And faces much more competition for touches on the Titans. Thus, for the time being, he will look more like Norwood than Westbrook.

The guy is lighting fast, but is only 5'11" 195 lbs. Has great catching skills and is a highlight reel rating waiting to happen. Sound familiar?

Jerious Norwood 5'11" 202 lbs. lighting fast, has great catching skills and is a highlight reel waiting to happen.

The will share the same fate. 5-10 touches a game. Awesome highlights, but sporatic fantasy production. A fantasy owners nightmare. Complaints about not getting him the ball the way Norwood owners have complained the last 2 years will pour in. "why won't Tenn give him a shot?" will be heard around these parts over and over.

He has talent. But is not an every down back and as such will be a headache in the making. Far more valuable in PPR leagues. Half his touches may come from screens or quick dumps to the outside. He may even line up on the outside.

He could be the next Brian Westbrook 5'10" 202 lbs. Fast, great catching ability. But C.Johnson isn't on the same type of team. And faces much more competition for touches on the Titans. Thus, for the time being, he will look more like Norwood than Westbrook.

Good post. Norwood is a fair comparison but I think the bolded part is what will make Johnson a better FF RB. And for the record, when I say Im really high on him Im talking about PPR leagues.

Johnson was originally recruited as a WR and I think he will be much more involved in the passing game than Norwood has been or will ever be.

Also I think that the reason Norwood has become a "fantasy owners nightmare" is that people truly expected him to become the feature RB w/ Dunn getting up there in age. He went in the 4th round in my main league last year and was a huge dissapointment for where he was drafted.

My expectations for Johnson are more realistic. If he can come close to the production Norwood has had in the running game and gets the number of touches I expect in the passing game then I still think he's great value this year.

i like the guy a lot. he was productive, knows what he is (outside, not inside runner), and the titans seem intent on using him.

his clips from draft day are obviously great: [mayock] "watch this plant and explosion up the field, between the 2 closing defenders, BOOM, GONE---you wake up in the morning with that, or you dont".

i like the examples the commentators gave of his potential use:

1) welker-like on the screen. we saw a few yrs ago ssmith and smoss have great career yrs when the screen was reborn; those guys had coordinators find creative ways to get the ball to their burners on the outside, and allow them to make a move in space and hit the homerun. marshall faulk pointed out last yr, welker made the same living with the screen, gaining easy productive yardage getting the ball into his hands in space.

2) the zone-read/ run-read scheme of vick. we saw during vick's last productive yr, the falcs used a shotgun snap, allowing vick to read the defensive end---if he came up the field outside, vick gave theball to dunn to hit the open space inside and gain good yardage; if the end crashes inside, vick went outside to gain yards. a great comment was made about placing johnson with young in the backfield, and at the snap, one going one way and the other going the other way----you have to respect the speed.

the titans got criticized for not draftng a wideout to help vince develop the pass game, but i think they want to use this guy for high comlpetion% plays on several opportunities. lendale will remain the power back with that great o-line, and crumpler will provide more security on tougher pass downs. but this johnson guy has too much speed and acceleration not to get involved. [as faulk said, "the guy's speed and acceleration closes down angles].

lastly, i think because of his perceived value to most ffers (as vikes pointed out), if you like him, you wont have to "pay" as much for him, as opposed to stewart or forte.

Unless White sucks he is only a third down back and nothing more - maybe worth a flyer :pointstosky:.

I'll be giving more of my take on Johnson when I write the annual Impact Rookie series next month. I think what they want to do with Johnson could realistically make him a worthwhile fantasy threat as a bye week back on a fantasy roster this year. I look at him as a situational back with potential to develop into an every down back in a few years because much of what he's lacking as an every down back he can develop . Brian Westbrook/Reggie Bush is a good comparison as a ceiling for his potential, but he's not nearly as good as an overall player as Westbrook was immediately out of Villanova. I'm higher on Kevin Smith as a rookie value pick, but Johnson will see the field a lot in the slot and as a receiver out of the backfield.

If all goes well, I think Johnson could be good for 600 yards rushing/600 yards receiving and 6-7 scores. Anything more would be a shocker. Realistically, I think 400 yards rushing and 400 yards receiving with 4 scores is a better expectation.

Unless White sucks he is only a third down back and nothing more - maybe worth a flyer :thumbsdown:.

This was your same response in the Fargas thread. "Unless McFadden sucks Fargas is bench fodder." I think thats an extremely limited view of things.

Offenses are getting more creative in the way they use their personnel. There arent too many Rbs in this league who get to pound the ball exclusively and are involved in the passing game. Tomlinson, Steven Jackson, Westbrook, Addai. On most people's rankings thats 4 of the top 5 Rbs in FF this year. You could add guys like Portis, Lynch, etc but you are basically talking about the top 10 ranked guys.

Those RBs are special and few and far between and thats why they will go in the 1st round of FF drafts this year. Lendale White is obviously not in that class. Johnson wont just be a 3rd down back and nothing more. He will be on the field with White sometimes. He will be a big part of their passing game. Look at how Bush and MJD are used.

Some good points were made about the Titans using the zone read schemes and things like that. That is why I think going to Tenn is a great fit for him, playing with a guy like Vince Young and an OC that likes to spread the field and throw some diff. looks out there. There is a reason they drafted the guy in the 1st round when they had other needs they could address like a WR.

Im not saying Johnson is gonna be a top 10 RB this year but I do think he will be a viable flex starter and could very well shock people and end up in the top 25 by seasons end. And if you can get a top 25 Rb anywhere from rounds 8 to 12 I think thats great value.

I'll get off his nuts for now, but it'll be intersting to revisit this later in the season. Im putting it out there that I think Chris Johnson will finish top 25 in PPR leagues this year.

Unless White sucks he is only a third down back and nothing more - maybe worth a flyer :thumbsdown:.

I actually don't buy this. I can actually see situations where he and Lendale are lined up in the same backfield and Johnson splits out wide or runs out of the flanker position, ala Reggie Bush. With Titan's crappy WR situation, and Johnson's background @ WR, the kid could be a PPR monster. And that speed makes hime a threat to go the distance anytime, particularly if he gets single against an LB.

Unless White sucks he is only a third down back and nothing more - maybe worth a flyer :thumbsup:.

Moz Moz Moz - - this guy didn't go 1st round to be a 3rd down back and nothing more. I'm particullary excited about the catches he makes. Check out the play at the 3:00 minute mark of the highlight. I can see this on a first and 10 with Lendale and Johnson in the backfield together! This highlight reel pumps me up.

Then you have to look at what coach Fisher says about the new o-coordinator .... Coach Fisher's wed report....

(On Titans Offensive Coordinator Mike Heimerdinger)

Mike’s very specific. He is deliberate and wants things done his way. Once things are in place he is going to attack; he is going to attack defenses. We are talking about some things we don’t have in yet because our defense doesn’t necessarily play those defenses. He’s just very specific and deliberate and the players will understand when he calls things there is a reason for it and what is expected of them in the play.

To me they are looking for ways to score. You need the most weapons on the field at any given time. Johnson will have to be out there on the field often IMO. He's DYNOMITE :thumbsdown:

Moz Moz Moz - - this guy didn't go 1st round to be a 3rd down back and nothing more. I'm particullary excited about the catches he makes. Check out the play at the 3:00 minute mark of the highlight. I can see this on a first and 10 with Lendale and Johnson in the backfield together! This highlight reel pumps me up.

i agree w/ you here Jocstrap. To me, the unbelievable part is how guys w/ the angle on him can't catch him. There's only a handful of players I remember seeing who's speed difference was so noticeable they make guys with angles miss, Vick, Moss, Deion. I know the kid isn't exactly playing the elite of talent in those highlights, but I also see pretty good balance and vision, he makes some good cuts and obviously has some good hands. And that straight line speed is off the charts...I wouldn't mind catching this kid at around #10 in a rookie draft if I could.

Trung Candidate

Nice name to throw out there Joey - - gave me a smile :thumbsup: .

Chris Johsnon follows blocks well, has nice hands, and actually looks like he has running back moves. You must be thinking of Michael Bennett!

Trung Candidate

Trung Canidate was never anything more than a track star in pads. I was stupefied when the Rams made him a first round draft pick; he likely could have been had by them in the third. It's really not a fair comparison, though. Johnson's more than a track star. He's a bona fide football player who really does poses the skill set of an NFL back.

i still dont see what was wrong with chris henry :music_guitarred:

and yes im a titans fan

I agree that Tennessee is actually one of the best teams Johnson could have gone to for fantasy value. I dont think any team would have drafted him to give him a huge workload. Tennessee's offense has a big need for a speed guy and they finally got one. Johnson will share carries but this team will run the ball a ton and play more like a college team using option plays, rollouts, screens, and trick plays in order to best utilize Vince Young's abilities. That type of offense works best when you have a back like Johnson as well as a back like White. Its going to be 1a and 1b in the backfield and Johnson could end up being either a or b. Either way, Tennessee didnt draft him to play backup.

i still dont see what was wrong with chris henry :overhead:

and yes im a titans fan

How many players who get a 4 game suspension for substance abuse as a rookie go on to have a long career? You have to fail what? 2 or 3 drug tests to get your first 4 game suspension. After Travis Henry and Chris Henry, I think the Titans were ready for a RB who avoids the drug scene.

Trung Canidate was never anything more than a track star in pads. I was stupefied when the Rams made him a first round draft pick; he likely could have been had by them in the third. It's really not a fair comparison, though. Johnson's more than a track star. He's a bona fide football player who really does poses the skill set of an NFL back.

Canidate actually was given a few chances to start and carry a heavy load includeing a big opportunity to seize the job in Washington. He could never stay healthy though. Had he stayed healthy, he would have actually held some semblance value. Nobody is guaranteed to stay healthy. Regardless of how compareable their skills might be, its not a reason to write off Johnson. I agree that Johnson looks more like a first round back than Canidate but I understand compareing them based on them both being considered a first round reach, their frames, skill sets, and their speed. I'd argue Johnson's receiving and return skills seem more proven also. Which does translate to a football player although we are more concerned with fantasy.

Guess you didnt see the preseason game against the Pats when Henry missed his blocking assignment and Rodney Harrison could have ended VY's career if he really wanted to? :thumbsdown:

i still dont see what was wrong with chris henry :thumbsdown:

and yes im a titans fan

I would rather have Chris Johnson than Dareen McFadden, but that is more a comment on Justin Fargas.

J

I have also been high on C Johnson as my sleeper WR pick in PPR. I'll temper my enthusiasm until i see where K Jones lands. Tenn has given him two long looks, and he has been running real well in tryouts.

Johnson's value (and Fat Lenny's) drop if Tenn thinks Jones is gonna be of help.

Impressive speed. Yes I like him, but I think Bennett is a very good example.

Those holes he was running through might not be there though within the hash marks. The outside LBs will be faster as well not to mention schemes designed to make him prove he can run between the tackles. Face it the WRs don't scare anyone.

If they can spread out the O enough he could be great. Can VY and Co. open up that space? That is the question.

I found it interesting that the Titans drafted Chris Johnson so high given the fact that Lendale White was productive and I thought the Titans biggest need was on the D-line. We know that Fisher loves to pound the football down teams throats so he will use White to do that but I'm thinking Johnson will give them a home run threat and a change of pace back from White. Is it possible that Johnson could take over within a couple of years and be the feature back as perhaps they are not that high on White?

i still dont see what was wrong with chris henry :dunno:

and yes im a titans fan

Apparently early reports suggest that your boy Chris Henry is gonna have a hard time even making the active roster on Sundays.

http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story?id=09000d...mp;confirm=true

The article is about the Titans possible interest in Kevin Jones which would hurt both White and Johnson values. Chris Henry IMO just isnt a good football player. Any time an athlete with his size and speed can barely get playing time and averages well under 4 ypc at Arizona that should be a big red flag right there.

Add in the fact that he got suspended last year which I think was for PEDs and not recreational and your looking at a guy who is a workout warrior and nothing more. In three years he'll be a personal trainer at a local gym somewhere.

I found it interesting that the Titans drafted Chris Johnson so high given the fact that Lendale White was productive and I thought the Titans biggest need was on the D-line. We know that Fisher loves to pound the football down teams throats so he will use White to do that but I'm thinking Johnson will give them a home run threat and a change of pace back from White. Is it possible that Johnson could take over within a couple of years and be the feature back as perhaps they are not that high on White?

I believe the reason he was taken so high was Ten. knows they needed to replace the big return ability they lost in Pacman.

Look at the impact similar players have on the game.

Hester?

I don't really see him having a major role this year.

White is the kind of runner Fisher loves, a big bruising back who will wear down defenses (going back to Eddie George).

I agree that Johnson is a Bush type back, someone whose best use is to scare defenses, but becomes less useful the more you give him the ball.

I see him spelling White, and used in 3rd down/pass situations (assuming he can pick up the blocking schemes), but White should get the most yards, and will be in at the goal line.

I agree. White is very effective in the role Fisher likes. A pounding back to wear down defenses while his defense keeps the game close.

What I've seen of Johnsons tells me right now that all he could be is a Bush type player (In both the good and bad sense). He looks to take everything to the outisde and get the corner. He lacks the power and vision to run sinde effectively. I think The Titans will mostly use him in the passing game and give him a few carries a game hoping he breaks a few long ones. He could be a decent flex starter in ppr leagues.

He's not that small though and with coaching, perhaps down the line he could learn to be an effective inside runner. I just don't think this year, he'll get many chances doing so.

He went at 8.08 in FFT's Jetdoc mock, but fantasyfootballcalculator.com has is ADP at 11.07, so the general FF community isn't super high on him.

As for his opportunities in the passing game, as I said before, it depends on how well he picks up the pass blocking schemes. I'm sure there will be screens and designed dump offs, but unless Fisher wants to advertise that his RB is almost certainly going to be running a route, if Johnson doesn't pick up the blocking scheme well, his use in obvious passing downs will be limited.

Unless they line him up in the slot, which I have a feeling they will. He did play WR in college early in his career. Most though the Titans would draft a WR early and were shocked by the Johnson pick, but in my mind they saw his potential in the passing game and return game when they picked him.

Unless they line him up in the slot, which I have a feeling they will. He did play WR in college early in his career. Most though the Titans would draft a WR early and were shocked by the Johnson pick, but in my mind they saw his potential in the passing game and return game when they picked him.

You hit the nail on the head.

I don't really like him too much. Lendale will get too many carries for Johnson to be anything this year. Sure Johnson may get a lot of catches but I doubt he puts up too many TDs or rush yards.

His future is on White. If White can stay healthy and a decent pounder I don't see Johnson ever getting enough carries with Tenn. to consider him a good FF play.

I don't really like him too much. Lendale will get too many carries for Johnson to be anything this year. Sure Johnson may get a lot of catches but I doubt he puts up too many TDs or rush yards.

His future is on White. If White can stay healthy and a decent pounder I don't see Johnson ever getting enough carries with Tenn. to consider him a good FF play.

I see him used like Reggie Bush in NO. I have a feeling they're gonna have both in the backfield and split him off to get him out in space. No, he's not gonna be a bellcow back, but I think they're gonna get him touches and let him use that speed, almost like a WR. He's a good pass catcher from what I've seen and simply cannot be covered by an LB. I think he's gonna surprise in PPR leagues in particular.

Not even on my radar until they get an NFL caliber QB. They are stuck with a rock at QB for years, unless he grows a brain, realizes that he totally sucks and does quit. Johnson will be an inconsistent scorer at best. He may rip off a big run for a TD then you start him the next week and Vinc Yung sucks it up again and Johnson does jack ######.

What's with all the Vince Young bashing? Yeah he sucked last year, but it was his 2nd season, and his first as the unquestioned starter. I'll agree that the media overinflated his worth during his rookie season, but there are a ton of other teams worse off at the QB position then the Titans.

What's with all the Vince Young bashing? Yeah he sucked last year, but it was his 2nd season, and his first as the unquestioned starter. I'll agree that the media overinflated his worth during his rookie season, but there are a ton of other teams worse off at the QB position then the Titans.

They have no choice. They have to start this idiot. What were his numbers again? 9 td's 17 INTs? With those ###### numbers he should be benched. But they have to play the idiot until they get fired.

Would you guys stop talking about him please? :pointstosky:

I need him to fly under the radar