Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Ichiro - greatest hitter ever?

Ichiro, Gwynn and Boggs are certainly the best over time in the last 30 years. Joe Mauer is the best in the game right this second IMO, with Puhljos close behind. None are the best hitter in my lifetime, that goes to Rod Carew who would have a realistic shot at .400 year in and year out in today's game.

Pete ROSE!

Ichiro, Gwynn and Boggs are certainly the best over time in the last 30 years. Joe Mauer is the best in the game right this second IMO, with Puhljos close behind. None are the best hitter in my lifetime, that goes to Rod Carew who would have a realistic shot at .400 year in and year out in today's game.

Ichiro, Gwynn, Carew and Boggs were/are punch and judy hitters. They hit for a high average but that does not make them the best hitters. The best hitters also hit for power. OPS is the best formula for judging a hitter IMO because it combines power, average and on base percentage. Pujols is the best hitter over the past few seasons and one of the greatest of all time.

Best OPS of all time:

Babe Ruth 1.164

Ted Williams 1.115

Lou Gehrig 1.080

Albert Pujols 1.055

Barry Bonds 1.051

Jimmie Foxx 1.038

Hank Greenberg 1.017

Rogers Hornsby 1.010

Manny Ramirez 1.002

Joe Mauer is the best in the game right this second IMO, with Puhljos close behind.

I hope you're not serious, because Mauer is miles behind Pujols, the best player in the game.

But I'll entertain this ludicrisosity

Mauer .325 career

2 of 7 seasons hit under .300

12 homers per year

65 rbi per year

72 runs per year

slugging .480

OPS .887

60BB per year

postseason: 1r 1rbi .304avg

Pujols .333 career

10 seasons of .310 or better

41 homers per year

122 rbi per year

119 runs per year

slugging .624

OPS 1.051

90BB per year

postseason 39r 36rbi .322avg

I hope you're not serious, because Mauer is miles behind Pujols, the best player in the game.

Mauer .325 career

12 homers per year

65 rbi per year

72 runs per year

slugging .480

OPS .887

60BB per year

Pujols .333 career

41 homers per year

122 rbi per year

119 runs per year

slugging .624

OPS 1.051

90BB per year

Mauer is great because you typically don't see that type of production from the catcher's position. Still, if I have to pick one guy around whom to build a franchise today, it's Pujols.

:D

Cabby's definitely creeping up there now. I think he is right behind Pujols right now of best hitters at this moment.

Mauer .325 career

12 homers per year

65 rbi per year

72 runs per year

slugging .480

OPS .887

60BB per year

Pujols .333 career

41 homers per year

122 rbi per year

119 runs per year

slugging .624

OPS 1.051

90BB per year

I am not going to get into stats of run production, because this thread is about hitting. OPS is a stat that favors power guys. If I need a homerun a take Pujols, if I need a hit, I take Mauer by a whisker. No slight to Pujols, but the NL is filled with patsies and the Central is an absolute joke. One of the reasons I value Carew's achievements is the time in which he played.

Regarding Ichiro

• He has played nine seasons... and he has led the American league in singles ALL NINE YEARS. Nobody else has ever led a league in singles nine times.

• He missed the entire 2000 season (he was still playing in Japan)... and still had more hits than any player in the decade -- he had 90 more hits than second-place Derek Jeter.

• As Bill James points out... only Pete Rose, Sam Rice and Rogers Hornsby managed 2,000 hits in a decade. Ichiro, though, was the only one of the four to miss an entire season in that decade.

And here's a fun little list you can carry around in your wallet.

• Most times with 260 hits: Ichiro (1)

• Most times with 240 hits: Ichiro and Sisler (2)

• Most times with 230 hits: Ichiro (3)

• Most times with 220 hits: Ichiro (5)

• Most times with 210 hits: Ichiro, Cobb, Paul Waner (9)

• Most times with 200 hits: Rose (10); Ichiro and Cobb (9)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/joe_posnanski/03/25/unique.ichiro/index.html

:D

I am not going to get into stats of run production, because this thread is about hitting. OPS is a stat that favors power guys. If I need a homerun a take Pujols, if I need a hit, I take Mauer by a whisker. No slight to Pujols, but the NL is filled with patsies and the Central is an absolute joke. One of the reasons I value Carew's achievements is the time in which he played.

You are obviously a Twins homer and that is why you rate Carew so high. He was a great hitter but not enough power to be considered with the greatest ever.

and no one would take Mauer over Pujols if they needed a hit. If first base was open and Pujols was at bat with a runner on second and the game on the line, he would be intentionally walked to get to Mauer.

He has the record for most 200 hit seasons in a row and is tied for most ever. Most 200 hit seasons ever is 10 and Iciro has done all his 10 in a row. All he needs is 1 more 200 hit season and he owns both records all his own. This from a guy that played a large portion of his career in Japan - imagine if he played his entire career in the MLB. He might not be the greatest ever but he is the most quiet top 10 ever. He is also a 9 time GG winner so he isn't just the best hitter in the game he is also a hell of a fielder.

Based on what? Rod was a very good hitter, but had no power and was pretty much a singles guy. In the 19 years he played, only 3 times did he have 200 or more hits.

Based on what? Rod was a very good hitter, but had no power and was pretty much a singles guy. In the 19 years he played, only 3 times did he have 200 or more hits.

Not sure what your question is. But Carew hit over .330, 9 times, more than any else listed and during a much stronger pitching era. I am not sure why being more of a singles hitter detracts from this. Imagine how many more hits Pujols gets because of his strength. He is capable of hitting the ball out anywhere, even if he does not make solid contact. Carew had to hit the ball squarely to get hits, so did Boggs. My definition of the best hitter is a guy that makes solid contact more than anyone else. Carew did that, without question.

Ichiro's streak of 10, 200 hit seasons is remarkable, but it is helped by a staggering number of at bats. His yearly average of at bats is #1 all time by a wide margin (about 100 MORE PER YEAR than Pujols).

yeah Carew was good but not in this conversation. Cobb , Boggs , Shoeless Joe , Gywnn , Ichiro ...... Carew?

top 10 ever in no order

Ruth

Bonds

Gehrig

Dimaggio

Ted Williams

Jimmie Foxx

Rogers Hornsby

Ty Cobb

Willie Mays

Mickey Mantle

Ichiro Suzuki

Ichiro's streak of 10, 200 hit seasons is remarkable, but it is helped by a staggering number of at bats. His yearly average of at bats is #1 all time by a wide margin (about 100 MORE PER YEAR than Pujols).

thats a testament to the guy rather than a knock - he has been able to remain healthy all that time.

top 10 ever in no order

Ruth

Bonds

Gehrig

Dimaggio

Ted Williams

Jimmie Foxx

Rogers Hornsby

Ty Cobb

Willie Mays

Mickey Mantle

Ichiro Suzuki

My top 10 list includes all the guys you named there but also includes Musual, Gwynn, Griffey, Boggs, and Aaron.

My top 10 list includes all the guys you named there but also includes Musual, Gwynn, Griffey, Boggs, and Aaron.

well those 5 would be in my top 20. Aaron I would have 11th.

If I had to rank the top 5 it would be

1. Ruth

2. Bonds

3. Cobb

4. Ted Williams

5. Dimaggio / Willie Mays toss up

well those 5 would be in my top 20. Aaron I would have 11th.

If I had to rank the top 5 it would be

1. Ruth

2. Bonds

3. Cobb

4. Ted Williams

5. Dimaggio / Willie Mays toss up

If I had to rank my top 5, it would be Bonds, Cobb, Teddy, Mays, Ruth, Mantle, Dimaggio, and Griffey. They'd all be in the top 5.

If I had to rank my top 5, it would be Bonds, Cobb, Teddy, Mays, Ruth, Mantle, Dimaggio, and Griffey. They'd all be in the top 5.

8 people in your top 5 huh..

as it stands, Ichiro is making a strong case for #2 all time behind Cobb. It's impossible to compare averages, but a dude that hits .400 5 years in a row is a better hitter (contact, bat on ball) than anyone you can come up with. That's just retarded. When .350 is a down year, you were a monster.

Now, power factored in? Different story.

Best player? Healthy Griffey Jr. :headbanger:

146games

147runs

246hits

24 triples

127rbi

83sb

.621slg

1088ops

367 total bases

8hr

punkchero's best year?