Sign in to follow this  
Sweetness_34

Green Bay Coach and GM

Buisness here - Favre gives you a much better chance to win - your a title contender with him --- yet you do not let the guy return.

I hope he does end up in minnesota and sticks it to them every chance he gets.

Buisness here - Favre gives you a much better chance to win - your a title contender with him --- yet you do not let the guy return.

I hope he does end up in minnesota and sticks it to them every chance he gets.

:thumbsup:

Favre gives the packers the best chance to win this upcoming year and the GM and coach just compromised that by letting their egos and mistakes (drafting 2 QBs, one in 2nd round and one in 1st round) get in their way of their #1 job - which is to win as many games any given year.

To add to that though, now fudgepacker fans are killing their GM/coach or their QB.....bi-polar positions that will kill the franchise this year between 2 camps...one that will boo Rodgers when he loses his 1st game and the other that will boo Favre every time he comes back to GB. Favre has killed his legacy in GB already.

I love it!!!! :thumbsup:

Best senerio -- Favre somehow gets to play for da Vikings and wins 2 superbowls in his final 2 seasons -- then goes to Canton as Viking!

Packers say one thing, do another as Favre mess lingers

By Gene Wojciechowski

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Print

So unless he "misremembers" -- to use Roger Clemens' word -- Brett Favre once again confirmed all you need to know about the integrity, or lack of it, of Green Bay Packers management. :bench:

First of all, it did the very thing it accuses Favre of doing: It waffled. Actually, general manager Ted Thompson waffled.

A little more than two weeks ago, Thompson said Favre, who mis-retired, could return to the team "as an active member of the Green Bay Packers." Active, as in, on the active roster. But not as the starter.

But the truth is Thompson doesn't want Favre within a Sturgeon Bay of the Packers' training camp. He never did. All that talk of Favre's returning in "some role" was clumsy Thompson propaganda.

The latest proof is in Favre's Sunday interview with ESPN's Chris Mortensen. According to Favre, the quarterback asked Thompson if he'd be "welcome" if he reported to the opening of training camp. A reasonable question.

Thompson, said Favre, "was just about shattered. He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.' I told him I'm not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let's try to resolve this over the next two or three days."

Thompson knows what would have happened if Favre had been issued a helmet and a jersey today. Everybody knows. Favre would have been the best quarterback on the field. Thompson knows what would have happened if Favre had been issued a helmet and a jersey today. Everybody knows. Favre would have been the best quarterback on the field.

Forget the three-ring media circus if Favre had reported. That's the least of Thompson's problems. His backpedaling and then reversal on Favre's supposed "role" with the team is the admission that counts. :(

Thompson isn't interested in putting the best product on the field. :overhead: If he were, he'd let Aaron Rodgers, his handpicked successor to Favre, compete for the starting position. Sure, there'd be off-the-charts media and fan scrutiny. Isn't that part of it?

If Rodgers can't handle the pressure of Favre's presence and open competition for the job in July, what makes you think he can handle the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field in December? But Thompson doesn't want the best man to win. He wants his man to win. So no quarterback bake-off. :lol:

At the very least, Thompson should have told Favre: "You want to come back? Fine. I think you're making a mistake, but it's your life and your legacy. If you do come back, it's going to be an open competition for the starting job. I give you my word we'll judge it as objectively as possible. But if Rodgers wins, you're the backup and you can't ###### about it. Deal?"

And at the very most, Thompson could have said: "You gave us 16 great years. Here's your release."

Instead, the Packers are trying to trade their best quarterback. I repeat, their best quarterback. Of course, Favre isn't good enough for them, but he is good enough that the Packers reportedly want a first-round draft pick in exchange for his rights.

This is what I mean by Packers flip-flopping. In March, Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy and assistant coach Tom Clements were telling Favre he could "still play at a high level." But now the Packers don't think he's worth the trouble? Yet they think the negotiations for his rights should start at a first-rounder? (Yup, dumb and dumber fits well)

If Thompson can get a second-round pick for Favre, take it. Maybe you add some sort of escalation clause -- if his new team advances to the conference championship game, the second-round pick becomes a first-rounder. I'm just spitballing here.

...Nobody has bungled this situation more than Thompson. From the disingenuous "We Care About Favre's Legacy" stance, to the convenient and false statement that Favre could return to the team, Thompson has written the textbook on mismanagement. The bottom line is this: If you believe in Rodgers as much as you say you do, you trade Favre. And it shouldn't matter where. If NFC North rival Minnesota offers the most comprehensive package, you trade him to Minnesota. If Chicago comes up with the best deal, then off to the Bears he goes. That way you get Favre's name off the roster and draft picks in your pocket. It's a win-win.

Favre didn't do himself or his image any favors by changing his mind on retirement. And he's taken considerable heat for it -- some of it deserved, some of it bordering on the hysterical.

But nobody has bungled this situation more than Thompson. From the disingenuous "We Care About Favre's Legacy" stance, to the convenient and false statement that Favre could return to the team, Thompson has written the textbook on mismanagement.

Thompson keeps insisting the Packers have moved forward, as if the mere act of saying the words makes it true. But until he does one of three things -- trade Favre, release Favre or welcome Favre back -- the Packers aren't moving anywhere, especially forward.

Time to make a decision, Ted. Now it's your legacy at stake.

Gene Wojciechowski is the senior national columnist for ESPN.com. You can contact him at gene.wojciechowski@espn3.com.

This ought to shut up any Chicago fans with too much time on their hands... Happy viewing.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa1TSaKmG2o&NR=1

Now, on Aaron Rodgers... Hall of Famer, Super Bowl winner, MVP, record setter, who cares. The Pack are in a situation that any number of NFL teams wish they could be in. They have a young stud of a first round pick that has been groomed for four years now, ready to step in as a starter. There is no more difficult job in all of sports than an NFL QB. Elway struggled, Manning struggled, every young QB needs time to groom.

This guy has been holding a clipboard, studying film, working out (getting that arm stronger), running the scout team, learning the frighteningly brutal details of NFL defenses, and doing all of this while observing how a true hall-of-famer carries himself. He's been in OJT for THREE years. He's going to a team with a first class defense, a solid running game, explosive weapons on offense, and that's hungry after an NFC Championship Game choke-job last year. This has Carson Palmer 2005 written all over it. At the VERY least, Rodgers should be every bit as successful as Romo was when he emerged. I mean, same situation though basically Romo is just a plumber from Eastern Illinois compared to the talent Rodgers has.

This kid is also in the last year of his contract, which means he's close to walking away and playing for another team if you continue to piss him off. Just think, first round pick, first round pick money, all of that invested in a guy who could very well walk after this year and go play for the same team you're trying to keep Favre from playing for right now. Of course, there's always the Franchise/Transition route, but we all know how successful that strategy is with alienating players. Anybody not think the Vikes would kill to be in this situation with THEIR young QB right now? What move would THEY make?

Favre or not (and Brett has NOT handled this well BTW either), this is a no brainer situation for Packer management.

This has Carson Palmer 2005 written all over it.

One packer fan thinks Rodgers is the next Brady; another one thinks he is the next Palmer. Focking hilarious!!!

Here is a clue: Palmer was the #1 draft pick for a reason. His talent was clear to anyone who saw him play at USC. Rodgers was full of flaws coming out of college....there is a reason he fell to the bottom of the 1st round. It is a tip!!! :music_guitarred:

One packer fan thinks Rodgers is the next Brady; another one thinks he is the next Palmer. Focking hilarious!!!

Here is a clue: Palmer was the #1 draft pick for a reason. His talent was clear to anyone who saw him play at USC. Rodgers was full of flaws coming out of college....there is a reason he fell to the bottom of the 1st round. It is a tip!!! B)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...&id=3507054

You have nothing more to say

Here is a clue: Palmer was the #1 draft pick for a reason. His talent was clear to anyone who saw him play at USC. Rodgers was full of flaws coming out of college....there is a reason he fell to the bottom of the 1st round. It is a tip!!! B)

You must be a complete focking idiot. Did you NOT get the gist of what I posted? Oh, and how'd that YOU TUBE clip work for you Einstein...?

Here is a clue: Palmer was the #1 draft pick for a reason. His talent was clear to anyone who saw him play at USC. Rodgers was full of flaws coming out of college....there is a reason he fell to the bottom of the 1st round. It is a tip!!! :music_guitarred:

One Bars fan cannot read....nobody thinks he is the next Brady.

Is there a reason Brady fell as far as he did?

Ryan Leaf was a top pick too.

So was Rex Grossman...does it mean all top picks are great and all lower picks suck?

You must be a complete focking idiot. Did you NOT get the gist of what I posted? Oh, and how'd that YOU TUBE clip work for you Einstein...?

You hit the nail on the head. He's complete fockin idiot :( :music_guitarred:

Reporter #1

Did you say to Favre that if he reported you worried you'd get canned?

Thompson "That is not the way I interpreted it"

=============

We might have to change the name of this movie from "Dumb and dumber" to "Liar Liar"... :music_guitarred:

Justin....I mean Bustin Harrell....nice 1st round pick Ted Thompson....keep up the stellar work!!!

=========================

Harrrell can't lift right now. About the only things he can do is ride the bike and work in the pool a little. He's taking some medication and has not had a cortisone shot "in a while."

Even if he comes back in a couple weeks, like last season, it's going to take him a lot of time to round into shape. From his demeanor in the locker room, the situation does not look promising.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/...frustrated.aspx

Reporter #1

Did you say to Favre that if he reported you worried you'd get canned?

Thompson "That is not the way I interpreted it"

=============

We might have to change the name of this movie from "Dumb and dumber" to "Liar Liar"... :dunno:

So you immediately just believe Favre right?

Ok...I guess he is only credible to you since he is bashing Thompson.

Too funny.

Justin....I mean Bustin Harrell....nice 1st round pick Ted Thompson....keep up the stellar work!!!

=========================

Harrrell can't lift right now. About the only things he can do is ride the bike and work in the pool a little. He's taking some medication and has not had a cortisone shot "in a while."

Even if he comes back in a couple weeks, like last season, it's going to take him a lot of time to round into shape. From his demeanor in the locker room, the situation does not look promising.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/...frustrated.aspx

So Ted should know when a guy might hurt his back in the next offseason?

Nice...

So Ted should know when a guy might hurt his back in the next offseason?

Nice...

Harrell was an injury risk even before the draft. The guy was damaged goods and this was known well before the draft. Next time, bring facts to the table, homer d!ck!! :dunno:

So you immediately just believe Favre right?

Ok...I guess he is only credible to you since he is bashing Thompson.

Too funny.

Either favre or thompson are lying. From the recent Favre episode to the Randy Moss fiasco to the Javon Walker fiasco to the Ryan Grant fiasco, it is clear where the trend seems to indicate. Your homer glasses will not let you see that though. Use facts some times. It is a tip

Harrell was an injury risk even before the draft. The guy was damaged goods and this was known well before the draft. Next time, bring facts to the table, homer d!ck!! :thumbsdown:

He had a previous arm injury...he was no more an injury risk for his back than any other player.

Next time...know what the hell you are talking about for once.

Either favre or thompson are lying. From the recent Favre episode to the Randy Moss fiasco to the Javon Walker fiasco to the Ryan Grant fiasco, it is clear where the trend seems to indicate. Your homer glasses will not let you see that though. Use facts some times. It is a tip

I think the truth lies somewhere between what Favre and what Thompson are saying...though one has gone on to take more of the high road and not discuss it as much...the other keeps playing games in the media.

The Walker fiasco? Care to show any lies TT made there? Grant?

Even Moss...the only supposed lie was that TT said Favre did not talk much about it...though...why should he talk to Favre about it...he is the GM...not Favre.

Your idiot glasses won't let you understand simple facts...you instead chose to just make things up.

I think the truth lies somewhere between what Favre and what Thompson are saying...though one has continuously lied and been a snake throughout this process...the other keeps playing games in the media.

fixored

They probably saw who was on the Cover of Madden this year! :thumbsdown:

Really though, I can see why Green Bay is doing what they are doing. The have a young QB at the Helm and the worst thing for this guy's (Rodgers) confidence is to entertain the fact of Farve coming back. Lets face it, it would be one thing if this was the 1st time Farve considered retirement but it is a totally different thing considering the fact that he has done this before. Long story short, Farve is a major distraction for this team and its management.

Don't get me wrong, I think Farve is a Great, Great QB but you guys gotta give it to "dumb and dumber" on this one. They are playing cards right by sticking with their future franchise QB, now the question is how many draft picks is Farve worth.

Just my $.02

Don't get me wrong, I think Farve is a Great, Great QB but you guys gotta give it to "dumb and dumber" on this one.

Sweatmeat 34 has an alias :thumbsdown:

Sweatmeat 34 has an alias :headbanger:

Having trouble reading? He was making fun of sweetness...

Even Moss...the only supposed lie was that TT said Favre did not talk much about it...though...why should he talk to Favre about it...he is the GM...not Favre.

because you dont bring in a FA if he has issues with the qb...favre is the face of the franchise..the straw that stirs the drink..what makes this team go..favres seen more since 92 then tt has...

i wouldnt go around asking the entire team about a guy like moss..but favre definitely earned the right to have an opinion..it is his offense..

because you dont bring in a FA if he has issues with the qb...favre is the face of the franchise..the straw that stirs the drink..what makes this team go..favres seen more since 92 then tt has...

i wouldnt go around asking the entire team about a guy like moss..but favre definitely earned the right to have an opinion..it is his offense..

You mean like with Javon?

“I sure hope the Packers don’t give in to him,” he said. “I don’t sit up in the front office, and I don’t talk to them — regardless of what people might think — and tell them who to draft and who not to draft. They don’t ask me, and it’s not my job. My job is to throw passes and be a leader.

“That’s why I decided to speak up. I need to be a leader and even though I may not like having to do it, I think some things needed to be said.”

Seems Favre did not want to do that with Walker...but sure as hell wanted to be front office with Moss.

BTW...I agreed with just about everything he did with Walker...except his first line of hoping the Packers don't give in to him.

You mean like with Javon?

Seems Favre did not want to do that with Walker...but sure as hell wanted to be front office with Moss.

BTW...I agreed with just about everything he did with Walker...except his first line of hoping the Packers don't give in to him.

that was old favre..this is the new favre :doublethumbsup:

"....Nobody has bungled this situation more than Thompson. From the disingenuous "We Care About Favre's Legacy" stance, to the convenient and false statement that Favre could return to the team, Thompson has written the textbook on mismanagement...." :overhead: :nono:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...mp;sportCat=nfl

Do you enjoy bumping the same article that has been posted several times and is as one sidedly stupid as any article put out on this topic?

Looks like Brett Will only play for Minnesota - and the Packers and either keep him at 12.5 million a year to be a back up , trade him to minnesota and get maybe as high as a 2nd round pick , or out right release him.

I seriously think Brett is wearing Purple that first Monday night!

Moz,

You are dreaming if you think Favre will suit up in purple Monday night (Sept 8th).

What could happen is that Green Bay keeps Favre a few weeks into the season then grant him his release. By that time, changing QB's will be real difficult due to having to learn new offense, terminology etc.

Looks like Brett Will only play for Minnesota - and the Packers and either keep him at 12.5 million a year to be a back up , trade him to minnesota and get maybe as high as a 2nd round pick , or out right release him.

I seriously think Brett is wearing Purple that first Monday night!

And I seriously think you are delusional with that thought.

You have been delusional about TT getting fired...and your scenario above is the one instance in which TT would be gone shortly.

Currently, he has the support of the stockholders and executive committee.

And I seriously think you are delusional with that thought.

You have been delusional about TT getting fired...and your scenario above is the one instance in which TT would be gone shortly.

Currently, he has the support of the stockholders and executive committee.

Trust TT will get fired if this blows up in his face - which it likely will - How long will TT still be employed when Favre is going far in the playoffs with Minnesota and the Packers staying home?

IMO the only team he will go to is Minnesota ( HUGE QB need , GREAT line , great runnng game , solid but decent WR's , and a all world D ) -- the Packers can either invite Favre back ( which it appears is out of the question ) , let him go , or trade him to Minny an get draft picks.

MOnday Night game 1 in 08 might be the most watched ever!

Trust TT will get fired if this blows up in his face - which it likely will - How long will TT still be employed when Favre is going far in the playoffs with Minnesota and the Packers staying home?

IMO the only team he will go to is Minnesota ( HUGE QB need , GREAT line , great runnng game , solid but decent WR's , and a all world D ) -- the Packers can either invite Favre back ( which it appears is out of the question ) , let him go , or trade him to Minny an get draft picks.

MOnday Night game 1 in 08 might be the most watched ever!

Hello!!!!

I have already said the one way for TT to get fired is to trade or release Favre to let him go to Minny.

He is not going to Minny barring some crazy circumstances...IMO...TT is more than willing to let Favre sit this year consequences be damned, in order to not see Favre wearing the purple on opening night in Lambeau.

Hello!!!!

I have already said the one way for TT to get fired is to trade or release Favre to let him go to Minny.

He is not going to Minny barring some crazy circumstances...IMO...TT is more than willing to let Favre sit this year consequences be damned, in order to not see Favre wearing the purple on opening night in Lambeau.

sig bet then?

I absolutley think Favre is wearing purple monday night at Green Bay. Minny is the only team he wants to go to - either TT trade him and gets something back , realeases him and gets nothing , or had Brett come to camp and compete for the job ( which is all but really over as an option now ) The Commish will find a way to not not let the Packers just pay Brett 12 million to stay home when he wants to play.

sig bet then?

I absolutley think Favre is wearing purple monday night at Green Bay. Minny is the only team he wants to go to - either TT trade him and gets something back , realeases him and gets nothing , or had Brett come to camp and compete for the job ( which is all but really over as an option now ) The Commish will find a way to not not let the Packers just pay Brett 12 million to stay home when he wants to play.

The commish can not do a single thing if GB wants to pay Favre 12 mil to sit on their bench.

The commish can not do a single thing if GB wants to pay Favre 12 mil to sit on their bench.

this is true..what next? getting SJax into camp for the rams?

the commish cannot act as if 1 guy is more important than any other...

either way..the fans will blame brett and not the staff..you can see it already...rodgers will get out of this without a scratch..he has it made for 08..

And the fudgepackers are dumb enough to pay $12M for a back up (because their egos are too big and they cannot think straight) while offering $1.5M signing bonus to Ryan Grant. Very smart thinking....keep it up "dumb and dumber". At least you have homers like shonuff accepting everytying

Sort of like you accepting another year of Grossman and Orton running the Bears offense. Please take some Tylenol PM and operate some heavy machinery.

LIES...all of these articles and newstories are pure lies because they are not consistent with homer d!ck shonuff's green and gold colored positions :unsure:

The article was mostly opinion...no need to call it lies.

Its just hilarious.

Read Glazer's article...it was one sided too...just the other way.

As I have said...the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. I guess that makes me such a homer.

And the fudgepackers are dumb enough to pay $12M for a back up (because their egos are too big and they cannot think straight) while offering $1.5M signing bonus to Ryan Grant. Very smart thinking....keep it up "dumb and dumber". At least you have homers like shonuff accepting everytying

Yup...so accepting that I have said they have mishandled the Grant situation.

:unsure:

Facts are not really your strong suit are they?

On ESPN Radio, they just had breaking news that the "dumb and dumber" regime has their dumb President Murphy asking Favre to stay retired by offering him a $20M package for 10 years......ROTLMFAO.....you cannot make up such entertainment in the off season even if you tried. Go Favre....kill the fudgepackerss singlehandedly like you always did your pathetic playoff performances. :wall:

"Dumb and Dumber" is the correct name for this saga. I can see Ted Thompson telling Mike McCarthy that despite submitting his papers, there is a 1 in a million chance that Favre may still not want to really play and is just pulling a bluff stunt, and that Aaron Rodgers will win them a SB this year because homer shonuff believes so. And then McCarthy tells Thompson: "So you are telling me there is a chance?" <_<