Sign in to follow this  
peenie

exxon makes record profit....no kidding

is this legal?

It was the highest quarterly profit ever for any American company, as Exxon made nearly $90,000 a minute.

new york times

Manny Ramirez makes $13 million per inning. Is that legal? :wave:

yes.

it is legal for a company to make as much money as it can.

poor us :wave:

No, it's not legal. They are fiscally obligated to lose money for their shareholders/owners. :wave:

well azzholes if that's true, why not charge $30 a gallon for gas?

oh darn i know: because people couldn't afford to pay that much.

but i wonder why it took the gas companies so long to raise the prices?

they've been high in europe forever.

poor us :(

:dunno:

there's obviously a market for alternative energy.

it is only a matter of time before oil companies like exxon are outdated.

and the public will love the entrepreneur who mainstreams that alternative energy.

they will consider him (or her, it could be you peenie) a hero.

Until he starts making absurd amounts of money too.

Seriously, have you ever taken an economics class? :dunno:

Seriously, have you ever taken an economics class? :dunno:

nope :(

poor us :dunno:

Open an Oil company.

You really don't get it, do you?

Not to knock on you peenie, but we need to talk sometime.

you guys are mean! :overhead:

instead of telling me how dumb i am, why not explain things?

i admit i know nothing about business.

1. In a competitive market, companies set prices to maximize overall profits. In general, if you set the price higher, you sell less. Companies strive for that magical point.

2. Furthermore, in a commodity market (like gas, where there is no appreciable brand recognition to differentiate products), the market sets the price for the product. You may pay 2X, 3X, etc. for a Titlelist golf ball vs. Top Flite, because you perceive a sufficient value difference. You won't pay 2X for Exxon gas vs. any other gas.

HTH

1. In a competitive market, companies set prices to maximize overall profits. In general, if you set the price higher, you sell less. Companies strive for that magical point.

2. Furthermore, in a commodity market (like gas, where there is no appreciable brand recognition to differentiate products), the market sets the price for the product. You may pay 2X, 3X, etc. for a Titlelist golf ball vs. Top Flite, because you perceive a sufficient value difference. You won't pay 2X for Exxon gas vs. any other gas.

HTH

peenie's thoughts:

jerry seems pretty smart...i wonder if he has money...or is single...lol

Peenie,

The main reason gas is so expensive in Europe is they tax the tell out of it. Here are a couple of quotes that you'll find helpful:

On average, 60 percent of the price European drivers pay at the pump goes to their governments in taxes.

In Britain, the government takes 75 percent, and raises taxes by 5 percent above inflation every year (though it has forgone this year's rise in view of rocketing oil prices, and the French government has promised tax rebates this year to taxi drivers, truckers, fishermen, and others who depend heavily on gasoline.) On August 8, for example, the price of gas in the US, without taxes, would be $2.17, instead of $2.56; in Britain, it would be $1.97, instead of $6.06.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0826/p01s03-woeu.html

He is smart but in this case he's wrong. Taxes are the culprit in Europe, not free market economics.

Shutup, I'm internet working it here. :overhead:

peenie, I am whatever you want me to be. It is the interwebs. :doh:

But she doesn't give up the butt and wants to hear how your day went before she'll have sex. Is that really what you want in an internet hookup?

Your really pissing in my coffee here, Strike. :angry:

I used to have my doubts, but you really are black arent you.

I used to have my doubts, but you really are black arent you.

i think it's just me. i'm kind of dense when it comes to business and finance....and relationships. :headbanger:

Peenie, I'm not trying to be mean. JK explained it in it's basics, but he's dead on.

Free Markets dictate prices. If something costs too much from company X, company Y may sell it for cheaper, thus forcing company X to drop their prices or rick losing customers. That's why we have anti monopoly laws, making 1 company the only seller of a product, because they can sell that product at any price and U have to pay that price.

This is why Free Market economics is the best policy and why having government intervene or 'punish' companies from 'making' too much money, it hurts the whole ebb and flow of the free markets.

JK,

I owe you an apology. I was responding to Peenie's mid thread query about European gas prices and forget her original question about Exxon profits. Your answer was certainly applicable to her original question. Get back to working her now.

i think it's just me. i'm kind of dense when it comes to business and finance....and relationships. :cry:

Imagine the most caring thing I could say to assuage you right now. Look up "assuage," that's OK. Then imagine I said it. I'm that good. :headbanger:

JK,

I owe you an apology. I was responding to Peenie's mid thread query about European gas prices and forget her original question about Exxon profits. Your answer was certainly applicable to her original question. Get back to working her now.

No problem. I figured there was a mixup there, thought I'd just let it slide. Since you cackblocked me and all already. :headbanger:

No problem. I figured there was a mixup there, thought I'd just let it slide. Since you cackblocked me and all already. :cry:

Cackblocks Deletored. Seems appropriate given this is a Peenie thread. I'm sure the whole thread will be deletored by tomorrow morning. :headbanger:

Peenie, I'm not trying to be mean. JK explained it in it's basics, but he's dead on.

Free Markets dictate prices. If something costs too much from company X, company Y may sell it for cheaper, thus forcing company X to drop their prices or rick losing customers. That's why we have anti monopoly laws, making 1 company the only seller of a product, because they can sell that product at any price and U have to pay that price.

This is why Free Market economics is the best policy and why having government intervene or 'punish' companies from 'making' too much money, it hurts the whole ebb and flow of the free markets.

nice theory--except nearly every major product operates out of an oligopoly with just a few major players controlling all or most of the product. control and manipulation is much easier than you think.

nice theory--except nearly every major product operates out of an oligopoly with just a few major players controlling all or most of the product. control and manipulation is much easier than you think.

Actually I don't disagree with this in the current context. I suspect that the CEOs of oil companies get together in a cigar-smoke-filled room, and determine (illegally of course) what they want to charge for gas so that they all make cha-ching. Doesn't contradict my economics explanation though, or else they would walk out and say $30!@#

On a side note, why is everyone trying to cackblock me with peenie today? :first:

On a side note, why is everyone trying to cackblock me with peenie today? :shocking:

Uh, take your pick:

1) We're all uber jealous of your Istudliness.

2) We're trying to save you from making a huge mistake.

3) We think you're better suited to catch diseases from Itsjw.

:first:

Uh, take your pick:

1) We're all uber jealous of your Istudliness.

2) We're trying to save you from making a huge mistake.

3) We think you're better suited to catch diseases from Itsjw.

:first:

1) Understandable

2) Umm, it's the internet, nothing will actually happen, but you are missing out on potential web entertainment postings.

3) Probably

Let's not look just at the bottom dollar but %; sure the sensationalism of the dollar amount is staggering, but when the supply is low the demand....never mind, you all know this. Here are some reported statistics.

Yet nobody seems to take any of this into account because the average person doesn't buy a computer every week, nor do they pay their electricity bill every week. But because you fill your tank each week, you notice the dollars leaving your pocket sooner. I'm not cheering for the oil industry, but let's not be so quick to condemn them because of our use of gas.

Exxon - second quarter income rose 14 percent Exxon

Microsoft - Revenue rose 18 percent, Microsoft

Ameren Corp. - 76-percent boost in its first quarter 2007 Ameren :rolleyes:

Never said I was naive about how it really works. Just that;s the fundamentals behind it.

Oh, I know all too well we're getting shafted around everu corner.

Exxon is the same focking company that had their friends on the U.S. Supreme Court slash the punitive damages they owed for the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska. Like those fockers couldn't afford to pay up... :rolleyes:

Can we get back to peenie diddling her button thinking about me please? Focus, people, focus. :music_guitarred:

Can we get back to peenie diddling her button thinking about me please? Focus, people, focus. :music_guitarred:

peenie is dumb for saying that. You will never let her forget it. I wouldn't either though. :doublethumbsup:

peenie is dumb for saying that. You will never let her forget it. I wouldn't either though. :music_guitarred:

Hey, who am I to stop peenie from lathering her body with baby oil, slowly caressing her small but existant breasts, circling her areolae, finally pinching her nipples to an slight but audible gasp, thinking about me?

I'm going to get this thread locked, aren't I? :doublethumbsup:

At least she can't delete it! :music_guitarred:

It's her thread, so umm... she can, and probably will. Please delete your post ASAP, TIA

Hey, who am I to stop peenie from lathering her body with baby oil, slowly caressing her small but existant breasts, circling her areolae, finally pinching her nipples to an slight but audible gasp, thinking about me?

I'm going to get this thread locked, aren't I? :(

:pointstosky: bathroom break (except the part about you)

It is really quite simple. Gasoline is expensive and ExxonMobil has a lot of it.

Pssst. Peenie.... Now here is something that they don't want you to know. You can get gasoline by giving a guy a BJ. Try it some time.

My wife supplies a gas station