Sign in to follow this  
SuperSteelers

Solid receiver NO ONE is talking about

The receiver I am talking about is Bernard Berrian. He had over 900 yards and 5 tds I think on a very bad Bears team last season. When I mean bad, he had Grossman chuckin' him the ball. With that being said, and him now a Viking, what expectations can you expect. I love the fact that teams will be stacking the line to try and stop the most explosive RB in the league in AP. Berrian can stretch the field and should play mostly in one on one coverage. I think he is a very logical choice to have a great season for the Vikings. I know Jackson isn't the most season veteran in the league, but he is serviceable. I would choose him over the likes of Sullivan, Pennington, Warner, etc. He will have another year under his belt, and could put up Jason Campbell numbers from a year ago.

Berrian's line for this season

76 catches, 978 yards, and 7 tds.

I think he could produce those numbers this year definatly. The reason nobody is talking about him is that those numbers are his ceiling in my opinion. There are other recievers out there that have the potential to go off (Cotchery, Jennings, S. Moss)

The reason nobody is talking about him is that those numbers are his ceiling in my opinion.

What he said.

Those numbers are nice, but he's not very consistent week to week. I think of him like Lee Evans where a few long passes every other week make up most of his stats. I wouldn't mind having him as a #3, but be prepared for hit or miss weeks.

Jeese, you introduced this guy like you are a used car salesman (selling Ford Pintos).

The problem with this guy is, the team is a run first team that has a below average QB.

Granted I drafted 10 days ago but I have them all...

1. M Harrison - people let him slide for no good reason

2. B. Marshall - people let him slide for a 2 game suspension

3. Megatron - people let him slide because he was injured last year and his QB Kitna

4. R. Meachem - people didnt draft because of a silly depth chart!

:dunno:

The biggest plus Berrian has this year over last is his home field. He will be able to take advantage of his speed more and his qb will be fighting the wind less.

Berrian has improved in each of his 4 seasons and as the OP mentioned he will be seeing a lot of single coverage this year. I really don't think 978 yards is his ceiling at all.

You can get Walker , Crayton , - heck I would rather have Patten late in drafts than waste a early pick on Berrian with Tavarius as his QB -- 60 - 800 - 5 MAYBE. Actually I would choose Rice as the Minny WR anyway.

i liked crayton alot couldnt get him from where i drafted, but i did get meachem , doesnt matter if he starts or is the 3rd in that offense actually if he stays 3rd he will most likely have a safety covering him, and he will do all the things DEVERY HENDERSON could not do last year.....

Grossman's a better passer than Jackson. That's right, I said it. Put Grossman on that team and he'll get to the Superbowl. Oh wait, he already did with a team with a good ground game and superior defence.

Minny won't pass nearly enough for Berrian to reach those kinds of numbers. Berrian's not even the best WR on the team. He's worth a roster spot, but I don't see any room for optimism.

Jeese, you introduced this guy like you are a used car salesman (selling Ford Pintos).

The problem with this guy is, the team is a run first team that has a below average QB.

And how is that different from Chicago? He's not in a worse situation than Chicago, he has a decent 2nd WR in Rice who may attract coverage, he has 2 good RBs behind him...the only thing I agree with so far is that he'll be wildly inconsistent on a week to week basis. I don't think having Tarvaris will be as big a knock as people think, considering he had Orton and Grossman behind him before and still put up decent #s.

Eddie Royal will out perform Bernard Berrian.

Tarvaris has been connecting with Berrian real well in preaseason before they each got dinged with minor injuries. Berrian makes a very good WR3 in 12 team ppr leagues. Yes, I've got him and I took him at 7.03.

There are about 4 guys that should be on this list and two have been named already.

Bernard Berrian

Santana Moss

Hines Ward - He went in the 8th maybe even 9th round in my draft. Yes I know he is getting older, but damn he still has great value especially in PPR leagues.

Derrick Mason - see Hines Ward. Donte Stallworth was drafted before him. :rolleyes:

Is Tarvaris a major upgrade over Rex? No. Did the Bears have Adrian Peterson? Sort of.

I will be very surprised if Berrian comes close to those numbers from last season. Regardless he is at best a bye week fill in.

Um . . . how about a guy who was in the top five in yards per game over the second half of last season? Who?

Yeah, that's right. Justin Gage.

Grossman's a better passer than Jackson. That's right, I said it. Put Grossman on that team and he'll get to the Superbowl. Oh wait, he already did with a team with a good ground game and superior defence.

Minny won't pass nearly enough for Berrian to reach those kinds of numbers. Berrian's not even the best WR on the team. He's worth a roster spot, but I don't see any room for optimism.

Very well said. :thumbsup:

:headbanger:

I guess he is an ok #4th receiver to have on your team, but how many TD's is MInny going to throw about ~12 again if Jackson is QB, so he is not going to get in the endzone much, and they obvioulsy a run first team, so yeah I woudl much rather take a Ginn Jr. then Berrian

I'll take Sidney Rice 3 rounds later and get nearly the same #'s as Berrian. I look for Rice to double his #'s from last year...60 receipts, 900 or so yrds, 6-8 TD range, especially with Berrian on the other side drawing deep coverage on balls that will never get thrown to him.

Um . . . how about a guy who was in the top five in yards per game over the second half of last season? Who?

I have like 6 of Waldman's 2nd Half wonders on my dynasty roster, including Gage and Rice who I mentioned before. I'd love for Vince and Gage to start off on fire so I can move them for some upgrades, but people don't realize how much improvement they showed toward the end of last year.

I have like 6 of Waldman's 2nd Half wonders on my dynasty roster, including Gage and Rice who I mentioned before. I'd love for Vince and Gage to start off on fire so I can move them for some upgrades, but people don't realize how much improvement they showed toward the end of last year.

Thumbs up!

I'm not a Vince Young fan, but I can't keep looking at those stats and ignore them. He's obviously throwing the ball consistently to Mr. Gage. Sign me up.

I like Bernard Berrian this year. I think an improvement on last year’s stats is very likely, making him a very nice WR3. He will lack some consistency, but have his big weeks as well.

Mr. Berrian is a really nice guy. We had great synergy. He used to get mad at me for underthrowing the deep balls and I would try to explain that I am a noodle arm with a neck beard, but he wouldnt listen. He should do great things in Minnesota though.

As long as his QB is Jackson, I am not drafting him. He may get some ok stats, but with Jackson there will be inconsistent production for Berrian.

Mr. Berrian is a really nice guy. We had great synergy. He used to get mad at me for underthrowing the deep balls and I would try to explain that I am a noodle arm with a neck beard, but he wouldnt listen. He should do great things in Minnesota though.

:unsure:

Leading WR for the Vikings last year:

Bobby Wade - 54 receptions, 647 yards, 3 TD's.

I think that those numbers the OP gave is the ceiling for Berrian. Passing is just something the Vikings will do to keep defenses honest. They will win with old school football, pound the football with the run on O, and play good D.

My draft has been deemed subpar by the experts here in the staff league. My sig contains my roster. :music_guitarred:

I think Josh Reed could become a bigtime sleeper this year. Watching him play makes me think Hines Ward without a lot of targets. Edwards seems to like going to him thus far from what Ive seen.

Is Tarvaris a major upgrade over Rex? No. Did the Bears have Adrian Peterson? Sort of.

I will be very surprised if Berrian comes close to those numbers from last season. Regardless he is at best a bye week fill in.

Uhhhh...what?

I guess he isn't a sleeper, but he is relatively unknown. I agree, good pick. :(